Next Stop: Rio (The handover performance)

You guys just don't know what you're missing out on.

There is something kind of special about waking up in the middle of the night to watch an Olympic opening ceremony (granted, only an 8am start this morning though here in NZ).

Maybe it's just an antipodean thing.

Ha ha! I had that honour for both the Beijing Games (which I watched first thing in the morning while on vacation in the Canadian Maritimes) and Sydney (which I watched in the wee hours here in Vancouver).

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something to do with a beach?

You guys just don't know what you're missing out on.

There is something kind of special about waking up in the middle of the night to watch an Olympic opening ceremony (granted, only an 8am start this morning though here in NZ).

Maybe it's just an antipodean thing.

I loved it, setting my alarm for 5:15 it still being dark and just waking up seeing No doubt playing on Good Morning America. (never seen it lol) then it began!

We already know the performers (Marisa Monte, Seu Jorge and B Negão), and the director have told he will try to avoid cliches... I don't know what to expect, but just the presence of Alessandra Ambrósio will make the handover the best part of London's ceremonies...

Perhaps the video intro (which there probably will be) will involve those Brazilian school children tourists (From the Hope and Glory video in the ceremony) return home, with souvenirs from London and claiming that they saw "James Bond".

I suspect (based on nothing more than a hunch) that Brazil will go for something colourful and vibrant and carnival styled.I know its trendy to try to oppose clichés but clichés exist for a reason : namely they have elements of truth to them. And Brazil will surely do that. But who knows.

Here's hoping for lots of bikins, baby oil and booty shakin'! ;)

Perhaps the video intro (which there probably will be) will involve those Brazilian school children tourists (From the Hope and Glory video in the ceremony) return home, with souvenirs from London and claiming that they saw "James Bond".

Well spotted!!!

That's would be smart (about the children)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, Bossa Nova will be represented in the handover segment, too! Very nice!

I think that this will give us quite a good impression what we can expect in four years time at the opening ceremony. Quite often, there are already references to the later opening ceremony in the handover segment, even if they aren't always directed by the same producers. I think that Sydney's handover in Atlanta already was very much in line with the style of its opening ceremony (especially the inspiring music and the big colourful displays), Torino even re-used some of the handover music and the flagthrowers for its opening and closing ceremony, Vancouver already had projections in its handover and London already showed tongue-in-cheek humour with slightly bizarre transforming props (the Routemaster bus) in its handover.

It was a brilliant idea of the Los Angeles 1984 organisers and/or the IOC to switch the handover from the opening ceremony of the new host city to the closing ceremony of the previous host city. This way, we can get already some sort of appetizer for the next host country and city.

It was a brilliant idea of the Los Angeles 1984 organisers and/or the IOC to switch the handover from the opening ceremony of the new host city to the closing ceremony of the previous host city. This way, we can get already some sort of appetizer for the next host country and city.

Haha, I didn't know it used to be in the Opening Ceremony, how stupid.

I read some guy called Jum Nakao will design the costumes for the performers at the handover. I googled to see some of his works and they look like they were taken straight from Alberville 92 o_o

http://www.jumnakao.com.br/

Anyway, the handover seems promising. I'm glad they will apparently show us some Bossa Nova and will not depend only on Samba.Can't wait to see it this sunday.

Have to agree. The passing of the flag and cultural performances of the past host at the opening ceremony of previous games was kind of strange. A look backward instead of a glimpse of what was to come.

Yes, and it was also strange that the host cities got the Antwerp flag only when "their" Olympiad was already almost over, namely at the opening ceremony. And afterwards, they still had to keep the flag in their town hall although their whole celebration was already over. Pretty anti-climatic. Now, host cities can celebrate the arrival of the Antwerp flag (or Seoul flag, as it is now) as a first piece of the Games they want to celebrate four years later. That makes a lot more sense.

Well, I think that technically Olympiads (the 4 year period between Games) begin the year of the Games. But still, the OCOGs would have been shut down and flag would be sitting in the city hall as a reminder of the Games that were, not in the build up and excitement of the Games to come.

Well, I think that technically Olympiads (the 4 year period between Games) begin the year of the Games. But still, the OCOGs would have been shut down and flag would be sitting in the city hall as a reminder of the Games that were, not in the build up and excitement of the Games to come.

An Olympiad is defined as the period of time between January 1st of the year a city hosts the games and December 31st of the year before the next city hosts the. London's Olympiad e.g. lasts from January 1st, 2012 until December 31st, 2015.

Yes, and it was also strange that the host cities got the Antwerp flag only when "their" Olympiad was already almost over, namely at the opening ceremony. And afterwards, they still had to keep the flag in their town hall although their whole celebration was already over. Pretty anti-climatic. Now, host cities can celebrate the arrival of the Antwerp flag (or Seoul flag, as it is now) as a first piece of the Games they want to celebrate four years later. That makes a lot more sense.

This was prompted by 2 events in 1984. (See page 154 of the newest edition of my book.)

Archived