LA 2028 Ceremonies

10 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

And of course by '28, it will be joined by that awful George Lucas Museum -- but it'll be another thing to do and see around LA Memorial.  

Inglewood is another middle-class community -- and SoFi will be sitting amid HUGE parking lots and 2 or 3 other stadia.  That for me, is quite soulless.  But then again -- they didn't ask me.  B)

I realize this thread is about "LA 2028 Ceremonies," but my argument is that Exposition Park will be better for the opening/closing of the 2028 games than SoFi in Inglewood will be.

Even in this presentation of a dressed-up future, you can see sections of the area that are low rent or seedy. But this is nothing compared with what this same section of LA was like at its last summer Olympics.

That museum you mention, the one shaped like a spaceship (some have called it an Adidas shoe), was a few years ago no more than a big parking lot. I believe runners in the 1984 marathon had to go right past that scenic big parking lot.

The Coliseum is almost 100 years old. It's rough around the edges too. But I think it has funky charm as compared with the sterility of (or as you say, soulless) SoFi Stadium.

2 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

I realize this thread is about "LA 2028 Ceremonies," but my argument is that Exposition Park will be better for the opening/closing of the 2028 games than SoFi in Inglewood will be.

Even in this presentation of a dressed-up future, you can see sections of the area that are low rent or seedy. But this is nothing compared with what this same section of LA was like at its last summer Olympics.

That museum you mention, the one shaped like a spaceship (some have called it an Adidas shoe), was a few years ago no more than a big parking lot. I believe runners in the 1984 marathon had to go right past that scenic big parking lot.

The Coliseum is almost 100 years old. It's rough around the edges too. But I think it has funky charm as compared with the sterility of (or as you say, soulless) SoFi Stadium.

There is no point in having an OC venue debate here.

The decision has been made long ago that SoFi Stadium will host the LA2028 Opening Ceremony.

SoFi Stadium will host the LA2028 Opening Ceremony.

SoFi Stadium will g

1 minute ago, AustralianFan said:

You appear to be exhibiting trolling behaviours, drawing attention to yourself or trying to provoke a response with nonsense.

What you label as "trolling" is what I call a difference of opinion.

If anything, when I zipped through portions of the 2012 ceremonies and compared them with the NFL halftime show at SoFi, the two events seemed way more alike than I thought they'd be.

For instance, I didn't realize that some rap performers were featured in 2012. I thought that format was first seen at the 2016 games in Rio. But no, 2012 had rap singers too and also dancers placed around a large set made to look like a house in London (or the UK).

Similarly, the recent NFL halftime show had rap singers and dancers placed around a large set made to look like a block in LA.

Just now, Olympics2028 said:

What you label as "trolling" is what I call a difference of opinion.

If anything, when I zipped through portions of the 2012 ceremonies and compared them with the NFL halftime show at SoFi, the two events seemed way more alike than I thought they'd be.

For instance, I didn't realize that some rap performers were featured in 2012. I thought that format was first seen at the 2016 games in Rio. But no, 2012 had rap singers too and also dancers placed around a large set made to look like a house in London (or the UK).

Similarly, the recent NFL halftime show had rap singers and dancers placed around a large set made to look like a block in LA.

2012 and NFL is totally off-topic to LA2028 Ceremonies.

12 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

A lot of those features won't be visible to people watching on TVs or monitors.

I think SoFi will be the flip side of the LA Coliseum.

LA's last summer games were held in what may can be judged as one of the seedier general environments of any Olympic games (in particular, for an opening/closing) over the past 80 years. The Exposition Park area, even more so decades ago, was quite rundown.

In 2028, the setting of SoFi Stadium will be more fitting for the champagne-brie crowd of IOC bigwigs and international dignitaries. But the tone or vibe will be "NFL!!!"

Don't base what you know about the stadium from the Super Bowl and the halftime show.  I wouldn't expect the folks running the show for the LA2028 to use that show as any sort of a template.  That's a rush to get the field set up in the short amount of time they have during halftime.  Not something they can really make into a well-organized and planned out spectacle

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Why do you keep harping on decisions that you CANNOT make nor are up to you?  Why?  Do you not think that the people in charge aren't aware of what they are doing?  This is Round 3 for that city.  This is a mere awakening for you.  

2 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Why do you keep harping on decisions that you CANNOT make nor are up to you?  Why?  Do you not think that the people in charge aren't aware of what they are doing?  This is Round 3 for that city.  This is a mere awakening for you.  

You do realize this is a message board, an open forum to discuss "Olympics?" In this case, the particular subject of "LA 2028 Ceremonies."

Sports fans are notorious for talking about their favorite baseball/basketball/football/hockey/soccer team - and every detail about it - as though they're the owner. Or head coach. Or the franchise's major investor. But they're not.

I'm just here to hash over my likes and dislikes about the IOC and Olympics, the 2028 games in particular.

It's odd how some users resent that. Or they yell, "off topic!!!" They make me think of an old guy (who some users wanted to compare me with) yelling at kids to get off his front lawn.

What's that all about? lol.

10 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Everyone riffs off other games, other events.

Organizing committees, their staff and producers, and everyone they're in contact with on a regular basis (including their kids in school, etc) all the time don't exist in a vacuum.

I wasn't being totally sarcastic when I said the "ceremony" a few days ago, the one where a celebrity slapped another celebrity and later yelled the F word at him, very well may be a preview of what 2028 will be all about.

In 2016, a musical segment featured two singers using the F word.

I'm sure the LA 2028 organizers and whoever will eventually be in charge of the ceremonies saw the halftime show.  So what?  Do you think they'll look back at an event that will at that point be 6 years in the past for any sort of reference point?  Be careful of the recency bias where the thing you just saw is a big deal.  It won't be as big a deal 6 yeas from now.

Thanks for clarifying your comments about the Oscars.  No one here could tell you were being sarcastic.  We all assumed that's something you actually wanted to see in the ceremonies in 2028.  That definitely seemed like a very real and serious suggestion from you.

Good for 2016.  What does that have to do with anything?  For someone who has some really strong opinions about what should or shouldn't be in ceremonies, you continue to have this weird tendency to cherry pick certain elements or moments of an event and then in the next breath (or the previous one) admit that you didn't want the entire thing.  A reminder again that you're a part of a crowd here that follows these things very closely and has for years.  I find it hard to believe that there are aspects of the 2012 that you're just now discovering.

2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

Wasserman has also said previously he wants the Olympic games to become more political, not less.

you literally bring this up so many times, but it's never relevant to your point, the discussion, or the thread...

2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

The NFL Super Bowl in February gave sort of a preview of what 2028 will be like.

No, it didn't. A Super Bowl halftime show is nowhere near the caliber of an Olympic/Paralympic Ceremony

• Thanks 1

omg there were two new pages of thread i just noticed... should have caught up before entering my message incase someone already said the same thing

40 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Thanks for clarifying your comments about the Oscars.  No one here could tell you were being sarcastic.  We all assumed that's something you actually wanted to see in the ceremonies in 2028.  That definitely seemed like a very real and serious suggestion from you.

Good for 2016.  What does that have to do with anything?  For someone who has some really strong opinions about what should or shouldn't be in ceremonies, you continue to have this weird tendency to cherry pick certain elements or moments of an event and then in the next breath (or the previous one) admit that you didn't want the entire thing.  A reminder again that you're a part of a crowd here that follows these things very closely and has for years.  I find it hard to believe that there are aspects of the 2012 that you're just now discovering.

I feel like we're talking (or posting) past each other.

I've given my opinions on various aspects of the Olympics for several months now. Some complain that I've voiced those opinions way too repeatedly. But in all those months of my expressing a particular POV, for you to not be sure I was being sarcastic about that slapfest Hollywood show a few days ago and how 2028 should be influenced by it, I really have to wonder if talking about TOS rules and "Psychology 101-type" topics interests people way at GB way more than discussing "Olympics" does.

As for 2012's ceremonies, I really have never seen before the segment where a lot of carnival-rides/London-landmark set pieces were installed in London's Olympic stadium. Even the rap-music segment - which surrounded a few other bits I do recall - I don't remember watching over 10 years ago.

21 minutes ago, Bear said:

No, it didn't. A Super Bowl halftime show is nowhere near the caliber of an Olympic/Paralympic Ceremony

About an hour ago, I watched a portion of the 2022 Super Bowl halftime show and a portion of 2012's opening. Okay, maybe I'm laying it on a bit thick when I describe them as more alike than different. But to me in certain ways, yep, they were more alike than different.

Then again, I've described the 2012 opening/closing as themed to "Hollywood."

London over the past 50-60 years actually has been the place where some major top movies and some top-tier songs/singers have originated from. Which is why I hope the 2028 OOC realizes that "Hollywood" has already been done.

1 hour ago, Olympics2028 said:

I feel like we're talking (or posting) past each other.

I've given my opinions on various aspects of the Olympics for several months now. Some complain that I've voiced those opinions way too repeatedly. But in all those months of my expressing a particular POV, for you to not be sure I was being sarcastic about that slapfest Hollywood show a few days ago and how 2028 should be influenced by it, I really have to wonder if talking about TOS rules and "Psychology 101-type" topics interests people way at GB way more than discussing "Olympics" does.

As for 2012's ceremonies, I really have never seen before the segment where a lot of carnival-rides/London-landmark set pieces were installed in London's Olympic stadium. Even the rap-music segment - which surrounded a few other bits I do recall - I don't remember watching over 10 years ago.

No, I was sure about your comment about the Oscars.  I guess you're not as good at detecting sarcasm as you are at offering up an example.

As for 2012's ceremonies, there's really no point in bringing it up.  Especially if you haven't see the whole thing.  Perhaps you missed something you would have liked and could hope for LA 2028 to emultate

1 hour ago, Olympics2028 said:

About an hour ago, I watched a portion of the 2022 Super Bowl halftime show and a portion of 2012's opening. Okay, maybe I'm laying it on a bit thick when I describe them as more alike than different. But to me in certain ways, yep, they were more alike than different.

Then again, I've described the 2012 opening/closing as themed to "Hollywood."

Completely off topic once again.      

The theme of 2012 has nothing to do with this thread topic: LA2028 Ceremonies.

Your watching the NFL half-time show has nothing to do with this thread topic: LA2028 Ceremonies.

13 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Athletes waiting to enter for the Parade of Nations will like be held in The Forum (circled in yellow) and Opening Ceremony performers probably will find the YouTube theatre (6,000 capacity -circled in red).

QXiL9Li.jpg

You forgot that there will also be two other venues:

1. the Alaskan stadium--Intuit Dome--18,000 seats and

2. the Archery venue (temporary) --probably another 4,000. 

25 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

You forgot that there will also be two other venues:

1. the Alaskan stadium--Intuit Dome--18,000 seats and

2. the Archery venue (temporary) --probably another 4,000. 

That's assuming they keep the Forum up.  When they built the Intuit Dome, that might be it for the Forum.  Seems superfluous to have 2 arenas so close to each other

39 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

That's assuming they keep the Forum up.  When they built the Intuit Dome, that might be it for the Forum.  Seems superfluous to have 2 arenas so close to each other

Even if that were the intended script, I would think LA-28 would at least ask that the Forum stay up for the Games, just as another back-up venue.  Plus, I thought a church (probably one of the Evangelical Korean ones) was interested in the building.  (Remember they kept and used Fulton County Stadium up for 1996; and just imploded it afterwards.)  

9 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Even if that were the intended script, I would think LA-28 would at least ask that the Forum stay up for the Games, just as another back-up venue.  Plus, I thought a church (probably one of the Evangelical Korean ones) was interested in the building.  (Remember they kept and used Fulton County Stadium up for 1996; and just imploded it afterwards.)  

Fulton County Stadium stayed up because the Braves were still playing there.  They couldn't tear it down until it was converted for baseball which obviously wasn't going to happen until the following season.

The Forum is now owned by Steve Ballmer.  It's his decision and his alone what happens after the new arena is built.  LA 28 has little to no say on that one.  Half the reason he bought the forum in the first place was to make it easier to build a new arena nearby.

We'll see what happens, but I doubt the fate of the Forum will be based on a "just in case" scenario

4 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Fulton County Stadium stayed up because the Braves were still playing there.  They couldn't tear it down until it was converted for baseball which obviously wasn't going to happen until the following season.

I know that.  What I'm saying is that--to further your point--they still used it as the Baseball venue even though it was already consigned to the demolisher's timers.  But it sat right beside the NEW Olympic stadium and waited until that was converted to become the Braves' new field -- so, same thing as what's happening there at Hollywood Park.  (You never know, they could bring back Boxing at the last minute, so the Forum (after moving Gymnastics maybe to Intuit) would then host Boxing.   

Of course, I also know that it's Ballmer's to dispose of as he wishes but Olympic host cities usually get to hang on to all the stadia they can line up--even for bragging rights.  Like you'd think Paris right now, could boast of an abundance of riches when they are scrounging around for even half-decent venues to line up.  Intuit could hold the athletes for the OC and the Forum could be the holding tank for the OC performers.   

5 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I know that.  What I'm saying is that--to further your point--they still used it as the Baseball venue even though it was already consigned to the demolisher's timers.  But it sat right beside the NEW Olympic stadium and waited until that was converted to become the Braves' new field -- so, same thing as what's happening there at Hollywood Park.  (You never know, they could bring back Boxing at the last minute, so the Forum (after moving Gymnastics maybe to Intuit) would then host Boxing.   

Of course, I also know that it's Ballmer's to dispose of as he wishes but Olympic host cities usually get to hang on to all the stadia they can line up--even for bragging rights.  Like you'd think Paris right now, could boast of an abundance of riches when they are scrounging around for even half-decent venues to line up.  Intuit could hold the athletes for the OC and the Forum could be the holding tank for the OC performers.   

It's not the same thing though.  Intuit Dome should be up and running by 2024.  If Ballmer has other plans for what he wants to do with The Forum, especially if that means knocking it down, he's not going to want to wait 4 years to do so.  Very different scenario than Fulton County Stadium (owned and operated by the city and county, not private ownership) which they couldn't demolish until 1997 in the first place because their primary tenant was still there.  They didn't keep the stadium up for the benefit of the Olympics.  Contrast that with the Forum.. it's not LA2028's choice to make.

That all said, there's been rumblings that Ballmer could keep concerts and other events at The Forum and have the new arena primarily for the Clippers.  If that's the case, I like your suggestion.. bring volleyball up from Anaheim and maybe move gymnastics to the new arena.  And yes, would be a big help for the ceremonies to have 2 staging areas nearby

On 4/1/2022 at 9:40 PM, AustralianFan said:

Your watching the NFL half-time show has nothing to do with this thread topic: LA2028 Ceremonies.

Are you kidding? You do realize that the opening/closing of the 2028 games is listed as being at SoFi Stadium? So the way it presented itself during the Super Bowl several weeks ago sure as hell has a lot of relevancy to the summer Olympics after Paris 2024.

I don't believe SoFi is going to be dramatically altered or remodeled in the next several years. So what happens there today is pretty much baked-in indefinitely and gives a good idea of what 2028 will be like.

Now if Stan Kroenke allows the 2028 OOC to rip off the roof (or canopy) of SoFi Stadium, etc, then you make a valid point.

On 4/1/2022 at 9:31 PM, Quaker2001 said:

As for 2012's ceremonies, there's really no point in bringing it up.

Not if people want the 2028 ceremonies to have a "Hollywood" theme.

Again, although London isn't Hollywood, much of the movie/music industry is as associated with London as it it with Los Angeles. Actually, London over the past 40 years has been the home of some of the most popular film franchises and top singers/songwriters than LA/Hollywood has been.

Regardless, I want the 2028 games to go with an international theme.

Although the IOC's guidelines say that host cities should have segments about themselves and the country they're a part of, I say LA 2028 should ditch that concept and perform the role of All Cities, All Countries.

4 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

Are you kidding? You do realize that the opening/closing of the 2028 games is listed as being at SoFi Stadium? So the way it presented itself during the Super Bowl several weeks ago sure as hell has a lot of relevancy to the summer Olympics after Paris 2024.

I don't believe SoFi is going to be dramatically altered or remodeled in the next several years. So what happens there today is pretty much baked-in indefinitely and gives a good idea of what 2028 will be like.

Now if Stan Kroenke allows the 2028 OOC to rip off the roof (or canopy) of SoFi Stadium, etc, then you make a valid point.

It’s just another Opening Ceremony in a Stadium with a Roof.

Don’t get hysterical about it.

The Los Angeles 2028 Opening Ceremony will be staged in a Stadium with a Roof.

Get used to it.

Nothing whatsoever to do with the damn NFL or Half-time Show.

8 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

Not if people want the 2028 ceremonies to have a "Hollywood" theme.

Again, although London isn't Hollywood, much of the movie/music industry is as associated with London as it it with Los Angeles. Actually, London over the past 40 years has been the home of some of the most popular film franchises and top singers/songwriters than LA/Hollywood has been.

Regardless, I want the 2028 games to go with an international theme.

Although the IOC's guidelines say that host cities should have segments about themselves and the country they're a part of, I say LA 2028 should ditch that concept and perform the role of All Cities, All Countries.

I remember telling a friend of mine who is not a fan of the Olympics he should check out the closing ceremony from London.  Because how many countries out there are better than putting on a rock concert than the British.  You're absolutely right that England has made numerous contributions to the entertainment industry.  So if it really that surprising that they showed it off during the ceremonies in 2012?

You've mentioned multiple times that you don't think the ceremonies should be a showcase for the host city/country.  The IOC clearly disagrees with you.  I'm not sure what you think "an international theme" is supposed to mean, but if Los Angeles and the United States are hosting the Olympics, why shouldn't they have segments about Los Angeles and the United States?  Sure, they've hosted before, so some of those stories and that history has been told.  So what?

How do you propose for LA to represent "All Cities, All Countries"?  What exactly would that look like and how would that make for a better ceremony than if LA followed the tried and true formula of making a portion of the ceremonies about themselves?