Tokyo 2020 Handover

What happened to Abe after he popped out there, standing in the rain?  Did he come down from the platform; or did he go back into the platform and just hide there for the rest of the sequence?  Kinda odd to have a head of state just hide there, missing his country's entire show, per the script of the show???

Well, there used to be a time when Heads of State arrived just before the start of the Parade of Nations and missed most of the opening sequences (see Seoul, Lillehammer and Albertville). Queen Liz wasn't also during Pandemonium. 

15 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

Well, there used to be a time when Heads of State arrived just before the start of the Parade of Nations and missed most of the opening sequences (see Seoul, Lillehammer and Albertville). Queen Liz wasn't also during Pandemonium. 

Well, yeah, but was he just stuck in that tube for the remaining 7.5 minutes?  I'm sure that's not the best way to spend the time of an elected official no less.  Liz is just there for the decor; so she doesn't count.  Plus, until he returns to within the cloak of protection of Brazil's Secret Service, his safety is their responsibility.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

5 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Well, yeah, but was he just stuck in that tube for the remaining 7.5 minutes?  I'm sure that's not the best way to spend the time of an elected official no less.  Liz is just there for the decor; so she doesn't count.  

He probably went onto the podium right after that since he seemed to be already there alongside the Olympic medalist. Also is not like Brazil had any head of state in the closing to begin with since they're all scared of being booed (only the mayor of Rio since he had a duty to do). 

Also after having rewatched the closing ceremony I still have to say: Tokyo's handover was fu**ing awesome. I bet the tourism office of Tokyo sent a note of thanks to those who choreographed and participated in that segment - it sure presented the city in a very interesting, positive and vibrant light. It was very original and innovative, it conveyed a very cool (in the most positive sense) and hip image and they even poked fun at themselves, with Abe acting as Super Mario. Japanese are not exactly famous for being self-deprecating, emotional and outgoing - but this was actually what the handover showed: a new, more enthusiastic and stirring side of Japan. And it says a lot when someone like me who was never really interested in travelling to Asia has become really curious about visiting Tokyo and Japan in 2020.

30 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

What happened to Abe after he popped out there, standing in the rain?  Did he come down from the platform; or did he go back into the platform and just hide there for the rest of the sequence?  Kinda odd to have a head of state just hide there, missing his country's entire show, per the script of the show???

He was there all the way to the end, where he passed the ball to the athlete and signed it all off with "See you in Tokyo 2020" - in English. no less.  He carried it all the way through, in essence.

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I was wondering that at first but after rewatching it, it became clear that he snuck back in the pipe and exited through a backdoor after he held up the red ball. What aired on tv was a video segment that looked almost exactly like the Tron portion in Sochi's OC, when it cut back to the live performance I saw him already walking towards the stands.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:
  •  

Great to see you Palette! :)

We were just wondering in the Tokyo threads if you could tell us how the handover was regarded in Japan.

OK;).

And @yoshi. You must have been very excited because there were so many Nintendo things. :lol: 

CqbWjF_WgAAX1NB.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phandrosis said:

Here's the full thing. It's cropped because IOC, but it's the only full version I could find.

30 minutes ago, Palette86 said:

Here's full version. But not sure how long the video and link is available.

http://sports.nhk.or.jp/video/element/video=30468.html

Same video on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk6uU8gb8PA&feature=player_embedded

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bythebay said:

I was wondering that at first but after rewatching it, it became clear that he snuck back in the pipe and exited through a backdoor after he held up the red ball. What aired on tv was a video segment that looked almost exactly like the Tron portion in Sochi's OC, when it cut back to the live performance I saw him already walking towards the stands.

Sharp eye.  Thanks.  I couldn't see him standing there getting soaked, and exposed to the crowd.  And having him stay in the tube while dancers were doing their thing in the light and shadows, would not have been the smartest idea.  You can never be too careful with the security of heads of state.  It would have been a nightmare for both the IOC, and the Japanese and Brazilian Secret Services for Abe to have just lingered in that lightweight tube; and his bodyguards far away.  

37 minutes ago, phandrosis said:

I heard from my dad that the reason there was no Studio Ghibli references is because Miyazaki hates Abe, so he didn't want any of his or his team's creations to be involved with Abe in any way.

Ha!  Am planning to see KUBO today (is that a Studio Ghibil production?)  

Anyway, am rewatching the whole Closing Ceremony this a.m, but just before I skip over the Tokyo portion, I just noticed that first two "Japanese" girls they picked for close-ups have very wide, un-Japanese-y eyes, making them look more Caucusoid than Asian.  Were those surgery-adjusted eyes already?  Hmmm...

9 hours ago, phandrosis said:

I heard from my dad that the reason there was no Studio Ghibli references is because Miyazaki hates Abe, so he didn't want any of his or his team's creations to be involved with Abe in any way.

Miyazaki left Ghibli and retired for good from animation, though. Or does he still has a certain degree of control over the Studio?

Either way, like I mentioned before, I think Ghibli style would had clashed too much with the futuristic/youthful message they want to give for the ceremonies. 

8 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Anyway, am rewatching the whole Closing Ceremony this a.m, but just before I skip over the Tokyo portion, I just noticed that first two "Japanese" girls they picked for close-ups have very wide, un-Japanese-y eyes, making them look more Caucusoid than Asian.  Were those surgery-adjusted eyes already?  Hmmm...

I heard there are two "races" in Japan, the Yamato and Jomon. Jomon have wider eyes for what i'm seeing. Depends of the genes though I could be wrong

jomon_yayoi1-1.jpg

15 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Not a broad generalisation at all for a nation with over 120 million people...

• Like 2