2012 Olympic Vliiage

jerseyboi

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if they need to get their bearings, it's better now than in the first few days of competition when the world press will be ready to spring on it with glee!

True. Best for this to happen now rather than on day 3 of the games!

Question: Are all athletes required to stay in the OV regardless where their competition venue is (outside the Olympic Park, or in Dorset)? Can athletes opt out and stay somewhere else (hotels or their own home if they are Londoners)?

Does every athlete get to stay for the whole duration of the Games even though their event has finished?

And I'm curious about athletes transport. It must be a very complex operation in the OV to make sure all the athletes get to their venues on time. I imagine they are shuttle buses for each venue? Or smaller vehicles like cars or vans that queue outside the OV to ferry athletes wherever they want to go?

Question: Are all athletes required to stay in the OV regardless where their competition venue is (outside the Olympic Park, or in Dorset)? Can athletes opt out and stay somewhere else (hotels or their own home if they are Londoners)?

They can do what they want, really. As mentioned above, the US basketballers, since 1992 at least, have long preferred five star hotels to get away from the autograph hunters than stay in the OV. A lot of the highly professional athletes don't even stay in the city for the duration of the games - a lot of the track athletes keep on training at their pre-games base until the second week and only fly in as their event approaches.

Depending on the team they're on, they may need to have permission from their NOCs to do so, however. I'm sure the various NOCs prefer their teams to stay in one place (the OV) so they can keep their eyes on them.

Does every athlete get to stay for the whole duration of the Games even though their event has finished?

Yep, if they want to. Indeed, the village becomes "Party Central" in the second week of the games as more and more of the athletes complete their events. You get a lot of dscriptions that the village gets more and more like Ibiza meets Sodom as the games get closer to the end. Indeed, a lot of the athletes who are only due to compete towards the end of the games complain that it gets too noisy and distracting for them to train and focus when so many of the others are letting their hair down and living the high life. In fact, it's a bit of a punishment for the athletes NOT to be allowed to stay once their event is over - that's how the Australian Olympic Committee has punished two of our swimmers for social media indiscretions - by telling them they have to leave London after their events.

And I'm curious about athletes transport. It must be a very complex operation in the OV to make sure all the athletes get to their venues on time. I imagine they are shuttle buses for each venue? Or smaller vehicles like cars or vans that queue outside the OV to ferry athletes wherever they want to go?

Yes, regular shuttle transport to all the venues and training venues.

article-2174743-1419058F000005DC-34_306x423.jpgarticle-2174743-14190594000005DC-38_306x423.jpg

Bright: The Cuban flag is pictured on one of the buildings in the Olympic Village, left, while the Japanese flag can be seen on this building, right

Read more:

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz20vaXZL52

...Dailymail seriously needs to study more about the flags of the world. Seriously e_e wtf.

article-2174743-1419058F000005DC-34_306x423.jpgarticle-2174743-14190594000005DC-38_306x423.jpg

...Dailymail seriously needs to study more about the flags of the world. Seriously e_e wtf.

That's pathetic but beside that good article been busy so haven't been here much but lots of pictures which were good to see, the rooms seem so tiny though

article-2174743-1418C010000005DC-798_634x422.jpg

This was cool although most stuff i knew some i didnt

2012: OLYMPICS BY NUMBERS

3 The number of times London has held the Olympic Games (1908, 1948 and 2012)

30 New bridges built inside the Olympic Park in Stratford, east London

200 Number of buildings that had to be demolished to accommodate the site

587 Acreage of Olympic Park

3,000 Square footage of world's biggest McDonald's - just 200 yards from stadium

200,000 Total workforce needed

700,000 Total capacity for all venues

4billion People expected to watch the Opening Ceremony

9.3billion cost in pounds sterling of staging the Games

this was cool to

article-2174577-141771B0000005DC-305_634x400.jpg

And I'd imagine all booze at the OV bar is free?? Geez of course it will be Ibiza meets Sodom!

It's a story that comes up every Games time. Here's a bit of the flavour of what goes on in the village:

Sex rife in Olympic Games athletes' village

MOVE over Sex In The City; here comes Sex In The Village. As in the London Olympic Games athletes' village.

Tales of shenanigans at the living quarters for 10,000 super-fit young men and women have always abounded, and London doesn't look as if it will be any different.

US women's soccer star Hope Solo recently talked about serious partying at the Beijing Games, and some newly arrived athletes say they can hardly wait for the fun to begin.

"The Olympics is the height of your career, so you might do some things you don't usually do," British beach volleyball player Shauna Mullin said.

Most, like Mullin, will restrain from going too far, aware they're in the international spotlight.

Still, there's no need to be prudish, according to the man overseeing the health of the Brazilian team.

"(Sex) is common at the Olympics. It's necessary. It's natural," Dr Joao Olyntho Macha do Neto said.

"If you are going to be healthy people, why not make sex? Brazil is very tolerant with sex as a country. We don't have Victorian minds and we're not religious."

Ivory Coast swimmer Kouassi Brou was one of the youngest competitors in Beijing at 16, but he's grown up now.

And ready for some Olympic love.

"In 2008 I was so young and so shy, so I didn't interact with the women," the 20-year-old Brou said. "But now I'm a big man. So I can try. I will try."

And he's clear about his ambitions.

"If they are beautiful, it's OK," he said.

Thousands of free condoms will be available. Organisers have heard enough about village antics from previous games to know there will be heavy demand by athletes for protection.

Solo recalled seeing competitors having sex out in the open in Beijing.

"On the grass, between buildings, people are getting down and dirty," the 2008 gold medallist told ESPN The Magazine recently.

Still, her revelations startled some athletes interviewed in the athletes village on Wednesday.

"It's not something I've seen at all . . . maybe I wasn't up on the right nights," Australian canoeist Warwick Draper said.

"It's not something I think you'd expect to see in the village."

Mullin knows how she would react to anything racy: "I'm pretty sure if I see it I'll end up laughing."

Wild parties in athletes villages are not new . Many of them live in a world where every move is followed by the media and they're delighted to unwind in the privacy of the village, where the outside world is excluded.

Ask fencer Kanae Ikehata about bed-hopping between the apartment buildings, and her blushing cheeks turn even redder.

"I am Japanese," she said, suggesting her compatriots' behaviour is more elegant than others.

"I'll only look," she added while shopping for Olympic merchandise.

But maybe the amorous couples Solo spotted out doors in Beijing had the right idea.

Fitting just one person into the beds provided for Olympians in London is proving to be a problem in itself.

"As an athlete you have to relax, get a little bit of space . . . but here it is tight and the beds are too small," said Sierra Leone sprinter Ibrahim Turay. "It is a bit difficult for me to lie down."

There's also not much privacy.

"It's pretty tight for us. I'm sharing one room with my coach and there are four rooms in one apartment, with one toilet, so we have to figure out how to use the toilet," Turay said.

There won't be much party time for Turay. His events go nearly until the end. The closing ceremony is on August 12.

He hopes others can keep the sound levels down.

"I just have to keep myself away from the crowd, the noisy distractions," he said.

Herald Sun

The Village "pub" is officially dry I believe. Coke products only

I'm surprised - surely somewhere in the village they serve booze! But then again, they all go out and party on the town after their events anyway - and London's sure not short of nighclubs!

That's pathetic but beside that good article been busy so haven't been here much but lots of pictures which were good to see, the rooms seem so tiny though

article-2174743-1418C010000005DC-798_634x422.jpg

Doesn't seem tiny at all by London standards. I stayed in a hotel room once with two twin beds (single) with probably less than a metre between the two. Barely any room to put your bag down.

Beth, thank you for this....

You will have made the entire forum happy now :)

LOL - you're welcome! I have been following twitter feeds for shots like these. Not that I am stalking at all! :ph34r: This is my money shot! Forget the flame on top of the London Eye! :wub:

Archived