Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

I doubt it. I think the exposed sculpture is probably just a lead in to what will come out of the floor. And the cauldron here should MATCH the big one at the Port Area in design -- so there is some unity. Or at least that's how I would do it.

Do you really think so? Again, I think the floor is flat and there is no tunnel there. What makes you think so?

That wouldn't be a tunnel there baron. That would require a hole the size of a shipping container which isn't there. Maracana has a top of the line drainage system under the turf which is what I think you saw and mistook it as tunnels. Big shiny spiny thing hanging from the roof is absolutely the cauldron.

did the "tunnels" look something like this?
28074652601_dc3137e3af_b.jpg

Do you really think so? Again, I think the floor is flat and there is no tunnel there. What makes you think so?

BC Place in Vancouver had a concrete floor. They broke thru the concrete floor and dug a hole 8 feet deep (est.) to accommodate the brazier of the cauldron that you saw. In Athens, in the center of that lake was a tunnel 25 feet deep to accommodate the head (laying down) and other pieces of stage craft.

I could be wrong, but in another picture, NOT that one, it seemed there were like the "mouths" of the tunnels in the field. And that was the time to put them in.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I still don't think they'd put tunnels and holes in the middle of an expensive drainage system. Especially because this stadium has to be used for the football gold medal matches.

This is the 21st century. Do the soccer plays weigh one ton each? :blink: They have the technology to put tunnels where they might be needed and deal with all the various uses on top. If Hamas and El Chappo can dig tunnels in prison and across borders, what more over an empty field? I'm not saying there is, but I believe there is at leat one tunnel there from that picture that I saw; and the Ceremonias Cariocas had already been formed when the reconstruction work was going on.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

It seems Santos=Dumont never really took to hot air as a lifting source for his dirigibles, which is a pity because a self-lifting flying Olympic Cauldron would be a lovely thing to see!

title.jpg

http://www.hotairships.com/

I think the dangerous idea .
For some reason , maybe I'm even wrong, but the Maracana coverage seems canvas like airships . And the stadium is small compared to London 2012 or Beijing 2008 for the issue of athletics track .
Whenever I think of fire and Maracanã think the stadium roof .
Well, remember that in 2014 the coverage of the stadium was damaged by fireworks the Maracana .
Will they use many fireworks in OC ? And they will be released from the Maracana ?

I know I'm a little bit late for the party, but that suspended structure within Maracana Stadium sure looks interesting - even if it might have nothing at all to do with the cauldron! ;) But it looks very much (at least in the present state) like the sun, so it could be incorporated in the theatrical part of the ceremony but it could also be some sort of "Rio 2007 cauldron" remake. And if it's the latter, I deem it possible that that structure will be raised behind those boxes as soon as the final torch bearer(s) have/has ignited it, thereby symbolising the rising sun. It could be a very exciting lighting scenario. But after having been certain until only a few days before the 2012 Games that London will have a cauldron somewhere outside the Olympic Stadium, I have become quite cautious about making cauldron predictions! :D

I know I'm a little bit late for the party, but that suspended structure within Maracana Stadium sure looks interesting - even if it might have nothing at all to do with the cauldron! ;) But it looks very much (at least in the present state) like the sun, so it could be incorporated in the theatrical part of the ceremony but it could also be some sort of "Rio 2007 cauldron" remake. And if it's the latter, I deem it possible that that structure will be raised behind those boxes as soon as the final torch bearer(s) have/has ignited it, thereby symbolising the rising sun. It could be a very exciting lighting scenario. But after having been certain until only a few days before the 2012 Games that London will have a cauldron somewhere outside the Olympic Stadium, I have become quite cautious about making cauldron predictions! :D

I see that sculpture more like the Firebird in the London ceremonies. Just an extra prop, probably a prelude to distract the curious and the gullible from the real cauldron.

i think if things are rising up, they must come from the box-city =

look at this little hole right in the middle line of the 'supposed cauldron sculpture'

which i think will defo move forwards to end up above the boxes -

hint the lightning? like in seoul or nagano with the torch bearer rising towards the cauldron?

or perhaps to finish of the floating sculpture?

T1rf_Tk1.jpghost images

• Like 1

by the shape and circles on the edges It looks like an incomplete "in cloud light". The movement form rings, so i think its a good choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTWqo5H-aig

-Any chance some pieces coming with the athletes like London? The spheres that are missing?

-Fire coming from the edges or in the center?

I was expecting something more like a globe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5XB54AIT7o

by the shape and circles on the edges It looks like an incomplete "in cloud light". The movement form rings, so i think its a good choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTWqo5H-aig

-Any chance some pieces coming with the athletes like London? The spheres that are missing?

-Fire coming from the edges or in the center?

I was expecting something more like a globe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5XB54AIT7o

I still can's see the cauldron being a kinetic sculpture. It wold be neat, but I'm not seeing it happen.

Also, isn't the concept of pieces of the cauldron being brought in with the athletes a bit too much like London? Once the Greek team walks in and we see someone carrying an odd looking item, we're all going to know it's the cauldron. The appeal of London'd cauldron was that we didn't know what the kids were carrying or why.

• Like 1