Ceremonies on UTube, Pt 2

baron-pierreIV

Was there any part of the Albertville ceremonies that was NOT bizarre???

I remember watching it on RV with my mother when I was just 9 1/2... the Costumes were weird, the choreography mad no sense, the music sounded like some sort of nightmarish Phillip Glass composition... I am willing to declare the Albertville ceremonies and the most bizarre of my lifetime... that clip you posted is not even the most unusual... The ceremony seems so ill-concieved especially when compared to the Lillehammer ceremony from just 2 years later which was the epitome of winter serenity, tranquility, peace, and wholesomeness and Albertville 2 years earlier looked and sounded like Cirque du Soliel's idea of what hell would be like... Albertville shall forever stand as an example of what NOT to do for a Winter opening ceremony.....

On TV, not RV... :rolleyes:

No, but seeing bits and pieces NEVER seen previously makes it an even MORE surreal experience. You mean there was more? :blink::blink: I think I know why. I believe this part (the women on the spinning discs) was cut from the U.S. telecast. CBS picked up from the recreations of the luge, the skiers, etc.

It's really like some brain-damaged choreographer took over or . . .the French were in effect telling Samaranch (after he manipulated Barcelona's victory over Paris)...F&CK YOU!! :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

It's really like some brain-damaged choreographer took over or . . .the French were in effect telling Samaranch (after he manipulated Barcelona's victory over Paris)...F&CK YOU!! :lol:

as good of an explanation as any other! I would also have accepted they are French and French = Weird & Creepy :D

Ikarus posted the Moscow 1980 Opening Ceremony several years ago in parts. The following is a fuller version of that from Russia's Channel One with the intro of the Olympic Flame lighting at Olympia and the subsequent torch relay before heading into then-Lenin Stadium at the countdown with the torch making its way through Moscow. Still no Parade of Nations in this video?! I sincerely hope we'll see it very soon, say, in a BBC or a Channel 7 (Australia) feed.

Speaking of 7, "BalancedAustralia" uploaded on YouTube the Olympic Flame coming out of Moscow's City Hall to start the Australian coverage of the 1980 Moscow Olympics--and its way to Lenin Stadium for the final leg of the relay along Gorky St. They is also footage of inside Lenin Stadium at the countdown (complete with ticker). He hopes to get everything ready by later this month. Interesting that Seven, with the Fraser Government, came close to pulling out of the coverage to those Games until it was official two weeks before the start that Seven was going to send a small team there after all. Because of travel costs, there were a team based in Adelaide, I think, to cover it. At the time, 7 was only a collection of Seven stations in all the Australian state capital cities and not really a network.

No, but seeing bits and pieces NEVER seen previously makes it an even MORE surreal experience. You mean there was more? :blink::blink: I think I know why. I believe this part (the women on the spinning discs) was cut from the U.S. telecast. CBS picked up from the recreations of the luge, the skiers, etc.

From memory, what got included on the US CBS broadcast for the OC from Albertville:

The jet flyover and greeting in sign language.

The entrance of the VIPs

Some of the Parade of Nations (Latvia and Lithuania were left off, which CBS apologized for the next morning, among others)

Speech by Jean-Claude Kiley, JAS and the opening of the Games by Mitterand

The entrance of the Olympic Flag and the beginning of its ascent up the central mast

Michele Platini carrying in the torch, joined by a young boy after a lap to run up and light the cauldron

The French national anthem

The beginning of the "artistic" ceremony, featuring performers running out of giant horns of plenty, dancing around and playing music

Musical performers lifted over the sides of the stadium on cranes to bang on cymbals and drums while ski jumpers floated overhead from the stadium to the mast. Also had people on tampolines on the stadium floor

The artistic version of Peggy Flemming's figure skating routine on the spinning tops which was posted earlier complete with unearthly vocalizations

Artistic representations of speed skating (in line skaters with dinosaur tails attached), luge and cross country skiing

The whole cast comes back and waves flags while giant windsocks are deployed

It was, indeed, the strangest OC I've ever seen and IMHO, the CC was not much better, featuring a giant fat guy dressed as an angel floating by the Olympic cauldron and blowing it out. Lillehammer's handover ceremony only succeeded in making the French look worse by comparison.

Honestly, to this day, Albertville, between the venue plan and this crap, ranks as the worst WOG I've ever seen.

• Like 1

As we await for Balanced Australia on You Tube to upload the start of the 1980 Moscow Olympic Opening Ceremony--the first two parts that were televised on Channel 7 in Australia, the following combination series of both ceremonies in Moscow will have to suffice for now. Staring with the flag ceremony portion in the Opening to the Friendship of the Peoples to the Children's Display and on to going further to the Human Acrobatic Vases. Not all of the Children's Display made it, though.Still no Parade of Nations, but you do get to see the Aussie march in the OC carrying the Olympic flag in protest and the Boomers celebrating a win with the men's 4x400 IM relay team and Michelle Ford celebrating their swimming golds with Aussie flag going up in the medal ceremony. At 9:38 in part 5, the CC comes in starting with more gymnastics with the last of the Moscow Military Red Army Band (barely seen) as they leave. But the Australian coverage from the 7 Network of the CC goes a little further than what was uploaded from the archives of Soviet TV (CT-USSR), now inherited by Russia's Channel One (notice the see-through logo bug in the upper right corner on those and that of SAGE-TV) with the dancers waving, applauding farewell, and leaving Lenin Stadium to the song "Sport Is My Life" at Part 8 with Moscow Olympic highlights on the Lenin Stadium scoreboard. Complete with Seven's closing credit and, interestingly, some Arabic commentary obscuring the Australian commentary on Part 8. Who are those 7 commentators? Would like to know more about 7's coverage and its programming back then.

Part 1

Part 2

Sorry for the error:

American singer Etta James died last January 20. She performed "When the Saints go Marching In" at the opening ceremony of Los Angeles '84 olympics (during the gospel segment). I found this jewel right now in Youtube which could also serve as a small tribute to her

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRj5P0q-tVA

• Like 1

American singer Etta James died last January 20. She performed "When the Saints go Marching In" at the opening ceremony of Los Angeles '84 olympics (during the gospel segment). I found this jewel right now in Youtube which could also serve as a small tribute to her

Just saw and it was uploaded almost exactly a day ago. Sad that she had terminal cancer--read about that on Rolling Stone magazine weeks ago. But we'll always have At Last and that performance in Los Angeles, among others. Now, if we can get the full ceremonies of both "at last"...

I'll try again today as I promised with the Seven Network's Moscow Opening Ceremony highlight coverage while we await Balanced Australia's 20+ parts. But with the two-media per post limit, I'll do this separately:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 7

Part 8 (complete with 7's complete end featuring end credits to "I Still Call Australia Home")

If you ever saw the old Soviet replays on YouTube, they go from one segment to another unseemless. That is, it doesn't really go in its entirety, minus the Parade of Nations and some other Olympic protocol--and omit some footage here and there. Still hoping for a BBC version of these. Hope to seven the full intro from Seven, maybe with the Ghengis Khan theme "Moscow" and some promos. All part of then-landmark A$1 million exclusive rights deal the network struck back in 1977 in a mixture of live and delayed satelitte coverage.

Hope to seven the full intro from Seven, maybe with the Ghengis Khan theme "Moscow" and some promos. All part of then-landmark A$1 million exclusive rights deal the network struck back in 1977 in a mixture of live and delayed satelitte coverage.

LOL, memories! Makes me wonder what the various networks will choose as their theme songs for London.

Thanks for all those clips, Durbs.

PS: Hope you enjoyed the Peter Allen's rendition to that song through 7's credits. Funnily enough, that song was used by NBC at the end of its telecast of the Sydney 2000 Olympics just before the closing credits. That time was performed by the Qantas Choir that footage of their video used from the airline's commercials.

Another good find here regarding the Moscow 1980 Opening Ceremony that I discovered. This time it's highlights taken from French TV. Actually, two reports from Moscow. The first one is by TF1's Bernard Gregoire with the other one--and far more extensive--comes from Antenna 2's (now France Televisions 2) Georges Bortoli. So far, this is the only other video here on You Tube, with the exception of the Moscow 1980 documentary "O Sport, Thou Art Peace" and that brief bit of the Aussies marching in at the last part of the 7's Moscow coverage, that has real good extensive footage of the Parade of Nations--and the immediate moments of the pitch after Sergei Belov lit the cauldron. Here, you see the Angolans (making their Olympic debut here), the Afghans, the Cubans, the Czechs, the Spanish, with France and Belgium marching with only the flagbearer and placard holder. Soviet gymnast Nikolai Andrianov (RIP) recites the athlete's oath in full here. The Australian contingent are here in this too with them taking pictures at the Olympic Hymn and starting to leave the stadium with the other Olympians--can't miss them with their striped green and gold jackets. The later-married couple from Montreal stop by to bring the Antwerp Olympic flag over to the Moscow mayor in the place of his Montreal counterpart Jean Drapeau, who couldn't attend. The extended rendition of the Soviet anthem follows this report with pictures of the former nation.

Part 1 of an odd sequenced recording--and some very interesting taping over with other stuff--of the 1988 Seoul Olympic Opening Ceremony from NBC as the network makes its return to stay for US Olympic broadcasting since the 1972 Sapporo Winter Olympics and would've been eight years were it not for the Moscow 1980 boycott. KBS' telecast this isn't, as we know about them. There, we get to see EVERYTHING commercial-free. It was shown live here in the US and the last Summer OC to take place fully in broad daylight. Nice to see the Olympic history sequence leading up to Seoul again since the telecast to begin with and the NBC Olympic intro (ABC still held the rights to Bugler's Dream at the time) in the face of North Korea, Ethiopia, Cuba, Albania, Seychelles, Nicaragua, and Madagascar all boycotting. The much-maligned Bryant Gumbel gets to be host here after being denied Moscow (he did do the Moscow daily highlights, however). No river festival, though. Or parade of nations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn9yhrZYZDg

Fixed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn9yhrZYZDg

Part 2 (Oh yeah, remember all the controversy the American Olympians committed in the face of the South Koreans who were upset over the "Hi Mom!" signs when parading? If anybody can remind me, why were the South Koreans upset? Was it viewed as ugly Americanism and showboating? Commercials included.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN6wC_55_yU

I don't think it was necessarily the signs that upset the Koreans as much as the lack of respect for the tradition of the parade as demonstrated by some in the American delegation. The let themselves get strung out, wandered off the track into the shade and get interspersed with the delegations that followed (poor Vanuatu, making it's Olympic debut had its grand entrance spoiled by a bunch of US fencers who carried a large sign to get NBC's attention because they figured they would be ignored in the network's coverage. The tactic worked). It really was a disrespectful showing that alienated a host country (that already had some anti-US sentiment over non-Olympic issues) that values reverence to tradition. One could say that it reminds them of Atlanta in 1996, but that was more poor execution of a novel idea and not ignorant behavior on part of the athletes.

I don't think it was necessarily the signs that upset the Koreans as much as the lack of respect for the tradition of the parade as demonstrated by some in the American delegation. The let themselves get strung out, wandered off the track into the shade and get interspersed with the delegations that followed (poor Vanuatu, making it's Olympic debut had its grand entrance spoiled by a bunch of US fencers who carried a large sign to get NBC's attention because they figured they would be ignored in the network's coverage. The tactic worked). It really was a disrespectful showing that alienated a host country (that already had some anti-US sentiment over non-Olympic issues) that values reverence to tradition. One could say that it reminds them of Atlanta in 1996, but that was more poor execution of a novel idea and not ignorant behavior on part of the athletes.

You're right it was more of a poor structure (the ramp in this case) in Atlanta. Also, don't forget eight years later in Atlanta, the Canadians slowed things down as some took pictures of themselves at the Olympic flagpoles. NBC showed that, not so much on the CBC version.

Regarding Seoul and the alienation, Korean culture, as is the case with other East Asian ones, do value reverence to tradition and respect towards elders. The US isn't as old as Korean culture that was cultivated for numerous centuries. Not to mention the fact that the US government was known to support the military South Korean governments from Generals Park Chun Hee to Chun Do Hwan to Roh Tae Woo at that point while the economy was rapidly rising in this span from where it was in the 50s and 60s (before it turned civilian for good).

The beginning moments of BBC One's (or BBC Sport, if you prefer) coverage of the 2008 Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony with Sir Steven Redgrave, Sue Barker, Michael Johnson, Huw Edwards, Hazel Irvine, Carrie Grace, Sir Matt Pinsent(?) complete with a military band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3QXJ_tTjP0

Calgary's anniversary is coming up soon in a matter of days. The following from the 1988 Calgary Closing Ceremony at McMahaon Stadium marked the end of an era for ABC that it hasn't returned to though it tried since through ESPN, which is really now the ABC Sports department and then some. For ABC, "the Olympic tradition" ended right here in Calgary. Nice to see all of the ABC Olympic logos from each Games it televised in the intro, though it is interesting to see them interspersed with other sports footage along the way like the NBC Sports reflection of the Rumble In The Jungle (in part). Despite what Frank Gifford says tells you here, there is no Champions Figure Skating Gala in these videos. But there is a Bonnie Blair post-speed skating interview. Take it away, Jim and Peter (RIP to both)

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBQerT49TWw

Part 2 (notably includes some Canadian figure skating legends on the rink)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfJ_588YFG4

• 2 weeks later...

Between 9:21 and 9:42 are excerpts of the opening ceremony of the 1979 Mediterranean Games in Split, in the former Yugoslavia (today in Croatia). Not bad for it's time (and the priestesses remind me of Montreal)

davidpremier posted (after a long time) a new excerpt from the Alberville '92 OC