Youth Olympic Games 2018 : the official bidders

SwissO

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to think Medellin will land the games...

I think the IOC envisioned the YOG specifically for cities like Medellin and Glasgow. While I'm sure B.A. would host an outstanding Games, I think its size might make it seem like its a teenager playing on a children's playground - this might backfire. As my original point was, I think B.A. is capable of staging an actual Summer Olympics in the future - something extremely unimaginable for the other two. This alone could be a handicap to B.A's 2018 bid.

For that reason, I'd most like to see Medellin get 2018. Glasgow would be amazing too, but the Olympics themselves were in the UK just last year, and Glasgow will host next years Commonwealth Games, so I'd like to see somewhere new stage something substantial.

Glasgow has everything needed and is perhaps the strongest competior, but as you said, the UK hosted SOG last year... Medellin has very good facilities (not a fan of Anastasio Girandot Stadium) but the rest of the venues served during the 2010 Soouth American Games and Medellin did it great.

BA is an amazing city, but they should try on Pan Am Games. I'm feeling they will be like Moscow was for the inaugural YOG edition: world class city but the IOC is looking for something else.

Buenos Aires has the best transportation system of the candidates. Olympic history in Argentina is more traditional than in Colombia.

BA is an amazing city, but they should try on Pan Am Games.

Yes, at least it will be better than La Punta's rare bid :(

I guess BA is the best in terms of everything for being such a huge city. But as someone posted before, the YOG are conceived for cities like Medellin. I really hope Colombia would get awarded soon, then other smaller cities and countries that can't afford the massive SOG can bid and get benefits than the ones which can host the Summer Olympics.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Who will host the 2018 Youth Olympic Games? Just one month to go!
04/06/2013
YOG_Eval_BIG.jpg
The countdown to the announcement of the host city of the 3rd Summer Youth Olympic Games is officially on!
Yes, in just 30 days we will know whether we will be heading to Buenos Aires (Argentina), Glasgow (Great Britain) or Medellin (Columbia) to watch a new generation of YOG athletes compete in 2018.
In preparation for the decision, today the International Olympic Committee (IOC) released the report of the IOC Evaluation Commission.
Then, on 4 July, the IOC members will attend a special meeting to be held in Lausanne, Switzerland, where they will vote for the host city, after watching a final presentation by each of the cities.
And you will be able to catch all the action as it unfolds live on Olympic.org.
So stay tuned for all the latest news and keep on spreading the YOG spirit!

• 3 weeks later...

It was 5 km with more than 50000 participants.

Over 50,000 residents gathered in the city centre on a typical sunny day in Medellín to participate in the official Olympic Day 5K run – the biggest ever held in Colombia – and to give a visible sign to the international community that the city is in full support and ready to welcome the Youth Olympic Games in 2018.

I have a feeling the IOC will recognise this, and award the 2018 Games to Medellin. Even though Glasgow falls into this category somewhat, it is not exactly short of "inspiring youth" following London and its own upcoming Commonwealth Games next year.

Cities like B.A. bidding for the YOG just look like adults participating in a children's swimming carnival. It's not worth it - B.A. will likely be the next South American SOG host after 2016, so it should just chill, and wait a few decades for the real thing.

Colombian President to lead Medellin delegation for 2018 Summer Youth Olympic vote

July 2 - The importance to Colombia of Medellín's bid to host the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics will be illustrated here on Thursday (July 4) when the country's President Juan Manuel Santos will the lead delegation for the final presentation and vote.

Santos, who was elected President in 2010, will spend two days here to prepare with the rest of the team and will address the International Olympic Committee (IOC) at its Extraordinary Session in the Beaulieu Lausanne.

He will be joined in Lausanne by the Mayor of Medellin, Aníbal Gaviria Correa, and Colombia's Sports Minister Andres Botero Phillipsbourne, an IOC member, to outline the city's vision.

Medellin have emerged as the favourites to be awarded the event, which will be the third time the Summer Youth Olympic Games have been staged since they were launched at Singapore in 2010, but face opposition from Glasgow with Buenos Aires considered the outsiders.

The decision is due to be announced at 3.55pm on Thursday.

full article

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/youth-olympics/2018/1014898-colombian-president-to-lead-medellin-delegation-for-2018-summer-youth-olympic-vote

Medellín 2018 banks on new partner
02 July 2013 | By Rachel Warnes
Bancolombia has partnered with Medellín 2018 in the city’s bid to host the 2018 Summer Youth Olympic Games.
The announcement comes just days before the International Olympic Committee (IOC) meet on 4th July to decide which city will host the 2018 Games. The Colombian city is battling with Glasgow and Buenos Aires for the right to stage the event.
“Bancolombia is proud to officially give its full support for Medellín’s bid for the Youth Olympic Games in 2018, which is extremely important for our country and the city of Medellín,” said Bancolombia president, Carlos Raul Yepes Jimenez. “Here in Colombia sport is considered as a life choice that encourages us to learn to work with and for others. Sport invites us to live a full and healthy life to achieve a more inclusive and equitable society. The entire business community, including Bancolombia, recognises the importance of this event to our society.”
“This is much more than a strategic partnership with a commercial bank,” added Medellín 2018 bid chief executive Camilo Quintero. “It is hugely significant that a powerful company like Bancolombia recognises the importance the Youth Olympic Games would have here. They want to be part of the process to positively impact our people. The entire business community is on board with our candidature because they know what it will mean to Colombia to host such a prestigious international event.”
The Colombian bank is the largest commercial bank in the country and one of the largest in Latin America. Its global headquarters are based in Medellín.

YOUTH TAKE CENTRE STAGE IN GLASGOW 2018 PRESENTATION TO THE IOC WITH PROMISE OF GLOBAL IMPACT FOR YOUTH OLYMPIC GAMES

The young people of Glasgow will take centre stage at the city's final presentation to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) with a promise to achieve global impact for the Youth Olympic Games (YOG).

Glasgow school pupil Elizabeth Pollard, 15, will join Bid Director Paul Bush and Chairman of the British Olympic Association (BOA), Sebastian Coe, on stage in Lausanne, Switzerland, on Thursday.

The presentation panel will be joined by the Bid's young champions, 18-year-old actress Jasmine Main and Scotland's number one triple jumper Mahad Ahmed, 17. Also accompanying the panel will be cyclist Sir Chris Hoy, the UK's greatest ever Olympian.

Young people have led the Glasgow bid from its launch and have helped create Candidature File content, the city's detailed Culture and Education Programme plans and the bid's innovative social media campaign, with 70 per cent of its 50,000 Facebook followers under 24.

Elizabeth is a pupil at Shawlands Academy, recently named the UK's top international school. Glasgow has links with 95 countries across the world with its young people speaking 110 languages.

Last week Jasmine and Mahad launched the bid's 'I Wish...for Glasgow 2018' campaign which has seen young people from across the UK express their wishes for the Bid and the Youth Olympic Games.

Central to the presentation's message will be that the UK's ability to pledge certainty of delivery means Glasgow will be able to start work straight away to achieve global impact for the YOG by reaching millions of young people across the world.

Elizabeth said: "It is so exciting for me to be representing my friends in Glasgow who I know would give the world the warmest Scottish welcome possible. The Youth Olympic Games in Glasgow would be a city-wide party which will be so much fun, not just for the athletes and the visitors, but for young people all over the world. We will all make lifelong friends."

Seb Coe said: "Elizabeth is just one of the young people I have met in Glasgow who are examples of an increasingly confident and inspiring generation globally who strive to project the values of excellence, friendship and respect so cherished by the Olympic Family."

Paul Bush, Bid Director, said: "Glasgow has delivered many world-class sporting events. This means we can focus, in partnership with the Olympic Movement, on inspiring youth across the world to be champions in their own lives. Hosting the Youth Olympic Games in 2018 would allow us to continue to inspire a generation internationally, in their own language."

Archived