Madrid 2016 Official: Rio Has Worst Olympics Bid

Soaring

As I understand it, Daley was asked a direct question. Now, maybe he shouldn't have answered it, but it's not the same as coming out and saying one of the other bids is the "worst".

The press is trying to catch everyone. The number of questions about Obama to the Brazilian leadership has been overwhelming. Today, a reporter asked Cesar Cielo, a Brazilian swimmer, if he would have the same success if he did not train in the US. He came out fine, but he was probably prepared.

Daley acted a little bit recklessly. Especially because the question was done in regards of the WC reducing the chances of Rio. He could have come up with a little more political remark saying that both events are different and the EC pointed the challenges to do both in their report. Besides he made remarks also on Madrid and Tokyo chances because of continent rotation. It wasn't a smart move.

That's only been there for the last week or so. I've been here talking about these 2016 since they were announced. Surely you can forgive a little banner ad in the week before the vote? :D

Well, I'm pretty sure before that banner there was some Chicago 2016 related images.

Anyway, I forgive you! :lol:

The press is trying to catch everyone. The number of questions about Obama to the Brazilian leadership has been overwhelming. Today, a reporter asked Cesar Cielo, a Brazilian swimmer, if he would have the same success if he did not train in the US. He came out fine, but he was probably prepared.

Daley acted a little bit recklessly. Especially because the question was done in regards of the WC reducing the chances of Rio. He could have come up with a little more political remark saying that both events are different and the EC pointed the challenges to do both in their report. Besides he made remarks also on Madrid and Tokyo chances because of continent rotation. It wasn't a smart move.

Daley's not great with answering questions so it's not all that difficult to trip him up - especially if the journalist has experience with questioning the mayor. Chicago journalists also make a point of asking him the same question until the mayor finally gives the answer they wanted. Planned answers also aren't his strong suit (or prepared speeches for that matter - but he's been doing better recently) - he probably just focused on the "World Cup" "Olympics" parts and thought - "Chicago had the World Cup 15 years ago. We're planning a bid for the Olympics. This is a questions about the Olympics. Different experience. Different preparations." - without considering the Rio-comparison part of the question. But, he knows how the city works and how to get things done.

CHItown '16

Daley's not great with answering questions so it's not all that difficult to trip him up - especially if the journalist has experience with questioning the mayor. Chicago journalists also make a point of asking him the same question until the mayor finally gives the answer they wanted. Planned answers also aren't his strong suit (or prepared speeches for that matter - but he's been doing better recently) - he probably just focused on the "World Cup" "Olympics" parts and thought - "Chicago had the World Cup 15 years ago. We're planning a bid for the Olympics. This is a questions about the Olympics. Different experience. Different preparations." - without considering the Rio-comparison part of the question. But, he knows how the city works and how to get things done.

CHItown '16

In my comments I have always said that Lula is a loose cannon, but apparently, so is Daley. Not to mention the Madrid guy. He came out with "I will always emphasize the weak points from my opponents" after the Madrid committee issued a formal apology. Those guys are going to make clumsy statements.

Fortunately, on the Rio side, the worst we had so far in Denmark was Pele mistaking Michael Jordan name for Michael Jackson. Lula started pretty good.

The comment certainly doesn't help Madrid, but it doesn't do Rio any favors either. It was pretty clear that the EC report gave Rio a fair amount of grace. Yes, Rio's bid is far superior to South America's previous bids, but in a way, I think the guy was just "calling a spade a spade." Granted, he shouldn't have said it.

In my comments I have always said that Lula is a loose cannon, but apparently, so is Daley. Not to mention the Madrid guy. He came out with "I will always emphasize the weak points from my opponents" after the Madrid committee issued a formal apology. Those guys are going to make clumsy statements.

Fortunately, on the Rio side, the worst we had so far in Denmark was Pele mistaking Michael Jordan name for Michael Jackson. Lula started pretty good.

Daley can keep it under control pretty well, though - especially when discussing plans and when it's a project that matters to him. When he doesn't give a straightforward answer to the Chicago press, they'll be asking him the same question for the next month and bringing it up every chance they get - so, my thinking is he just figured that an obvious, self-evident answer (the World Cut is all soccer; the Olympic Games are different) to local press outside City Hall couldn't possibly be controversial. I'm certain Pat Ryan and the USOC's briefed him throughout the whole plane ride about what needs to happen over the next few days.

CHItown '16

Daley can keep it under control pretty well, though - especially when discussing plans and when it's a project that matters to him. When he doesn't give a straightforward answer to the Chicago press, they'll be asking him the same question for the next month and bringing it up every chance they get - so, my thinking is he just figured that an obvious, self-evident answer (the World Cut is all soccer; the Olympic Games are different) to local press outside City Hall couldn't possibly be controversial. I'm certain Pat Ryan and the USOC's briefed him throughout the whole plane ride about what needs to happen over the next few days.

Well, never has a bid city AND the current occupant of the White House been from the same city that I believe it's all a well-oiled machine now.

Chicago's comments about the world cup being completely different weren't worth complaining over (if, indeed, a complaint was actually made)

Saying outright that one bid is the "worst" is absolutely cause for complaining to the ethics commission and I completely side with Rio this time.

That kind of comment is exactly what London 2012 did in 2005 when it dissed the Stade de France days before the vote.....

I'm really sorry to say that the original article in Spanish says NOTHING AT ALL of the mayor being less confident. Actually, he is more confident.

Cinderella, as usual, you are correct...

Yo he leído todos los artículos relacionados a la candidatura en ABC, El País y El Mundo desde que el equipo se desplazó a Copenhague el domingo: en ningún momento he leído que Alberto Ruiz Gallardón se haya pronunciado en clave de desánimo, y mucho menos, derrota. Me imagino, con todo el aspaviento en torno a Rio y Chicago, que se le hace difícil mantenerse esperanzado, pero todo lo que he visto es tesón y empeño, a toda costa. ¿Es esto una mala traducción (traduttore, tradittore), o una mal intencionada equivocación? A estas alturas, todo es posible...

Lo que más suena a resignación es su respuesta a una pregunta en la última entrevista que le hizo El País: ha dicho que Madrid no pierde aunque no gane. Quiere decir que el proyecto ha ayudado a aunar esfuerzos, cohesionar el público español y que dejará un importante legado en las sedes que ya se han proyectado y se construirán. El periodista comenta que suena como si estuviera "preparando el terreno" para una derrota. Gallardón responde, rotundo, sólo que Madrid no pierde aunque no gane.

El que es cristiano entiende esa paradoja.

¡Suerte y ánimo!

"Worst bid" (IOC evaluation disagrees) won, and the madrileños can not accept that...

They are still complaining, making conspirations theorys...

In sports, the olympic spirit say we need to know how to be a good loser...

Rio did have the worst technical bid. So what?

Worst does not mean "BAD" or "POOR" or "BELOW REQUIREMENTS".

It just means that with the amazing transport in cities like Tokyo, Chicago, Madrid, and their accommodation capacity, infrastructure etc. and their compact plans, MANY cities would have the "worst" bid when compared to those cities.

Rio did have the worst technical bid. So what?

Worst does not mean "BAD" or "POOR" or "BELOW REQUIREMENTS".

It just means that with the amazing transport in cities like Tokyo, Chicago, Madrid, and their accommodation capacity, infrastructure etc. and their compact plans, MANY cities would have the "worst" bid when compared to those cities.

The only thing Rio had was being in the right place at the right moment. If Rio was in Europe, it would have been absolutely out of race (in fact, I think it would have never gone to the final race).

Anyway, congrats to the city. I really hope this helps it and its people.

But... I think they will put the garbage under the carpet though, it's gonna be Beijin V2...

IF Rio wanted, Rio could make the most compact games in the history by putting everything together in Barra-Olympic park.

Why not Rio did this? To show Copacabana Beaches, Flamengo Park... Images show on TV.

The price for showing the city and to make the broadcasters happy is sending Beach Volleyball games to one of the most famous beaches in the world, ceremonies for one of the most known stadiums in the world... and go on...

About this compact thing... To 2012 race Rio was the most compact plan (and the plan was almost the same of 2016) and Rio was cutted in the first round.

IOC seems to not care about it... IOC wants show...

Mo Rush, and let's cheer this wave of best tehcnical bid won't be the tune for 2020 or Cape Town (the city I'm already supporting) will be cutted out in the race, since South Africa transportation, infra-structure compared to Europe (I AM NOT COMPARING TO RIO!) is also a problem for the bid...

The only thing Rio had was being in the right place at the right moment. If Rio was in Europe, it would have been absolutely out of race (in fact, I think it would have never gone to the final race).

Interesting point. Given that they were ranked 5th in the initial reports but promoted ahead of Doha you mightn't be far off the mark, I don't know. I think if a North American or European city put forward this bid they'd have stuggled in the final vote.

But, as they say, if my Auntie had bollocks, she'd be my Uncle. This sort of speculation is pointless. Part of the huge appeal of Rio was because it is in South America. End of.

How long will discussions like these go on?

For as long as we want 'em to.That's why this forum is called GamesBIDS.com! :rolleyes:

Endless bitching about who got what,where and why is 90% of the fun of being on here.Well,it is for me anyway!! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My final comment about Madrid's 2016 bid: the Evaluation Report was right. Madrid didn't seem to fully understand the 21st century Olympic concept, i.e., that they ROTATE and share these things around the globe now. They are not going to happen consecutively in one continent when we are now a global village and that while the 2016 bid was probably fundamentally sound and solid, it IGNORED the most basic tenet of awarding and hosting the Olympic Games: that they are meant to go around. Just relying on a blind, die-hard bloc of votes is NOT going to be enough to make it happen. The Spaniards were just being..to use a pun, bull-headed about their bid. And for that sheer obstinacy, they paid a price.

As Spanish-American philosopher George Santayana once said: unless you learn from the lessons of history, you are bound to repeat its mistakes. Funny that the Spaniards themselves did not heed their fellow Hispanic's words.

A little sour grapes eh ?

No. It's just an analysis of a spoiler bid which really was NOT its time..and screwed up 2 other more viable bids. I mean the Spaniards were just over-reaching a little. Unless you study your motives and your actions and where you could possibly fit in, you will get a disconnect....as they did.

Archived