Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

dave what do you think the results of the vote will be?

I'm not sure. I've heard Shelley Carrol and Ana Bailao would be supportive. Michael Thompson said he was not going to support. Raymond Cho previously supported our 2008 bid as a member of city council, will he support this one? I'm not sure about the rest of the members.

I'm so nervous right now it's unbelievable.

Kelly said we'll get an answer on whether to proceed with either

1. Just an Olympic bid

2. Just an Expo bid

3. Explore both Olympic and Expo bids further

4.Acknowledge that these bids as too premature and go for them at a later date

5.Scrap both

I'm not sure. I've heard Shelley Carrol and Ana Bailao would be supportive. Michael Thompson said he was not going to support. Raymond Cho previously supported our 2008 bid as a member of city council, will he support this one? I'm not sure about the rest of the members.

I don't see the issue in spending the 1 million to investigate further, and if it doesn't work out, oh well.

I think what's screwing with public confidence in this is a factor of things such as the Mayor Ford scandal, his handling of the Ice Storm cleanup, and then Ford and other members of provincial government making it seem as the Pan Am games are wrapped in scandal and lies, which is a total exaggeration.

Anyone else notice during Ford's interview how he is trying to imply that the cost isn't $1 million but $55 million that the taxpapers would have to cover. Wasn't he informed that those funds wouldn't be coming from public funds? If he was then it's clear what he's trying to do here.

What is up with Ford? He keeps suggesting that the Pan Am games are already a disaster.

Yeah, it's his strategy to persuade voters to vote No.

I must say I would have enjoyed seeing the city bid so it is disappointing but maybe it is best waiting for 2028 considering most international members here don't think Toronto had much of a chance for 2024. Things happen for a reason so I hope the Torontonian members on this board aren't too upset.

Too bad, but after the election in 2014 a new mayor and council can see it revived. The Pan Am Games will also prep the masses, a 2015 bid for 2024 is still doable.

Most of the planning work is going on with the Pan Am committee anyway, a lot can change in the next year politically.

Too bad, but after the election in 2014 a new mayor and council can see it revived. The Pan Am Games will also prep the masses, a 2015 bid for 2024 is still doable.

What is the liklihood of that? lol I highly doubt they would revive it. After this, we should just wait and scope out the competition for 2028.

Question for the Toronto members here: how happy are you with the 2015 Pan-Am Games as an end result in of itself? If it doesn't lead to an Olympics.

I ask because if the people get disenchanted with costs after the Pan-Ams, then it might be hard getting support for a bigger Olympics after 2015. The first question posed after 2015 will be why would we need to host both?

Rob Ford was exaggerating about the Pan Ams. They will go very smoothly, I predict. The silver lining here is that 2028 might provide a more winnable field of candidates.

If South African city loses 2024, they could be extremely tough to beat in 2028 if things improve. I'm not sure 2028 is too far away and the 2024 race isn't even official yet. It's just so early.

2015's prep work seems to be developing smoothly and the legacy infrastructure and beautification work more than make it worthwhile. Any exposure it will give us within the Latin American countries is just icing on the cake and I for one am looking forward to those parties B)

That being said, although the new subway lines are coming with or without an Olympics, the waterfront revitalization would have been fast tracked immeasurably by hosting one, and certainly would be of a higher quality than a more utilitarian approach to urban development. Hopefully we either turn this around after the next election or we land this in 2028.

Note: my post was in response to Gangwon.

Rob Ford was exaggerating about the Pan Ams. They will go very smoothly, I predict. The silver lining here is that 2028 might provide a more winnable field of candidates.

Too bad for Toronto :-(

2028 doesn't seem easy either: If 2024 will be Europe vs Durban vs US, then

1) US wins, 2028 is a no-go

2) Europe wins, Durban may not get rejected again 4 years later

3) Durban wins, IOC finally must seek to return to Europe 16 years after London

Not to forget that maybe some cash cow from Asia will also pop up somewhere and al-Sabah spins the IOC into voting for it...

I think what's making this worse is the debating is taking place in an election year. The opposition parties will do anything to make the liberal party look bad and they keep attacking the government for their handling of the Pan Ams

Too bad for Toronto :-(

2028 doesn't seem easy either: If 2024 will be Europe vs Durban vs US, then

1) US wins, 2028 is a no-go

2) Europe wins, Durban may not get rejected again 4 years later

3) Durban wins, IOC finally must seek to return to Europe 16 years after London

Not to forget that maybe some cash cow from Asia will also pop up somewhere and al-Sabah spins the IOC into voting for it...

And if the US doesn't enter or losses the 2024 race, one would assume they would return for 2028 with a stronger crop of candidate cities than what they have now. This will pose a major threat to Toronto.

What's annoying is this decision was made by a committee, why not get the full council to vote on it?

Toronto didn't stand a chance for 2024. They made the right call.

If the US doesn't bid now they really are idiots. Yes, they might lose, but it certainly gives them the best shot in quite some time. If either France or South Africa doesn't bid, then the US really couldn't ask for anything more.

The US doesn't really have a strong case either, against the likes of Durban or Paris. It really has to be a great bid from a great American city - Dallas just wont cut it. Los Angeles is great, but its previous time hosting could make it an easy target for guilt-free early elimination.

A top tier US city, and to a lesser extent Toronto, and below that second tier US cities will stand a better chance in the 2030s.

I'd be willing to bet that 2024 and 2028 will end up in Africa and Europe.

It is now up to the COC and the USOC to each stand off and resist bidding on the 2026 and 2030 Winter Olympics, and hold off for the Summer - and if they can do that then its quite possible that we might see LA/Chicago/Toronto/NYC/DC etc host 2032.

This Toronto decision could stand as a sobering wake up call to the likes of Dallas - which has little of the appeal Toronto can offer.

The US doesn't really have a strong case either, against the likes of Durban or Paris.

I might hope that they both, or either, enter. But I wouldn't be too confident they'll inevitably be in the race. If the best the US faces is, say, Rome, I'd think that's a competitive race.

It's possible Toronto might not happen in our lifetimes. I can see this:

2024 Europe

2028 South Africa

2032 USA

2036 Europe

2040 China

2044 Argentina

2048 Europe

2052 India

2056 Africa

2060 Europe

2064 Canada? Australia? Middle East?

There's too many places to go in this world. Then again, maybe USA goes winter for 2026 and then Canada gets 2032.

There's too many places to go in this world. Then again, maybe USA goes winter for 2026 and then Canada gets 2032.

This. This is what it comes down to.

Much of my apathy for the Canadian plight for a fourth overall Olympics stems from the hosting of 2010. Had the COC stayed on track and blocked Vancouver 2010, Toronto would have had a watertight case for the Olympics, and probably would have won 2020 against Tokyo, Istanbul and Madrid.

Just quietly, the most tactical thing Toronto could be doing right now is making friends with Denver, Salt Lake or Reno. A Winter Olympics in one of these cities in 2026 or 2030 would open the door to Toronto in the 2030s.

• Like 1