Madrid 2020

That's so silly to even bother to create a volunteering program when it is still a whole seven years away, IF successful. What a waste of time and (more importantly) resources.

Istanbul's volunteers;0

Madrid's Volunteers:50000

Thats what people will read, Madrid can. Volunteers have already started working, so if there is anything silly in here it may be your comment

Istanbul's volunteers;0

Thats what people will read, Madrid can. Volunteers have already started working, so if there is anything silly in here it may be your comment

Maybe it has more to do with the fact that the Istanbul bid team is able to see the current situation for what it is: the bidding process.

If my comment is so silly, then please explain to me the organisational logic of Madrid claiming it has "50,000" volunteers 7 years in advance? If not empty rhetoric, then what is it? Are these people appropriate? have they been screen and gone through the interview process? Do they know their roles? Can they commit to something seven years from now?

It is a meaningless and pointless exercise aimed at the uneducated observer: just a pity for Madrid that generally the IOC voting body is clued up on what is useful info and what is not.

But if this gives you more confidence, then go figure.

• Like 2

Istanbul's volunteers;0

It's low when you target someones favorite city. What about Tokyo? How many (pointless) volunteers do they have. I will say though props to Madrid, they have officially created one of the most hilarious bids of the 21st century...Tulsa would be proud.

Volunteers receive information about bid related events (popular runs, sporting events, charity events, promotional video recording ...) inviting us to participate in different functions. A lot of them had participate in more than 5 promotional events this yearr.

They are 50,000 people actively involved on the illusion to organize the Games.

Volunteers receive information about bid related events (popular runs, sporting events, charity events, promotional video recording ...) inviting us to participate in different functions. A lot of them had participate in more than 5 promotional events this yearr.

They are 50,000 people actively involved on the illusion to organize the Games.

Their reaction will be worse than Chicago's when Mr. Rogge says, " The city of Madrid receiving the least amount of votes will not participate." Please don't get me wrong Madrid is beautiful, but Spain is in a bad economic situation and I imagine that this would not be the best event for an economy in their state. If Spain wants a games bid Barcelona 2022.

It's low when you target someones favorite city. What about Tokyo? How many (pointless) volunteers do they have. I will say though props to Madrid, they have officially created one of the most hilarious bids of the 21st century...Tulsa would be proud.

hilarious is a positive adjective, better than boring and radioactive

I don't find Madrid's bid laughable in the least. It's actually the best of their three recent attempts, and that's saying something. I think Madrid would unquestionably stage memorable, successful Games.

The two big problems I see with Madrid's bid are:

1.) It is ill-timed. Madrid's economy does not inspire confidence and 2020 is still too close to Barcelona '92, in my opinion.

2.) The budget is too low, particularly for security. That said, Madrid CAN pull off cost-effective Games for a fraction of what their competitors are proposing.

I don't find Madrid's bid laughable in the least. It's actually the best of their three recent attempts, and that's saying something. I think Madrid would unquestionably stage memorable, successful Games.

The two big problems I see with Madrid's bid are:

1.) It is ill-timed. Madrid's economy does not inspire confidence and 2020 is still too close to Barcelona '92, in my opinion.

2.) The budget is too low, particularly for security. That said, Madrid CAN pull off cost-effective Games for a fraction of what their competitors are proposing.

I have no doubt they would be great. Madrid would provide a wonderful backdrop for the games, but I think their time to shine are the 2040's. I think they should bid for the 2044 games. This way Barcelona can host 2022; I think the Barcelona 2022 would begin to re-vitalize Spain's economy and by '44 I see them in a stronger and more stable position to host a Summer Games. The reason I say Barcelona 2022 is because Barcelona has a great reputation with the Olympics, a Winter Games is cheaper to stage and considering the fact that they could renovate the Barcelona '92 venues to fit the Winter Olympics Spain would save even more money, the last is that a Barcelona games would be an undoubted success and could even re- gauge interest in hosting the Winter Olympics (especially if it was at max 1 billion.) 2lvd5lj.png

I have no doubt they would be great. Madrid would provide a wonderful backdrop for the games, but I think their time to shine are the 2040's. I think they should bid for the 2044 games. This way Barcelona can host 2022; I think the Barcelona 2022 would begin to re-vitalize Spain's economy and by '44 I see them in a stronger and more stable position to host a Summer Games. The reason I say Barcelona 2022 is because Barcelona has a great reputation with the Olympics, a Winter Games is cheaper to stage and considering the fact that they could renovate the Barcelona '92 venues to fit the Winter Olympics Spain would save even more money, the last is that a Barcelona games would be an undoubted success and could even re- gauge interest in hosting the Winter Olympics (especially if it was at max 1 billion.) 2lvd5lj.png

Then why did you say Madrid's bid was "hilarious" and "Tulsa would be proud"? You reverse yourself so constantly that I can't take anything you say seriously.

As has been written about at length, the Castllian/Catalonian rivalry will most likely prevent a Barcelona bid from getting off the ground. It's also very difficult to argue that Spain, a weak winter sports nation, is more ready to host than, say, Germany.

Incidentally, the IOC outlawed any representation of the Olympic flame in a bid logo.

"Cuando vayas a Madrid chulona mía voy a hacerte Emperatriz de Lavapies"

"When you go to Madrid mine chulona (beautifull girl) I'll make you Empress of Lavapies (an old district of Madrid)"

Tipical Madrileña folk

Dedicate to Olympic torch

Here you have a modern version of the song 'Madrid, Madrid'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMxMXWCz8UM

Then why did you say Madrid's bid was "hilarious" and "Tulsa would be proud"? You reverse yourself so constantly that I can't take anything you say seriously.

As has been written about at length, the Castllian/Catalonian rivalry will most likely prevent a Barcelona bid from getting off the ground. It's also very difficult to argue that Spain, a weak winter sports nation, is more ready to host than, say, Germany.

Incidentally, the IOC outlawed any representation of the Olympic flame in a bid logo.

Madrid's efforts to get the games are hilarious, the constant bidding is hilarious. Twice they have bid against new frontiers; all this money and bidding just to beat Barcelona. It's very funny. Why so much rivalry ( Madrid vs. Barcelona) anyways?

Two relatively major cities in a medium sized country is always coupled with healthy rivalry.

Australia: Melbourne vs. Sydney

Canada: Montreal vs. Toronto

China: Beijing vs. Shanghai

Russia: Moscow vs. St. Petersburg

Brazil: Rio vs São Paulo.

Interesting that there is generally a trend of the "second city" hosting before the other: Melbourne, Montreal, Barcelona and Rio.

First names in the list of 24 s portsmen which will travell to Buenos Aires with Madrid's team.

Mireia Belmonte (swiming 3 medals BCN 2013)

Ona Carbonell ( synchro 7 medals BCN 2013)

Jeniffer Pareja ( waterpolo silver London, gold BCN)

Teresa Perales (22 paralympic medals)

Madrid's efforts to get the games are hilarious, the constant bidding is hilarious. Twice they have bid against new frontiers; all this money and bidding just to beat Barcelona. It's very funny. Why so much rivalry ( Madrid vs. Barcelona) anyways?

Hilarious? You have an interesting sense of humor.

Madrid nearly won 2012 on the second ballot, but ended up third. They were a distant second to Rio for 2016, which was a surprisingly good result. Yes, they're bidding against Istanbul, which I suppose qualifies as a new frontier, but Istanbul is no Rio and certainly not a shoo-in.

Your comment about new frontiers seems to bizarrely suggest that any bid that opposes a new frontier is "hilarious." That makes no sense whatsoever as all new frontiers are not guaranteed winners. Is Tokyo hilarious too? Was Chicago?

As for the Castillian/Catalonian rivalry, do you read these boards? Do you use Google or Wikipedia? A little bit of reading will educate you about the social and cultural differences between the regions, Catalonia's resentment, threats to break away, etc.

Yes, Madrid has bid frequently and this is odd considering that Barcelona was just over 20 years ago. There is a quixotic flavor to their persistence. However, your earlier posts had a tone of mockery that made it sound like Madrid's bid was a laughingstock. I don't see any basis for that.

I believe that you are a very young poster who writes without bothering to research facts. I'm not sure you have any real opinions of your own. You seem to write whatever you think the general consensus may agree with. The "hilarious" thing is that you do such a poor job of educating yourself on the subjects at hand and you spend so little time trying to understand the relevant viewpoints, that your posts ring very hollow. When someone challenges you, you reverse positions and invalidate whatever you said previously. All this makes it very difficult to respect you.

First names in the list of 24 s portsmen which will travell to Buenos Aires with Madrid's team.

Mireia Belmonte (swiming 3 medals BCN 2013)

Ona Carbonell ( synchro 7 medals BCN 2013)

Jeniffer Pareja ( waterpolo silver London, gold BCN)

Teresa Perales (22 paralympic medals)

If I'm not mistaken, Joel González (taekwondo gold medallist in London and twice world champion) will also be there.

Two relatively major cities in a medium sized country is always coupled with healthy rivalry.

Australia: Melbourne vs. Sydney

Canada: Montreal vs. Toronto

China: Beijing vs. Shanghai

Russia: Moscow vs. St. Petersburg

Brazil: Rio vs São Paulo.

Interesting that there is generally a trend of the "second city" hosting before the other: Melbourne, Montreal, Barcelona and Rio.

I've always been fascinated by that dichotomy. You forgot:

India - Mumbai v. Kolkatta

Italy - Rome v. Milan

Japan - Tokyo v. Osaka

So. Africa - Johannesburg v. Cape Town

Holland - Amsterdam v. Rotterdam

California - LA v. San Francisco

Texas - Dallas v. Houston

• Like 1

Hilarious? You have an interesting sense of humor.

Madrid nearly won 2012 on the second ballot, but ended up third. They were a distant second to Rio for 2016, which was a surprisingly good result. Yes, they're bidding against Istanbul, which I suppose qualifies as a new frontier, but Istanbul is no Rio and certainly not a shoo-in.

Your comment about new frontiers seems to bizarrely suggest that any bid that opposes a new frontier is "hilarious." That makes no sense whatsoever as all new frontiers are not guaranteed winners. Is Tokyo hilarious too? Was Chicago?

As for the Castillian/Catalonian rivalry, do you read these boards? Do you use Google or Wikipedia? A little bit of reading will educate you about the social and cultural differences between the regions, Catalonia's resentment, threats to break away, etc.

Yes, Madrid has bid frequently and this is odd considering that Barcelona was just over 20 years ago. There is a quixotic flavor to their persistence. However, your earlier posts had a tone of mockery that made it sound like Madrid's bid was a laughingstock. I don't see any basis for that.

I believe that you are a very young poster who writes without bothering to research facts. I'm not sure you have any real opinions of your own. You seem to write whatever you think the general consensus may agree with. The "hilarious" thing is that you do such a poor job of educating yourself on the subjects at hand and you spend so little time trying to understand the relevant viewpoints, that your posts ring very hollow. When someone challenges you, you reverse positions and invalidate whatever you said previously. All this makes it very difficult to respect you.

You say Tomato I say Tomato. I think Madrid's constant bidding is funny, in some ways 2016 was funny, but an interesting look on those cities plans. I firmly believe that Tokyo will win; I may not want them to, but I believe they will. If they do not it will be a welcomed surprise. I started out wanting Madrid or Istanbul to win and still want them to, but after 'researching' it will be very hard for them to pull a victory. Same thing goes for each city; especially after Rome claiming it will bid in 2024 if Tokyo wins and I think the officials in Paris are thinking the same. Madrid has everything going against them (except for the venue plan) that their persistence makes them look like fools trying to drive when their windows are fogged.

My opinions are my own and are not shaped by others.

Don't forget New Orleans v Baton Rouge!

Very funny...

You say Tomato I say Tomato. I think Madrid's constant bidding is funny, in some ways 2016 was funny, but an interesting look on those cities plans. I firmly believe that Tokyo will win; I may not want them to, but I believe they will. If they do not it will be a welcomed surprise. I started out wanting Madrid or Istanbul to win and still want them to, but after 'researching' it will be very hard for them to pull a victory. Same thing goes for each city; especially after Rome claiming it will bid in 2024 if Tokyo wins and I think the officials in Paris are thinking the same. Madrid has everything going against them (except for the venue plan) that their persistence makes them look like fools trying to drive when their windows are fogged.

My opinions are my own and are not shaped by others.

Very funny...

Why all the hate towards Madrid? This is one of their best bids that they have put forth and they have a nice shot at getting the games. At this point I think it's neck and neck and open fields. It could go to anyone.

the real hilarity is watching you bodying br2028 in every thread. it's the best thing about gamesbids right now.

i'd cry if anyone ever said that stuff about me, but i have thin skin.

the real hilarity is watching you bodying br2028 in every thread. it's the best thing about gamesbids right now.

i'd cry if anyone ever said that stuff about me, but i have thin skin.

I don't know how funny it is. Now that I re-read that post it's a bit harsh. I shouldn't be unkind, BR, and I am sorry for that.