LA 2028 Ceremonies

5 minutes ago, FYI said:

Most people, though, don't even know where the very next Olympics are going to take place. That's only us Olympic nerds on a site like this that know every site selection from now 'til 2032. So that has got nothing to do with the way the "new norm" handles the "dialog" nowadays.

Yep. My partner, who lives with an Olympics nut and likes to watch various events with me, has no idea when an Olympics are even on till I tell him as they’re approaching, and no idea where they are till I tell him. I think I’ve had to remind him half a dozen times in the past month that the next summer games are in 2024 in Paris (mostly in the context of “Wouldn’t it be nice to go to Paris?”) and I’m still sure it hasn’t registered.

6 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Yet you’ve been banned from SkyscraperCity and suspended from here twice. Whose fault is that? Have you pondered why you were, and thought of changing your ways to avoid that in future?

Orwellian-1984 bans, speech codes and censorship are now widespread throughout the internet and society. If the subject of "Olympics" triggers various people to want to follow that set of rules and behavior, then, yowsa, think of what really  heavy and controversial subjects are going to do.

I recall dropping by this forum several years ago. At that time, I saw threads where the amount of flaming and fighting was so over the top, I assumed gamesbid was an unmoderated swamp. It was such a turnoff, I didn't take this board seriously. I really didn't want to post because in-fighting seemed a bigger purpose for this message board back then than discussions on the Olympics were.

This thread is on "2028 Ceremonies," yet look at my posts and the other ones that aren't about "2028 Ceremonies."

11 minutes ago, FYI said:

That does seem to happen in every thread that you visit. 

Hey, don't blame me. That's why I now and then try to include photos or videos.

Incidentally, well before I posted to this thread, some user a few years ago inserted a photo from the 2012 ceremonies.

If people don't use past Olympics to get a sense of where future games are probably headed, they're going to have a big blind spot.

Okay, I admit that based on that, I'm sort of a pessimist about 2028.

At least SoFi Stadium, however, will be an ideal location for an opening/closing.

18 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Yep. My partner, who lives with an Olympics nut and likes to watch various events with me, has no idea when an Olympics are even on till I tell him as they’re approaching, and no idea where they are till I tell him.

Your post doesn't bother me in the least. But notice how it has nothing to do with "LA 2028 Ceremonies."

Hey, it would actually better fit the "Paris 2024 Ceremonies" thread.

3 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Incidentally, well before I posted to this thread, some user a few years ago inserted a photo from the 2012 ceremonies.

If people don't use past Olympics to get a sense of where future games are probably headed, they're going to have a big blind spot.

At least SoFi Stadium, however, will be an ideal location for an opening/closing.

What makes a good Olympic Opening Ceremony?   >> Gamesbids.com - click here <<

"2028 Ceremonies" interests me because the 2028 OOC will hopefully keep the games' budget under control and will perhaps draw a good-sized crowd.

LA hasn't hosted a full-fledged Olympics since 1932. But that's assuming geopolitics doesn't affect 2028 as it did 1984. And even the Great Depression hurt the city's first games.

So the third category of organization (which includes the opening/closing) is a bigger crapshoot.

Attendance, however, is such a major factor too, that although I didn't care for 2012 or 1996, the level of spectator support at those games was so good, it makes them different from the 2016 Olympics.

Similarly, if 2000 Sydney weren't so popular with the people of that city, I'd rank those games lower, closer to a Rio.

It's why, although I rag on the opening/closing of 2012, if London wanted to host again, I'd say their bid would be about as good or even better than many others were. Even more so than the idea of multi-city hosts, which is floating around out there.

13 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Vladimir, I know it's you!! 

I wonder if he likes SoFi Stadium for an Olympic games opening/closing?

Sorry, Vlad, but if you do, Ukrainian forces will perhaps bomb it. A major loss for the NFL, but not necessarily for an IOC's ceremonies.

However, the Inglewood stadium's suites are very fancy. So the muckity-mucks of the IOC will feel more at home there than they would in the admittedly rather worn-out, dumpy LA Coliseum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olympics2028 said:

Orwellian-1984 bans, speech codes and censorship are now widespread throughout the internet and society. If the subject of "Olympics" triggers various people to want to follow that set of rules and behavior, then, yowsa, think of what really  heavy and controversial subjects are going to do.

I recall dropping by this forum several years ago. At that time, I saw threads where the amount of flaming and fighting was so over the top, I assumed gamesbid was an unmoderated swamp. It was such a turnoff, I didn't take this board seriously. I really didn't want to post because in-fighting seemed a bigger purpose for this message board back then than discussions on the Olympics were.

This thread is on "2028 Ceremonies," yet look at my posts and the other ones that aren't about "2028 Ceremonies."

Oh, so it’s not you, it’s everyone else who has a problem?

It’s NOT the subject matter that’s getting you into trouble. We’re quite capable of maturely and respectfully handling disagreement, contraryism and difficult subjects - we don’t have any of these probs in the Ukraine war threads for example. If anything, different viewpoints make for good debates and discussions.

if you’ve seen infighting in the past - or experiencing it now, it’s not the opinions expressed, it’s because people are behaving badly. In your case, as your warnings that came with your suspensions showed, your bad behaviour is excessive spamming and posting off-topic.

This forum is actually quite accepting of going off-topic and topic drift in moderation, but not when it’s excessive, consistent and seemingly deliberate. 

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

This is a discussion forum.  You're not a college professor trying to teach a lecture or a businessman trying to give a Powerpoint presentation.  Understand why that's grating on some people.  Including a couple of photos now and then is fine.  Flooding threads with visuals aids is unnecessary and extremely annoying, especially when those visual aids are videos where you expect people to spend their time to watch them.  You're not bringing life or adding value to these threads by trying to overwhelm them.  You still seem to miss that point.

It's a fair point to say that looking at past ceremonies can give us lessons for the future.  That's not your license to spam multiple threads with every photo and video you find interesting.  Here's a suggestion.. don't do that.

Interesting though that you say SoFi will be an ideal location.  Haven't you been saying the exact opposite of that?  That it's a bad place for the ceremonies because it's not fully open.  Why the sudden change of heart on that one?

55 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Interesting though that you say SoFi will be an ideal location.  Haven't you been saying the exact opposite of that?  That it's a bad place for the ceremonies because it's not fully open.  Why the sudden change of heart on that one?

Sorry, I was being sarcastic.

And, yea, I know SoFi is open on its sides. So it's not a fully enclosed stadium. But for things like an Olympics ceremony, it might just as well be.

SoFi is fine for NFL. But I'm fairly sure it will fall flat in 2028.

58 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

You're not bringing life or adding value to these threads by trying to overwhelm them.  You still seem to miss that point.

I recall scrolling through this forum several years ago - way before I created an account - and came upon postings full of flaming and in-fighting. It seems like gamesbids.com has had a history of users complaining about one another. Or not focusing on "Olympics" and the particulars of that subject.

Since this forum doesn't exactly receive heavy traffic, I'm always interested in seeing posts whenever they're new. I like reading people's feedback or opinions. Even more so if the postings are beyond one-sentence quips or just the opposite extreme of walls of text. 

But if users of gamesbid like the forum to be more of a sleepy little town, so be it. Even more so when this thread is now getting burned out.

Here we are posting about users instead of "2028 Ceremonies."

To keep the conversation and subject going, in my case I'll next have to post about my trip last month to San Diego. LOL.

Watch out. Home movies are next.

14 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

your bad behaviour is excessive spamming and posting off-topic.

This is one definition of spamming:

Spamming is the use of messaging systems to send multiple unsolicited messages (spam) to large numbers of recipients for the purpose of commercial advertising, for the purpose of non-commercial proselytizing, for any prohibited purpose (especially the fraudulent purpose of phishing, or simply sending the same message over and over to the same user.

I guess "non-commercial proselytizing" or "same message over and over" is what my various postings are guilty of. But in the context of this thread, since "2028 Ceremonies" is what I'm trying to focus on, I admit to not realizing that my posts come off like trying to analyze how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Or "same message over and over again."

I've also made the mistake of thinking that if users weren't interested in my posts, they'd just yawn or shrug (or go "this same idiotic message again?! Zzzz.") and click on another thread.

"2028 Ceremonies" is now a TOS thread and about my posting, not about the topic. So it's burned out, I feel burned out.

I hope it doesn't remain dormant for another 2 years.

Maybe something before then will occur at SoFi Stadium? Or maybe the 2028 OOC releases a press statement in X number of months/years to make it relevant? (Casey Wasserman says a cauldron is too "been there, done that", etc?)

^ I just realize how many recent posts in this thread are more about TOS and personality issues than about "2028 Ceremonies." It's as though various users of gamesbid are more interested in "Psychology 101" than "Olympics."

One major poster at GB above goes into more detail about my posting idiosyncrasies than what he says about "2028 Ceremonies." (I'm not sure if he was involved in this thread when it was first started a few years ago). Most recently, I think the most he has penned about "2028" is the time when the opening of the second games in LA took place.

About the subject of this thread? I like having an online conversation about it. However, I don't mind if other people don't. That's fine with me. If forum users instead want to bypass the thread, put me on ignore or go "You're full of crap! My opinion is...", okay, I get that. But the "STFU!!" response is disappointing.

8 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

I guess "non-commercial proselytizing" or "same message over and over" is what my various postings are guilty of. But in the context of this thread, since "2028 Ceremonies" is what I'm trying to focus on, I admit to not realizing that my posts come off like trying to analyze how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Or "same message over and over again."

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! They say the first step of recovery is realising and admitting you have a problem, and good on you for acknowledging that.

Honestly, nobody is trying to censor you or stop you from posting your opinions. All we are asking is that you show some moderation in how often you post the exact same opinions, and some thoughtfulness in where you post them. In just the past few days alone, some four new threads have been created in the General Olympics Discussions forum where it’s felt you might be better posting some of your views rather than disrupting other, more specially focussed threads. I hope you use them, but just remember that’s not an invitation to repost points you’ve already made many times over, and also remember that if people disagree with you they’re entitled, indeed encouraged, to refute you. Just don’t labour the points.

8 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

I recall scrolling through this forum several years ago - way before I created an account - and came upon postings full of flaming and in-fighting. It seems like gamesbids.com has had a history of users complaining about one another. Or not focusing on "Olympics" and the particulars of that subject.

Some people enjoy participating in, or popcorn spectating, forum fights. Some people are totally turned off by them. They don’t happen often, most reasonable people try to avoid hem. But sometimes peoples’ patience just wears too thin, or some sort of intervention is required when someone is becoming too disruptive to common forum customs and courtesies. It’s usually because someone is being too pugnacious or abusive, they overpost things to the point of becoming an annoying pest, they’re just deliberately trying to cause havoc or simply because disagreement turns too personal. In such cases you just have to bite the bullet and call people out. If that gets out of hand, then that’s when the GBModerator has to intervene.

Some people like having firm, stated forum rules. Some people like a bit of leeway. Generally, I think most people here like a bit of grey area where vigorous debate can be accepted to a degree, and some diversions off-topic can be tolerated. But that doesn’t mean going off-topic can be flouted or abused. 

Now, you say this forum has lately become about TOS. I’m sorry, but that is all on you because people have become annoyed enough by some of your bad habits and repeat postings to stage a confrontation/intervention about it. You’re not helping by keeping that going yourself.

Edited by Sir Rols

On 8/25/2017 at 8:54 PM, mr.bernham said:

WTF does anything in the  modern OC's have to do with an athletic tournament aside from the mandated IOC stuff? 

I have to go back over 4 years to read other posts that are relevant to the topic of this thread.

I don't know if Bernham is still much of a user of GB, But, yep, he is very correct. Even more so since his comment was penned in only five years after 2012. Those games' opening/closing were, jeez, the epitome of a non-mandated, "Hollywood"-type ceremony.

I guess to fit the subject of this thread, I'll want to reply to threads from 2017.

Particularly after the most recent openings/closings, I want 2028 to stick with a very international theme. In effect, I want "LA" to reflect all cities, all nations of the world.

The recent 2022 games sort of went in that direction. That surprised me given what Beijing 2008 was all about.

See, now you’re again being deliberately obtuse and confrontational. You’ve posted this exact same opinion many times already. Just because you’re saying it to respond to a different post doesn’t make it new.  

9 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

Sorry, I was being sarcastic.

And, yea, I know SoFi is open on its sides. So it's not a fully enclosed stadium. But for things like an Olympics ceremony, it might just as well be.

SoFi is fine for NFL. But I'm fairly sure it will fall flat in 2028.

In whose view?  Do you think it will be a disappointment to you because it's not "Olympic" enough?  Or you think it'll be a disappointment to the world because it doesn't conform to what you're hoping it will be?

Insomuch as SoFi was built by and for Stan Kroenke, they have a lot of time to figure out how to make it work.  I'm confident they'll succeed.  I would be very surprised if general reaction was that it fell flat.

9 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

"2028 Ceremonies" is now a TOS thread and about my posting, not about the topic. So it's burned out, I feel burned out.

I hope it doesn't remain dormant for another 2 years.

Maybe something before then will occur at SoFi Stadium? Or maybe the 2028 OOC releases a press statement in X number of months/years to make it relevant? (Casey Wasserman says a cauldron is too "been there, done that", etc?)

2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

I have to go back over 4 years to read other posts that are relevant to the topic of this thread.

I don't know if Bernham is still much of a user of GB, But, yep, he is very correct. Even more so since his comment was penned in only five years after 2012. Those games' opening/closing were, jeez, the epitome of a non-mandated, "Hollywood"-type ceremony.

I guess to fit the subject of this thread, I'll want to reply to threads from 2017.

As of today, there are currently 2,309 days until the opening ceremony of the LA 2028 Olympics.  There's 2 Olympics in between now and then and 3 more that have occurred since LA was awarded the 2028 games (which is what led to much of the conversation that you're referencing from 4 years ago).  Notice that we're currently on page 11 of this thread.  The equivalent thread for the Rio games was 82 pages long, and all but the first couple of pages were discussions that occurred less than 2 years before the games.  So you're right.. maybe let's not burn out this topic of discussion literally years in advance. 

The majority of posters here are from the Anglosphere, so it's natural there will be a little more discussion about an Olympics in the United States.  Most of it is more likely to happen when it's closer to the LA games, or at least where there's news or other information to discuss about the ceremony.  Right now we have none of that.  Like you alluded to, if there's any sort of announcement about plans for the ceremonies, then yes, we'll likely get a flurry of activity in a thread like this.  If the issue is looking back to find relevant posts, maybe don't post all sorts of videos and other nonsense that makes it more difficult to find those relevant posts.

It's been said several times, but I'll say it again because it's important you understand this.. you are very much in the right place if you want to discuss small details about the Olympics.  I think you know that.  You need not be standoffish though and act like a petulant child because the other kids aren't interested in playing your games.  Be friendly rather than offering up this sardonic persona you want to be all about now.  Because unlike many times in the past where I've seen these forums turn people into complete assholes, the forum didn't do that to you.  You did it to yourself.

(And btw, if you're not a fan of posts about other posters, note the previous post which engages in a discussion about the LA 2028 ceremonies)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Insomuch as SoFi was built by and for Stan Kroenke, they have a lot of time to figure out how to make it work.  I'm confident they'll succeed.  I would be very surprised if general reaction was that it fell flat.

Based on the recent Super Bowl, there's nothing about SoFi's atmosphere that will enhance an Olympic ceremony. The basic look and layout of the building are what I'm mainly referring to.

Unless the 2028 OOC can somehow take off the stadium's canopy, I doubt my impressions of the place in 2028 will be all the different from my impressions of it in 2022.

SoFI is fine for NFL. But for "Olympics ceremony," I bet it will turn out generic and lifeless. And *that's* assuming the producer in 2028 at least doesn't follow the template of most openings/closings for years.

7 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

You need not be standoffish though and act like a petulant child because the other kids aren't interested in playing your games.  Be friendly rather than offering up this sardonic persona you want to be all about now.  Because unlike many times in the past where I've seen these forums turn people into complete assholes, the forum didn't do that to you.  You did it to yourself.

Did you read my post above where I mentioned that comments in this thread over the past day or so are more about TOS and the idiosyncrasies of a user (in this case, me) than it is about "2028 Ceremonies?"

There's nothing I've said where I resent users bypassing me, putting me on ignore or even going, "Your opinions suck! They're idiotic! This is why I believe you're wrong..."

I welcome a conversation. A lively debate too. But if people ignore me, that's fine too.

This thread is about "2028 Ceremonies." I'm interested in that.

I'm not posting in here to troll, flame, BS for BS's sake or trigger other users' own personality traits.

2 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

See, now you’re again being deliberately obtuse and confrontational.

Huh? That's my opinion. I thought I was making myself very clear and not saying that insincerely or for hidden motives.

In fact, the recent 2022 winter games surprised me. "Beijing" and China's political climate somehow didn't prevent 2022's producer from following a template that was closer to what I favor in an Olympics ceremony.

Personally, compared with what other host cities/committees have done for years, I think the 2022 guy had a better sense of what "Olympics" means and should be all about.

In fact, the recent 2022 winter games surprised me. "Beijing" and China's political climate somehow didn't prevent 2022's producer from following a template that was closer to what I favor in an Olympics ceremony.

Personally, compared with what other host cities/committees have done for years, I think the 2022 guy had a better sense of what "Olympics" means and should be all about.

Yes, as you’ve told us already a few times in various threads already. Why do you need to mention that yet again?