Youth Olympic Games 2018 : the official bidders

SwissO

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is rumored that Guadalajara will also drop out !

So actually, if I'm not wrong, the confirmed ones (ie, the one with official financial governmental backing) are Buenos Aires, Glasgow & Medellin.

I did not hear anything regarding Rotterdam... nothing regarding the guarantees, even nothing regarding their plans !

So actually, if I'm not wrong, the confirmed ones (ie, the one with official financial governmental backing) are Buenos Aires, Glasgow & Medellin.

I did not hear anything regarding Rotterdam... nothing regarding the guarantees, even nothing regarding their plans !

Actually yes, there's the rumor... Nothing confirmed yet. But I wouldn't be surprised. The recent governor made a clear statement: "It was an irresponsability for that huge debt and scandals of corruption".

Glasgow is still the favorite, but I have a good feeling in Rotterdam

Glasgow is still the favorite, but I have a good feeling in Rotterdam

As I said, no words on Rotterdam.... I think the other favorite with Glasgow is Medellin ! Both bids have strong international advisors behind them.

Apparently Guadalajara got the guarantees and the bid books are actually on their way to Lausanne....

Medellín submits Candidature File for 2018 Youth Olympic Games on deadline day

Monday, 15 October 2012

By Tom Degun

Medellin_2018.jpg

October 15 - The Medellín 2018 Youth Olympic Games bid team has delivered its Candidature File to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) at its headquarters in Lausanne with today marking the deadline for submissions.

Medellín is up against Buenos Aires, Glasgow, Guadalajara and Rotterdam in the race to host the event and the Columbian city handed in the file after holding a public ceremony last week (pictured above) to celebrate the completion of the dossier.

A delegation from Medellín 2018, headed by bid chief executive Juan Camilo Quintero Medina, delivered the document to the IOC in Lausanne and expressed its confidence in the application.

"We believe the strong technical documentation and the concrete guarantees we submitted today will give IOC members and future Youth Olympic Games competitors the confidence that Medellín can host excellent, unique Youth Olympic Games in 2018," said Quintero.

"The entire Government and its institutions have provided more than 170 guarantees as part of their commitment to stage the Games in Medellín."

images-2012-10-medellin-550x413.jpg

Medellín 2018 bid chief executive Juan Camilo Quintero Medina led the team that handed in the Candidate File at the IOC headquarters in Lausanne

Back in Medellín, Mayor Aníbal Gaviria Correa also gave his endorsement for the bid.

"The entire city wishes we could personally go to Lausanne to cheer for the submission of the dossier, but we know our Candidature File will convey to the IOC what a perfect fit Medellín is for the Youth Olympic Games," he said.

"We dream of sharing our success through staging compact, exciting Youth Olympic Games in a city which has been transformed by sport."

Last week, Glasgow became the first city to hand in their Candidature File, while Buenos Aires, Guadalajara and Rotterdam are all scheduled to hand in their documents before the deadline closes tonight.

The IOC will reveal tomorrow (October 16) whether all five followed through on their plans but it is unlikely that any of the five will drop out, despite Poznań in Poland withdrawing from the race last week due to a lack of financial guarantees.

Five YOG 2018 candidate cities submit their Candidature Files

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) today announced that it has received the Candidature Files of five Candidate Cities bidding to host the 2018 Youth Olympic Games. Buenos Aires (ARG), Glasgow (GBR), Guadalajara (MEX), Medellin (COL) and Rotterdam (NED)* all delivered their files by the deadline of 15 October.

An IOC Working Group, chaired by IOC member Claudia Bokel, will now analyse the Candidature Files and prepare a report that will be submitted to the IOC Executive Board. On the basis of this report, the IOC Executive Board will decide which Cities shall be shortlisted for further evaluation at its meeting in Lausanne on 12-13 February 2013. Following further assessment and video conferences with the shortlisted Candidate Cities, a report shall be submitted to the IOC members, who will then elect the host city at their meeting in Lausanne on 4 July 2013.

Please note that the IOC will not release the Candidature Files, but has informed the Candidate Cities that they can make their Files public and post them on their websites if they so wish, as of today, 16 October.

* Candidate cities in alphabetical order

IOC

2018 Candidates official websites

Glasgow

http://www.glasgow2018.com/

Guadalajara

http://www.guadalaja...g.mx/index.html

Medellin

http://www.medellin2018.org/

just one page ?

Rotterdam

http://www.rotterdam2018.nl/793/Home

No update since July?

Buenos Aires

No website?

I just found this page in the official city website

http://www.buenosair...didaturajoj2018

---------------------------

Glasgow is the best one with some information, countdown, pics, videos . twitter and facebook

Guadalajara nice information about the city and sporting events they have hosted/will host and about their candidature for the games

Medellin they have facebook page with a lot of pics of Medellin citizens supporting the candidacy of their city but the website is just a one page without any information

Rotterdam information about the bid team and sponsors but nothing about the city or its plans

last update in the news section was in July and last update in the Activities section in early September

Buenos Aires 2018 page nothing interesting and nothing about the city plans or its bid just news about people supporting the event to be in their city

No bid books for download from any of them

I hope Glasgow will release the bid book soon

Guadalajara has an incomplete version of the bid book in their site

maybe they will release the full version soon

the other cities I don't know

Medellin, Rotterdam websites needs a lot of updates

Buenos Aires don't have any and I don't think a single page with some news in the city website is enough!

Rotterdam 2018 Youth Olympic Bid Still Awaits Government Guarantees

Rotterdam will be forced to abandon its 2018 Youth Olympic bid if a new coalition government does not commit the necessary financial guarantees.

Rotterdam submitted its bid book to the IOC by the Oct. 15 deadline without the guarantees. Buenos Aires, Glasgow, Guadalajara and Medellin also handed over bid dossiers said to contain financial commitments from their respective governments.

“It was not possible to have the guarantees. We told that to the IOC,” bid leader Jos van der Vegt told Around the Rings following a press conference in the Dutch port city Thursday.

Following the general election last month, the People's Party for Freedom and Democracy (VVD) and the Labour Party (PvdA) have been locked in talks aimed at forming a new government.

Van der Vegt said the IOC had approved a request from Rotterdam 2018 chiefs well ahead of the bid book submission to delay delivery of financial guarantees by January at the latest.

“We said to the IOC ‘are you going to give us a chance, two or three months, to deliver all the guarantees. They didn’t say no,” he said.

Dutch NOC president André Bolhuis told ATR that he hoped a coalition government was in place by mid-November to underwrite the total cost of the bid.

“I think they will support it [with financial guarantees], because it [YOG] is a fantastic event for the youth, for the Netherlands, for sport,” he said.

Rotterdam 2018’s slogan “Let’s rock, Let’s move, Let’s sport” was also unveiled at the news conference today, messaging aimed at promotinga healthy lifestyle among young people.

full article: ATR

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived