The GamesBids 2036 Olympic Games Poll  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which city/country will the IOC choose to stage the 2036 Summer Olympic Games?

• Germany (Rene-Ruhr/Munich, Hamburg/Berlin)
    • India (Ahmedabad)
    • Doha, Qatar
    • Spain (Madrid)
    • Indonesia (Nusantara)
    • Budapest, Hungary
    • United Kingdom (London/nortth)
    • South Korea (Seoul/Busan)
    • China (Beijing/Shanghai)
    • Mexico (Mexic City/Guadalajara/Monterey)
    • Egypt (Cairo)
    • Warsaw, Poland
    • Rome, Italy
    • Russia (Moscow, St Petersburg, Kazan)
    • Santiago, Chile
    • Canada (Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver)
    • Istanbul, Turkey
    • Other (post your ideas/suggestion)
  2. 2. When will the IOC name the host for the 2036 Smmer Olympic Games?

11 minutes ago, Guilga said:

Saudi Arabia. 

You could argue that Doha, and Qatar by proxy, might be already filling the Middle East favorite candidate role, but the bigger power in the region will host Asian Games in 2034, alongside a World Cup almost guaranteed in the same year. Pulling those two togheter at the same time, alongside a growing investment of the Saudi Kingdom in sport soft power to make the rough transition to no-oil land easier... Of course, the same problems Qatar has are amplified in this case, but if the OCA is fine to have them their Asiad, Summer and Winter 

Fair assessment, but at the same time, can hosting all that too close together be more a hindrance than a help (like it was claimed with Brazil with the 2014 WC & the 2016 Olympics)? Very few countries could handle all that at once, even if one of them has the cash to burn.

Doh-a is also hosting the 2030 Asian Games & has the 2022 WC already under their belt. Plus, more importantly I'd say, does Bachy have any close chums within Saudi Arabia like he does with Qatar? Doha has also been trying to court an Olympics for much longer than Saudi Arabia has, so I don't think the Qatari's would take too kindly in being snubbed yet again, & this time by their new-to-the-Olympic Game scene neighbor. 

11 minutes ago, Guilga said:

(Renember Trojena?), whos to say. 

Yeah, all the more reason to spread the Olympic spirit in the Middle East then. Qatar gets the summer in Doh-a & Saudi Arabia gets the winter in Trojan, excuse me, Trojena (& that way Bachy doesn't piss off the Qatari's yet again)! :lol:

59 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Which is sorta the point. With the “New Norm” we really have no idea of when it’s too early, and can only guess from the little we can piece together who’s in contention or what their chances might be. It’s more of a snapshot of where our current thoughts and predictions are now, and a bit of a challenge to see who ends up guessing right. And it’s always been the main interest here on GamesBids to try and pick the next host(s) - it's what most of us came here for.

Yeah, I was thinking when you created the thread, that this kinda takes us back a bit to the good ole Olympic bidding days of yesteryear. Pondering with what we already know, & with what we have to speculate, to try to the determine the final outcome. 

And we already know enough about Bach & his "friends" to read the tea-leaves enough on how this is most likely going to play out. Not much different really, to when we here furiously debating what the ultimate outcomes were gonna be back in the Olympic bidding-cycle race days

16 minutes ago, FYI said:

Fair assessment, but at the same time, can hosting all that too close together be more a hindrance than a help (like it was claimed with Brazil with the 2014 WC & the 2016 Olympics)? Very few countries could handle all that at once, even if one of them has the cash to burn.

If anyone can do it, it's them with their endless money and also their negatively remarkable labor laws.

41 minutes ago, FYI said:

Yeah, I was thinking when you created the thread, that this kinda takes us back a bit to the good ole Olympic bidding days of yesteryear. Pondering with what we already know, & with what we have to speculate, to try to the determine the final outcome. 

Yeah, that what I had in mind. We’ve got numerous indvidual threads on particular cities and countries for 2036, but most are concerned with assessing those in isolation (or even just wondering if they’re actually even contenders or not). But I felt we hadn’t had one yet trying to look at the overall picture, forecasting the likeliest winners amongst them or looking at their chances against each other.  

14 hours ago, FYI said:

which one is the one your 'brain' tells you then *(if not India or Qatar).

Probably Seoul. They're arguably one of the most prepared cities (that has expressed interest), they're currently renovating and upgrading several venues including the Olympic Stadium for a 2036 bid, and the mostly positive memories of PyeongChang 2018 and Gangwon 2024 are likely still on the IOC's mind.

A Seoul bid allows the IOC to once again reposition themselves as a "peace bringing organization" like they did for PyeongChang, which you know they definitely want considering the past 2 years. It also lets them boast once again about how good Olympic legacies are with many 1988 venues probably making a comeback for a 2036 Games.

From a PR perspective, Seoul makes the most sense, and I could see the IOC going to them for this.

The only way I can see Seoul, is as some sort of an “insurance policy” (as some here would like to say) if something has gone really wrong with India or Qatar within the next couple of years, & there’s really no other option from anywhere else either, for Bach & Co. to cling on to. 

I’d agree that Seoul would be considered as a “safe pair of hands”. But as someone else noted earlier, the next three (four if we retrospectively count Tokyo) Summer Olympic Games are already in safe, reliable countries (barring the Brisbane mess, of course, but as a country, Australia is a safe bet). So going to a “new-frontier” per se for 2036 shouldn’t be that far of a stretch at this point. Especially when Bach & Co. is itching to go that route anyway it seems. 

As far as the PR goes, Bach & Co. has a good way of spinning it how they see fit anyway, so that shouldn’t be too much of a concern, particularly with India, which now could boast - “we’re now the biggest country on earth that’s yet to host the Olympic Games” (like China did with 2008).

14 hours ago, FYI said:

Yeah, definitely would be more excited myself as well if it were Delhi or Mumbai, but not so much Ahmeda-bad

I feel like the era of countries putting out only their “alpha” cities is coming to an end especially with the new norm. Because this would be Indias first time hosting the Olympics, it would make so much more sense for Delhi or Mumbai to be chosen especially since they are indias truly global cities. I’m worried that Ahmedabad will be the final bid considering all the sports infrastructure being built. I wish India would pick one of their alpha cities for the occasion

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, venuedesignlover said:

I feel like the era of countries putting out only their “alpha” cities is coming to an end especially with the new norm. Because this would be Indias first time hosting the Olympics, it would make so much more sense for Delhi or Mumbai to be chosen especially since they are indias truly global cities. I’m worried that Ahmedabad will be the final bid considering all the sports infrastructure being built. I wish India would pick one of their alpha cities for the occasion

That has to do more with where certain high-ranking officials are from moreso, than that's what the "new-norm" is necessarily going for. India's PM Modi is from Gujurat, the state where Ahmedabad is located, & where Bach is now so buddy, buddy with. And Brisbane, well, that's John Coates (an IOC VP) adopted home town. And he moved heaven & earth to make 2032 happen for them. 

It's a lot like how then IOC president JAS, worked very hard to get his hometown of Barcelona (another obscure city at the time) the 1992 Summer Olympics. If you look at the current list of the "crowded field of interested parties" for 2036, the vast majority are those countries' principal cities. The only outlier there is really Ahmedabad, where of course, Bach currently has his deep interests in (oh, & Nusantra in Indonesia. But they really have no chance, though).

10 hours ago, FYI said:

That has to do more with where certain high-ranking officials are from moreso, than that's what the "new-norm" is necessarily going for. India's PM Modi is from Gujurat, the state where Ahmedabad is located, & where Bach is now so buddy, buddy with. And Brisbane, well, that's John Coates (an IOC VP) adopted home town. And he moved heaven & earth to make 2032 happen for them. 

It's a lot like how then IOC president JAS, worked very hard to get his hometown of Barcelona (another obscure city at the time) the 1992 Summer Olympics. If you look at the current list of the "crowded field of interested parties" for 2036, the vast majority are those countries' principal cities. The only outlier there is really Ahmedabad, where of course, Bach currently has his deep interests in (oh, & Nusantra in Indonesia. But they really have no chance, though).

I know this is very early on in the bid process (but who knows these days), but I wish the IOC would show a bit more hesitance to the Ahmedabad bid. It probably suits Bachs political interests, but for the first Indian Olympics to be in Ahmedabad should raise some red flags, and make the IOC put more pressure on India for a Delhi or Mumbai bid

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bear said:

Probably Seoul. They're arguably one of the most prepared cities (that has expressed interest), they're currently renovating and upgrading several venues including the Olympic Stadium for a 2036 bid, and the mostly positive memories of PyeongChang 2018 and Gangwon 2024 are likely still on the IOC's mind.

A Seoul bid allows the IOC to once again reposition themselves as a "peace bringing organization" like they did for PyeongChang, which you know they definitely want considering the past 2 years. It also lets them boast once again about how good Olympic legacies are with many 1988 venues probably making a comeback for a 2036 Games.

From a PR perspective, Seoul makes the most sense, and I could see the IOC going to them for this.

You make good points --but unless the German 2036 bid steps up and can find a way to tell a story that does not bring up horrible memories of Berlin 1936 or Munich 1972, it would really be Europe's turn.  Going back to Seoul--as excellent a host as they may be--would make 3 Pacific-based SOGs in a row (and 4 starting with Tokyo, but being interrupted by Paris--although of course, Paris has Tahiti in there for "spoilers" ;) ).  Never happened before.  But if Kia and another Korean conglomerate stepped in as TOPartners next year--in time for the probable selection time of 2027/8, then Seoul would be the one to beat for 2036.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
xx
  • Like 1

After looking at the list of "crowded field of interested parties" again, but this time on a global map, the more I'm convinced it's going to be either India or Qatar. The Americas', Africa & obviously Australia, are basically out. So that leaves 2036 to either Europe or Asia. 

Yes, you would think that 2036 would be Europe's "turn" (that's how I was interpreting it before, but that was at a time when the FULL membership still had a say in the matter), but it really looks that the "IOC" under Bach & Co. thumb these days, his special interests trump everything else. I've always said in the past anyway, that if the IOC was to ever go more than 12 years outside Europe, it would be for some new-frontier, but back then, I was mainly thinking about South Africa in that scenario. But India or Qatar can also fit that bill.

For Europe:

it's basically Germany (but I have a feeling now that they're, along with the DOSB, are gonna be treated much the same Sweden & the SOK were for 2030. The "thanks for playing. You really are a good applicant & have good qualifications, but we're still going to go with someone else instead anyway".

Madrid & (ambiguous) Istanbul I believe more now will always be Olympic bridesmaids. They'll eventually join the likes of Detroit & Ostersund in that category. Poland has already backed out. And Budapest I think is just not big enough for Bach's special tastes these days.

And then there's Rome. Maybe the Italians could once again just swoop-in & snag the Olympic plum like they did with Milan. Italy seems to be becoming fascist-leaning these days for the big-B's taste.

Then we move on to Asia (that are not India & Qatar):

Indonesia? Yeah, right. They have so much work to do with their "future city" that they'll need literally decades to get it ready. China & South Korea are really just back-up plans if all else fails in Bach's sphere.

So that's basically it. The signs are already there, even this early on (just like they were with Brisbane 2032), that 2036 is going to be somewhere in West or South Asia. A "new frontier" after four straight Summer Olympics in a "safe pair of hands".

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, venuedesignlover said:

I know this is very early on in the bid process (but who knows these days), but I wish the IOC would show a bit more hesitance to the Ahmedabad bid. It probably suits Bachs political interests, but for the first Indian Olympics to be in Ahmedabad should raise some red flags, and make the IOC put more pressure on India for a Delhi or Mumbai bid

I totally agree with you. But one thing you should keep in mind, that whenever we say the "IOC" these days, it really is just Bach & Co. & his special "friends". Yes, for your first Olympics, a country should put their best foot forward, that was always the thinking before (it really should've been Melbourne 2032 instead of Brisbane). But now with (Bach's) "new-norm", the game (pun intended) has changed significantly. And it's not about what makes the most sense anymore from the outside looking in. But about what makes the most sense for Bach & Co. & his special interests.

On 3/30/2024 at 2:50 AM, iceman530 said:

Feeling the starts are alighing for Istanbul this time.  Old airport site has all the space needed to build a sports hub and athlete housing.  

They already have a half ready Olympic Park just north of the old airport that was central to their 2008 bid. Would need a refurb, but the facilities are there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

But if Kia and another Korean conglomerate stepped in as TOPartners next year--in time for the probable selection time of 2027/8, then Seoul would be the one to beat 

Lol, speaking of PR, that probably might not be such a hot idea, considering the bad publicity Kia vehicles have been getting over the last few years. 

There's no denying that a Seoul bid would be technically very viable, but new-norm or not, you should know as well as anyone who's followed these things for quite a while, that the best technical bid doesn't always get you the prize. The whole "piece bringing organization" bit is also quite overblown. If anything, another South Korean Games could potentially just cause more tension with the North. Plus, the IOC just got off their trio of East Asian Games. They'll likely want to take a break from that region a bit while longer.

1 hour ago, FYI said:

Lol, speaking of PR, that probably might not be such a hot idea, considering the bad publicity Kia vehicles have been getting over the last few years. 

There's no denying that a Seoul bid would be technically very viable, but new-norm or not, you should know as well as anyone who's followed these things for quite a while, that the best technical bid doesn't always get you the prize. The whole "piece bringing organization" bit is also quite overblown. If anything, another South Korean Games could potentially just cause more tension with the North. Plus, the IOC just got off their trio of East Asian Games. They'll likely want to take a break from that region a bit while longer.

But not if there are no viable bidders.  Between Doha/India and Seoul, I'd go back to Seoul any old day.  

51 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

But not if there are no viable bidders.  Between Doha/India and Seoul, I'd go back to Seoul any old day.  

Oh, okay. I didn't realize that you were part of the IOC Exco. lol

1 hour ago, Tony E Loves Watersports said:

He is in truth my brother, mon frère Pierre Estanguet! It is très triste, very sad. We ‘ave been estranged for many years. I miss Mon chere brother!

You owe me those front-row seats for the OC Protocol portions at Le Troc!!  Non billets -- non rapprochement!! B)

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2024 at 4:15 PM, iceman530 said:

Through an IOC lens, thats a blessing and a curse.

Ironically this is one of the few things both Erdogan and the opposition are alligned lol. Getting the Olympics seems a national goal regardless who's in power. 

Also, after yesterday's election, the current mayor of Istanbul is positioning as the odds favourite (of two) to dethrone Erdogan's succesor. Win-win for the IOC. 

Also I voted for Istanbul. The recent statements of the European Games had been clear Istanbul is having the European vote in favour this time (Even dropping Madrid). 

Anyway, it's still not late for Italy (Rome) to steal the thunder. As part of the Roman-Latin chauvinist pride linked with Madama Giorgia's own ego to surpass her master this can be so tempted to avoid. After all, the country is still hosting and bidding for different events.