Beijing Olympic Torch Relay

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm watching CNN and the webcast on the Beijing 2008 website simultaneously -- and on CNN, one could see that the speech of BOCOG president Liu Qi was interrupted by a protester who was detained by security personnel. The BOCOG webcast (provided by the international channel of Chinese TV, CCTV-9), however, didn't show the incident and cut to pictures of the parabolic mirror, the temple of Hera and so on -- and they showed Qi's speech only when it was well underway and the protester had been led away. And the Chinese reproach us with bias and censorship???

However, I'm surprised that the protester was able to enter the ancient Olympic Stadium -- I thought that security was especially tense this time, due to the situation in Tibet?

I'm watching CNN and the webcast on the Beijing 2008 website simultaneously -- and on CNN, one could see that the speech of BOCOG president Liu Qi was interrupted by a protester who was detained by security personnel. The BOCOG webcast (provided by the international channel of Chinese TV, CCTV-9), however, didn't show the incident and cut to pictures of the parabolic mirror, the temple of Hera and so on -- and they showed Qi's speech only when it was well underway and the protester had been led away. And the Chinese reproach us with bias and censorship???

At least the IOC broadcast did show the incident...

Is it tradition to have a child of nuetral gender in the ceremony or is that a new thing this year?

Seriously, is that a boy a girl?

Come off it Baron, the child is a boy, quite clearly enough for my eyes!

The protest was certainly not unexpected. Its interesting how Eurosport was about 6'30 behind in its broadcast (which stared at 09:20 GMT) and then by the time the speeches were over and the actual ceremony began, it was about 30 seconds in front!

Come off it Baron, the child is a boy, quite clearly enough for my eyes!

The protest was certainly not unexpected. Its interesting how Eurosport was about 6'30 behind in its broadcast (which stared at 09:20 GMT) and then by the time the speeches were over and the actual ceremony began, it was about 30 seconds in front!

But he was wearing a skirt!

I'm not Baron by the way, I'm the Devil, if you hadn't noticed. Others call me Satan, some Lucifer.

What can it do? They can't possibly expect security along 85,000 miles. If they couldn't keep the lighting ceremony free of protests they haven't a hope. They'll just have to sit tight.

Erm, thats an exageration, since they wouldn't have a need to cover the entire 85,000 from now to the Games in August, only the route on the day... which is just a few hundred...

CNN what a discrease of the Ceremony, of Ancient Olympia and the Olympic Idea your broadcasting was. Shame!! "Well this outdoor event,... well, ehmm, it is quite,.. not the spectacle we expected..." and then they interrupt the Ceremony for advertising without continuing broadcasting!!!! An unbelievable discrease...

Great covering by EUROSPORT!

So the first runner started and the run beginn. Lets hope something of this message of freedom and peace will reach Beijing

Just watched it without cuts in CCTV 4. Nice ceremony, altought i was a little scared since the flame took long time to be ignited at the mirror. No protests for now, i guess because of the high security device by the greeks.