12 hours ago, Nacre said:

As to the "leader of the free world," it is only fair to point out that isolationist conservatives in the USA explicitly do NOT want to be burdened with leading the world. They want to let places like Latin America, Africa and the Middle East deal with their own problems. (For example, in trying to cut off contact between the USA and Muslims.) I have no interest in helping out Trump or his degenerate supporters, but being too interventionist is a charge even I won't make towards American isolationists.

It's a double edged sword. They also do not want any other nation to lead the world. Essentially they want everyone to mind their own business and make money. America becomes involved whenever someone one threatens to lead/control the world. 

Trying to stay out of the political offshoots, but we need to be clear. There are very few " isolationist conservatives" in the US. That wing of the Republican Party was represented by Rand Paul in the last election, who got 0.21% o the Republican primary votes. Instead, Republican voters overwhelming picked a man who wants to know why we can't just go into the Mid East and take countries' oil. A man who openly campaigned for the end of the EU. Isolationist?? No. 

On 2/10/2017 at 2:39 PM, Ansem said:

-Homeland Security says this about 2015

https://www.dhs.gov/immigration-statistics/yearbook/2015/table28

Canada: 13,408,292

Footnote disclaimer: The majority of short-term admissions from Canada and Mexico are excluded. (but we don't know what they means by short-term)

-The discrepancies might be on how both countries calculate their hits at the border, which makes sense. So that 12.6M from the US to Canada on Statistics Canada website is for 1 night or more.

Oh well, I stand corrected. Seems the figures are closer than we both thought

Yeah, but I think that a more telling tale, besides the black-&-white numbers, is that a mere 5% of Americans go up to Canada, while 65% of Canadians come down to the U.S. 

16 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I say you can start by F*cking, yourself, pendejo!   :lol:

Yeah, & with that strap-on dildo! :lol:

2 hours ago, mr.bernham said:

It's a double edged sword. They also do not want any other nation to lead the world. Essentially they want everyone to mind their own business and make money. America becomes involved whenever someone one threatens to lead/control the world. 

Yeah, you're absolutely right in that regard. So the people that claim that they want to be left "alone" really shouldn't be worrying. I don't think that Canada has anything to fret about. But when you're dealing with nut-jobs like the ones in North Korea, that that's a totally different story.

5 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Trying to stay out of the political offshoots, but we need to be clear. There are very few " isolationist conservatives" in the US. That wing of the Republican Party was represented by Rand Paul in the last election, who got 0.21% o the Republican primary votes. Instead, Republican voters overwhelming picked a man who wants to know why we can't just go into the Mid East and take countries' oil. A man who openly campaigned for the end of the EU. Isolationist?? No. 

1. "Thanks" to fracking the USA is now a net oil exporter. Moreover middle eastern countries are perfectly willing to sell oil. So there's little reason to invade other countries for oil.
  2. Tea Party Republicans are indeed generally nativist and isolationist.

It's worth pointing out that the EU itself is a multi-state entity (or multi-national superstate, depending on your POV) rather than a nation state, so people who believe in nationally focused politics rather than internationalism will of course dislike it.

43 minutes ago, FYI said:

It went out on the official Twitter page of the city of Mexico.

No signed letter like with Paris, but the Tweet says it has close relationships with both cities and wished them both a successful bid.

Check out @GobCDMX's Tweet:

Also, if it was just for Miguel Angel Mancera (the mayor of Mexico City), he has shown a closer and friendlier relationship with Anne Hidalgo (the mayor of Paris). Not only both belongs to center-left, but they share more affinities in agendas and prospects.

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎11 at 4:28 PM, FYI said:

Yeah, but I think that a more telling tale, besides the black-&-white numbers, is that a mere 5% of Americans go up to Canada, while 65% of Canadians come down to the U.S. 

and your point is? It's 300M vs 35M people while 90% of Canada are close to the border. Not hard to explain the context of those stats

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎11 at 4:35 PM, FYI said:

I don't think that Canada has anything to fret about.

except for NAFTA we're about to renegociate

7 hours ago, Ansem said:

and your point is? It's 300M vs 35M people while 90% of Canada are close to the border. Not hard to explain the context of those stats

Yeah, sure. 90% of Canadians are near the border, but a lot of the states that they visit the most are no where near the border; like Florida (being the top one), California, Arizona, Nevada, Virginia & Hawaii (which is certainly NO where near "the border"). That trend wouldn't be the same in 'reverse'. 

10 hours ago, FYI said:

Yeah, sure. 90% of Canadians are near the border, but a lot of the states that they visit the most are no where near the border; like Florida (being the top one), California, Arizona, Nevada, Virginia & Hawaii (which is certainly NO where near "the border"). That trend wouldn't be the same in 'reverse'. 

Is it just my imagination, or are Canadians, for some mysterious reason, favouring holiday locations which are hot and not unduly damp?

2 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Is it just my imagination, or are Canadians, for some mysterious reason, favouring holiday locations which are hot and not unduly damp?

Ever heard of the term snowbirds? It's mostly used to refer to Canadians who vacation to warmer areas during their winters. There are a lot of Canadians that travel to Phoenix as snowbirds. That's probably why the nonstop flights to and from Toronto and PHX are pretty affordable, half of what that same flight would cost to and from Houston and Toronto.

14 hours ago, FYI said:

My... Hawaii! We do go deeper in the US and travel abroad. We can afford it, so we might as well! Canadian middle-class is in good health

4 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Nothing mysterious about it. No one likes winters. I used to like Florida, but I prefer Mexico now

1 hour ago, RuFF said:

I find it odd that the Mayor of the worlds most populated city with Mexicans would have a stronger relationship with Paris than it would with Los Angeles, the worlds most populated city with Mexicans outside of Mexico City proper. If I am not wrong there are more Mexicans in Los Angeles than any other Mexican city outside of Mexico City itself. 

Why are you surprise? There's been many article about how the US treatment of Mexico as sparked a wave of nationalism in Mexico. Most Americans don't seem to realize how humiliating all of this is to Mexico and how bad it makes them look worldwide. Why on earth would Mexican officials support anything that has to do with the United States? 

Ruff, my friend, I think you and many Americans seriously overestimate how positively the rest of the world view the United States. Respect is not owed, it's earned and it makes sense for them to support Paris and pursue stronger ties with other countries than the USA. Trump really left them no choice, so you can't be surprised by their reaction

Lmfao - first L.A. has the "most" iranians than any other city outside of "Iran proper". Now L.A. has the "most" Mexicans outside of Mexico "City". Next thing ya know, truff will be arguing that L.A. has the "most" Chinese restaurants outside China "proper". :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

My... Hawaii! We do go deeper in the US and travel abroad. We can afford it, so we might as well! Canadian middle-class is in good health

Boy, you sure love arguing every little aspect of Canada dominance (according to you) don't you. You're just as bad as truff arguing every little nuance about 'sunshine & rainbows' L.A. 

And do you think that for some silly reason Americans don't travel abroad? Americans can "afford" & travel ALL over the world as well. Just not very many of them bother with Canada, though, in comparison. 

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Nothing mysterious about it. No one likes winters. I used to like Florida, but I prefer Mexico now

That's not true. There are lots of people who absolutely love winters & totally hate hot & humid places. Otherwise, I'd doubt that winter sports would be as popular as they are, for example.

4 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

Ever heard of the term snowbirds? It's mostly used to refer to Canadians who vacation to warmer areas during their winters. There are a lot of Canadians that travel to Phoenix as snowbirds. That's probably why the nonstop flights to and from Toronto and PHX are pretty affordable, half of what that same flight would cost to and from Houston and Toronto.

That term is not only used on Canadians, but also for anyone else traveling from the snowbelt; Midwesterners & the Northeast corridor. And particularly those damn New Yorkers (no offense, Q :lol:). 

4 minutes ago, FYI said:

And do you think that for some silly reason Americans don't travel abroad? Americans can "afford" & travel ALL over the world as well. Just not very many of them bother with Canada, though, in comparison. 

Nowhere did I ever implied that Americans couldn't afford to travel, relax LOL

4 minutes ago, FYI said:

Boy, you sure love arguing every little aspect of Canada dominance

Canada dominance? I just said that we have a very healthy middle class. Where did I use the word dominance?

4 minutes ago, FYI said:

(according to you)

How about the New York Times?

The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/upshot/the-american-middle-class-is-no-longer-the-worlds-richest.html?_r=0

The Guardian?

How America's middle class fell behind its Canadian neighbours

https://www.theguardian.com/money/us-money-blog/2014/apr/27/america-canada-middle-class-college-healthcare-taxes

So nope, not according to me at all

28 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Why are you surprise? There's been many article about how the US treatment of Mexico as sparked a wave of nationalism in Mexico. Most Americans don't seem to realize how humiliating all of this is to Mexico and how bad it makes them look worldwide. Why on earth would Mexican officials support anything that has to do with the United States? 

Ruff, my friend, I think you and many Americans seriously overestimate how positively the rest of the world view the United States. Respect is not owed, it's earned and it makes sense for them to support Paris and pursue stronger ties with other countries than the USA. Trump really left them no choice, so you can't be surprised by their reaction

Please careful when you're grouping RuFF and "many Americans" in the same category.  You're talking about someone who has a completely over-inflated sense of self-worth when it comes to the city of Los Angeles, especially so far as their Olympic bid is concerned.  Yes, he gets surprised when anyone fails to see LA in the same glorious light that he does.

1 hour ago, RuFF said:

If I am not wrong there are more Mexicans in Los Angeles than any other Mexican city outside of Mexico City itself. 

You are wrong.. True or False: Los Angeles is the Second Largest Mexican City?