Youth Olympic Games 2018 : the official bidders

SwissO

Guadalajara? Well its a great city, i really like the atmosphere during the Pan Ams but VENUES ARE TOO SPREAD!!!! I mean from the Omnilife stadium cluster (atheltes village and ceremonies) to Scotiabank Aquatics Center and the Telcel Tennis Stadium there where 20 minutes and where the closest ones... The Unidad Lopez Mateos (badminton, squash, judo, roller skating) it was 2 hours from the stadium... I think they must change their cenue plan to a more compact one, the problem is they used all the municipalities suring Guadalajara... Ceremonies (Zapopan), Badminton (Tlaquepaque)... When beside the stadium there was a lot of space.... :lol: still i want somehow Guadalaja to win cuz its cheap to fly there ;) and we are Latin countries we must help each other hahaha

Really good point with Roterdam... Even i'm thinkg now they must have that advantage ;)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guadalajara? Well its a great city, i really like the atmosphere during the Pan Ams but VENUES ARE TOO SPREAD!!!! I mean from the Omnilife stadium cluster (atheltes village and ceremonies) to Scotiabank Aquatics Center and the Telcel Tennis Stadium there where 20 minutes and where the closest ones... The Unidad Lopez Mateos (badminton, squash, judo, roller skating) it was 2 hours from the stadium... I think they must change their cenue plan to a more compact one, the problem is they used all the municipalities suring Guadalajara... Ceremonies (Zapopan), Badminton (Tlaquepaque)... When beside the stadium there was a lot of space.... :lol: still i want somehow Guadalaja to win cuz its cheap to fly there ;) and we are Latin countries we must help each other hahaha

Really good point with Roterdam... Even i'm thinkg now they must have that advantage ;)

Two hours?? :o

I was just doing my research on netherlands and found that apparently Amsterdam or rotterdam are interested in the 2028 summer olympics, 100 years after the 1928 Amsterdam olympics, will they go for 2028? if so amsterdam or rotterdam?

Yup, the Netherlands wants to bid Amsterdam 2028

Maybe this could also be some kind of test for the 2028 bid? If the IOC wants Amsterdam/Rotterdam to host in 2028, they may not vote for Rotterdam. If Rotterdam wins the Youth Olympics, it might be a pointer for the Netherlands to have no chance for 2028.

• 2 weeks later...

For reals!!! Two hours!! The traffic sucks!!! And its too long the distance cuz they are in difftent municipalites... (Zapopan and Tlaquepaque)

you're exaggerating!

Guadalajara is a powerful city!

Guadalajara has the experience Pan American games in 2011, where participated more than 6000 athletes in 40 sports and over for 17 days of competition.

Now, they have the stadiums, and they have the logistics, and they also have the experience and the best games in the history of america.

Successful project of the Pan Am games in 2011, arranged and adapted for YOG 2018.

see you!

But we all know Rio 2007 was better, Raña is a Mexican...

I'm not exagerating, traffic around 7pm is really hard!! I think Guadalajara shhould build more venues near Omnilife Stadium to have a more compact concept, and there's a lot of space there too!!!

Come on Deawebo, you are really exaggerating or lying. It is true that a nearly 5 million people city gets traffic jams during rush hours. St. Petersburg, Athens, Bogota, Pusan, Kuala Lumpur and even perfect Singapore suffers such thing, but two hours from Zapopan to Tlaquepaque? That is bullshit! It may happen only if there is a terrible hurricane near the Jaliscian coast as it happened one day before the 2011 Pan-Am, but probably you were unlucky that time.

In the other hand, it is easy to suggest where to build sport venues and stadia, but where the Omnilife stadium is located is a very sensitive area ecologically talking.

Guadalajara is a very experienced city organising such event since the first Pan-Am in 1955 being a co-host city, also prove their capability during the XIX Olympiad of 1968, the 1975 Pan-Am, the 1979 Universiade and two FIFA World Cups. And of course the 2011 Pan-Am. There is no doubt they could deliver great games, but what I'm afraid is the political atmosphere. Let's see how everything results after July 1st Presidential elections and all the other powers they have to vote for, and then we can talk about this aspiration to take the Olympic rings after 50 years!

Guadalajara is the only city in Latin America (out of the 3 candidates) capable to host the games, but they need to make a more compact plan, i'm only saying that, and yes it was a wendsday, 2 days before the games opening! Perhaps i don't know the exact time cuz i felt asleep in the bus while we were in the traffic...

And c'mon... Buenos Aires city is totally broken and the Argentine Govt. is finding fights with half of the world...

If we had a BidIndex for this race, I would say Buenos Aires is 5 out 100...

• 5 months later...

Claudia Bokel to chair Working Group for 3rd Summer Youth Olympic Games in 2018

The President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), Jacques Rogge, today announced the composition of the Working Group which will assess the six candidatures for the third edition of the Summer Youth Olympic Games (YOG) in 2018.

The six cities applying to host the 2018 YOG are: Buenos Aires (ARG), Glasgow (GBR), Guadalajara (MEX), Medellin (COL), Poznan (POL) and Rotterdam (NED).

The IOC Working Group will be chaired by Olympic silver medallist and world champion fencer Claudia Bokel. The German athlete is also an IOC member and Chairperson of the IOC Athletes’ Commission. The Working Group will comprise a National Olympic Committee representative, Guido de Bondt, Secretary General, Belgian NOC; a representative from the International Federations, Andrew Ryan, Director, ASOIF; an athlete representative, Yumilka Ruiz Luaces, IOC member, IOC Athletes’ Commission member, Olympic volleyball champion; and Gilbert Felli, Olympic Games Executive Director; who will be joined by IOC representatives Christophe Dubi, Sports Director; Antoine Goetschy, Head of YOG Coordination; Patrick Stalder, Head of Creative Services and CEP; and Toshio Tsurunaga, NOC Relations Programme Manager.

Together they will analyse each city’s candidature file, which will be received by the IOC by the 15 October 2012 deadline. The Working Group will then submit a report to the IOC Executive Board, which will identify which YOG 2018 candidate cities will be shortlisted for further evaluation at its meeting in Lausanne on 12-13 February 2013. Following further assessment and video conferences with each shortlisted candidate city, a report shall be submitted to the IOC members, who will then elect the host city at their meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland, on 4 July 2013.

IOC

• 2 weeks later...

Does someone hear or read that Poznan 2018 has decided to cancel its bid ?

Yes, just come across this article (google translated)

Poznan not organize youth Olympic Games in 2018

Poznan give up the fight to host the Youth Olympic Games in 2018. On Monday, during a special session of the city council did not agree to allocate 77 million from the budget for the organization of the event.

The resolution to grant a warranty city councilors voted only four, 27 were against.

There are no financial guarantees from the city-organizer means that Poznan does not meet one of the main requirements that should include documentation (warranty city, municipal and government). In this situation, the capital of Wielkopolska candidature will not be considered at all by the International Olympic Committee.

Poznań nie zorganizuje młodzieżowych IO w 2018 roku

Poznań zrezygnuje z walki o organizację młodzieżowych igrzysk olimpijskich w 2018 roku. W poniedziałek podczas nadzwyczajnej sesji radni miasta nie zgodzili się na przeznaczenie 77 milionów złotych z budżetu na organizację imprezy.

http://samorzady.pb....-io-w-2018-roku

Archived