Brisbane 2032

2 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Brisbane’s Mayor, Adrian Schrinner, has resigned from the 2032 Olympics organising forum over a variety of organisational issues, at which increasing costs (and the Gabba rebuild) is central. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/dec/03/brisbane-mayor-resigns-from-2032-olympics-forum-calls-it-a-dysfunctional-farce

interesting to see too that the AFL doesn’t appear to be fully engaged despite being the Gabba’s primary tenant? This was always a major issue for Melbourne so makes sense it would be a problem for Brisbane too (albeit at a smaller scale than the MCG)

We are gradually seeing all political groups within the City of Brisbane (left to right) release policies that are critical of the Olympics, and more questioning its legacy. 

these are the matters the old bid process would have ironed out prior to the awarding of the Games. 

Nothing to see here.

Move along. And in the meantime look at this lovely photo of Brisbane

spacer.png

Kangaroo Point Bridge Bridge Construction Milestone

Destined to carry hordes of pedestrians, spectators, tourists and cyclists leading up to 2032 and beyond, the Kangaroo Point Bridge has reached the half-way milestone.

With more and more major events coming to Brisbane, including the Olympic and Paralympic Games, the Kangaroo Point Green Bridge will become a destination for tourists and a key link for people travelling to the CBD and the Gabba Stadium.”

The 460-metre Kangaroo Point Green Bridge will be one of the longest cable-stayed bridges for pedestrians and cyclists in the world.”

“More than 6000 pedestrians, cyclists and e-mobility riders are expected to use the bridge daily by 2036, reducing car trips across the river by up to 84,000 each year.”

“The bridge is anticipated to be completed in 2024.”

71R1ov3.jpg

Source:  Kangaroo Point bridge halfway finished

You can see the anger growing now from both sides of the political spectrum

QLD ALP powerbroker Cameron Milner the latest (and most significant) figure to call for Brisbane 2032 to be dumped

I'm now expecting the LNP to go into the next state election promising a state referendum on holding the games in the first half of 2025

On 12/2/2023 at 11:15 PM, Australian Kiwi said:

these are the matters the old bid process would have ironed out prior to the awarding of the Games. 

The new bid process really can't help in this regard, but the old one wasn't a panacea against these kind of things, even though I'd agree it was more robust in terms of making cities get their plans into shape. The long lead time is something I mentioned before in making this kind of mess possible too, though I believe Australiafan dismissed this when I suggested it.

It's also about incentives - there's no incentive not to play politics now, whereas if you're competing against 2 or 3 other cities, the focus, the enemy, is them - not whoever is across the political isle.

Outside of the bid process though. it does also feel like Brisbane has a large number of layers of government who all want to push things in different directions. A mayor and a national government, but also a state government in between. And with fairly even amounts of power from what I can gather. It doesn't seem like a recipe for a happy build up.

Ultimately, this looks like a row over money and these things tend to get resolved with some grumbling the end result. That's my guess as to how this ends rather than any worst case scenario. But the Mayor quitting and calling things a "dysfunctional farce" is...some way from being ideal. :lol::o

2 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

What a load of unfounded right-wing political nonsense and conspiracy theories from bollock and lollick @StefanMUC @Gonzo

Says the man with the Q avatar! :lol:

Sorry, I did mean to bring this up before, but they can't go to the world with THAT, surely?! I thought it was something you'd come up with yourself, but looking back it seems semi-official. It's unfortunate for them and not their fault, but I think cities/regions that start with Z and Q need to look beyond their initial when marketing themselves to the world.

Edited by Rob2012
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Rob2012 said:

I find it more absurd that him critisising me for stating the obvious (without assessment of how likely that scenario would be) gets five likes (at this point in time).

There can be no question that if it happened it would be an absolute nightmare for the IOC. Is there a chance it will happen? No idea, but daydreaming and living in new norm fantasy land won’t mitigate any risks for sure.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Rob2012 said:

Sorry, I did mean to bring this up before, but they can't go to the world with THAT, surely?! I thought it was something you'd come up with yourself, but looking back it seems semi-official. It's unfortunate for them and not their fault, but I think cities/regions that start with Z and Q need to look beyond their initial when marketing themselves to the world.

If only there were some logo designers on this board who could save Nice (& also Dublin, hypothetically) from similar embarrassment

I must say I was sure Brisbane wouldn't go the way of Victoria but I'm now a little less sure with this news about the mayor and the rejection of the chance to use the Commonwealth Games as a test... hopefully they sort it out. I still think they're only now realising what they've taken on, and that this kind of discussion used to happen before even getting to the vote, or deciding whether to proceed at all. That kind of refinement and clear comparison with other candidates was the biggest advantage of the old bid process. 

2 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

I find it more absurd that him critisising me for stating the obvious (without assessment of how likely that scenario would be) gets five likes (at this point in time).

That’s because.. 

spacer.png

& those likes were there almost immediately. Pretty pathetic when someone has to stoop to those kind of desperate levels, isn’t it. Especially when it’s starting to become a pattern whenever you-know-who has strong disagreements with someone else.

4 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

There can be no question that if it happened it would be an absolute nightmare for the IOC. Is there a chance it will happen? No idea, but daydreaming and living in new norm fantasy land won’t mitigate any risks for sure.

@StefanMUC  what you have failed to realise is that there is a coming Queensland State Election and lots of huff and bluff happening from politicians which happens every election cycle.  So please don’t be so gullible and hysterical.

This huff and bluff is par for the course at Australian elections.   The Brisbane Lord Mayor is from the opposition LNP parties and is angling for a role in State politics in the lead-up to the biggest party in town.  He is pretty ineffective at the local government level, thus he resigned from the Olympics leadership group.  The Queensland Government is the Australian Labor Party.     

Classis opposition conservative parties versus an incumbent labor government,  LNP versus Labor, a tradition originating from the UK.  With the state opposition supporting the Brisbane 2032 Games along with the incumbent Labor Government, The left-leaning Greens Party have no chance of winning government, never have, never will.

So, what you’re writing is absolute baseless garbage, stuff made of fantasies, no offence intended.

Woth bi-partisan support from the incumbent govt and LNP opposition, there is no risk to the Brisbame Olympics/Paralympics.   It’s laughable @StefanMUC how you have come to this bizarre wishful thinking conclusion.

There’s is no risk to Brisbane 2032 with both the Queensland Labor government and main LNP opposition supporting the Games in 8.5 years time.  Did you not know that?  You’re trying so hard to whip up a conspiracy theory about Brisbane 2032 because of your disdain for certain figures in the IOC, it’s laughable.   

Sorry if that jars your reality from 16,000 kms long way but that’s just how it is.

5 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

(corrected):

@StefanMUC  what you have failed to realise is that there is a coming Queensland State Election and lots of huff and bluff happening from politicians which happens every election cycle.  So please don’t be so gullible and hysterical.

This huff and bluff is par for the course at Australian elections.   The Brisbane Lord Mayor is from the opposition LNP parties and is angling for a role in State politics in the lead-up to the biggest party in town.  He is pretty ineffective at the local government level, thus he resigned from the Olympics leadership group.  The incumbent Queensland Government is from the Australian Labor Party.     

Classis opposition conservative parties versus an incumbent labor government,  LNP versus Labor, a tradition originating from the UK.  With the state opposition supporting the Brisbane 2032 Games along with the incumbent Labor Government, The left-leaning Greens Party have no chance of winning government, never have, never will.

So, what you’re writing is absolute baseless garbage, stuff made of fantasies, no offence intended.

With bi-partisan support from the incumbent govt and LNP opposition, there is no risk to the Brisbame Olympics/Paralympics.   It’s laughable @StefanMUC how you have come to this bizarre, wishful-thinking conclusion.

Allow me to reassure you, there’s is no risk to Brisbane 2032 with both the Queensland Labor government and main LNP opposition parties supporting the Games in 8.5 years time.

Did you not know that?  You’re trying so hard to throw mud and whip up a conspiracy theory about Brisbane 2032 because of your disdain for certain figures in the IOC, it’s laughable, it really is. 

Sorry if that jars your reality from 16,000 kms long way but that’s just how it is.

4 hours ago, yoshi said:

I must say I was sure Brisbane wouldn't go the way of Victoria but I'm now a little less sure with this news about the mayor and the rejection of the chance to use the Commonwealth Games as a test... hopefully they sort it out. I still think they're only now realising what they've taken on, and that this kind of discussion used to happen before even getting to the vote, or deciding whether to proceed at all. That kind of refinement and clear comparison with other candidates was the biggest advantage of the old bid process. 

Relax :)  with both the centre-left incumbent Labor government and conservative LNP opposition parties in Queensland supporting the Olympics/Paralympics,  there is zero risk to the 2032 Games.  

(just some other keyboard warriors in this thread throwing mud and wild conspiracy theories from afar because of their personal disdain for Thomas Bach and John Coates).

Update on Brisbane 2032 Preparations

From the Brisbane 2032 Infrastructure Program are these updates:

Gabba Olympic/AFL/Cricket Stadium

• The Gabba Rebuild has received the green light and funded by the Queensland Government.  

The current Gabba stadium will be demolished and rebuilt, including:

• an increased capacity from 42,000 to 50,000 seats
  • changeroom facilities for female athletes
  • larger general admission entry concourses
  • dining options and member spaces
  • lifts and escalators
  • media and team facilities, and
  • merchandise stores.
  • The site will be linked to the new Woolloongabba Station precinct, being developed through the Cross River Rail project via a new pedestrian plaza.
  • Project status: The Project Validation Report is now complete. A summary is available here(icon.png 1.3 MB).
  • Timeline: The design process is expected to occur from 2024 to 2026. Early works including deconstruction will commence in 2025, with construction of the new stadium from 2026 and it will be ready for use in 2030.

Northshore Athletes Village, Brisbane

• After the Games, Northshore will deliver a diverse residential offering, including aged care, retirement living, social and affordable housing, key worker, hotel, build-to-rent and market accommodation. Two other athlete villages on the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast will also be converted to provide new permanent dwellings for South East Queensland’s growing population within vibrant mixed-use precincts.
  • Project status: More information on the additional athlete villages will be available as planning continues.
  • Precinct Master Plan: view the Northshore Hamilton Priority Development Area.

Barlow Park, Cairns

• Barlow Park in Cairns is expected to receive major upgrades to sporting and spectator facilities to meet the needs of the growing community. This includes upgrading the existing stadium, increasing seating capacity to 5000, sustainability features, improved amenities and better equipment for broadcasters, athletes and the public. This major upgrade will support Cairns to attract major events in the future, such as NRL matches.
  • Project status: A Project Validation Report is underway.

Breakfast Creek Indoor Sports Centre 

• The proposed Breakfast Creek Indoor Sports Centre in Albion is anticipated to be completed well ahead of the Games and serve the community for decades to come. The new community indoor sports centre will feature a 12-court, high-performance, community and para-sport facility within a thriving precinct.
  • Precinct Master Plan: A master plan for the proposed Breakfast Creek Sports Precinct in Albion is being developed.

Brisbane Aquatic Centre

• Previously known as the Chandler Aquatic Centre, this venue has been a swimming stronghold since hosting the 1982 Commonwealth Games and other high-profile events over the past 40 years. The proposed revamping the famed pool at Chandler will once again leave the centre as an aquatic legacy for the public, schools and clubs in and around the region.

Brisbane Arena

• With state-of-the-art facilities and technology, the new Brisbane Arena will provide Brisbane and Queensland with a world class facility for premium live events that is highly accessible and well connected to all transport networks. It will revitalise an underutilised inner-city precinct by helping Queensland to attract a greater variety of entertainment and international sporting events, bringing significant economic and social benefits to Brisbane, Queensland and Australia.
  • Project status: The Joint Business Case with the Australian Government is underway.
  • Precinct Master Plan: The Roma Street Precinct Master Plan is underway.

Brisbane International Shooting Centre

• The Brisbane International Shooting Centre was originally built in 1968, and is a world-class venue with four international-level pistol shooting ranges. Once the shotgun range is upgraded, the facility will be the only venue in the southern hemisphere able to host all shooting disciplines in one place. The facility was redeveloped to host the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games events, and minor facility upgrades will further modernise the venue, ready to host Brisbane 2032 events. After the Games, the upgraded facility will be home to Queensland Target Sports, Pistol Shooting Queensland and Brisbane International Shooting Centre Limited.
  • Project status: Detailed planning for the upgrade will commence in 2025.

Chandler Indoor Sports Centre

• Currently the home to Gymnastics Queensland, the facility built for the Brisbane 1982 Commonwealth Games will be reaching its end of useful life by 2032. The proposal is to transform the site into a new sustainable indoor high-performance sports centre featuring 10 courts and a gymnastic hall.
  • Chandler Sports Precinct 

While there are only minor works required on the BMX and Cycling facilities as part of the Brisbane 2032 infrastructure program, significant work will be carried out in the broader precinct to improve connection and accessibility to all venues.

(re-posted due to incomplete previous post):

Update on Brisbane 2032 Preparations

• The Gabba Rebuild has received the green light and funded by the Queensland Government.  

• lifts and escalators
  • merchandise stores.
  • The site will be linked to the new Woolloongabba Station precinct, being developed through the Cross River Rail project via a new pedestrian plaza.
  • Project status: The Project Validation Report is now complete. A summary is available here(icon.png 1.3 MB).
  • Timeline: The design process is expected to occur from 2024 to 2026. Early works including deconstruction will commence in 2025, with construction of the new stadium from 2026 and it will be ready for use in 2030.

• After the Games, Northshore will deliver a diverse residential offering, including aged care, retirement living, social and affordable housing, key worker, hotel, build-to-rent and market accommodation. Two other athlete villages on the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast will also be converted to provide new permanent dwellings for South East Queensland’s growing population within vibrant mixed-use precincts.
  • Project status: More information on the additional athlete villages will be available as planning continues.
  • Precinct Master Plan: view the Northshore Hamilton Priority Development Area.

Barlow Park, Cairns

• Barlow Park in Cairns is expected to receive major upgrades to sporting and spectator facilities to meet the needs of the growing community. This includes upgrading the existing stadium, increasing seating capacity to 5000, sustainability features, improved amenities and better equipment for broadcasters, athletes and the public. This major upgrade will support Cairns to attract major events in the future, such as NRL matches.

• The proposed Breakfast Creek Indoor Sports Centre in Albion is anticipated to be completed well ahead of the Games and serve the community for decades to come. The new community indoor sports centre will feature a 12-court, high-performance, community and para-sport facility within a thriving precinct.
  • Precinct Master Plan: A master plan for the proposed Breakfast Creek Sports Precinct in Albion is being developed.

Brisbane Aquatic Centre

• Previously known as the Chandler Aquatic Centre, this venue has been a swimming stronghold since hosting the 1982 Commonwealth Games and other high-profile events over the past 40 years. The proposed revamping the famed pool at Chandler will once again leave the centre as an aquatic legacy for the public, schools and clubs in and around the region.

Brisbane Arena

• With state-of-the-art facilities and technology, the new Brisbane Arena will provide Brisbane and Queensland with a world class facility for premium live events that is highly accessible and well connected to all transport networks. It will revitalise an underutilised inner-city precinct by helping Queensland to attract a greater variety of entertainment and international sporting events, bringing significant economic and social benefits to Brisbane, Queensland and Australia.
  • Project status: The Joint Business Case with the Australian Government is underway.

• The Brisbane International Shooting Centre was originally built in 1968, and is a world-class venue with four international-level pistol shooting ranges. Once the shotgun range is upgraded, the facility will be the only venue in the southern hemisphere able to host all shooting disciplines in one place. The facility was redeveloped to host the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games events, and minor facility upgrades will further modernise the venue, ready to host Brisbane 2032 events. After the Games, the upgraded facility will be home to Queensland Target Sports, Pistol Shooting Queensland and Brisbane International Shooting Centre Limited.

• Currently the home to Gymnastics Queensland, the facility built for the Brisbane 1982 Commonwealth Games will be reaching its end of useful life by 2032. The proposal is to transform the site into a new sustainable indoor high-performance sports centre featuring 10 courts and a gymnastic hall.

Chandler Sports Precinct 

• While there are only minor works required on the BMX and Cycling facilities as part of the Brisbane 2032 infrastructure program, significant work will be carried out in the broader precinct to improve connection and accessibility to all venues.

International Broadcast Centre 

• During Games time, the International Broadcast Centre will be operational 24 hours a day, seven days a week, ensuring that every moment of the action can be seen around the globe.
  • The proposed redevelopment of the Visy site at South Brisbane fits with planning spanning back to 2011 when it was identified as a key renewal site in the South Brisbane Riverside Neighbourhood Plan.
  • After the Games, the structure is expected to be removed, and the area redeveloped into a high-quality, mixed-use precinct complemented by open space and community facilities.

Logan Indoor Sports Centre 

• The proposed new Logan Indoor Sports Centre will provide indoor facilities the local community needs and could be used as a training or competition venue during Brisbane 2032. Logan currently only has one court per 28,000 residents, which is significantly less than surrounding areas.
  • Project status: A Detailed Business Case is underway.

Moreton Bay Indoor Sports Centre 

• The proposed new Moreton Bay Indoor Sport Centre, to be built at The Mill, Petrie, will provide a nine-court indoor sports centre with supporting change facilities, amenities and functional spaces. The community centre will be suitable for a range of indoor sports and community uses, and may attract more events to the region.

Queensland Tennis Centre 

• Operated by Tennis Queensland, the state-of-the-art complex opened in 2008 and has been the home for the Brisbane International Tennis tournament and a training centre for professional tennis players. It’s also a community use venue, with coaching for all ages, social games, and competitions.
  • Project status: While there are no major works required at this facility as part of the Brisbane 2032 infrastructure program, shortly before the Games the venue may receive some minor upgrades, like court resurfacing, in preparation for hosting Brisbane 2032 events.

Redland Whitewater Centre 

• The proposed new Redland Whitewater Centre will be developed as a sustainableinternational-standard whitewater venue, providing a uniqueaddition to sport and recreation facilities for the Redlands community. Before and after the Games, Paddle Australia and Paddle Queensland will use the facility for high-performance sport and sport development.  It will also provide an opportunity for a year-round swift water training facility for emergency services personnel.

Sunshine Coast Indoor Sports Centre 

• The proposed new Sunshine Coast Indoor Sports Centre will be a sustainable, modern facility suitable for a range of indoor sports and community uses. Co-located with the Sunshine Coast Stadium within the Kawana Sports Precinct, the centre will have 11 courts and multifunctional areas that can be used for basketball, netball, volleyball, pickleball, futsal and badminton.

Sunshine Coast Stadium 

• Sunshine Coast Stadium is a multi-sport venue located at the Kawana Sports Precinct, hosting sport, leisure and entertainment events throughout the year including expos, festivals, and music concerts. Since 2007, the sports fields have hosted many local and national soccer, rugby league and union games, the Women’s State of Origin, elite training camps, and community sports. Proposed upgrades to the stadium will ensure it continues to attract national and international events, bringing social and economic opportunities to the local community. The project will create more seating, improved facilities for athletes and officials, and multi-purpose community spaces.

Sunshine Coast Mountain Bike Centre 

• Demand for mountain biking facilities has increased rapidly in South-East Queensland and is forecast to continue to grow. The proposed upgraded facility will help meet that demand – both before and after Brisbane 2032 - as well as supporting the growing demand for nature trails and nature-based recreational activities. This upgrade will give it the boost needed to be an international mountain bike facility. The new mountain bike cycling hub will offer circuit, beginner level trails suitable for multisport events, as well as bike hire facilities and space for a café.

Toowoomba Sports Ground 

• Toowoomba Sports Ground, commonly known as Clive Berghofer Stadium, has been the home ground for many local sporting clubs and events for many years and has also hosted high-profile sports matches and events.  Proposed upgrades to the ground’s sporting and spectator facilities will ensure the site meets the needs of a growing community and continues to attract major events to the region. The proposed upgrades will include modern facilities, broadcast quality lighting, and will increase in permanent seating capacity.

Wyaralong Flat Water Centre 

• A proposed upgrade of the Wyaralong Flat Water Centre will support more hosting opportunities for local, regional and international regattas. The redeveloped centre will see a 2km, 10-lane regatta course and rowing centre with training and warm up courses, boat sheds and facilities block, pontoons, finish tower and vehicle parking areas.

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

Relax :)  with both the centre-left incumbent Labor government and conservative LNP opposition parties in Queensland supporting the Olympics/Paralympics,  there is zero risk to the 2032 Games.  

(just some other keyboard warriors in this thread throwing mud and wild conspiracy theories from afar because of their personal disdain for Thomas Bach and John Coates).

I love how you go off on multiple rants, including 1 directed at another poster.  And then you of all people are telling someone else to relax.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous to invoke a mention of Denver as a hyperbolic notion of the thought it could be possible for Brisbane to say they're not hosting.  But maybe let's allow other posters to have the opinion that things are less than perfect so that you can make several long posts on every venue

3 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

I love how you go off on multiple rants, including 1 directed at another poster.  And then you of all people are telling someone else to relax.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous to invoke a mention of Denver as a hyperbolic notion of the thought it could be possible for Brisbane to say they're not hosting.  But maybe let's allow other posters to have the opinion that things are less than perfect so that you can make several long posts on every venue

What a load of hypocrisy as you’re one of the  the worst offenders @Quaker2001, the pot calling the kettle black. You’re blocked.

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

(re-posted due to incomplete previous post):

Update on Brisbane 2032 Preparations

• lifts and escalators
  • merchandise stores.
  • Timeline: The design process is expected to occur from 2024 to 2026. Early works including deconstruction will commence in 2025, with construction of the new stadium from 2026 and it will be ready for use in 2030.

• Precinct Master Plan: view the Northshore Hamilton Priority Development Area.

Barlow Park, Cairns

Brisbane Aquatic Centre

Brisbane Arena

• The Brisbane International Shooting Centre was originally built in 1968, and is a world-class venue with four international-level pistol shooting ranges. Once the shotgun range is upgraded, the facility will be the only venue in the southern hemisphere able to host all shooting disciplines in one place. The facility was redeveloped to host the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games events, and minor facility upgrades will further modernise the venue, ready to host Brisbane 2032 events. After the Games, the upgraded facility will be home to Queensland Target Sports, Pistol Shooting Queensland and Brisbane International Shooting Centre Limited.

• Currently the home to Gymnastics Queensland, the facility built for the Brisbane 1982 Commonwealth Games will be reaching its end of useful life by 2032. The proposal is to transform the site into a new sustainable indoor high-performance sports centre featuring 10 courts and a gymnastic hall.

Chandler Sports Precinct 

• While there are only minor works required on the BMX and Cycling facilities as part of the Brisbane 2032 infrastructure program, significant work will be carried out in the broader precinct to improve connection and accessibility to all venues.

International Broadcast Centre 

• During Games time, the International Broadcast Centre will be operational 24 hours a day, seven days a week, ensuring that every moment of the action can be seen around the globe.
  • The proposed redevelopment of the Visy site at South Brisbane fits with planning spanning back to 2011 when it was identified as a key renewal site in the South Brisbane Riverside Neighbourhood Plan.
  • After the Games, the structure is expected to be removed, and the area redeveloped into a high-quality, mixed-use precinct complemented by open space and community facilities.

Logan Indoor Sports Centre 

• The proposed new Logan Indoor Sports Centre will provide indoor facilities the local community needs and could be used as a training or competition venue during Brisbane 2032. Logan currently only has one court per 28,000 residents, which is significantly less than surrounding areas.
  • Project status: A Detailed Business Case is underway.

Moreton Bay Indoor Sports Centre 

• The proposed new Moreton Bay Indoor Sport Centre, to be built at The Mill, Petrie, will provide a nine-court indoor sports centre with supporting change facilities, amenities and functional spaces. The community centre will be suitable for a range of indoor sports and community uses, and may attract more events to the region.

Queensland Tennis Centre 

• Operated by Tennis Queensland, the state-of-the-art complex opened in 2008 and has been the home for the Brisbane International Tennis tournament and a training centre for professional tennis players. It’s also a community use venue, with coaching for all ages, social games, and competitions.
  • Project status: While there are no major works required at this facility as part of the Brisbane 2032 infrastructure program, shortly before the Games the venue may receive some minor upgrades, like court resurfacing, in preparation for hosting Brisbane 2032 events.

Redland Whitewater Centre 

• The proposed new Redland Whitewater Centre will be developed as a sustainableinternational-standard whitewater venue, providing a uniqueaddition to sport and recreation facilities for the Redlands community. Before and after the Games, Paddle Australia and Paddle Queensland will use the facility for high-performance sport and sport development.  It will also provide an opportunity for a year-round swift water training facility for emergency services personnel.

Sunshine Coast Indoor Sports Centre 

• The proposed new Sunshine Coast Indoor Sports Centre will be a sustainable, modern facility suitable for a range of indoor sports and community uses. Co-located with the Sunshine Coast Stadium within the Kawana Sports Precinct, the centre will have 11 courts and multifunctional areas that can be used for basketball, netball, volleyball, pickleball, futsal and badminton.

Sunshine Coast Stadium 

• Sunshine Coast Stadium is a multi-sport venue located at the Kawana Sports Precinct, hosting sport, leisure and entertainment events throughout the year including expos, festivals, and music concerts. Since 2007, the sports fields have hosted many local and national soccer, rugby league and union games, the Women’s State of Origin, elite training camps, and community sports. Proposed upgrades to the stadium will ensure it continues to attract national and international events, bringing social and economic opportunities to the local community. The project will create more seating, improved facilities for athletes and officials, and multi-purpose community spaces.

Sunshine Coast Mountain Bike Centre 

• Demand for mountain biking facilities has increased rapidly in South-East Queensland and is forecast to continue to grow. The proposed upgraded facility will help meet that demand – both before and after Brisbane 2032 - as well as supporting the growing demand for nature trails and nature-based recreational activities. This upgrade will give it the boost needed to be an international mountain bike facility. The new mountain bike cycling hub will offer circuit, beginner level trails suitable for multisport events, as well as bike hire facilities and space for a café.

Toowoomba Sports Ground 

• Toowoomba Sports Ground, commonly known as Clive Berghofer Stadium, has been the home ground for many local sporting clubs and events for many years and has also hosted high-profile sports matches and events.  Proposed upgrades to the ground’s sporting and spectator facilities will ensure the site meets the needs of a growing community and continues to attract major events to the region. The proposed upgrades will include modern facilities, broadcast quality lighting, and will increase in permanent seating capacity.

Wyaralong Flat Water Centre 

• A proposed upgrade of the Wyaralong Flat Water Centre will support more hosting opportunities for local, regional and international regattas. The redeveloped centre will see a 2km, 10-lane regatta course and rowing centre with training and warm up courses, boat sheds and facilities block, pontoons, finish tower and vehicle parking areas.

A bit more on Athlete Villages/Accommodation

Athletes will also be accommodated in regional and interstate hotels in Townsville, Cairns, Toowoomba, Melbourne and Sydney. Opportunities will be explored to deliver the Villages in partnership with the private sector.

• Brisbane Athlete Village
  • Gold Coast Athlete Village
  • Kooralbyn Satellite Athlete Village
  • Sunshine Coast Athlete Village

Credit: Brisbane 2032 website

It’s pretty rare that I’ll agree with AustralianFan, but he’s right. Brisbane is not at risk of “Doing a Denver” or “Doing a Dan Andrews”.  The mayor walking out in a huff is not some death knell or harbinger of disaster. At the end of the day, it’s inevitable we’re going to get these type of shocks, scandals, political gunfights, venues changed and plans re-arranged - we all know this is part of organising an Olympics. The organisers I think are just now starting to realise just how massive a task is ahead of them, and the public is starting to get a bit restive that it’s going be more disruptive and expensive than the were told, but come 2032 the Brisbane Games will happen and there’s no reason they shouldn’t be a success, bar bad luck or some major f*ck up.

That said, it is incredibly disingenuous to be brushing this off so blithely just days after pointing the finger and crowing at Stockholm for doing EXACTLY the same thing. And responding to it by stonewalling, gaslighting and posting big slabs of text detailing venue plans which have already been posted here time and time before is exactly why he gets on so many people’s tits here.