Music of London 2012

SkiFreak

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Coca Cola has put out a London 2012 promo song, available thru icoke.ca if you enter a pin code from underneath a bottle cap. The song is Anywhere in the World by Mark Ronson featuring Katy B. I just entered a code and downloaded it. Pretty good song. Catchy. Even has the little Coke tune in there from the Coke song for 2010 "Open Happiness"

Has anyone had a chance to listen to the two official albums? Are they any good? I'm still hoping they release more. Something with current music.

Coca Cola has put out a London 2012 promo song, available thru icoke.ca if you enter a pin code from underneath a bottle cap. The song is Anywhere in the World by Mark Ronson featuring Katy B. I just entered a code and downloaded it. Pretty good song. Catchy. Even has the little Coke tune in there from the Coke song for 2010 "Open Happiness"

They also made a documentary of how the song came together. (it was on MTV Netherlands last february)

Trailer:

Haven't found it online yet.

Has anyone had a chance to listen to the two official albums? Are they any good? I'm still hoping they release more. Something with current music.

I've bought Classic songs of the city;

classicsongofthecity.th.jpg

O

fficial songs

Five official songs have been composed for ‘Rock The Games’ led by chart-topping band Muse, whose track 'Survival' will be played at various sport sessions. The other four official songs are by Elton John vs Pnau, Delphic, Chemical Brothers and Dizzee Rascal.

Complete article: http://www.london2012.com/news/articles/london-2012-annouces-plans-entertain-and-educate-spectators.html

Here's a (alleged) snippet of the song:

And a longer extract:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9k0iaK8bSE&feature=youtu.be

If that's really the song, it's surprisingly dark for an Olympic theme song. And not very catchy.

And another one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moChrfLu_ag

WOW I love it!! What an inspired choice to have Muse do the official song. It's completely different from others and it's so edgy and sounds dangerous and mind blowing and totally British! Hints of Queens!

I'm so glad they didn't go for the usual rousing, crowd pleasing song and go for this totally different sound. One of the best moves by LOCOG, such bravado!!

I still can't believe Muse is doing the official song, never in a million years I thought of that! A big fan of them aside, I really think the song pumps up the excitement immediately. Whoever approach and approves Muse of doing the official song should get a gold medal immediately!!

Edited by kevzz

Just listened to it on the BBC Radio 1 live stream -- and it's really the song from the snippets above. It sounds like Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody thrown into the 21st century. And it's pretty dark and heavy.

It's still a very unusual choice for an Olympic theme song. It shows, however, that London is doing a lot of things differently. ;)

• Like 1

I feel this song will resonate amongst the athletes than the public more. It's like a fighting song!

I like it starts with a slow, melodic prelude. That's a nod to Bohemian Rhapsody too

Edited by kevzz
  • Like 1

I heard it with the prelude, after, its one hell of a song, towards the end its quite heavy and reminded me of glam rock a bit. Very different choice and works well with the more edgy, shard like branding. Its certainly not like Celine Dion.

In the interview he said after being asked to play the closing ceremony they played it to the organisers and they said they wanted it as the official song. Apparently he started it a year ago after a famous pianist ( who he didnt say) asked him to do something for the Olympics but it kind of fizzled out. Only to be reborn.

Five official songs have been composed for ‘Rock The Games’ led by chart-topping band Muse, whose track 'Survival' will be played at various sport sessions. The other four official songs are by Elton John vs Pnau, Delphic, Chemical Brothers and Dizzee Rascal.

So seems like Elton will be the only one doing a traditional ballad type of Olympic song? I'm surprised Adele is not one of them