Brisbane 2032 Venues/Stadiums Thread

Victorian

15 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Another proposal

A mini Olympic Park at Victoria Park ... claimed to cost less than the Gabba/Brisbane Live combo

https://archipelago-interactive.com.au/

I see from the Brisbane subforum on skyscraprcity that this isn't a new Olympic Park, but building venues on an existing inner-city park. In that thread these images are going down like a warm bucket of sick.

Edited by Rob2012
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rob2012 said:

I see from the Brisbane subforum on skyscraprcity that this isn't a new Olympic Park, but building venues on an existing inner-city park. In that thread these images are going down like a warm bucket of sick.

I don’t know Brisbane that well, and didn’t know about the park till I looked it up. But I did come across this pic from it, so maybe it’s an omen:

spacer.png

But seriously, probably not an option to wipe out an entire large inner city parklands for an Olympic precinct. I did see that the plan also includes the Olympic Village moving there - surely that wouldn’t be necessary, and maybe, just maybe, it could work without that.

I also don't get how those plans could possibly be cheaper? Seems a non-starter. I'm not sure the Ilanaaq-alike would have enough power to make this happen.

Edited by Rob2012
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rob2012 said:

I also don't get how those plans could possibly be cheaper? Seems a non-starter. I'm not sure the Ilanaaq-alike would have enough power to make this happen.

I don't see how it would be cheaper. It will involve decking the ICB Freeway. 

That said, if it did get it up it would be beautiful, and having access to the ICB would be a positive in terms of Games movements as it directly links into Brisbane's myriad of underground freeways.

8 hours ago, Rob2012 said:

Exactly, I agree, it wouldn’t be cheaper.

Victoria Park will remain the inner city green garden belt area that it is is and also venue for equestrian cross country in 2032.

Lots of baseless pie in the sky theories and shopping-list opinions from politicians flying around at the moment about a nonsensical third stadium, which Brisbane does not need.

Even if funding was sourced for an unnecessary third Brisbane stadium, the Greens political party reps in the City of Brisbane and state parliament would be vehemently against the destruction of Victoria Park in favour of a stadium and carpark.

Let’s wait for the Review to conclude and make recommendations and which, if any,  of these recommendations that the Queensland/Australian governments and the main opposition parties (alternative government) would support and have funding to put into action.

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

Even if funding was sourced for an unnecessary third Brisbane stadium, the Greens political party reps in the City of Brisbane and state parliament would be vehemently against the destruction of Victoria Park in favour of a stadium and carpark.

You make a good point, even if the funds could be found to execute this Victoria Park idea, the Greens (and probably others) would admonish it for taking away the chance to develop it as currently intended as Barrambin. 

Brisbane sorely lacks the great parks that characterise central Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth - it would be a shame for them to lose that.

15 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

You make a good point, even if the funds could be found to execute this Victoria Park idea, the Greens (and probably others) would admonish it for taking away the chance to develop it as currently intended as Barrambin. 

Brisbane sorely lacks the great parks that characterise central Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth - it would be a shame for them to lose that.

Exactly.

If New York was hosting the Olympics, imagine the uproar if they decided to wipe out most of Central Park for the Games.

I'm not a Brisbanite obviously, but this feels like a very succinct summary to me:

"Building another oval at Victoria Park takes away what Brisbane already lacks in (inner city parkland) and leaves us with something we don’t need (a second oval stadium). Absolutely ridiculous idea, I’d rather Brisbane lose the Olympics then see large swathes of inner city parkland built over. It’s the worst possible legacy to steal away parkland from future generations just because some fuckwit politicians can’t handle an upgrade of a stadium."

(post stolen from EnolaGray on SSC)

Edited by Rob2012

I don't know but I'd surely assume that any completely new Olympic stadium anywhere in Brisbane would trigger the demolition of the current Gabba, they wouldn't leave two stadiums up... would they?

5 hours ago, Rob2012 said:

I'm not a Brisbanite obviously, 

Apparently it's BrisbaneR. Like Londoner or New Yorker. 

5 hours ago, Rob2012 said:

but this feels like a very succinct summary to me:

"Building another oval at Victoria Park takes away what Brisbane already lacks in (inner city parkland) and leaves us with something we don’t need (a second oval stadium). Absolutely ridiculous idea, I’d rather Brisbane lose the Olympics then see large swathes of inner city parkland built over. It’s the worst possible legacy to steal away parkland from future generations just because some fuckwit politicians can’t handle an upgrade of a stadium."

(post stolen from EnolaGray on SSC)

It does seem like the antithesis of a "Green Olympics", doesn't it. Reminds of when Beijing went on to paint the grass green over there for the IOC EV team, back in 2001 for 2008, so the city didn't look as dull & grey. Bit it was February, though. lol

6 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Seems like this is the plan with legs - it doesn't look like Brisbane is full of green space though so what replaces the park? Put a park where the Gabba was when it's demolished?

The Gabba is a hemmed in stadium. It'd be a very small park.

10 hours ago, yoshi said:

Seems like this is the plan with legs - it doesn't look like Brisbane is full of green space though so what replaces the park? Put a park where the Gabba was when it's demolished?

Like Rob, I’m pinching some assets from SSC (credit NathanDavid88). These seem like proposals that could work to use Victoria Park while retaining a large green belt.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Apparently, the area where the stadium sits in the top one is now mostly a big asphalt car park, so even further green space saved.  And close to Exhibition Centre staton.

I could certainly get behind something like this. Adding any more to it - Brisbane Live etyc, much less the Olympic Village, would certainly be a total no-go. 

Does that mean the Brisbane Live or even the village could go on the site of a demolished Gabba if they get enough of a move on? How big would a Victoria Park stadium be, would you get a proper capacity increase for the money there? As I've said before I get the legacy argument on 50k but if Brisbane really is gonna be up with Sydney and Melbourne then its AFL and cricket teams will be able to handle a stadium as big as Perth's at least... and should be able to make full use of it. 

18 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Does that mean the Brisbane Live or even the village could go on the site of a demolished Gabba if they get enough of a move on? How big would a Victoria Park stadium be, would you get a proper capacity increase for the money there? As I've said before I get the legacy argument on 50k but if Brisbane really is gonna be up with Sydney and Melbourne then its AFL and cricket teams will be able to handle a stadium as big as Perth's at least... and should be able to make full use of it. 

Village sure wouldn’t fit. You’d need an entire suburb. I’ve seen the suggestion to move Brisbane Live to the Gabba site. And a few other sites as well.

But I’d doubt it. What would make this attractive to the AFL and Australian Cricket Board is it leaves the Gabba free for them to use all through to the games, and it would be available to host cricket at the games. A lot of their objection to the Gabba rebuild is they didn’t like the alternatives offered during the rebuild time. 

37 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

But I’d doubt it. What would make this attractive to the AFL and Australian Cricket Board is it leaves the Gabba free for them to use all through to the games, and it would be available to host cricket at the games. A lot of their objection to the Gabba rebuild is they didn’t like the alternatives offered during the rebuild time. 

If dates weren't an issue - this would have been exactly the reason why Melbourne would have had a very hard time with a second Olympics. The AFL wouldn't tolerate large occupations that take their venues out of action. 2006 Commonwealth Games only worked because it was held in March. 

2 minutes ago, yoshi said:

So the Gabba would only be demolished after the Olympics in this plan? Might they even leave it up in some form for minor cricket like how Perth kept the WACA?

Who knows? It’s all just conjecture at this point.

• 2 weeks later...