Valencia 2007

:unsure: It's still so early days yet, at least we have three races in a row this block untill the next lay day.

Will be up tonight when Telecom texts me to announce the ten minute to start gun has been fired.

One thing that has been mentioned is New Zealand having to get over the fact that our sailors pretty much own the event, if Team New Zealand wins - great, but Allinghi gets through, we as a country will have to face upto the fact that it's time to move on and embrace the Cup as a teamsport event.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:unsure: It's still so early days yet, at least we have three races in a row this block untill the next lay day.

Will be up tonight when Telecom texts me to announce the ten minute to start gun has been fired.

One thing that has been mentioned is New Zealand having to get over the fact that our sailors pretty much own the event, if Team New Zealand wins - great, but Allinghi gets through, we as a country will have to face upto the fact that it's time to move on and embrace the Cup as a teamsport event.

Yea its definately early days yet... great win though!! Yea New Zealand definately has the best sailors in the world.

:lol: OMG!!!!!!!!!! Team New Zealand by 25secs!!!! :lol:

WHAT A RACE!!!!

NOW THAT'S AMERICA'S CUP RACING!!!! :rolleyes:

Mind you the weather REALLY was the thrid team out there today. :huh:

:lol: OMG!!!!!!!!!! Team New Zealand by 25secs!!!! :lol:

WHAT A RACE!!!!

NOW THAT'S AMERICA'S CUP RACING!!!! :rolleyes:

Mind you the weather REALLY was the thrid team out there today. :huh:

bloody brilliant... definately worth staying up for... this is the best americas cup race i have ever watched... Bloody hard to watch though with so many lead changes but the kiwis got the change when it mattered and that was at the end!!

:lol: THIS AMERICA'S CUP IS JUST GETTING BETTER EVERY RACE!!!!! :lol:

Now it's 2 all and we are down to a best of five race match! :rolleyes:

Today it was Alinghi's turn with a 25sec winning margin after defending the start and having to cover hard all the way through!! Gosh the massage tables and gyms will be getting a workout today.

Well done to both teams! You've earned your day off! :lol:

The match has brought a new lustre to the 'Cup, the era of the last three five - nill matches IS well and truly over. Both Alinghi and Team New Zealand have done the America's Cup a service! ;)

:lol: THIS AMERICA'S CUP IS JUST GETTING BETTER EVERY RACE!!!!! :lol:

Now it's 2 all and we are down to a best of five race match! :rolleyes:

Today it was Alinghi's turn with a 25sec winning margin after defending the start and having to cover hard all the way through!! Gosh the massage tables and gyms will be getting a workout today.

Well done to both teams! You've earned your day off! :lol:

The match has brought a new lustre to the 'Cup, the era of the last three five - nill matches IS well and truly over. Both Alinghi and Team New Zealand have done the America's Cup a service! ;)

yea it is fantastic racing... Ill be interested to see the outcome of the protest hearing tonight...

The match referee must have noted something unusual about the way Alinghi's mainsail was attached. The giveaway was when he called for both teams to drop their mainsails without the assistance of a man up the mast...Something that erked ETNZ and they do have the right to protest.

Personally it's all part of the mindgames in such a high octane event. I can remember the LV finals in 1992 when Paul Cayard helmed el Morro de Venenica managed to get a race taken off NZ Challenge NZL20 because of it's unique way it used it's Bowsprit...It rattled the Kiwis and what was a 4 - 1 lead soon ended up a 3-5 loss. :blink:

The match referee must have noted something unusual about the way Alinghi's mainsail was attached. The giveaway was when he called for both teams to drop their mainsails without the assistance of a man up the mast...Something that erked ETNZ and they do have the right to protest.

Personally it's all part of the mindgames in such a high octane event. I can remember the LV finals in 1992 when Paul Cayard helmed el Morro de Venenica managed to get a race taken off NZ Challenge NZL20 because of it's unique way it used it's Bowsprit...It rattled the Kiwis and what was a 4 - 1 lead soon ended up a 3-5 loss. :blink:

yea thats right... mindgames are central to the americas cup! Will be interesting to see what happens tonight with the protest...

..in 1992 when Paul Cayard helmed el Morro de Venenica..

Gosh Alexjc, it's the umpteenth time you get wrong with a name here! It was called Il Moro di Venezia and it was italian not spanish! :huh::D

a very important race tonight with the winner of the race moving 3-2 ahead. The wind today looks to favour alinghi so look to them to have a speed advantage. Good luck team new zealand lets make it 3-2

:blink: Alinghi go 3 - 2 up, and I'll bet they cannot believe their luck!!!

TNZ won the start and looked to control the race....BUT!

They Blew it, litterally, when a torn spinniker and then a tangle hoisting the second, all came undone!

Alinghi sailed past them, just as stunned as the Kiwis :unsure:

Still only 19 seconds was the winning margin as TNZ desperatly fought back...

Round six tonight! :lol:

Gosh Alexjc, it's the umpteenth time you get wrong with a name here! It was called Il Moro di Venezia and it was italian not spanish! :huh::D
;) Yeah have to admit I should've consulted one of my many AC books for correct spelling! Anyways I think most of the time you get what I'm saying.

And definitly Il Moro was Italian!!! That's why, although we adore the Prada Challenge syndicate, NZ takes great pleasure when Italy gets knocked out of the AC everytime. (The NZ Challenge and Il Moro di Venezia rivalry REALLY did get ugly...unlike TNZ v Alinghi which is just silly banter!)

:blink: Alinghi go 3 - 2 up, and I'll bet they cannot believe their luck!!!

TNZ won the start and looked to control the race....BUT!

They Blew it, litterally, when a torn spinniker and then a tangle hoisting the second, all came undone!

Alinghi sailed past them, just as stunned as the Kiwis :unsure:

Still only 19 seconds was the winning margin as TNZ desperatly fought back...

Round six tonight! :lol:

bloody unlucky for team new zealand... But all is not lost... Alinghi dont really have a speed edge which is great news... Also new zealand fought back brilliantly to close the game right up and 19 seconds is not a lot considering the disaster that occurred on team new zealand... Good Luck for tonight 3-3

:rolleyes: Alinghi goes to Match Point! 4 - 2 by 28secs.

They only need to win tomorrow to retain the America's Cup!

The breeze very much suited to Alinghi, what a great America's Cup! :lol:

New Zealand will now have the psycologial disadvantage of HAVING to win all three races left on offer.

It will be VERY difficult to acheive. :huh:

:rolleyes: Alinghi goes to Match Point! 4 - 2 by 28secs.

They only need to win tomorrow to retain the America's Cup!

The breeze very much suited to Alinghi, what a great America's Cup! :lol:

New Zealand will now have the psycologial disadvantage of HAVING to win all three races left on offer.

It will be VERY difficult to acheive. :huh:

so close yet so far.... Heartbreaking

<_< Yes shades of 1992 all over again! However I'm not to miffed by the result, at least it wasn't a thumping, AND the profile of the America's Cup has been boosted beyond expectations.

Whoever wins this event can count on losing it in 2010...Oracle is about to send Russel Coutts out with a cheque book and he's heading Alinghi's way!!! :P What goes 'round comes 'round :P

<_< Yes shades of 1992 all over again! However I'm not to miffed by the result, at least it wasn't a thumping, AND the profile of the America's Cup has been boosted beyond expectations.

Whoever wins this event can count on losing it in 2010...Oracle is about to send Russel Coutts out with a cheque book and he's heading Alinghi's way!!! :P What goes 'round comes 'round :P

i can see new zealand come out firing in tonights race and expect team new zealand to give everything they have got. I think it will be 4-3 by the end of the night! Good luck team new zealand

:rolleyes: Light winds have posponed race seven. team NZ gets a two day breather as today is an official lay-day.

It's now plainly obvious that Alinghi is VERY quick upwind and can hold it's lead if conditions suit SUI 100. Team NZ will have to think smart and constantly cover if they wish to keep this spectacular event alive! :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Light winds have posponed race seven. team NZ gets a two day breather as today is an official lay-day.

It's now plainly obvious that Alinghi is VERY quick upwind and can hold it's lead if conditions suit SUI 100. Team NZ will have to think smart and constantly cover if they wish to keep this spectacular event alive! :rolleyes:

i agree dean barkers needs the start of his life tonight.... and then its cover, cover, cover!!!! Come on new zealand 4-3!!

Archived