LA 2028 Ceremonies

39 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

In the meantime, I've been shooting the breeze about formats and concepts I'd like to see at the 2028 summer games. But I get mainly an internet version of a dead stare. Or my posts get wished out to the corn field. lol.

Odd type of control freaks at gamesbid.com.

There's only so many times over you can present the same ideas before it gets old and tired.  Now if you were posting about formats and concepts you think others would like to see at the 2028 Summer Games, that might be a different story.  You've made it clear your taste is different from the norm.  Nothing wrong with that.  But I seriously hope you're not going to bemoan what the ceremonies are in comparison to what you want them to be for the next 6 years and then expect kudos for all the posts you've made in this thread.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, SportLightning said:

They haven't found any director and production sides for opening and closing ceremonies yet, they will in early 2028.

Nope.  I'd say there would be a team on trial to put together the "Handover" show portion for the Paris Closing.  And if that passes the test, then that team is in place -- from 2024.  And the Ceremonial concepts are presented to the IOC Exec Board about a year before -- so the creation is happening from late 2026 to mid-2027 for IOC approval. (Or sometimes even more than 28 months before since Papaioannou first presented his 2004 OC ideas when the IOC Executive Board was gathered in Salt Lake in February 2002.)  When the IOC approves the initial concepts, then they have a year to flesh out and REALIZE the ceremonies.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

On 4/6/2022 at 10:08 PM, Olympics2028 said:

Not if people want the 2028 ceremonies to have a "Hollywood" theme.

Again, although London isn't Hollywood, much of the movie/music industry is as associated with London as it it with Los Angeles. Actually, London over the past 40 years has been the home of some of the most popular film franchises and top singers/songwriters than LA/Hollywood has been.

Regardless, I want the 2028 games to go with an international theme.

Although the IOC's guidelines say that host cities should have segments about themselves and the country they're a part of, I say LA 2028 should ditch that concept and perform the role of All Cities, All Countries.

IDK about that, definitely feels like a stretch. LA certainly has its own heavy hitters, especially in the last 20 years. Not to mention the rest of the country's contribution to film/music. Not downplaying London or the UK for a second, but it is not like L.A. will somehow come up short against London, ESPECIALLY, in that category.

Of course it also depends on preference. Rock over Rap/Hip Hop? Pop? Because if we went down some of these routes LA easily beats London, many times over.

10 minutes ago, Scotguy II said:

My concept idea for a cauldron inside SoFi (i know they are using the coliseum) just a thought.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Actually there will be 2 cauldrons, a new one in sofi and an old one in the coliseum I think sort of like in rio, tokyo and beijing

On 4/13/2022 at 1:25 PM, JesseSaenz said:

Of course it also depends on preference. Rock over Rap/Hip Hop? Pop? Because if we went down some of these routes LA easily beats London, many times over.

"Easily beats?" How so? 2012 had segments reminiscent of the 2022 Super Bowl's halftime show. And visa versa.

There are only so many ways of doing a "Hollywood" theme, and London 2012 pretty much did that with full gusto.

11 hours ago, Scotguy II said:

My concept idea for a cauldron inside SoFi (i know they are using the coliseum) just a thought.

Your multi-arm cauldron format reminds me of Vancouver 2010.

Since today's theme is to be carbon sensitive, the cauldron of the 2028 games should be way simpler and smaller.

I suddenly realize that both Calgary and Vancouver have hosted winter games, separated by only 22 years. So that's not too different from Beijing hosting both a summer and winter games separated by only 14 years.  In a way, having a rotating host of Olympic games is already somewhat occurring.

Vancouver+Olympic+Cauldron+water+feature

11 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

I realize there are paying members of this forum, and you along with a few others have been posting here for a few decades. So, yep, there's a pecking order based on users' fees and timeline. But when you complain I'm being OT or somehow violating TOS rules (however nitpicky they're defined by the observer), I ask you how a Johnny Cash video applies to "LA 2028 Ceremonies?"

15 hours ago, Scotguy II said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Sorry, Scotguy -- fire laws would probably prevent that. 

Plus,
1.  it's SOOOOO obvious when one walks in;
2.  it kills a good number of good seats, and 
3. it's not in the center of the field where it would be the locus of the 95,000 people attending.  

So I would say - not happening. 

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Sorry, Scotguy -- fire laws would probably prevent that. 

Plus,
1.  it's SOOOOO obvious when one walks in;
2.  it kills a good number of good seats, and 
3. it's not in the center of the field where it would be the locus of the 95,000 people attending.  

So I would say - not happening. 

There's a lot of room outside the still to put a cauldron.  As the stadium is not fully enclosed, they should be able to figure out some way for a lot of the audience in the stadium to be able to see it.  Either that or do something in the stadium and then move it outside.  That would probably be more photogenic anyway since I'm guessing there will be plenty of locations for media in and around the area

10 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

There's a lot of room outside the still to put a cauldron.  As the stadium is not fully enclosed, they should be able to figure out some way for a lot of the audience in the stadium to be able to see it.  Either that or do something in the stadium and then move it outside.  That would probably be more photogenic anyway since I'm guessing there will be plenty of locations for media in and around the area

Or you could do as sochi and put the cauldron outside the stadium, or as beijing and tokyo and have only a ceremonial cauldron and a standing one in an iconic place, maybe in the grand park, where marathon will start, or in the plaza between the conventon center and the staples center

Posted (edited)

No, I think it will be a small, foldable one (a la Tokyo) because it will happen with live feed from the Memorial Coliseum for the lighting of the Big One over there.  A small one which could then be moved outside since there will be 2 or 3 other sports happening there.  Or as I was thinking, a small one which they could then loan to Long Beach so that the water events there have a cauldron of their own -- and then bring it back to the Coliseum for the Para Opening.  You heard it here first.  B)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

On 4/13/2022 at 1:25 PM, JesseSaenz said:

IDK about that, definitely feels like a stretch. LA certainly has its own heavy hitters, especially in the last 20 years. Not to mention the rest of the country's contribution to film/music. Not downplaying London or the UK for a second, but it is not like L.A. will somehow come up short against London, ESPECIALLY, in that category.

I think the hip-hop and some rock side would fit on the modern segment. The Hollywood side with be on the traditional/past segment.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2022 at 2:07 PM, Quaker2001 said:

As the stadium is not fully enclosed, they should be able to figure out some way for a lot of the audience in the stadium to be able to see it.

SoFi might just as well be fully enclosed since its canopy makes it not much less than a totally domed building.

I just read an article posted to insidethegames about the 2028 OOC saying they're so far meeting budget goals. I should hope so since that probably will be mainly one of the 3 goals they'll succeed in in 2028.

The second goal of ticket sales is iffy. I don't believe they'll outdo 1996's attendance record - not in today's culture and economy.

As for the 3rd goal, the one of planning/organization, 2028, compared with what their predecessors in 1984 had to deal with, hopefully will have a more advanced transportation plan. The last LA Olympics depended on transporting athletes in yellow school buses. lol. Funky.

As for the part that involves 2028's mascots? Its ceremonies? In today's era, I have lowered expectations.

On 4/15/2022 at 2:45 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

No, I think it will be a small, foldable one (a la Tokyo) because it will happen with live feed from the Memorial Coliseum for the lighting of the Big One over there. 

I don't like the idea of multiple cauldrons, whether it's the format used in Vancouver 2010 or the split layout of Rio 2016.

The torch-relay lighting ceremony in Greece always occurs in the same location in Athens and always uses women (I've read them being labeled as actresses) dressed in supposedly ancient garb. The 2028 OOC should stick with tradition too, save the money and go with the history/tradition of the 1932-1984 cauldron.

Posted (edited)

/\/\  Luckily, you're an incognito internet poster -- one of nameless, faceless millions.  ;)

The torch-relay lighting ceremony in Greece always occurs in the same location in Athens and always uses women (I've read them being labeled as actresses) dressed in supposedly ancient garb. 

Right there.  It ain't "Athens."  It's done in O-L-Y-M-P-I-A. They send it off in A.   :rolleyes:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Come to think of it, the IOC needs to modernize this event. They should have rap music piped into the background and the women dressed up in Cirque-de-Soleil-type costumes.

The IOC can also make this more exciting by having the actresses perform back flips and other acrobatic routines.

Maybe they can have the Spice Girls instead of the actresses?

Get with the times, IOC!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

SoFi might just as well be fully enclosed since its canopy makes it not much less than a totally domed building.

I just read an article posted to insidethegames about the 2028 OOC saying they're so far meeting budget goals. I should hope so since that probably will be mainly one of the 3 goals they'll succeed in in 2028.

The second goal of ticket sales is iffy. I don't believe they'll outdo 1996's attendance record - not in today's culture and economy.

As for the 3rd goal, the one of planning/organization, 2028, compared with what their predecessors in 1984 had to deal with, hopefully will have a more advanced transportation plan. The last LA Olympics depended on transporting athletes in yellow school buses. lol. Funky.

As for the part that involves 2028's mascots? Its ceremonies? In today's era, I have lowered expectations.

In 1996, there were 271 medal events.  The 2024 Olympics has 329 on the schedule.  Is that a serious argument that LA 2028 with 20% more events (not to mention expanded tournaments in some of the team sports and additional sessions for other sports) will fail to top Atlanta because "culture and economy"?  That's completely absurd.  Ticket sales will not be an issue for LA and it's all but a mathematical certainty they'll blow Atlanta's numbers out of the water.