Completed Venues

This is a thread for Olympic venues whose construction or renovation has already been completed. The Shunyi Olympic Rowing-Canoeing Park, the Reijing Shooting Range Hall, the Fengtai Softball Field, and the Workers Stadium have completed their construction work for the Games. I will be notified when any other competition venues have completed their construction or renovation work. This thread will last until the very last competition venue has been completed (or until August 8, 2008).

If I may add something: According to what I read in the "Sports and Venues" section at the Beijing 2008 website, the Laoshan BMX Venue, the Olympic Green Hockey Field, the Wukesong Baseball Field, the Hong Kong Equestrian Venues and the Shenyand Olympic Sports Centre Stadium are also completed.

Maybe it's the best to make a list of all venues and add a note in that list whenever another venue is completed. I can make that list.

List of venues for the Beijing 2008 Games (in alphabetical order)

• Beijing Institute of Technology Gymnasium (Volleyball)
  • Beijing Shooting Range (Shooting) -- hall completed, clay target field under construction
  • Beijing University of Aeronautics & Astronautics Gymnasium (Weightlifting)
  • Beijing University of Science and Technology Gymnasium (Judo, Taekwondo)
  • Beijing University of Technology Gymnasium (Badminton, Rhythmic Gymnastics)
  • Capital Indoor Stadium (Volleyball)
  • Chaoyang Park Beach Volleyball Ground (Beach Volleyball)
  • China Agricultural University Gymnasium (Wrestling)
  • Fengtai Softball Field (Softball) -- completed
  • Hong Kong Equestrian Venues (Equestrian) -- completed
  • Laoshan Bicycyle Moto Cross (BMX) Venue (BMX) -- completed
  • Laoshan Mountain Bike Course (Mountain Bike)
  • Laoshan Velodrome (Cycling - Track)
  • National Aquatics Centre (Diving, Swimming, Synchronised Swimming, Water Polo)
  • National Indoor Stadium (Artistic Gymnastics, Handball, Trampoline)
  • National Stadium (Athletics, Ceremonies, Football)
  • Olympic Green Archery Field (Archery)
  • Olympic Green Fencing Hall (Fencing, Modern Pentathlon)
  • Olympic Green Hockey Field (Hockey) -- completed
  • Olympic Green Tennis Centre (Tennis)
  • Olympic Sports Centre Gymnasium (Handball)
  • Olympic Sports Centre Stadium (Football, Modern Pentathlon)
  • Peking University Gymnasium (Table Tennis)
  • Qingdao International Marina (Sailing)
  • Qinhuangdao Olympic Sports Centre Stadium (Football) -- completed
  • Shanghai Stadium (Football)
  • Shenyang Olympic Sports Centre Stadium (Football) -- completed
  • Shunyi Olympic Rowing-Canoeing Park (Canoe/Kayak - Flatwater Racing, Canoe Kayak - Slalom, Open Water Swimming, Rowing) -- completed
  • Tianjin Olympic Centre Stadium (Football)
  • Triathlon Venue [Ming Tomb Reservoir] (Triathlon)
  • Urban Road Cycling Course (Cycling - Road)
  • Workers' Indoor Arena (Boxing)
  • Workers' Stadium (Football) -- completed
  • Wukesong Baseball Field (Baseball) -- completed
  • Wukesong Indoor Stadium (Basketball)
  • Ying Tung Natatorium (Modern Pentathlon, Water Polo)

Just a comment here: The Beijing 2008 website just SUCKS when it comes to photos of venues. The venues are beautiful and deserve much more photo coverageon the Beijing 2008 site. They currently use old, small graphics, mostly concept drawing and not even real photos. Beijing 2008 website... get it together.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Just a comment here: The Beijing 2008 website just SUCKS when it comes to photos of venues. The venues are beautiful and deserve much more photo coverageon the Beijing 2008 site. They currently use old, small graphics, mostly concept drawing and not even real photos. Beijing 2008 website... get it together.

Since Beijing 2008 got a new website, it does not suck anymore. Now we can get updates on the venues and most of those venues should be completed by now. The Bird's Nest Stadium is to be completed in 2 months.

About Shanghai stadium , it was completed more than 10 years ago in 1997 when Shanghai hosted the East Asian Games.

Yes, but wasn't it slightly refurbished for the Olympic Games? I only wanted to list those venues as "completed" which are fully in "Olympic shape".

Beijing expat here, also an architect so I have a bit of an interest in this topic. As of January 1, most of the newly-constructed and renovated Beijing venues are completed and have already run or are running test events (primarily the "Good Luck Beijing" series, which began last August). The National Stadium/Birds Nest is in the home stretch and will host its first competition in mid-April. The National Aquatics Ctr/Water Cube will host a swim meet in just over 3 weeks, with diving later in February. The Workers Stadium renovation (Football venue) is still going but shouldn't be much longer. Wukesong Indoor Stadium (basketball) has not opened but they are finishing up interior work and equipment--it will host a competition in April. Other venues are complete. There is still LOTS of exterior landscaping to be done at nearly all of the new venues, but this can't really take off until later in March due to weather. Expect a literal army of workers to be planting, installing, painting all manner of greenery between March and July!

It's a bit of a shame that the swimming competetion will take place in the morning, as the Water Cube really looks it's best at night, when lit up. If anything, it's underwhelming in the daylight, I think.

But anyways, that interior is really nice. Here's more:

u397p6t12d3408916f44dt2ab7.jpg

u397p6t12d3402964f44dt2vb6.jpg

u397p6t12d3408597f44dt2nn4.jpg

It's a bit of a shame that the swimming competetion will take place in the morning, as the Water Cube really looks it's best at night, when lit up. If anything, it's underwhelming in the daylight, I think.

But at least the heats will take place in the evening. And there'll also be some diving finals taking place in the evening.

Shaping up to be really nice! :)

Now, where are the interior photos to the Wukesong Indoor Stadium?

For some reason, Wukesong Indoor Stadium is now called "Beijing Olympic Basketball Gymnasium". Which is, in my opinion, a pretty stupid choice since it's clearly not a unique, distinctive name.

However, here are a few interior photos from the official website:

Img214230731.jpg

Img214230732.jpg

Img214230733.jpg

And by the way: Here's a picture of the unveiling of the seats at National Stadium:

Img214230514.jpg

I wonder whether the few white seats in that "sea of red" create some sort of pattern.

Img214229776.jpg

Img214229777.jpg

What's so special about Water Cube (what a dumb name, too!)? I mean it's same straight lines/rectangular layout that you have in any similar swim/diving venue. :rolleyes: So, it's got this fake honeycombed-pattern, translucent skin (which would drive me crazy if I were inside). So what? :rolleyes: I mean if they threw in some red Chinese lanterns, I think it would be prettier. Except for the material, they didn't exactly break any architectural records for this... (unlike Birds Nest and that Egg thing of theirs). Overall, I think Seoul had a more beautiful, cohesive set of Olympic installations. Beijing's are all over the place.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I hope they don't go crazy with the red when they put in the Image and Look of the Games in the Water Cube, like they'll probably do for sure with the Bird's Nest. Everything (the architectural patter , water, seats) would look so much more cohesive and better in there with a blue look.

I hope they don't go crazy with the red when they put in the Image and Look of the Games in the Water Cube, like they'll probably do for sure with the Bird's Nest. Everything (the architectural patter , water, seats) would look so much more cohesive and better in there with a blue look.

Talking about that, a pic i got from Durban Sandshark from the Beijing 2008 official videogame.

944509_20080111_screen002.jpg

I know, probably it will not look the same, but just to make yourselfs an idea.

seouls' chamsil complex is pretty forgettable. although for the time they were cutting edge especially the gymnastics arena. the satdium also remains elegant but again - forgettable.

i like the watercube. i like the bird's nest. modern classics in the making.

I really like what you said about those two Beijing facilities, blueview. Like the tubes at the diving platforms. BTW, it must be noted that screenshot from Beijing 2008 video game of the Water Cube is, yes, a work in progress, so I don't think we will actually see light reflections onto the pool. Perhaps the programmers will realize this; because it will get obscured and dulled by the walls behind the diving platforms and of the roof.

As for the Wukesong Indoor Stadium, or that generic name that I will not mention it by for its lack of originality among other things, it reminds me of the Chicago United Center on the inside. And it's not just the red seats. So it's not unlike any contemporary sports arena built or being built worldwide.

The Water Cube will have its first competition--swimming--beginning January 31. They are running the events similarly to the Olympic schedule: heats/prelim sessions at 6:30 pm and finals at 10:00 a.m. I'm getting tickets to the Jan 31 evening and Feb 1 morning, to see the facility as much as to see the swimming. I'll try to report my general impressions back to the forum as soon as possible afterwards.