Salt Lake City 2034

That's weird. Figured that feasibility study would've been one of the first things that they would've done by now, considering it's the main key issue from SLC putting 2030 in it's shopping bag already.

But what's also interesting, is that the USOC is also "optimistic" about 2030, nontheless. Seems to me then, that the IOC would prefer SLC for the earlier Games rather than the latter. And it's just a matter of ironing out the sponsorship issues with LA28.

Also noteworthy - Lyons: "we know that Salt Lake City offers a great opportunity for Winter Games that are athlete-centric, spectator-friendly, environmentally-conscience in a state that **overwhelmingly supports** hosting the Games".

That should answer anyone's question of how much support SLC actually has for another Winter Olympics.

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, stryker said:

Given Sapporo's lack of public support, I disagree. 2030 is a near lock for Salt Lake City at this point.

Possibly.  But Sapporo have not yet held their survey of public opinion and the last I heard it was going to be held “some time after the Beijing Olympics”.

14 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Possibly.  But Sapporo have not yet held their survey of public opinion and the last I heard it was going to be held “some time after the Beijing Olympics”.

The public support numbers for Sapporo have been trending downward. I highly doubt you are going to see a huge jump in support after Beijing concludes, no matter how well Japan does in the medal tally. Memories of the financial fiasco of Tokyo are going to be fresh in people's minds, and so far the only argument the Sapporo organizers have had to counter with is something along the lines of "we promise this will be different" and that's not going to be enough. It goes back to the IOC's PR problem.

I still believe in will be the 2050s before Japan has the support for another Olympics bid, winter or summer.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, stryker said:

The public support numbers for Sapporo have been trending downward. I highly doubt you are going to see a huge jump in support after Beijing concludes, no matter how well Japan does in the medal tally. Memories of the financial fiasco of Tokyo are going to be fresh in people's minds, and so far the only argument the Sapporo organizers have had to counter with is something along the lines of "we promise this will be different" and that's not going to be enough. It goes back to the IOC's PR problem.

I still believe in will be the 2050s before Japan has the support for another Olympics bid, winter or summer.

I agree.  But the IOC Future Host Commission will wait for Sapporo’s public survey results to be offically known before they elevate Salt Lake City to Targeted Dialogue as preferred candidate.  From their, judging on Brisbane’s experience as the first through this new way, it took 6 months from that elevated stage to the Host Vote.

On 2/11/2022 at 9:44 PM, AustralianFan said:

I agree.  But the IOC Future Host Commission will wait for Sapporo’s public survey results to be offically known before they elevate Salt Lake City to Targeted Dialogue as preferred candidate.  From their, judging on Brisbane’s experience as the first through this new way, it took 6 months from that elevated stage to the Host Vote.

I originally thought we might see SLC elevated to targeted dialogue status by the start of the Beijing Olympics, and yes I think they are awaiting the results of the Sapporo referendum, however, IMO I think there's other factors at play.

SLC and the USOPC have the IOC over a rather large barrell. Vancouver, Sapporo, and whatever Spain (I'm skeptical of those Catalan numbers from their recent poll) wants to call their bid have serious public support issues. SLC does not and it's about as ready to go as any city can be and the IOC really has no other options for 2030. Of course the underlying issue is the sponsorship money. I think the IOC is also using this time to negotiate with SLC to make sure all parties are happy. Once that's done I expect the IOC to move quickly. I'm sure that while some are hopeful, it's going to be a tall order for Sapporo to convince enough of the public to forget about Tokyo's financial losses and that Sapporo will be different.

On 2/10/2022 at 12:46 AM, Sir Rols said:

At least there’s one real cauldron burning during these games… but I guess that just cancelled out all the emission savings Beijing has made.

The SLC cauldron though was designed for at least 2 kinds of burn: full Ceremony burns and simmer-daylight-non-ceremony burn.  I am sure it just went on full-blast Ceremony burn for 5 or 10 minutes. 

They're just going to go ahead with Salt Lake for 2030.  No choice at this time -- and LA will just have to suck it up.  I'm sure they'll get enough sponsors to finance Salt Like 2 years after LA 2028.   

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Shortly after the Sapporo survey (which takes place next month), the IOC will finally make it's move on 2030, placing both SLC or Sapporo into "targeted dialog", or just SLC (if the Sapporo survey fails). And making things official by the full membership in Barranquilla over the summer. 

50 minutes ago, FYI said:

Shortly after the Sapporo survey (which takes place next month), the IOC will finally make it's move on 2030, placing both SLC or Sapporo into "targeted dialog", or just SLC (if the Sapporo survey fails). And making things official by the full membership in Barranquilla over the summer. 

Barcelona could still make it to the final candidature as possible.

58 minutes ago, FYI said:

Juan Antonio Junior does not approve of this comment.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

The 2028 OOC and, in turn, the IOC should just focus on the 2028 summer games in the US and let SLC deal with the 2030 winter games in the US.

I don't know there should be a big conflict of back-to-back Olympics in the same country when a lot of corporations are multi-national and national boundaries are increasingly de-emphasized.

13 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

The 2028 OOC and, in turn, the IOC should just focus on the 2028 summer games in the US and let SLC deal with the 2030 winter games in the US.

I don't know there should be a big conflict of back-to-back Olympics in the same country when a lot of corporations are multi-national and national boundaries are increasingly de-emphasized.

The issue is one of sponsorships.  If American companies are making a big investment in the 2028 Olympics, is there enough interest out there to make the required investments a 2030 Olympics in the same country.  That companies are multi-national doesn't really apply here

11 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

The issue is one of sponsorships.  If American companies are making a big investment in the 2028 Olympics, is there enough interest out there to make the required investments a 2030 Olympics in the same country.  That companies are multi-national doesn't really apply here

How do you judge or define "enough interest?" If LA and SLC were both hosting a summer Olympics, then, yea, I could see competition for a set amount of time, interest and dollars becoming squeezed.

All of this is set against the backdrop of the IOC playing musical chairs with too many host cities and the IOC's desire to make the Olympics a constantly traveling circus.

8 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

How do you judge or define "enough interest?" If LA and SLC were both hosting a summer Olympics, then, yea, I could see competition for a set amount of time, interest and dollars becoming squeezed.

You're missing the point.  The issue is that amount of time between the 2028 Olympics and the 2030 Olympics, about 18 months.  Let's say you're McDonalds running some big ad campaign in conjunction with the Olympics (hopefully that works out better for them than it did in 1984).  If they're doing that for 2028, they're probably not going to want to run another one for 2030.  It's too soon.  They might not be as willing to sink sponsorship dollars into another Olympics less than 2 years later.  As opposed to if it was 6 years later, then they might be more ready for something new.

12 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

All of this is set against the backdrop of the IOC playing musical chairs with too many host cities and the IOC's desire to make the Olympics a constantly traveling circus.

Much like with your posts, the issue is quality, not quantity.  There's so thin as "too many host cities."  They just need to be the right ones.  Beijing was not the right city for 2022.  Rio was not the right city for 2016 (in the IOC's defense, things looked better in 2009 than they did come 2016).  Now we've got Paris, Milan-Cortina, LA, and Brisbane on the books.  Much safer and more sensible hosts.  Thankfully they're off their new frontier kick and hopefully won't go back in that direction for awhile to come

3 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

If they're doing that for 2028, they're probably not going to want to run another one for 2030.  It's too soon.  They might not be as willing to sink sponsorship dollars into another Olympics less than 2 years later.  As opposed to if it was 6 years later, then they might be more ready for something new.

In a way, I'd think so. But the capacity of the marketplace is also way larger than I originally assumed it was in the past. Look at the churn in various media companies. Look at all the TV shows, movies, music, etc, they're constantly throwing at the dart board to see what sticks or doesn't stick.

I was looking over magazines sold at a stand a few weeks ago and was amazed at how much the dead-tree, old-print media are still publishing.

5 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

I don’t think it’s just the IOC, but also the public at large. You yourself have said before that you tuned in to 2012 more so just because of where it was held.

Now imagine the total opposite, where the Olympics are always staged in the very same locale? After a while, most would start to get pretty bored with that pretty quick. As it is, some on here for example, yawn & bemoan at the recent line-up of “repeat host” & complaining that “not only the ‘G7’ countries should get to host the Olympics”.

Not only that, but as I’ve mentioned before, giving the burden to a single city to host the Olympics every four years, is also not feasible, or sustainable long term. At some point, the locals would also start to complain that they shouldn’t be burdened with the biggest sport festival on the planet every fours years. And that eventually, it needs to go somewhere else anyway.

4 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

In a way, I'd think so. But the capacity of the marketplace is also way larger than I originally assumed it was in the past. Look at the churn in various media companies. Look at all the TV shows, movies, music, etc, they're constantly throwing at the dart board to see what sticks or doesn't stick.

I was looking over magazines sold at a stand a few weeks ago and was amazed at how much the dead-tree, old-print media are still publishing.

You still have this tendency to look at things through a very narrow personal viewpoint.  Not sure what we're supposed to get from this.

There is a limited amount of sponsorship opportunity out there.  LA and the USOPC have that whole market to themselves for 2028.  If SLC 2030 were to enter the picture, now their job becomes tougher because there are 2 major events that both need to secure these deals.

This has been discussed many times over here.  Is this an obstacle that can be overcome?  Sure it is.  Would it make life easier for the USOPC if there weren't 2 Olympics in the United States so close to each other on the calendar?  Absolutely it would.

The SLC folks are jumping at the bit.  It makes more sense for them to host sooner rather than later.  But the USOPC doesn't feel the same way.  And you can be sure if the IOC wants Salt Lake for 2030, that the USOPC will want some additional compensation for their troubles, just like with LA taking 2028 over 2024

3 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

You still have this tendency to look at things through a very narrow personal viewpoint.  Not sure what we're supposed to get from this.

There is a limited amount of sponsorship opportunity out there.  LA and the USOPC have that whole market to themselves for 2028.  If SLC 2030 were to enter the picture, now their job becomes tougher because there are 2 major events that both need to secure these deals.

This has been discussed many times over here.  Is this an obstacle that can be overcome?  Sure it is.  Would it make life easier for the USOPC if there weren't 2 Olympics in the United States so close to each other on the calendar?  Absolutely it would.

The SLC folks are jumping at the bit.  It makes more sense for them to host sooner rather than later.  But the USOPC doesn't feel the same way.  And you can be sure if the IOC wants Salt Lake for 2030, that the USOPC will want some additional compensation for their troubles, just like with LA taking 2028 over 2024

I have been saying for the longest time that SLC and The IOC are going to come to a handshake agreement and there is going to be a double allocation and the IOC is going to award Sapporo for 2030 and SLC for 2034.