• Created
  • Last Reply

sweseh.jpg

Ok, now I have an excuse to twitter more!! :D

Actually, it's great to see these tweets from the athletes

Gideon Louw@GideonLouwSwim

Settled into the Olympic Village. All I can say is...Superb

Jean Basson@Jean87Basson

Just had our first meal in the Olympic Village! Things look awesome so far, waiting for some more bro reinforcements to arrive to explore!

sweseh.jpg

Jean Basson@Jean87Basson

Just had our first meal in the Olympic Village! Things look awesome so far, waiting for some more bro reinforcements to arrive to explore!

Exactly! That's the real reason I was checking twitter - honest! I do like their tweets and I haven't seen a bad one yet. I saw someone mention that the Argentine athletes were grumbling that their beds are too small and had to ask for extensions but that's about it.

sweseh.jpg

Jean Basson@Jean87Basson

. Hot athletes in Olympic village

The beds extend to over 6ft, they are clever beds. For some reason some athletes haven't worked that out yet, seems the beds are more clever than the people using them or the journalists reporting it.

That sounds entirely possible. You'd think the staff would enlighten them though...

some noisy? :P

Some athletes trying to sleep in the nearby Olympic village have complained about the noise of helicopters hovering over the stadium as producers tested aerial broadcast shots, while every night the stadium glows a different colour and loud music can be heard across the site, with a full dress rehearsal, attended by volunteers, scheduled for later in the week.

http://uk.eurosport....-101359475.html

Olympic Village welcomes 2012 Truce Wall

Truce_BIG.jpg

During a tour of the Olympic Village today, International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Jacques Rogge, together with members of the IOC Executive Board and the IOC Athletes’ Commission, took part in a ceremony that featured the unveiling of the Olympic Truce Wall and the launch of the Olympic Games’ Giving is Winning campaign.

GiW_600.jpg

read more

IOC

Grindr crashed in East London, apparently due to an influx of gay Olympians!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/23/olympic-athletes-london-grindr_n_1695173.html

If you were one of London's estimated 350,000 Grindr users trying to log into the GPS-based gay dating App last week, you may have encountered some difficulty, due, according to some, to the influx of Olympic athletes trying to use the service.

In a July 19th post on the Grindr blog, App founder Joel Simkurai issued an apology to users who had experienced "service disruptions," and explains, "when we discovered that [Grindr wasn't working], we immediately set to work fixing the screw-up. The service disruption was a challenging thing to address, but our tech team worked around the clock to solve the problems and to whip Grindr back into shape."

Simkurai doesn't address the cause of the disruptions, but London tabloid "The People," attributes it to the influx of Olympic Athletes in London. The publication reports:

A gay dating website crashed within minutes of the first Olympic athletes arriving in London -- due to the volume of demand, say experts... Technicians believe the arrival of Olympic teams on Monday sparked a flood of new customers -- and loss of the service in East London.

One Londoner told The People, “It happened almost as soon as the teams got here. Either loads of athletes were logging on to meet fellow Olympians or were looking to bag a local."

It's unclear whether these quoted Londoners are the "experts" and "technicians," or just average users effected by the disruption. It's also possible that this whole debacle could be an elaborate PR stunt by Grindr, who plugged a "new Grindr later this summer" in the apologetic blog post.

HuffPost Gay Voices reached out to Grindr to comment on the causes of the service disruptions but had not received a reply as of publication of this story.

Veritable or not, the incident raises the important question of homosexuality at the Olympic games. The 2012 games could be a watershed moment for international LGBT rights, with some suggesting that gay and lesbian athletes from countries in which homosexuality is illegal should come out during the games, and seek asylum in Britain. Only time will reveal whether this movement takes hold, but the possibility of there being enough gay athletes to crash Grindr could be a good sign.

I have no words for this.

No words.

I don't use it myself, but I'm told that Grindr crashes a lot anyway, so I suspect they're just saying this to drive up some hype for they're product when really it's just a normal coincidence.

Archived