Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

:lol:

I doubt it plays a factor in awarding the games. Pretty sure the French can do the same or better.

True.

But there is no denying that the US has much more star power when it comes to that kind of thing. I mean those 10min were pretty friggin awesome, and its not even an International event. 

I can only imagine just how much they would step it up for an International audience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JesseSaenz said:

But there is no denying that the US has much more star power when it comes to that kind of thing. I mean those 10min were pretty friggin awesome, and its not even an International event. 

I can only imagine just how much they would step it up for an International audience.

No denying there. Just saying it's not a factor and there's nothing stopping France from getting star power in stade de France for an opening ceremony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ROTFLMFAO :lol::lol: - yeah, I'm sure that the IOC (& that's if they "watched", too) was just in "awe" over Lady Ga-gag! :lol: 

I mean, seriously. Here we go with the hyperbole, yet again. Yeah, the U.S. has that much more star power, that's why the '96 Opening Ceremonies was virtual crap. 

And besides, there's no stopping other countries from tapping into that "star power" from performing at their respective ceremonies, as has been done before. So agree with above, it WON'T play at factor whatsover in the 2024 vote. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JesseSaenz said:

I wonder if the IOC watched Lady Gaga's spectacular half time performance last night. I can only imagine that LA would put on an even more spectacular show of that kind of caliber.

Drones, choreohraphed audience. My mind was blown.

Little different producing a 12-minute halftime show versus putting on a 4-5 hour opening ceremony.

Don't put the cart before the horse.  If LA isn't awarded the Olympics, there is no show for them to put on.  And as noted, it's not going to be a factor in whether LA wins that vote versus Paris.  I think you're right that LA would put on a great show.  No reason to believe Paris wouldn't be able to do something equally mind-blowing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RuFF said:

I've been readying the Bids from Paris and LA. Of particular note is the Athlete Concierge App that allows athletes to talk to each other, to be tracked on Olympic Network Transport, and the ability to explore the venues and take pictures for a book and even order food. Interesting concept, though it reminds me of apps that are starting to show up on Cruise Ships. 

Another note is that LA2024 reinforces the concept of developing a new model for the games. 

It's been discussed before.. there's no one-size-fits-all model for a city hosting an Olympics.  What works for LA may not translate over to another city.  That's the whole point behind what Agenda 2020 is supposed to be about (in theory, if you think the IOC actually believes their own hype), to find what works for each individual city rather than to have a model that other cities are supposed to follow.

Again, if LA is doing things that are new and innovative, good for them as I'm sure the IOC will appreciate their creativity.  And maybe future bidders will learn some lessons from them as we saw with 1984.  But it still doesn't mean that what LA is trying to do for 2024 is necessarily going to be what other cities follow going forward.  There's no template for how a city should host an Olympics.  Never has been.  Never will be (and there shouldn't be one, IMO)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As interesting and potentially useful as those ideas are, every host adds something new to the Games. I think it's an enormous stretch to call it a "new model". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well he's not going to travel to Europe with all our unreported terrorist attacks is he? Orange twat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RuFF said:

Sounds like President Trump doesn't know if the travel ban will hurt LA's bid but loudly and clearly supports the LA24 bid.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1046739/trump-doesnt-know-if-travel-ban-will-impact-los-angeles-2024-bid

Actions speak louder than words.  Trump can throw all the support behind the bid that he wants, but if he's making policy decisions where it gives the appearance that the United States is not as open to the rest of the world, that's a problem, even though the US political landscape can and probably will look a lot different come 2024.  And maybe it's me, but I think it's really damning of the situation that Trump is saying he doesn't know because if he thought the travel ban wasn't going to hurt the bid, he would have just come out and said so.

Worth noting that if you look at the comments in the article, there is a poster there who makes a case for LA and says " Cant see anything but an LA win. "  He brings up some interesting points.  Not sure how much I buy into the logic though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look if we can really be honest here Trump is a jackass but he knows how to pic a winner. When I heard about the travel ban I was like it's over LA is out but Trump supporting the LA2024 bid came out of left field to me. Like I said on the games bids article, don't give me that he's the president he has to support the bid mess. this is Trump he doesn't do anything out of protocol. Especially for a city that hates him, a mayor that dislikes him and works for the other party and an even that is in direct opposition of his policies.

I think Trump sees himself opening the games in 2024 in his last year as president if he happened to make 2 terms and let us not kid ourselves that that isn't a possibility no matter how dark and disappointing that would be but he managed to win it this time against the odds and all conventional forms of wisdom, what is to say he doesn't again. I feel nauseous writing that.

Back to the point though I just don't see him supporting this if he had a doubt it would lose and that leads me to think there is something the white house and LA2024 knows that we don't. i.e. the back room conversation of the IOC voters.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

Worth noting that if you look at the comments in the article, there is a poster there who makes a case for LA and says " Cant see anything but an LA win. "  He brings up some interesting points.  Not sure how much I buy into the logic though.

What do they know, though, especially when they INCORRECTLY claim that Paris has "significantly more to build" than L.A. does. That couldn't be further from the truth. The only big ticket item that the French have to build is the OV, which btw, hangs very tightly with a 2024 timetable. They ramble on comparing Paris to Rio as far as "political instability" goes, I mean seriously. The two aren't comparable whatsoever. And besides, it's not as if our own political system is running ever so smoothly right now. :rolleyes:

They talk about the Muslim votes, but even before trying to put those into the equation, I can already see at least a dozen votes from other areas NOT voting for the U.S. right from the get go. They (conveniently) forget, or don't realize, how certain IOC members are dead-set in derailing a U.S. bid, & that was even before all this Trump mess. There's also a possibility that Mr. Cheetoh may still be in office come 2024, too. And some might say to that - "oh, no way!" - but that was also the mentality of him winning in the first place.

They go on painting "doom & gloom" for Europe, but the truth is, the IOC still NEEDS Europe, more than Europe needs the IOC. And even if not 2024, the IOC still has to return there at some point. But my belief is that they'll want to return there to restore their image & brand at home ASAP. But if they want a B or C class European city for 2028, then I "can't see anything but a Paris 2024 win" come Lima.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, alphamale86 said:

Back to the point though I just don't see him supporting this if he had a doubt it would lose and that leads me to think there is something the white house and LA2024 knows that we don't. i.e. the back room conversation of the IOC voters.  

You mean like the backroom coversations also that could be taking place about awarding (Paris) 2024 & (L.A.) 2028 at the same time, which even the L.A. bid head & mayor have made comments on recently, but some don't want to acknowledge (well, mainly the L.A. supporters [dope, & of course the Toronto 2028 supporters :lol:]). So if there's any type of those kind of secret talks (& if there were, it'd be with the IOC Executive Board & not the "voters"), then I'd say it's that one moreso than "Trump & the White House know something we don't know". 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 minutes ago, RuFF said:

So don't downplay what Paris has to build, these are all significant. 

L.A. still has infrastructure projects of their own to finish for the Olympics, which sure, they're not part of the "Olympic budget" bcuz they're still gonna happen regardless of the Olympics, but it will still be perceived as Olympic-ready necessities, especially when the deadline for those projects will need to be expidited, & at a COST as well, DUE precisely bcuz of the Olympics. So don't "downplay" the double-standards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YEAH!!! YOU GUYS! What about that subway.....we need that subway which is already scheduled to be ready or else it's gonna really be super extra bad!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, alphamale86 said:

Look if we can really be honest here Trump is a jackass but he knows how to pic a winner. When I heard about the travel ban I was like it's over LA is out but Trump supporting the LA2024 bid came out of left field to me. Like I said on the games bids article, don't give me that he's the president he has to support the bid mess. this is Trump he doesn't do anything out of protocol. Especially for a city that hates him, a mayor that dislikes him and works for the other party and an even that is in direct opposition of his policies.

I think Trump sees himself opening the games in 2024 in his last year as president if he happened to make 2 terms and let us not kid ourselves that that isn't a possibility no matter how dark and disappointing that would be but he managed to win it this time against the odds and all conventional forms of wisdom, what is to say he doesn't again. I feel nauseous writing that.

Back to the point though I just don't see him supporting this if he had a doubt it would lose and that leads me to think there is something the white house and LA2024 knows that we don't. i.e. the back room conversation of the IOC voters.  

Trump came out in support of LA's bid 2 months ago, so it really shouldn't be out of left field that he's in favor of LA2024.  And I said it earlier.. if they win, you can be darn sure he'll be one of the first to send a tweet celebrating the win and you know he'll claim that it was because of him that the IOC chose the United States.  That's the double-edged sword here.  He's the type of rich autocrat that may appeal to the IOC, but at the same time, you can't ignore what he's doing with public policy.  And if LA is chosen as the 2024 winner, even if he's not in the White House come 2024, that's still 3 1/2 years the IOC will have to be working, at least in some small part, with his government.  At which point the IOC is in bed with Trump and that seems like a relationship that could blow up in all sorts of ways.

I sincerely doubt Trump is so sure this is going to be a win.  Again, if they do win, he can take credit.  If they don't win, then he's been cheering them on from the sideline, so he can wash his hands of it and move on to the next thing.  He's got too much on his plate right now to be focused on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, RuFF said:

Paris does indeed have significantly more to build than LA. Aside from the obvious Athletes Village it's proposing a permanent Swim Stadium and the Media Center. Each of those alone carry a significant price tag and deadline that promised cost overruns if we are to compare any of them to pretty much any previous Olympic Games. Those are typically amongst the most pricey to build and even worse, a permanent swim stadium may lack a legacy, which is why most swim stadiums are built as temporary venues. So don't downplay what Paris has to build, these are all significant. 

And LA's swim stadium is just going to miraculously appear out of thin appear?  Temporary still counts as build and while Paris' swim stadium may or may not leave a legacy, there is literally zero chance that LA could do so.  You say don't downplay what Paris has to build.  Heed your own advice and don't downplay what LA needs to do.  The Coliseum is NOT capable of hosting athletics without investing a lot of money to get it ready, let alone to reset it to it's original form to work again for football.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Los Angeles is a strong candidate, however, going over a few comments I've seen so far, a Paris would have been very possible even if Clinton won the election. I really question how much people actually know Paris or actually visited the city. Infrastructure-wise, they are way way more advanced than most North American cities, yes including New York. Paris is a heavyweight in this competition. Just wanted to put things in perspective for a second

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

The only way LA can win 2024 is if they put Hillary Clinton as chairwoman of this bid!!  Take that, Donald!!

But will she use her personal servers and try to bribe the IOC via her Clinton Foundation? You know Wikileaks are on to her :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paris follows suit and states that it is unistrested in collaborating with LA 2024 or with the IOC on a 2028 Games.

Le Pen is also ahead in the polls right now and wants a "Frexit"

Donald is a colassal asshole and a horrible human beings, but Le Pen and her stance on immigration and refugees is not far behind.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JesseSaenz said:

Paris follows suit and states that it is unistrested in collaborating with LA 2024 or with the IOC on a 2028 Games.

Le Pen is also ahead in the polls right now and wants a "Frexit"

Donald is a colassal asshole and a horrible human beings, but Le Pen and her stance on immigration and refugees is not far behind.

 

http://www.bfmtv.com/politique/presidentielle-selon-un-sondage-macron-et-le-pen-seraient-qualifies-au-second-tour-1098194.html

Translation:

Le Pen leads on the 1st round due to the division of the vote, however she would get destroyed on the 2nd round.

France isn't the United States, they are everything the US aren't, no way she wins

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ansem said:

http://www.bfmtv.com/politique/presidentielle-selon-un-sondage-macron-et-le-pen-seraient-qualifies-au-second-tour-1098194.html

Translation:

Le Pen leads on the 1st round due to the division of the vote, however she would get destroyed on the 2nd round.

France isn't the United States, they are everything the US aren't, no way she wins

Yup.

No Electoral College in France to fuck them in the ass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...