London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

Good Point but I think you forget the mentality of the people you are dealing with. The lighting of the Cauldron was not meant to be seen by the people who didn't see it. It was supposed to be fore the international television audience and the dignitaries and media. All about the show of power to the world not to it's own people. Come on these people put a pretty girl in place of the one that actually sang the song just because she was more television friendly. I think they were too far sighted in their planning lol

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Point but I think you forget the mentality of the people you are dealing with. The lighting of the Cauldron was not meant to be seen by the people who didn't see it. It was supposed to be fore the international television audience and the dignitaries and media. All about the show of power to the world not to it's own people. Come on these people put a pretty girl in place of the one that actually sang the song just because she was more television friendly. I think they were too far sighted in their planning lol

Look in some of the other threads here. The IOC Charter specifically states that their cauldron must be seen by (most) people at the event. Of course, there are exceptions (as in the aforementioned cases); but even Vancouver which had an entirely enclosed stadium, fulfilled the IOC's cauldron dictates. So my point is, because of inherent structural considerations...and, yes, they DO NOT have Ceremonial thinkers in there way ahead of time, the cauldron just gets put wherever they can fit it in.

In a perfect world, yes, they would have Show Production people on board early, but....

Not so sure about that. Beijing definitely had the lighting in mind. Do u all remember the original plans for the stadium during the bid process. It looked nothing like the plans they had after they won the bid and i am talking like the next day the stadium design changed. Cauldron fit so seamlessly with the architecture of the stadium and you have to add the branding with the scroll Idea with the torch which also fit with the paper theme of the ceremony.

All renders of stadiums shown during the bid phase change. Take at look at Sydney's and London's, for example. They're just renders, not actual designs with engineering and costs and whatnot taken into account.

Beijing held a competition to choose its stadium design. The Bird's Nest won. And then the 2008 ceremonies team had to stage their show and design a cauldron with the venue they were given. They did a really good job coming up with a cultural segment and cauldron lighting sequence that played off one of the stadium's unique architectural features, that thick roof rim. The rim's size was always going to be that big, but I believe it was the specific material/fabric that covered it that was what ceremony organizers played with and altered in order to play projections on it.

It had nothing to do with Beijing wanting to make the lighting "international tv audience-focused." Let's not be cynical.

Architecturally, I don't think Beijing's cauldron particularly matches the Bird's Nest harmoniously. But its red and silver color brought it together aesthetically with the rest of the stadium so it didn't stick out in an ugly way. But I would say Beijing did the best job synthesizing its lighting sequence with its stadium design, closely followed by Sydney.

Athens had the one cauldron that best matched its stadium's architecture (as it was all designed by Calatrava), closely followed by LA.

And Salt Lake and Beijing had the cauldrons that best matched their Games' Look and Image.

What is 'part of it'? NOT good enough. The stem? The bottom? More importantly where?? You should've wrestled her to the ground, Mitch, until she took you to the backroom and let you take a foto!! :lol:

Haha. I think I could've got more out of her, actually. But we got talking about how well it'd been kept a secret and I bottled it - I don't want to spoil the surprise for myself!

Back to the cauldron location...

Getty images has some pictures of the area north of the stadium from the last few days. For instance this one dated July 17. There is no sign of any work going on outside the first ring of pods. So I think we can rule out the white square on the edge there that people were so interested in as of last week. I still think near the "double size pod" is the right position.

Soooo forgive me if this has been suggested before, but:

We've seen photos of a spotlight on the roof of the stadium. And then another photo emerged of another spotlight next to it. And Heatherwick himself said it wasn't just going to be a 'thing', it was going to be an event. What if those spotlights were for people. And instead of two, there's a spotlight behing EACH pyramid on the roof. For somebody with a torch to light a flame on top of each pyramid section. In in an instant, the cauldron has is revealed to have been right infront of our very own eyes.

Is there a rule saying there must only be one cauldron? Perhaps the plan is to have flames burning atop the stadium from each pyramid for the entirety of the games.

It's a bit of a mental suggestion...but there ya go.

Rio is using the existing Maracana for their OC stadium. I have not heard anything about major renovations, certainly nothing close to the scale of Athens.

As if they're NOT having enough problems trying to place (and hide) ONE cauldron...and you want more than one?? :blink:

What makes you think there are problems? As near as I can see they've hidden it quite successfully. I'm not aware of any information that indicates London's cauldron isn't going exactly according to plan.

Rio is using the existing Maracana for their OC stadium. I have not heard anything about major renovations, certainly nothing close to the scale of Athens.

Actual;ly, a fair bit of renovation (for the WC as well as the Olympics).

These pics are off SSC:

Old:

maracana10.jpg

Now:

15052012aniversariomaracan012.jpg

Planned:

comemoracaomaracana04.jpg

comemoracaomaracana05.jpg

Is it too early to play "Mark the Cauldron Location"?

What makes you think there are problems? As near as I can see they've hidden it quite successfully. I'm not aware of any information that indicates London's cauldron isn't going exactly according to plan.

U are so ANAL. Alright, maybe I should've said "perceived problems for outsiders."

Satisfied? Happy? :rolleyes: Sheesh. everything's got 2 be spelled out 4 u.

Actual;ly, a fair bit of renovation (for the WC as well as the Olympics).

These pics are off SSC:

Old:

maracana10.jpg

Now:

15052012aniversariomaracan012.jpg

Planned:

comemoracaomaracana04.jpg

comemoracaomaracana05.jpg

I didn't realize the renovations were so extensive. I'm sure the inside will be far more logistically friendly and up-to-date, but it appears that the exterior look of the stadium will be almost exactly the same. As for AustraliaFan's point about a cauldron being designed into the new stadium, it seems unlikely since the facade will be reconstructed in such a similar manner. In that respect it is different from Athens.

I didn't realize the renovations were so extensive. I'm sure the inside will be far more logistically friendly and up-to-date, but it appears that the exterior look of the stadium will be almost exactly the same.

Yeah, well I think they were constrained in that because they were dealing with such a Brazilian heritage icon.

I assume the location for the cauldron's gonna big a big debating point here in four years time considering their split Ceremonies/athletic stadiums plan.

U are so ANAL. Alright, maybe I should've said "perceived problems for outsiders."

Satisfied? Happy? :rolleyes: Sheesh. everything's got 2 be spelled out 4 u.

Seriously. I have seen NO evidence that London is experiencing any problems at all with their cauldron. I don't understand your response.

Yeah, well I think they were constrained in that because they were dealing with such a Brazilian heritage icon.

I assume the location for the cauldron's gonna big a big debating point here in four years time considering their split Ceremonies/athletic stadiums plan.

Right. I still don't understand that one. It seems like Maracana could conceivably host athletics -- especially considering their extensive remodel. I guess it's treasured as a football venue and the idea of hosting anything else there doesn't fly with the Brazilians. Call me a traditionalist, but I'm having trouble adjusting to this part of their plan. Plus there's a certain sour taste to Joao Havelange stadium now...

So another prominent roof structure that makes a cauldron's location hard to guess with Rio? And the added two-stadium dynamic? Don't even one to begin thinking about that one. :wacko:

Or could London get away with not re-lighting the 1948 Cauldron ?

I think so. I mean, would there really be any controversy? Would anyone outside of an intern forum really care?

Headline: "Games kick off, but London dose not re-light 1948 Cauldron. Olympic tradition stopped, upsetting... two people"

Doubtful.

Personally, I feel like the calls to have multiple cauldrons (or re-light old previous ones) in order pay homage and symbolize a city's past hosting is, as the Brit's would say, rather naff. Especially in this case when the 1948 cauldron is such a nonevent of a design. But that's me.

I couldn't find record of a Cauldron at the 1932 Lake Placid Games )

They didn't have one. LA picked it up as a summer-only tradition then. And then Garmisch-P was the first Winter one. And Berlin's Lewald and Diem hadn't given much thought to doing a Winter Torch Relay, as they were just debuting that for Berlin.

So this is my first post, I don't even know if I am doing this right but if you're reading this I must be. So I have a couple of ways I would handle the cauldron if I were the head honcho person, I see both of these possibilities as flawed or implausible at the present time, but it is still fun to speculate. The first is that I would have installed the cauldron years ago as a part of the construction of the stadium when no ones thinking about it, then I would have everyone act like it still needed to be installed. Send out runoff or speculations, just to spice things up. My other option would be to have a sort of instant (and currently impractical) cauldron that could be set up during the OC. Anyone Else like either of these ideas althogh highly improbable?

welcome, OlympicNagol.

Generally, organizers don't think that far in advance. And setting up the cauldron is really way down on the list of putting on and getting a city/country ready for an Olympic Games. It's only in really anally-compulsive boards like this one and SkyscraperCity where nut...enthusiasts like us spend days, hours, weeks obsessing over that little thing. And it gets moved to another location in the end...

I personally doubt there will be recognition of the 1908 or the 1948 Games above any past games. Perhaps they may pay tribute to past host cities but, I don't know, I just don't think they'll see the importance in pointing out they have hosted it before.

The only way I could see them paying tribute to their past efforts as hosts could be in, perhaps, a video at the start before the bell tolls.

Archived