Youth Olympic Games 2018 : the official bidders

SwissO

As much as I am a big Olympic fan. I must honestly say that this election was not even on my radar and did not even know it had taken place until the winner had been announced. I guess I'm just not into the YOGs.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations, Argentina!

IOC is truly in blind love with South America!

Now, let's fight for the first Winter Games in the continent, hello Chile, are you listening?

No doubt, BA will do a fantastic job and a wonderful and interesting contrast to Rio 2016.

You bet!

As much as I am a big Olympic fan. I must honestly say that this election was not even on my radar and did not even know it had taken place until the winner had been announced. I guess I'm just not into the YOGs.

Same here. I just realized the election was today, and I had no clue about it.

Anyway, congratulations to Buenos Aires. I'm a bit surprised to see Glasgow eliminated so early, but I guess it was too soon after the 2012 Olympics and the 2014 CWG

A bit of a surprise. Not that I've been following this race very closely, but about the only thing I did note was that BA got a pretty poor eval report compared to Glasgow and Medellin. And too soon after London for Glasgow? I didn't realise Nanjing was now no longer part of 2008 host China. Oh well, I'm not displeased for Argentina. Not really much of anything ... these are the YOGs after all... yawn.

And an old member sends his condolences to Glasgow:

paul taylor

Glasgow's failure is due to their blindness of what indeed the Youth Olympics is supposed to be. One of the main planks of Rogues creation is that Youth between 14 to 18 must experience cultures in host cities that they will probably not experience in their athletic careers. Glasgow is basically Europe with it own small twists and Europe is were most of the careers of Amateur Athletes occur anyways. Glasgow 2018 playing the safe hands BS like Glasgow 2014 did does not work with the IOC. The fact is Abuja , Nigeria was lobbied on the Highest levels to submit a bid on the 2018 YOGs and this kept out some European Cities who knew the YOGS are not going to Europe when faced with developing world candidates. The IOC probably wished for Abuja 2018 YOG and South Africa city 2020 for the Summer Games. Both did not occur of course. Hey that safe hand smear Glasgow tried again looks pretty bad considering Medellin ( at high elevation and known for the Narco Cocaine Capital of the World in the 80s and 90s ) 19 more votes . THankfully the IOC is a bit more intelligent then the Commonwealth Games Federation.

insidethegames

Reading La Nacion newspaper from Buenos Aires, they said Estadio Monumental de Nunez (the one who hosted troubled Copa America finals in 2011 when photographers got cameras robbed inside the field) probably will host ceremonies and Bombonera Stadium the soccer matches...

Gosh, it will be worse than I thought...

Interesting to note, that it was widely believed BA had the worst presentation out of the 3. However the president of ANOC who is from Asia favoured the bid and had influence over the result. If he is favouring Tokyo, they might head to the victory in September.

My official congratulations to the Buenos Aires 2018 Bid Team and to the people of Argentina for winning the right to host the 3rd Youth Olympic Summer Games in 2018.

Interesting to note, that it was widely believed BA had the worst presentation out of the 3. However the president of ANOC who is from Asia favoured the bid and had influence over the result. If he is favouring Tokyo, they might head to the victory in September.

You mean Ahmad Al-Fahad Al-Sabah who is also the President of the Olympic Council of Asia and a member of the royal family of Kuwait.

photo_anoc_and_ioc_pt_2(1).jpg

It was about lobbying .. Ahmad al-Fahad
this man did a lot in Asia .. he has a lot of relations and know how the elections works
in May this year he was the man behind the election of Salman Al Khalifa as AFC president
he had a very bad relation with Mohammed ibn Hammam the former president of the AFC
and was working against the other candidate Mohammed Al Serkal of the UAE who is a friend of Mohammed ibn Hammam and worked for 20 years in the AFC
I know he has influence in the Asian sports federations and the FIFA but that he can also do the same on the IOC stage that's new for me even if he is the OCA president since 1991
from eltiempo originally in Spanish translated by Google.

Resigned, the Colombian delegation left the Beaulieu Lausanne, the convention center where Wednesday was extraordinary assembly of the International Olympic Committee, 15 minutes after Buenos Aires losing to host the Youth Olympic Games-2018.

The duel between the two South American candidates as Argentina went on to win the capital for ten-vote margin, 49-39, after a first round in which Glasgow, the third candidate, was eliminated. But apparently, the election was lost earlier.

"There were many things in the past two days, many movements that hurt us. I take responsibility for the good and the bad. I've spent three years of my life to talk to the 115 members, "said Andres Botero, director of COLDEPORTES.

The weight of the choice of Buenos Aires it was Sheikh Ahmad Al Fahad Al-Sabah, Kuwait, president of the Association of National Olympic Committees. Just arrived in Lausanne began pushing the nomination.

Colombia realized and tried to convince him, with President Juan Manuel Santos involved, the importance of the Games to Medellin.

The talk took place in a private ceremony organized by the IOC on Wednesday night for the delegations of the three finalist cities. In the presentation, Buenos Aires and Glasgow appealed to emotions and emphasized the issue of security. The Medellin did not overlook the emotional, but it was more technical.

The first vote was swift: 40 votes for Buenos Aires, Medellin and 32 to 13 for Glasgow. Outside, the Scots, and outside the classroom, delegates.

And in the middle looked like it had not moved any vow: Andres Botero journalists attended and spoke with one of the delegates from Spain.

The Argentines were divided into two groups. And just rang the bell to return to the salon, was the last to enter the sheik. Everything was accomplished.

Buenos Aires's announcement came six minutes ahead of schedule, at 3:34 pm. President Juan Manuel Santos said Medellin did everything to keep the seat.

But the Colombian Olympic Committee, Baltazar Medina, went further.

"The decision-making is not linked to the study content judicious proposals. The people who come here come and set a vote, "he said.

http://www.eltiempo.com/deportes/atletismo/medellin-juegos-olimpicos-de-la-juventud-del-2018-andres-botero-_12910775-4

Archived