Sports that should added?

I find the hypercrisy of North Americans astounding regarding this news of Cricket, and the blind defence of Baseball. In terms of international appeal - they're about par, although cricket is over 400 years old and has a near fanatical following in the worlds second most populated - and fastest growing - country, India.

Texas- you're willing to bluntly shoot down crickets interest in Olympic status but you will defend Baseball? It's a bit rich.

Ultimately neither should be in the Olympics. They're both immensely dull, team sports.

Cricket should seek permenant Commonwealth Games residence. The countries who would qualify to play cricket at the Olympics are all CGF members anyway.

I find it surprising cricket hasn't made a Commonwealth appearance since KL98. It's not like Manchester, Melbourne or Delhi had a shortage of small Games appropriate cricket venues.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is why cricket is unlikely to come onto the program because it is seen as a CWG sport. Look what happened to field hockey in the vote it was deemed to commonwealth by the IOC. 2022 is the earliest it can make the program, though I'd doubt it if Canada wins.

Yeah, dismissing cricket because it only has appeal in certain countries is dumb. Has anyone looked at the Olympic programme recently? I suppose the best you could say for some sports is that they have equally low appeal across the Globe. Not that I mind that, watching sports I'd never see otherwise is one of the massive appeals of the Games. Nothing wrong with cricket throwing its hat in alongside sports like roller-sports etc. for inclusion though. I'd agree the CWG is a logical first-step though.

And if the IOC is serious about wanting to grab India's attention it's a surefire way of doing so - I don't think that aspect should be easily dismissed.

From a personal perspective, I'd much rather it was there than bloody golf too!

Their biggest problem right now though is the gambling rings which seem to circle the sport in parts of Asia. The IOC wouldn't want to get caught up in that. If baseball went because of drugs issues, cricket might not be the "clean" bat-and-ball sport the IOC would want to replace it.

They could add baseball and cricket at the same time because they could share venues.

I don't see whats wrong with adding what is perceived as a regional sport to the Olympics because: 1.) Being in the Olympics can help spread that sport's reach and 2.) If the region that the sport is popular in has countries that aren't well represented in the Olympics then adding it to the Olympics makes the Olympics more inclusive and complete.

They could add baseball and cricket at the same time because they could share venues.

I don't see whats wrong with adding what is perceived as a regional sport to the Olympics because: 1.) Being in the Olympics can help spread that sport's reach and 2.) If the region that the sport is popular in has countries that aren't well represented in the Olympics then adding it to the Olympics makes the Olympics more inclusive and complete.

NOT going to happen. They both need a female component, especially after Rugby 7s has been added to Rio. If baseball comes back in; it has to be with softball. I've never heard of top women cricket players.

NOT going to happen. They both need a female component, especially after Rugby 7s has been added to Rio. If baseball comes back in; it has to be with softball. I've never heard of top women cricket players.

Baseball is applying as a joint sport with softball (been discussed many times here) Rugby 7's is coming to the SOG as a gender equal sport, and just because you've never heard of top women cricket players, women's cricket exists, had international ruling bodies and competitions, etc. --- in short meets the criteria for Olympic inclusion.

Baseball is applying as a joint sport with softball (been discussed many times here) Rugby 7's is coming to the SOG as a gender equal sport, and just because you've never heard of top women cricket players, women's cricket exists, had international ruling bodies and competitions, etc. --- in short meets the criteria for Olympic inclusion.

It does? Then I stand corrected. But when will they STOP adding sports?

Yep, women's cricket has been growing apace recently. It's still more or less dominated by England and Australia though (despite West Indies getting to the World Cup final at our expense last month), as they're the two countries that fund it well. But I don't think it'd take a lot for this aspect of the sport's inclusion not to be a problem.

Cricket going in would be strange though....England vs the Windies would be Britain vs Barbados or something. :blink:

That is the biggest problem I see with Cricket is the Caribbean nations. At the 1998 Commonwealth Games, they were individually less successful (obviously) leading to South Africa taking the gold, with Australia and NZ following.

This itself is one of the biggest issues to the appeal of the sport at an international multi sport event.

Climbing changed its plans for their possible event in 2020. Instead of making lead climbing olympic only, they are now planning the introduction of a multiple event of their three main disciplines (lead, speed and bouldering) which could be very exciting from my point of view.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/sports/2020-bidding-sports/351-other/1013402-climbing-revamps-bid-for-2020-olympic-games

• 3 weeks later...

We should be flexible when shortlisting 2020 Olympic bid sports says Bach

April 23 - Germany's International Olympic Committee (IOC) vice-president Thomas Bach has claimed that the organisation's ruling Executive Board should be flexible when deciding how many of the 2020 Olympic bid sports will be shortlisted next month at their meeting in St Petersburg.

The eight candidate sports of baseball/softball, karate, roller sports, sport climbing, squash, wakeboarding, wrestling and wushu are campaigning for a single spot on the sports programme at the 2020 Olympic Games.

All eight are due to make their crucial presentations to the IOC Executive Board at their meeting in St Petersburg on May 29, where each bid will be given a 30 minute time slot to make their case.

Following the presentations, the Executive Board will announce which of the eight sports will be shortlisted for the final vote in Buenos Aires on September 9, where the full IOC membership are due to decide on which sport will be included at the 2020 Olympics.

It has been suggested by experts that just three sports would be shortlisted for the Session in Buenos Aires but Bach, the front-runner to be elected as the new IOC President in September, claimed no firm decision has been made.

"The President [Jacques Rogge] has not said how many of the sports will be shortlisted in St Petersburg," Bach told insidethegames.

"It is something that we will most likely discuss following the presentations.

"In my opinion, I don't think we should have an exact number that we should shortlist because I think we should be flexible.

"If the presentations are good enough and the bid has enough strength, I see no reason why we shouldn't take it through to the next stage.

"So it is my opinion that we should show flexibility in shortlisting the sports but obviously this will be something that we will discuss as a Board and the President's wishes will also be very important in deciding this."

insidethegames

Archived