Youth Olympic Games 2018 : the official bidders

SwissO

So to date we official have in the race :

- Glasgow, Great Britain

- Rotterdam, Netherland

- Guadalajara, Mexico

- Buenos Aires, Argentina

- Medellin, Colombia (not totally sure if it is trully official !?)

What else ? Sweden ? Russia ???

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All you need to do is declare yourself interested you don't even have to put forward a city.

No ! NOC has to confirm today the city they choose to bid

The 2 first steps of the IOC YOG 2018 procedure :

NOCs to inform the IOC of the name of a YOG Candidate City : 1 March 2012

Signature of the YOG Candidature Procedure : 15 March 2012

the official list

Six NOCs apply to host the 3rd Summer Youth Olympic Games in 2018

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is pleased to announce that six National Olympic Committees (NOCs) have submitted applications for Candidate Cities to host the 3rd Summer Youth Olympic Games (YOG) in 2018. These NOCs are, in alphabetical order: Argentina (Buenos Aires), Colombia (Medellín), Great Britain (Glasgow), Mexico (Guadalajara), Netherlands (Rotterdam) and Poland (Poznań).

IOC President Jacques Rogge said: “We are delighted with the high level of interest shown in hosting the 3rd Summer Youth Olympic Games in 2018. It is a shining endorsement of just how successful the inaugural summer (Singapore 2010) and winter (Innsbruck 2012) editions were and reflects how the popularity, excitement and awareness surrounding the YOG continue to build at an impressive pace.”

The next deadline for the bid process is 15 March 2012, when the NOCs, Bid Committees and YOG Candidate Cities must submit the signed 2018 YOG Candidature Procedure.

IOC

Rotterdam has recently been a successful host of many world championships (gymnastics, table tennis, etc...). I will make them my favorite.

Glasgow too has hosted many world sporting events. The Champions league and UEFA Cup Finals, various world and european championships, Not to mention the upcoming Commonwealth Games in 2014 and 2015 World Gymnastics. So i dont think you should make Rotterdam the favourite based on that

I think Glasgow is the favourite followed by Rotterdam. Its time a Summer Youth Games went to Europe. However if the IOC is serious about expanding to countries that will never host the Olympics in the near future then I would say Guadalajara should be given a hard look. It was the best attended Pan American Games ever.

I prefer Rotterdam. The Netherlands has a strong sporting tradition and unlike the UK cannot host the main Olympics. I am not entirely sure there is that much will for the games to go to Europe, given the winter version will be in Europe for at least 3 rounds. So Buenos Aires and Guadalajara stand a reasonable chance. And you cannot use London as an agrument against Glasgow, given Nanjing won in the same timeframe from Beijing, with a further hinderance of Singapore in 2010.

I would say, as of right now Guadalajara, Buenos Aires, Rotterdam and Glasgow stand a an equally reasonable chance of winning, it will come done to their bids and their lobbying.

I prefer Rotterdam. The Netherlands has a strong sporting tradition and unlike the UK cannot host the main Olympics. I am not entirely sure there is that much will for the games to go to Europe, given the winter version will be in Europe for at least 3 rounds. So Buenos Aires and Guadalajara stand a reasonable chance. And you cannot use London as an agrument against Glasgow, given Nanjing won in the same timeframe from Beijing, with a further hinderance of Singapore in 2010.

I would say, as of right now Guadalajara, Buenos Aires, Rotterdam and Glasgow stand a an equally reasonable chance of winning, it will come done to their bids and their lobbying.

Interesting, I agree with the Rotterdam assessment. 3 Cycles? What makes you say that? There can always be a USA bid for the 2020 Games.

The USOC is not going to bid for a WYOG. If the USOC was interested at all in the YOG they would have let Raleigh-Durham bid for 2018. Canada has no interest at the moment either (eventually when Quebec City finally catches a clue). The Chinese have already hosted one, the Koreans and Japanese are preparing for or trying to win a big show. So 2020 is going to be left to Europe again.

The USOC is not going to bid for a WYOG. If the USOC was interested at all in the YOG they would have let Raleigh-Durham bid for 2018. Canada has no interest at the moment either (eventually when Quebec City finally catches a clue). The Chinese have already hosted one, the Koreans and Japanese are preparing for or trying to win a big show. So 2020 is going to be left to Europe again.

Interesting analysis. Maybe a Western European bid can still win and allow Europe to host 2020 with Sofia for example.

Archived