Sochi Ceremonies...

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That thing they mention about a 1000 kids choir from all regions of Russia...are they going to do something similar to the kids choir segment of London? (showing images of some of Russia's regions)

Oh yeah-- it's probably a pre-filmed segment. I can't see them actually bringing in 1000 kids from all over to Sochi. The headaches of hosting 1000 kids in the cold/flu season alone is unthinkable--let alone the real challenges of where to lodge them?? Plus having that many minors in Olympic city is too tempting a target for the Chechyan partisans.

^^ Or they could attempt to do a live feed with the children in throughout the regions of Russia. They just need to isolate them from the crowds to prevent unnecessary cheering in the segment.

I don't think Russia would have to much difficulty isolating them away from crowds.

It seems they've hired London's "screenwriter" Frank Cottrel Boyce; so I wouldn't be surprised if that "Isles of Wonder" children's choir idea would be repeated here...except what are Russia's still remaining political and regional divisions that are familiar to the world as England, Scotland, No. Ireland and Wales are?

So, it's going to be a massively projected show. But that also means that they won't have a whole lot of stuff hanging....which I thought they would...a la Kazan and Vancouver. Unless they will still hang drops, etc., from up there.

They should be able to achieve both sideways motion and acceptable stability by hanging items from, say 3 "carriages" running on 2 tracks. We may see a fair amount of fully aerial work, akin to Athens' Cycladic Head, but entering sideways from that "lobby".

I wonder what they'll fly in for the opening "War and Peace" section- and, for that matter, how they might link "War and Peace" to the reveal of the Rings.

It seems they've hired London's "screenwriter" Frank Cottrel Boyce; so I wouldn't be surprised if that "Isles of Wonder" children's choir idea would be repeated here...except what are Russia's still remaining political and regional divisions that are familiar to the world as England, Scotland, No. Ireland and Wales are?

Chechnya! And that Vladivostok place near that North Korea. Where you had dedicated Zenit fans travel 15,000 km all the way from St Petersburg to Vladivostok, only to have their car break down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Luch-Energiya_Vladivostok

Nah. Beijing had performers in the 10,000+ range; this Sochi is only using 3,000. No comparison. Would you be impressed with a pyramid being built by only 3,000 slaves or one using 10,000 slaves? Of course, the latter.

Well, it would be more impressive if 3000 could do the work of 10000.

As for Russia being able to pay for these gimmicks, I guess all the babushkas between Kaliningrad and Vladivostok freezing their wrinkling body parts off because there's no proper heating in their run down 60 year old appartement blocks might disagree.

Well, it would be more impressive if 3000 could do the work of 10000.

As for Russia being able to pay for these gimmicks, I guess all the babushkas between Kaliningrad and Vladivostok freezing their wrinkling body parts off because there's no proper heating in their run down 60 year old appartement blocks might disagree.

Spot on.

The transformation of the Soviet state into capitalist Russia is incredible. While there is this amazing appearance of prosperity and wealth through huge public spending, Russia's capitalist frenzy is fast creating a country with a significant (and widening) gap between the rich and poor that would even make the US looks positively idealistic.

Archived