Music of London 2012

SkiFreak

What I wanted to hear was the music used when the Queen arrived.

Well that's easy... James Bond theme by Monty Norman! :D

Regarding these tracks...

Survival by Muse

Good life by Delphic

Velodrome Theme by The Chemical Brothers

Scream by Dizzee Rascal ft. Pepper

Good Morning to the Night (Pnau's Rock The Games Extended Mix) by Elton John vs Pnau

So is this the full list of official songs for London 2012?

There are some tracks I like but not enough to buy the whole album.

What I wanted to hear was the music used when the flags were carried in, and when the Queen arrived.

That's the second half of "Isle of Wonder" list, from Galvanize (Beginning) and Galvanize (End) minus Adele, Bee Gees, and a few others. Every time I listen to Galvanize I am reminded of the Budwiser commercial during Vancouver 2010.

I'm curious, what music is NBC using for their broadcasts?

Probably John Williams' "Olympic Fanfare"... Ad nauseum, as they always do, no matter the country is hosting...

PS: I love this song, but NBC could make "localized" versions every four years to fit the host country. It would be amazing!

they play it for winter games too.

and it's nice to have something constant. when you hear that song on tv, you know there's an olympics on. it sets the mood.

and no, they shouldn't tamper with the theme. that's a terrible idea.

they play it for winter games too.

and it's nice to have something constant. when you hear that song on tv, you know there's an olympics on. it sets the mood.

and no, they shouldn't tamper with the theme. that's a terrible idea.

It's true, they use the Fanfare in every single Olympics (summer or winter)

Here in Brazil, each broadcast have their Olympic theme, but they always add some "local" instuments and chords to the theme, which is nice...

We can recognize it and we have something new every time.

Globo, for example, always put some reference to the previous host and its own graphics in the very beggining of the intro... Which is nice!

All intros made by Globo since 1992

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUzE4SBA2Oc

Beijing 2008

I must say, I loved the Beijing version made by Band TV here in Brazil...

(the graphics were a bit poor that time - now Band is really great in graphics)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr4brtTWZIo

A few extra tracks from the opening ceremony that weren't featured on the album

* Eclipse by Pink Floyd : most people probably already picked this track, but it was used during the end fireworks/montage

* I Heard Wonders by David Holmes: used in the torch relay montage and in the first look at Becks going down the river with the torch

* Surf Solar by the Fu*k Buttons: used at the start of the initial isles of wonder video montage into the stadium for the countdown, just before the bits of other pieces of music, followed into Map of the Problamatique during the countdown itself.

A few extra tracks from the opening ceremony that weren't featured on the album

* Eclipse by Pink Floyd : most people probably already picked this track, but it was used during the end fireworks/montage

* I Heard Wonders by David Holmes: used in the torch relay montage and in the first look at Becks going down the river with the torch

* Surf Solar by the Fu*k Buttons: used at the start of the initial isles of wonder video montage into the stadium for the countdown, just before the bits of other pieces of music, followed into Map of the Problamatique during the countdown itself.

And don't foget, the James Bond theme!

At the Stadium tonight and the Muse video started up and I noticed the first bit where the years count down was running in reverse with the years running to 2012

The the video montage starts but now it is all made up from 2012 clips. Sure it will appear online soon if it's not up already.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me what the lyrics to "Caliban's Dream" actually are? They guy is singing so softly I can't make half of them out!

Never mind, I found them on Wikipedia....

And the rain tossed above us, in the garden of the world,

But a flame arrives to guide us, past the gold between the anvils of the stars

Watch you over all the children in the rain, and the streets where I remember,

Where the fire that lights a candle soars again.

A flaring flame, hear it call.

Through the darkness, hear it call to us all.

And start again.

Its beating heart, comes again.

When the light drive out our fears, And the joy drive out our pain,

And the nations come to greet us, waving opened arms of waves of golden corn.

Ever hear us. Oh the spirit of the world. May your light be ever near us,

Always lead us from the dark, though we may fall.

We will fly.

And with love, hear the call.

Edited by Citizen-Seth

• 1 month later...

I loved "Caliban's Dream", it was the perfect crescendo to the lighting of the Olympic Cauldron. Other favourites of London 2012 include "Chariots of Fire" and that song they played after the post-lighting fireworks started high above the Olympic Stadium (Deep Purple? Pink Floyd?)...