Valencia 2007

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boy, I bet Valencia breathed a sigh of relief when Alinghi won.

At least all their investment wouldn't have been a 1-time thing; 2 tries won't look as bad.

yes,is a happy day in Valencia

I hope the best for you ;)

:rolleyes: WHAT A GREAT AMERICA'S CUP THIS HAS BEEN!!!

:lol: CONGRATS TO ALINGHI (and Team New Zealand) FOR A WONDERFUL SERIES...AND VALENCIA FOR BEING A GREAT HOST! :lol:

And you get to do it all again with Spain as the challenger of record for 2010!.

:angry: As for all those ex pat Kiwi fans that booed Alinghi into the habour...DON'T come home! :angry: You're not a worthy advertisment for the country.

Congratulations to Switzerland for winning and New Zealand for being a fantastic competitor.

We'll see if our government tempts the Swiss in order to keep the America's Cup here!

I think, they will chose a different city next time.

I hope so. Valencia did great hosting it but I'd prefer a different city/country for the next edition.. They should seriously take in consideration the italian side as we are the most rapresentative country with 3 challengers (and a 4th to coming soon) and the AC here is much more attended than everywhere else in europe.

I've heard rumors about a bid launched by the city of Trapani (Sicily) which hosted one of the Lv acts in 2006. Naples also shown interests in bidding (the city just came second behind Valencia for the 2007 candidacy).

btw Bertarelli didn't seem oriented to nowhere else than Spain till just some weeks ago.. We'll see.

Anyway congrats to Alinghi for the victory and to Emirates for its great opposition!

The next America's Cup is in 2010, not 2009.

Alinghi (and the sponsors) rules there too! The next AC should be anticipated in 2009 in order to avoid the cuncurrence with the major sport events in the "busiest" 2010 (Vancouver and South Africa).

The next America's Cup is in 2010, not 2009.

I thought so. For the most past, it is one of the few triennal-year events -- held every 3rd year -- or I think if there is a challenger and the holder agrees to a challenge, then the 3-year rule may be changed. Why would they pick a city other than valencia? I mean didn't Valencia spend like $150 million to give the Cup a beautiful harbor and state-of-the-art berths for entries? Surely, all of that could be used again in 2010.

:huh: Bertirallei has just enhanced the America's Cup even further by announcing the development of the 27meter IACC yacht, mainly to stimulate design technology which was to the fore in '92, '95 and 00.

The now obsolete 24meter IACC will be consigned to history.

Amazing how these yachts were so wide in the beam in 1992, ending up so narrow that they could barly contain the crew, let alone all it's gearing.

Roll on America's cup 33! Wether it be in 2009, or '11.

According to all reports its gonna be in 2010. Also according to reports its up the the club of the winner to determine the venue of hosting. So it is very possible that a new harbour is chosen. The only places I can't see hosting the final are Italy, USA, Australia, New Zealand and England all former winners or serious challangers. The south of France, Greece, Croatia and Spain are all possible locations.

According to all reports its gonna be in 2010. Also according to reports its up the the club of the winner to determine the venue of hosting. So it is very possible that a new harbour is chosen. The only places I can't see hosting the final are Italy, USA, Australia, New Zealand and England all former winners or serious challangers. The south of France, Greece, Croatia and Spain are all possible locations.

That's what I thought. It's one of the few, rare triennial events -- and of course, only multi, rather billionaires can take every 3rd year off to devote their energies to something as rarefied as yachting. I don't see the Swiss choosing another venue. Probably have/had some agreement with Valencia to restage the event there if the Swiss won again. And certainly Valencia proved lucky for them; so why change horses mid-stream? If I remember right, the Swiss had a hard enough time finding a willing venue.

Yeah, you're right, it's up to the defending club to determine the venue. I think Sicily has expressed an interest, but I can't see why they'd abandon Valencia.

Timing wise, I think it's pretty flexible. There's probably some complex rules in the charter, but the Kiwis, for example, managed to force a weird challenge out of nowhere when the cup was in San Diego (and then got caught out when the US put a catamaran up against them in some other weird counter-bending of the rules, only for the kiwis to challenge this in court and briefly "win" again till the next court challenge). Oh yeah, it's all fun and games when dealing with the Americas Cup Gift of Charter.

The Mayor of Marseille, Jean Claude-Gaudin, has visited Valencia these last days and it's rumoured that the French city will officially present its candidacy within the next week. So that would make Marseille* (FRA), Trapani (ITA) and Valencia* (ESP) the candidates for the moment.

*Marseille, Naples, Lisbon and Valencia were the finalists for the 32nd AC.

Me too.. anyway now that the 32nd edition is come to the end it's time to make a list of the possible joining chellengers of the 33rd AC :

starting from the Challenger of Records, Desafio Espanol.

Challengers from Emirates NZ, USA, China, France, Germany, Sweden and South Africa should be confirmed.

Luna Rossa and +39 confirmed. Mascalzone has to redefine new sponsorship details but likely to be confirmed.

Next possible entrances: Fucsia Challenger, the new italian team only composed by women, is nearly confirmed. New teams are supposed to be launched by England, India and Russia.

Michel Bonnefous, from AC Management, has stated that the enlargement plan for Valencia's port might influence (in a bad way) the decision of the '09 AC host city. Of course, the city council has rapidly answered back that it will do the best to postpone the works so they wouldn't interfere neither with the sailing competition nor the F1 racing that will take place in the very same area in 2008.

Valencia will also have to pay ACM a 120 million € canon? (=royalty) if it wants the 33rd edition to be held here!

:unsure: I'd say the venue will stay put. It's far more economial and the City Council is willing to hold back the port development in the mean time. I Think the fee is a bit to steep, but then it does help with the event.

At least there will be trails before the LV Cup proper to weed out the weaklings earlier, AND Alinghi will be able to be part of the challenger series. Something Team New Zealand thought of when it was already too late. However TNZ has agreed and does support this new format.

Still, very exicting though! :rolleyes:

:unsure: I'd say the venue will stay put. It's far more economial and the City Council is willing to hold back the port development in the mean time. I Think the fee is a bit to steep, but then it does help with the event.

At least there will be trails before the LV Cup proper to weed out the weaklings earlier, AND Alinghi will be able to be part of the challenger series. Something Team New Zealand thought of when it was already too late. However TNZ has agreed and does support this new format.

Still, very exicting though! :rolleyes:

yea it wil be very exciting. It seems as thought Team new Zealand are going to keep key personnel as well and sponsorship is falling into place... Dalton has done a great job and expect team new zealand to be even stronger next time around!

Archived