**spoilers** Opening Ceremony Content **spoilers**

From another forum:

Here's my experience (minimal spoilers, no specifics):

Just came back from the dress rehearsal. Had to eat after that, it was a long night.

Without spoilers, I LOVED it!!!! It's not Beijing good (nothing will be) but it definitely was creative with MANY moments of 'did I just see that?!?!' and cool visuals.

I have my doubts about the audience bit but it's not a wirelessly controlled thing, it's more of a, your props will have a number, do this when this number shows up. But I won't divulge what the effect will be. Many AMAZING performances.

Cool thing, for this final dress rehearsal, any singer who will be singing was present and did their set. So the audience saw the full deal, the ONLY thing that we didn't get compared to the real thing on friday is the cauldron and the final torchbearer. And we didn't see the audience effect (because we don't have the props/souvenirs) but we were told to mimic the actions. oh yeah, and no speeches, they had stand-ins reciting history of olympics and vancouver to fill in the time that the VIPs would be speaking. Haha, it was a very funny moment.

It definitely makes you love Canada. I had a few teary-eyed moments and there were many crazy applauses.

Also, during the pre-show, we got performances as well as speeches from (real) John Furlong (who got a standing ovation), Gregor Robertson, Gordon Campbell, and Stephen Harper.

I cannot believe how much fun I had.

Also, to be honest, if you bought the A or B seats, the $1000, you're not going to see the full visuals. Honestly, the 400 levels had the best view (unless you're on the east side, the jumbotron is blocked and you'll have to look at either the smaller jumbotron across from you or turnaround to the one behind you.)

Torino didn't even try, if I recall correctly -- Stefania Belmondo was named already a few days before the ceremony.

That's not true, infact I was hoping until the end that the last torchbearer would be (and should have been IMO) the great Alberto Tomba.

Nobody knew in advance that they would choose Stefania Belmondo.

I have to disagree with you on this.

I checked this from an Italian newspaper, "La Stampa" of Torino, dated 10/02/2006, the day of the Openeng Ceremony, and it wrote that the decision on the final torchbearer was to be made at 13.00, so only few hours before the beginning of the OC and that the decision was between Tomba and Belmondo.

So, NOBODY knew before the OC which one of these two was going to be chosen as a final torchbearer, I didn't know it until I saw Tomba entering the Stadium first.

Of course there was chatter like now in Vancouver with Wayne Gretzky, but not the certainty.

Since the Torino 2006 website doesn't exist anymore, I can't give you any proof for what I said. But I still remember going into the opening ceremony back then, knowing (and not only guessing) that she would be the final torchbearer. Maybe she announced it after 1 p.m. on opening day, but I still remember that it was known for certain before the ceremony that she's "the one".

I have a question about the ceremony. Does anybody know how many hours will it last?

I've read the rehearsals took about 2 hours and a half but I don't know if that included the parade of nations :unsure:

We already discussed that a couple of pages before. An insider claims it's 2.5 hours but actually, both the Torino and the Beijing opening ceremonies didn't take less than 3 hours. So it might be that the parade of nations was done much quicker in the dress rehearsals, since there were no athletes but only placeholder flagbearers.

Because everyone is scared of her because they dont want the world to think thats all they can offer :lol: I mean, Celine Dion is a great singer but it would be SOOOOOO obvious that she takes part on the show.

She's just been on Oprah this week, and also just announced a new residency in Vegas (so the timing is right). As, arguably, the most succesful worldwide singer that Canada has ever produced, I'd be amazed if she doesn't have a part to play in the opening

When it comes to an Olympic Opening ceremony, you can't be too famous to play a part in it, can you?

I dont want to watch it as well (and to be honest this guy should be ashamed of himself for killing the surprise), only watched the first few seconds which had the ice totems and i closed it.

No seriously. I suggest this thread should be closed now. I had enough back in 2006 when they purposely spoiled everything :blink:

Big spoiler in form of a video in Youtube. Dont watch it if you dont want to be greatly spoiled (i'm trying to avoid watching it as well)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Rj9sjV-rw

I think this will be my last post on this thread. See ya tomorrow at 6:00 PM :lol:

I couldn't resist -- and I don't want to give anything away for those who don't want to see the video. Just this: Oh - my - God! Beijing can start packing. It's superb. It may sound unbelievable, but with less performers, Vancouver seems to achieve an even greater ceremony. Every segment in that video was stunning. Although I might sound overly enthusiastic now, but we can probably prepare for the best Olympic opening ceremony ever (although that's always a matter of personal taste, of course -- but I'm certain that many, many of you will like it). Now if you've become curious for the clip -- don't blame me. ;)

Seriously: I think one can watch the clip and still be dazzled and surprised when watching the whole ceremony tomorrow.

And by the way: I don't think that this thread should be closed. If you don't want to know any further spoilers, stay away. Simple as that.