An LA Metro video promoting the use of Metro Rail to get to the Banc of California Stadium, featuring Latif Blessing of the LAFC.  It'd be great if Metro started promoting itself more and more and producing more of these kinds of videos to encourage residents and visitors to take public transportation to the Olympic venues come 2028.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V61dgYxgCE

Edited by ejaycat

1 hour ago, RuFF said:

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. Electrification and increased service on Metrolink is moving toward the 2020 ballot with a 55% approval required for passage as opposed to the 2/3rd majority that had previously been required for Metro tax increases through Measure R and M as well as the tax for the California High speed Rail. Though, it’s important to note that metrolink faces more conservative votes of the Inland Empire, Ventura And Orange Counties... stay tuned: 

https://urbanize.la/post/ballot-measure-fund-metrolink-upgrades-could-come-2020

Having recently traveled to Japan, I was downright embarrassed at America's ancient diesel locomotives. I am glad that Southern California is doing this. The weather there is too nice to see diesel locomotives polluting the air.

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2018 at 8:04 AM, RuFF said:

Everyone's favorite Alan Abrahamson thinks Paris will be the last of the dinosaur Olympics and Los Angeles will be the first of a new era. A New Games for a New Era! : / 

https://www.3wiresports.com/articles/2018/7/21/the-esports-train

There's a great deal of collaboration going on between Paris and LA.

LA will be run, at least from a financial point of view, very differently from Paris, but that's about it.

It is still way to early to make any kind of conclusions like this.

18 hours ago, RuFF said:

Funny you should mention collaboration. Alan Abrahamson touched on how Paris continues to fall off script with the IOC and LA. While the IOC and LA tout win-win-win, Paris continues to say the “won. Then immediately after Alan Abrahamson touched the subject Etienne Thobois was quoted by media sources around the world taking about the memorandum of understanding with Tokyo 2020. Specifically he was quoted saying this:

"This is a very important day for us, not only because we won the semi-final of the World Cup," said Paris 2024 Director General Etienne Thobois, referring to France's win over Belgium the night before and eliciting laughter at a briefing in Tokyo.

"But also because we can sign this agreement which for us is very important because after the IOC and the IPC, Tokyo 2020 will be our first partner and we are really looking forward (to it)."

So to be clear Paris isn’t really talking about collaborating with LA. Everyone else is, but not Paris. 

Really, bemusing. Where is this all coming from? Working with Tokyo is a snub to LA? It just makes Angelinos look really needy. Do we really have a decade of this to look forward to? I honestly thought this kind of thing from LA boosters would stop after their city got selected, but just as Trump can't stop talking about Obama, so AA can't stop talking down Paris. Sad!

18 hours ago, RuFF said:

Specifically from the Tom and Tammy Taxpayer piece Alan wrote this: The IOC last year gave Paris 2024 and LA 2028 in a joint award. Since, the IOC and the LA28 people have consistently hit the “spirit of collaboration” button.

Paris 2024 — hello?”

I literally have no idea what this means. Anyone else? I'd love to know what Paris has done that's upset this man so much. It seems to me they're  just getting on with things.

2eqh56.jpg

Edited by Rob.
  • Haha 1

“I’d love to know what Paris has done that’s upset this man so much”. End quote

It’s really quite simple. Paris got selected for 2024 instead of L.A. Which meant that L.A.’s Olympic aspirations got pushed another four years down the road from their original goal to 2028. 

So that has one so-called journalist miffed bcuz before the double-allocation (which the USOC initially brought into the “conversation”, & not him like he enjoys to take credit for - sounds like a certain president lol) all of his rhetoric was how it “makes the most sense” to award L.A. the 2024 Games, then Paris gets 2028. And that would somehow get the Olympic world “back on track” again. Even though everyone else (except of course ‘this man’ & L.A. boosters) knew better & always told them otherwise.

If it had indeed been the other way around, I’m sure this individual’s ‘blog’ would hardly be as negative (if it all) towards Paris. Yes, it is indeed sad. Pretty elementary level. It’s like they can’t help themselves anymore.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob. said:

Really, bemusing. Where is this all coming from? Working with Tokyo is a snub to LA? It just makes Angelinos look really needy. Do we really have a decade of this to look forward to? I honestly thought this kind of thing from LA boosters would stop after their city got selected, but just as Trump can't stop talking about Obama, so AA can't stop talking down Paris. Sad!

I literally have no idea what this means. Anyone else? I'd love to know what Paris has done that's upset this man so much. It seems to me they're  just getting on with things.

I don't quite get mindset either, but the comparisons to Trump are spot on.  I get it.. to a fault, this guy genuinely cares about the future of the Olympic movement.  But how this manifested itself into a continuing smear campaign against Paris nearly a year after things were settled continues to befuddle.  It's over, Alan.  Paris got theirs.  LA got theirs.  And as many times as the argument was made by him that the only sensible solution was for LA to get 2024, an equally strong argument could be made that Paris 2024-LA 2028 is the smarter strategic move.  But that's all moot now.  Yes, it's someone irrational to continue to poke at Paris.  How does that help the Olympics and the Olympic movement?  In his latest article (which need not be referenced here since it's mostly about Calgary and 2026), he basically ends it with his usual mantra of "everyone needs to be more like LA."  They're getting it right and everyone else is getting it wrong.  If that's the case, then the Olympics are doomed and he should just abandon ship now.

Beyond all that.. last I checked, 2020 comes before 2024, which comes before 2028.  L.A. literally has more time to prepare for their Olympics than any city has ever had before.  Paris should be taking lessons from Tokyo because they'll get to see that play out.  Just like LA will see Tokyo AND Paris play out before them.  I get where AA is coming from that anytime he sees Bach or whomever talking about engaging with a younger audience or acknowledging social media or whatever might be that future, he's immediately making that connection with LA as if their interests align (and as if Paris is incapable of doing that).  I think that's what he means in terms of spirit of collaboration where he thinks Paris is lacking.  As we all agree though (well, almost all agree).. he's only choosing what he wants to see and we know where his biases lie.

And yes Rob.. sadly, we clearly will be hearing about this from him for the next decade.

• Like 1

^^ Need more than one like button for that post Quaker. Spot on.

And FYI: I'd forgotten how AA was like a dog with a bone about how a double award had to be be LA24/Paris 28. Surely he's not still bitter about that though?

Edited by Rob.

2 hours ago, Rob. said:

And FYI: I'd forgotten how AA was like a dog with a bone about how a double award had to be be LA24/Paris 28. 

Yep - I don’t forget anything (well, at least now on Gamesbids, anyway)! :lol: Remember, we’re both still waiting for the -who ‘likes’ who’s post- on the like-feature to be re-activated (again). ;)

2 hours ago, Rob. said:

Surely he's not still bitter about that though?

Well, considering there’s no other rhyme or reason for his nonsensical arguments on his blog other than that, since pretty much most of us (who aren’t incessant L.A. boosters, that is), can see that those aren’t really arguments, what else can it be contributed to? To quote someone’s meme from the other day lol, AA needs to just “let it go”.

4 hours ago, Rob. said:

^^ Need more than one like button for that post Quaker. Spot on.

And FYI: I'd forgotten how AA was like a dog with a bone about how a double award had to be be LA24/Paris 28. Surely he's not still bitter about that though?

Should have split that up into multiple posts then!

Yea, I don't know why he continues to harp on Paris.  He seemed to be so eager to remind us how he had no direct ties to LA or their organizing committee, yet here we are where he's still on it.  Every so often, his logic makes sense.  I could definitely see LA doing some things differently from other bids.  But to the point many of us continue to make here.. I still believe any of that innovative thinking will likely be a one off rather than the start of a trend.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/la-sp-clippers-inglewood-arena-20180612-story.html%3foutputType=amp

The link is a bit over a month old and there's been some local resistance to a new Clippers arena but I would suspect by 2028 the Clippers will have their own arena in Inglewood. Their lease at the Staples Center ends after 2024 and Steve Ballmer has made it known he wants his own arena. It'd be a plus for the games.

On 7/26/2018 at 8:29 PM, Rob. said:

I'd love to know what Paris has done that's upset this man so much. It seems to me they're  just getting on with things.

Yeah, it’s quite sad that what could have/should have been a good discussion about the issue of e-sports in the Olympics gets coloured and derailed by his bitterness at Paris getting in before LA, and his conviction that the future of the gams is LA, LA, LA!

And sad that when it’s linked here, the linker chooses to highlight one oblique phrase about Paris being an Olympic dinosaur, ignoring the vast bulk of the rest of the article which actually does bring up some good issues amid the “LA is the savior of Olympism” prejudicial garbage.

Now the issue of e-sports and the Olympics IS an interesting discussion and debate to be had. Tha actual AA article would  have been a bit more appropriate in the thread on that subject. Considering myself a keen gamer, I can actually see both sides of that debate. I’ve been observing how the Overwatch league is growing so spectacularly in prominence, as well as the rising popularity of games streaming and platforms like Twitch. Yes, there is an argument to be made that a growing generation of keen e-sports spectators and followers is fast emerging and should be acknowledged and leveraged. But as an Oly fan, well, I can well understand the opinion that the whole concept of the games is built around the best of the best of physical achievements. It’ll  be interesting to see how the IOC meets the clash of physical versus virtual sports in coming years or decades.

Anyway, back to AA and just to trip him up on a few particular points. Firstly, his “dinosaur” jab. It’s so ironic, that in his new-found enthusiasm for e-sports (which somehow by implications means LA, LA, LA), he ignores the fact that it’s actually been the Paris team that has made overtures about including e-sports in 2024: https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/41790148. Or that it’s making its games debut this year in the Jakarta Asian games and as a full medal sport in Hangzhou in 2022 (but then again, it’s always been the Asians, led by Korea, who have been leading he development of competitive spectator e-sports, rather than California).

His reasoning for dissing Paris re: e-sports seems to be on the basis that it’s too late now to be included in the 2024 roster (probably true, but if Bach was really keen on it, well...). But, hey, if the shoe was on the other foot and AA had got his wish and LA had gone first, I wonder how his Born Again enthusiasm for e-sports would stack up if it was to debut at Paris 2028 rather than LA 2024????

Then there’s his, what seems to be the basis of his whole manifesto, contention that e-sports (and by his definition LA, LA, LA) is the solution to bloating of athlete numbers from games to games. Is he seriously suggesting that adding e-sports, and the extra competitors it would bring, to 2028 would actually shrink the athlete numbers? Contradictory, of course - unless he’s suggesting that e-sports is introduced in REPLACEMENT of a raft of other physical sports. In which case is seriously now championing a future where LA’s legacy to future games is to turn it into a predominantly virtual event? I might well be a gamer and on the gamers’ side, but I still don’t quite feel easy with the notion of the games in the future becoming an event more based on virtual contests taking place on a server somewhere. Maybe I’m still old fashioned deep down.

Sigh. AA just seems bitter and obsessed and just prone to cherry pick any old discussion to fit into his ongoing grudge. Starting to remind me of another past old alliterative poster who twisted any fact to suit his grudge... JJ ;)!

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do the athletes need to be in the city. Maybe you could have one person sitting in London and another in New York and another in Singapore and they play against each other with the result projected into the venue of whatever sport they're doing in holographic form. Or maybe merge it with the Paralympics, create a new classification for Horizontally Challenged athletes (look who's talking Rob) and boom....sorted.

Yeah, all that “award winning recognition” :rolleyes: & the IOC itself (you know, the guys that actually count in all of this) totally IGNORED all of his “wisdom” that it “had to be L.A.24/Paris 28” in order to get the IOC “baxk on track”. And that’s what has his panties still all in a bunch. :lol: And you sure like to smell them a lot too for some strange reason. 

He could be all of those things (but really, I never even heard of him ‘til you started burrowing in his butt over here) but we all knew better (well, almost everyone) than to listen to all of that one-sided, bias drivel on this particular topic.  

Ummm again, I (nor anyone else who wasn’t on the L.A.’24 cheerleading squad) didn’t need any  “accolades” to have a non-bias opinion on how the IOC was going to lay down the 2024 & 2028 Games (or at the very least, who was going to get the 2024 Olympics). And as you can see, all of those “journalism awards” meant absolutely NOTHING when it came right down to that.

Even ITG’s (you know, that other Olympic newsworthy website which also gets referenced in the news media) Senior Reporter Nick Butler (who graduated from the University of Cambridge & who’s been to several Olympic Games & IOC’s sessions who was in the know) called out your “accredited journalist”. But there you were so quick to discredit him simply bcuz he didn’t agree with your precious Abratrollson. How ironic & double-standard of you. 

As far as other topics are concerned, he may have merit & knowledge in them which I can’t say one way or another. But considering how lopsided his “right to their opinion” was/is in regards to L.A. & the 2024 race (where I & others did have an educated opinion on), & how he still makes cheap jabs at Paris 2024 a year later after it was all said & done, then I have to take whatever he says with a grain of salt, “awards” or not. Donald Trump is the President of the United States of America - that still doesn’t make him any smarter than anyone else. And many out there actually call him a moron.

But mock us & jeer us all you want, bcuz in the end that’s all you really have at this point. Bcuz “the bottom line is” that L.A. will host the Olympic Games AFTER Paris does. And apparently that still bugs a couple of people out there (bcuz it went against all of that “accredited” know-how). So in that sense, he was NOT “the source”, whether “you like it or not” :P. And again, strange that you have to come to their defense so vehemently time & again. :wacko:

It's kinda sad how much pleasure I'm about to take in this burn right here.  Hopefully the rest of you enjoy this as much as I'm about to..

3 hours ago, RuFF said:

Making that whole story worse you guys are up against an award winning sports writer, he won 3 Emmys for the 2008, 2014, and 2016 Olympic Games. He's been recognized by the AP editor's board, the International Aquatics Federations FIRST World Journalist Award, he co-wrote Michael Phelps book, and he's a professor at the Annenberg School of Communication and Journalism in one of the worlds TOP Universities. You guys have what? Please. Knock yourselves out. You're like birds trying to get a snack to eat. 

Well, I have 6 Emmy awards (that's not a joke, I actually have won 6 Emmys from the same organization that AA won his from). 

giphy.gif

When Alan wins 3 more, then he'll have as many as I do.  Not offering that up to impress you.  Merely pointing out the FACT that I have more Emmy awards than Alan Abrahamson if you're going to tell me that means something.

So yea, I can pull up his bio on the USC website and cite his accomplishments as well.  No one here is disputing his credentials and his knowledge.  Doesn't mean his *opinions* deserve to be treated as gospel.  As noted, this is the same guy that told us it had to be LA 2024, not Paris.  And wants you to know he was the first person who publicly suggested the double award, but was adamant about "in that order"..  https://www.3wiresports.com/articles/2016/09/15/ioc-la-2024-paris-2028

At least the rest of us here have original opinions.  You continue to be a dumbed down version of AA that thinks he knows what he's talking about because you agree with an award winning journalist, one who says he has "the ability to see something different." (https://www.3wiresports.com/articles/2017/9/13/smumrl9u80piytwtb1ptc9twngjh2u)  Gee, where have I heard that one before.  I'm betting folks at Fox News have won awards before.  Does that mean they have credibility when it comes to discussing politics? 

Or is it possible there's an agenda and they could be wrong?

It is impressive how much you are like a Trump supporter right now except Abrahamson is your Trump.  Hey, he must be good at politic because he got elected president!  Do us all a favor.. stop being Abrahamson’s mouthpiece in this forum.  We’re all a bunch of insignificant nobodies here (with the exception of one, Robert Livingstone, who can certainly claim to be more than that), myself included.  You don’t get to play the “I agree with Alan and he’s the man, so you’re all wrong and I’m right because Alan can see things differently!” card and then tell us your **** doesn’t stink.  Get.  Thefuck.  Over.  Yourself. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, FYI said:

The irony there, is that many true MAGA Trumpeteers don’t really consider L.A. part of that equation anymore. 

.....the city politics, management, infrastructure, finances, illegal invasion, and TAXES are a bloated disaster to be honest.....but the weather

is amazing....you just need lots of $ to really avoid the problematic bits.

Edited by paul