Glasgow 2014 Opening Ceremony Live Chat

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NOW THAT WAS A THOROUGHLY ENJOYABLE OPENING CEREMONY. ..

If Glasgow was planning to hit the RESET button for the CWGs...Well they have for the Opening!

So different from anything gone before. Yes a good dollop of Scotland and Glasgow...BUT INCLUDING ALL THE COMMONWEALTH AS WELL.

A new Commonwealth Games age has begun!

NOW THAT WAS A THOROUGHLY ENJOYABLE OPENING CEREMONY. ..

If Glasgow was planning to hit the RESET button for the CWGs...Well they have for the Opening!

So different from anything gone before. Yes a good dollop of Scotland and Glasgow...BUT INCLUDING ALL THE COMMONWEALTH AS WELL.

A new Commonwealth Games age has begun!

Yeah, I admit the CWG were growing a bit out of proportion and started to look like the olympics (at least in Delhi). With this they gained an identity which differences it from the other megasport events. At least ceremony wise.

It felt like the same inclusive narrative of London 2012 all over again, trying too much to be more universal than national. Baton bearers and baton snatchers in black with golden details: another reminder of London. BTW, the past three opening shows in the UK - Manchester, London and Glasgow all have dealt with many common elements. Maybe because the UK's Olympic Journey began in 2002 and reaches the finishing line now in 2014.

The only thing I'd re watch is Captain Jack's Scottish cliche segment. Rest was pretty forgettable apart from the doggies.

Weee bit of a stretch at the end, it did go over time, but if you take out the March Past, the great time time dragger, not overly bad. And yeah the dogs were cool. Memories of my childhood comming back seeing them. Totally miss "Tutae", can still hear her bark.

Archived