Sports that should added?

I would add cross country running and cyclo cross to the winter games. To give athletes the chance to win medals in winter- and summergames. Also gives a big boost to the participating countries.

What is the point of that? The purpose of the Winter Games is to cater for events that could not reasonably be staged during the Summer Games. Yes, events like ice hockey and speed skating could be staged in the Summer Olympics, but it held in the Winter edition as they require substantial infrastructure in their own right.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Baseball? No thanks. It's a North American centric, team sport. It was only ever included because of LA84 - and its venues have been the most problematic for other host cities since. That was a good e

Wrestling removed? Really? That is ridiculous. It is an ancient Olympic sport. If Karate comes in for 2020, it would have made sense to dump Taekwando. It'll be ridiculous to have both. Still not

Top Ten Countries in the IBAF Men's Rankings: 1. Cuba 2. USA 3. Japan 4. South Korea 5. Taiwan 6. Canada 7. Netherlands 8. Venezuela 9. Italy 10. Australia That doesn't look very North Amer

Baseball Leagues 1st and 3rd Most Attended Sports Leagues in World, Report Says

Professional baseball leagues attracted collectively amongst the highest number of spectators of all professional sports worldwide in 2012, according to a report published by the authoritative website sportingintelligence.com.

Major League Baseball (MLB) in the United States repeats as the most attended sports league in operation, reporting attendance of 74,859,268 fans for its 30 teams during the 2012 season, over 50 million more than any other league.

Japan’s Nippon Professional Baseball League (NPB), whose 12 teams drew in a reported 21,370,226 fans (as indicated in NPB’s report to the International Baseball Federation), was the third most attended sports league in in the world in 2012, finishing behind the National Hockey League (NHL) of 21,470,155 (2011-2012).

The Korea Baseball Organization (KBO) had its fourth consecutive record year since Korea captured the gold medal at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing. KBO exceeded seven million fans (as reported to the IBAF) for the first time ever, placing the league in the top 20 most successfully attended sports leagues of 2012.

Baseball’s global fan attendance maintained its trend of surpassing the 100 million benchmark.

“The worldwide growth and continued strong consumer interest in baseball are validated in these exceptional numbers,” said Riccardo Fraccari, co-President of the World Baseball Softball Confederation. “We congratulate all our partners in the pro leagues for these outstanding results and for their continual efforts to build and develop the global interest and appeal of baseball.”

“Behind these impressive figures are passionate, motivated fans of all ages, backgrounds and cultures, said Don Porter, co-President of the World Baseball Softball Confederation. “Combined with the worldwide interest in and gender opportunity of softball, our collective fanbase makes for a very strong case for added value to the Olympic Programme and the Olympic Movement overall.”

“With the strong support we have received from the professional leagues and our recent merger with softball, we are more confident than ever that we can add significant appeal, value and visibility to the Olympic Games in key markets where professional baseball leagues are extremely well-positioned and have enormous reach,” said Fraccari.

If only the MLB agreed to play at the Olympics...

I think the attendance argument is a little weak because baseball has so many more games each season than the other professional team sports. But yes, having a tournament with MLB players along with the Japanese and Korean leagues would be epic.

Badminton's future in doubt, says gold medallist Taufik

Badminton's Olympic future is in jeopardy due to the continual mid-tournament retirements of leading players, according to Athens Games gold medallist Taufik Hidayat. Last week's $1 million Korean Open, the most lucrative super series event on the schedule, was blighted by a number of match retirements by players in the singles and doubles draws, a now common occurrence on the tour.

Chinese coaches have long been criticised for withdrawing their players to stop them going head-to-head in tournaments, and Indonesian Taufik is concerned the International Olympic Committee could end the sport's 20-year run at the Games.

"The situation has worsened since I started playing badminton at the age of 15. The constant retirements of players do not augur well for the game," the 31-year-old told Malaysian media.

"There is talk that badminton may not make it as a sport in the 2020 Olympics. We must bear in mind that other sports are strongly lobbying to be included.

"I have just started my own centre. It caters for eight or nine-year-olds. Now, I am not sure whether they will get a chance to play in the Olympics."

Squash is one of the sports that is campaigning heavily for a place in the 2020 Olympics alongside karate, the Chinese martial art of wushu, baseball/softball, roller sports, wakeboarding and climbing.

Badminton received a barrage of negative headlines in London last year after four women's doubles pairs played to lose matches in order to get a more favourable draw.

The Badminton World Federation (BWF) disqualified and banned the players involved and Taufik called for the Malaysia-based body to take a similar stance on withdrawals.

"I hope to see BWF amend or strengthen their rules and regulations on players and the tournaments. And the BWF must also make a greater effort to make the sport big in America and Africa," said Taufik.

The Indonesian is in Kuala Lumpur to take part in the ongoing Malaysian Open, one of his final events before he retires in June after his home Indonesia Open.

Eurosport

Hmm. I must admit, I don't really mind badminton in the games. Not that i follow it, and of course they were behaving badly in London, but it's a huge drawcard to popularise the Olympic in SE Asia.

Edited by Sir Rols

Hmm. I must admit, I don't really mind badminton in the games. Not that i follow it, and of course they were behaving badly in London, but it's a huge drawcard to popularise the Olympic in SE Asia.

Altho if squash gets in, that's already 3 sports using net-rackets of one sort or another. I think that's 3 too many.

if it will not be mod pentathlon then one of Badminton/Table tennis will be removed.

You know, I went to see the mens' and women's doubles tennis finals in London, and it was probably my favourite event I attended. Still, like golf, I just feel it shouldn't be in the games when the Olympics is not the pinnacle of the sport.

And, as I said, I like the mix of sport to cater to the different regions of the world. I quite like how badminton and table tennis are big deals for Asian viewers. I'd keep both of them and drop tennis in favour of squash.

And, as I said, I like the mix of sport to cater to the different regions of the world. I quite like how badminton and table tennis are big deals for Asian viewers. I'd keep both of them and drop tennis in favour of squash.

Really?

I would drop table tennis because it still leaves Asia with Badminton. In 2016 all 4 gold medals will go to China in table tennis. Something I can't say with certainty will happen in badminton.

Really?

I would drop table tennis because it still leaves Asia with Badminton. In 2016 all 4 gold medals will go to China in table tennis. Something I can't say with certainty will happen in badminton.

See, I don't have a problem with that. It's not like the west is starved of olympic events they dominate in.

See, I don't have a problem with that. It's not like the west is starved of olympic events they dominate in.

Name one sport where every single gold medal goes to a Western Country? Syncrho swimming is another one but technically Russia isn't a Western country

Well, the west already does pretty well in most of the blue riband sports like swimming, athletics, gymnastics, rowing, canoeing, fencing, cycling etc etc. I've got no probs with throwing Asia a few bones - more power (and Oly spots) for the likes of Sepak Takraw, Wushu etc IMO.

I know, for example, that a lot of Asians say the amount of medals in swimming is excessive, and stacked to boost the medal standings of the western swimming nations (a claim that as an Aussie, of course, I reject ;) ).

Edited by Sir Rols

Well, the west already does pretty well in most of the blue riband sports like swimming, athletics, gymnastics, rowing, canoeing, fencing, cycling etc etc. I've got no probs with throwing Asia a few bones - more power (and Oly spots) for the likes of Sepak Takraw, Wushu etc IMO.

I know, for example, that a lot of Asians say the amount of medals in swimming is excessive, and stacked to boost the medal standings of the western swimming nations (a claim that as an Aussie, of course, I reject ;) ).

You are correct most if not all are Western dominated, but Western is the key word. These sports all had gold medalists from a wide range including China. Table tennis continues to get gold medals from China only. That is why badminton should be left due to many Asian countries being good.

• 2 weeks later...

Jacques Rogge: Yes, it is very difficult. It’s a big responsibility for the IOC to review the 26 sports that participated in London and to go to 25 sports. As you know we have already decided to add rugby and golf into the program so to get to 28 sports, we need a core of 25 and then one extra sport to get to 28 that will be chosen from the other sports.

It is not an easy task, but as you mentioned before it’s what we want for the concept going forward. But the program cannot be standard and conservative forever; we need an injection of new blood in the program.

Means a sport will be dropped and a new sport added.

Really?

I couldn't agree more.

Well, I've already said many times that the only sport I'd remove as of now is modern pentathlon. However, if it was between badminton and table tennis, I'd definitely vote table tennis off for that reason. Badminton can give medals to countries like Malaysia or Indonesia that have it very difficult in any other sport, whereas table tennis does not (apart from the fact that I personally find badminton much more interesting than table tennis).

Anyway, I hope it will be karate voted in, although I wouldn't like taekwondo to be removed either.

• Like 1

Jacques Rogge: Yes, it is very difficult. It’s a big responsibility for the IOC to review the 26 sports that participated in London and to go to 25 sports. As you know we have already decided to add rugby and golf into the program so to get to 28 sports, we need a core of 25 and then one extra sport to get to 28 that will be chosen from the other sports.

It is not an easy task, but as you mentioned before it’s what we want for the concept going forward. But the program cannot be standard and conservative forever; we need an injection of new blood in the program.

Means a sport will be dropped and a new sport added.

someone help me to understand. Since he says "need a core of 25 and then one extra sport", then why the sports are 28 and not 26?

someone help me to understand. Since he says "need a core of 25 and then one extra sport", then why the sports are 28 and not 26?

They're adopting a bit of flexibility to the sports program. Baseball and softball were dropped from the roster for London, but no new sports were added in time to replace them for 2012 (though Rio will see the debut of golf and rugby to replace them and bring the list up to 28). Now they are looking this year to drop one more sport, and will evaluate from the likes of karate, squash, roller sports, climbing etc to replace that one less sports spot for 2020.

I'm not 100 per cent sure, but I think this is a formula they're planning to take every four years now.

IOC plans to cut one sport in February, add one in May

BERLIN, Jan 30 (Reuters) - One Olympic sport will learn next month that its Games future is in jeopardy when the International Olympic Committee (IOC) meets to decide the shape of the summer Games from 2020.

The IOC's executive board, meeting in Lausanne on Feb. 12 and 13, will pick a core of 25 summer Olympic sports that will be put to a single vote at their session in Argentina in September.

"The IOC in February is expected to make a recommendation on the 25 core sports to be put up for a vote in Buenos Aires," an IOC official told Reuters on Wednesday.

The organisation will recommend one sport to be cut from the original list of 26. Rugby and golf, which are being added to the Games from the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics, will not part of the process.

The decisions of the executive board will need to be ratified by the session in Buenos Aires but it is unlikely that the board's recommendation would be overturned.

The IOC is eager to revamp the Games sports programme in an effort to keep up with the times and attract younger fans and sponsors as well as to rein in the size of the Games and keep the number of summer sports at a maximum of 28.

There are seven candidate sports for a place on the programme with baseball and softball, off the Games since Beijing in 2008, making a joint bid for re-entry.

Chinese martial arts sport wushu, sport climbing, roller sports, squash, karate and wakeboarding are also in the running for an Olympic spot.

The sport recommended by February's meeting to be dropped will automatically become a candidate sport, with the IOC then recommending one of the eight bidding sports for inclusion at their board meeting in late May in St Petersburg.

Olympic acceptance gives a sport instant publicity and increased funding while Games exclusion, especially for less-popular sports, translates into money problems and severely limited global exposure.

Several Olympic sports are reportedly at greater risk, with modern pentathlon and taekwondo among those mentioned often.

Modern pentathlon, introduced by the founder of the modern Olympics, Pierre de Coubertin, seems to have most mentions when it comes to dropping a sport.

The federation has been trying hard to increase the sport's appeal to broadcasters and spectators by cutting events down to one day and they are eager to take it a step further with a single venue hosting all disciplines in Rio.

Taekwondo is seen by some as a less popular martial arts alternative to karate.

Reuters

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/thomson-reuters/130130/olympics-ioc-plans-cut-one-sport-february-add-one-may

Keep taekwondo in Olympics, South Korean President-elect urges Rogge

February 2 - South Korea's President-elect Park Geun-hye has taken the opportunity during a meeting with Jacques Rogge to urge him to keep taekwondo as part of the Olympic programme.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is due later this month to announce which sport will be removed from its programme of 26 core sports.

Whichever sport is chosen is expected to be dropped from the Olympic programme after Rio 2016 and be replaced by one of the seven sports bidding to join the Games.

Taekwondo was among the sports originally thought to be among the most vulnerable but following a successful London 2012 those fears have receded.

But Park, who is due to become South Korea's first female President when she replaces Lee Myung-bak on February 25, nevertheless used her first meeting with Rogge to emphasise the importance to her country of the ancient sport that has its roots here remaining on the Olympic programme.

"Taekwondo is suitable for youth education as it teaches a sense of respect along with sportsmanship ahead of techniques," Park said during a meeting with Rogge.

The IOC President diplomatically did not promise Park anything ahead of the IOC Executive Board meeting in Lausanne on February 12 and 13 but told he respected its "sipirit", according to an official.

http://m.insidethegames.biz/sports/summer/taekwondo/1012698-keep-taekwondo-in-olympics-south-korean-president-elect-urges-rogge

• 2 weeks later...

AP Source: IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics

Updated: February 12, 2013, 5:35 AM ET
Associated Press

LAUSANNE, Switzerland -- An official familiar with the decision says IOC leaders have dropped wrestling from
the program for the 2020 Olympics.

In a surprise decision Tuesday, the offficial tells The Associated Press that the IOC executive board
decided to retain modern pentathlon and remove wrestling instead.

The official spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the decision hadn't been announced yet.

The IOC board reviewed the 26 sports on the current Olympic program. Eliminating one sport allows the International Olympic Committee to add a new sport to the program later this year.

AP

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=oly&id=8939149

Wrestling removed? Really? That is ridiculous. It is an ancient Olympic sport. If Karate comes in for 2020, it would have made sense to dump Taekwando. It'll be ridiculous to have both.

Still not happy with the inclusion of Golf. It is as elite and Olympic-irrelevant as you can get.

• Like 2

wonder if its both forms of wrestling that are gone. I also belove they go on to the list of sports trying to get into the 2020 games so could only be out for a few months.

I also think that Golf should never have got into the Olympics.