2016 Winter Youth Olympic Games

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still wonder why Lillehammer was the only Bidder?

Because nobody cares enough about the YOG, most certainly not the winter edition.

The winter YOG rely on the same climate/geographical conditions as the WOG. The IOC is struggling to find bidders for the real deal already, so not surprising there's hardly a fight for the second rate (if even that!) event.

Because nobody cares enough about the YOG, most certainly not the winter edition.

The winter YOG rely on the same climate/geographical conditions as the WOG. The IOC is struggling to find bidders for the real deal already, so not surprising there's hardly a fight for the second rate (if even that!) event.

I understand that.

I think Trentino, Italy should Bid for maybe the 2024 Winter Youth Olympics, as they successfully Hosted the 2013 Winter Universiade and they won't be able to Host the Winter Olympics, so a Winter Youth Olympics would be good for them, I believe.

I understand that.

I think Trentino, Italy should Bid for maybe the 2024 Winter Youth Olympics, as they successfully Hosted the 2013 Winter Universiade and they won't be able to Host the Winter Olympics, so a Winter Youth Olympics would be good for them, I believe.

And how well would that go with your continuous argumentation in favour of Rome as the 2024 Summer host? I very much doubt that the Italian NOC has any interest in going for a Winter YOG bid any time soon.

And how well would that go with your continuous argumentation in favour of Rome as the 2024 Summer host? I very much doubt that the Italian NOC has any interest in going for a Winter YOG bid any time soon.

I can't see a Rome, Italy 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics affecting a possible Trentino, Italy 2022 Winter Youth Olympics Bid. What makes me believe that is Beijing, China Hosted the 2008 Summer Olympics and Paralympics and Nanjing, China will Host the 2014 Summer Youth Olympics.

I can't see a Rome, Italy 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics affecting a possible Trentino, Italy 2022 Winter Youth Olympics Bid. What makes me believe that is Beijing, China Hosted the 2008 Summer Olympics and Paralympics and Nanjing, China will Host the 2014 Summer Youth Olympics.

First, the Winter YOG will take place in the same year as the SOG, i.e. 2024.

Second, you honestly want to compare an emerging superpower with a country that has been struggling economically for quite some time already with no real sign of improvement, which even lead to the cancelling of the 2020 bid?

Some months ago, you said you would in the future inform yourself before making such unrealistic statements again...well, I guess you have to work harder on that one.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Calling all young designers! Design the medal for Lillehammer 2016
2503-mdc.jpg

24/03/2015

Let your creativity flow! We are giving you the chance to be part of the Winter Youth Olympic Games by designing the medal for the next winter edition, in Lillehammer in 2016!

All you have to do is go to www.medaldesigncompetition.com, get inspired and submit your very own design. The competition opens today and runs until 1 June 2015.

The winning design and two runners up will be selected by a judging panel made up of the Young Ambassadors and Young Reporters who have been involved in the YOG since the inaugural Singapore 2010 edition/Games. Also joining the panel will be IOC members Claudia Bokel, Chair of the IOC Athletes’ Commission and Olympic silver medallist in fencing, and Angela Ruggiero, Chair of the IOC Coordination Commission for Lillehammer 2016 and Olympic champion in ice hockey.

The winning design will be selected at the end of June 2015 and this design will then feature on the face of the gold, silver and bronze medals awarded in Lillehammer from 12 to 21 February 2016.

In addition to the prestige of creating Olympic history, the winning designer will win a trip to Lillehammer 2016, which includes tickets to the Opening Ceremony and sports competition, as well as a full collection of medals featuring their design.

So what are you waiting for? Get creative and enter your design!

IOC

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Youth Olympic flame lights up for Lillehammer 2016YOG-Flame-630x364.jpg
©IOC / Philippe Furrer & Nicolas Reichen

01/12/2015

The flame for the second Winter Youth Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway, was lit today in the Panathenaic Stadium in Athens, Greece. This marks the start of the Torch Relay which will travel across the whole of Norway, visiting all 19 provinces in a celebration of youth sports.

Following Olympic tradition, the Youth Olympic flame was lit by the sun’s rays reflected in a parabolic mirror, with a priestess from the Temple of Hera passing on the torch to the first relay runner in Athens’ ancient stadium – the home of the first modern Olympic Games in 1896. Four young athletes from Norway and Greece started the Torch Relay in the iconic stadium, before the Youth Olympic flame is transported to Norway.

A delegation from Norway attended the ceremony. It included Siri Hatlen, Chair of the YOG Organising Committee (LYOGOC); Tomas Holmestad, CEO of the YOG Organising Committee; Vegard Ulvang, representing the National Olympic Committee (NOC) of Norway, International Ski Federation (FIS) Cross-Country Committee Chairman and a former Olympic athlete and cross-country champion; and Grace Bullen, a young Norwegian athlete and former YOG champion in wrestling. Grace is an ambassador for the campaign “Klubben i mitt hjerte – the club in my heart”.

Flame-Ceremony.jpg

From Greece, the Deputy Minister for Sports, Stavros Kontonis; the General Secretary for Sports, Ioulios Synadinos; attaché of the Royal Norwegian Embassy, Roger Jorgensen; Greek NOC (HOC) President Spyros Capralos; HOC Secretary General Emmanuel Katsiadakis; as well as International Olympic Academy (IOA) President Isidoros Kouvelos all attended the ceremony.

“The lighting of the Youth Olympic flame is a major milestone for Lillehammer 2016. We’re getting so near the Games that we literally can feel the heat of it, and, with this flame being lit, we are ready to welcome the world to Norway,” said Tomas Holmestad, CEO of Lillehammer 2016 at the ceremony. “This Youth Olympic flame will not only raise awareness of the Lillehammer Youth Olympic Games, but it will also help us to highlight and celebrate the many young volunteers in Norwegian sports along its journey throughout Norway in the build-up to the Games.”

Sjogg-Norwegian-YOG-Athletes-600.jpg

The flame will then start its journey, arriving at the Norwegian Parliament in Oslo tomorrow, 2 December where celebrations will take place. Afterwards, the Youth Olympic torch will travel across the whole of Norway, visiting all 19 provinces in a celebration of youth sports. Each province will nominate one young change maker, who will have the honour of lighting the Youth Olympic flame during the province’s Youth Olympic celebration. This will be done in partnership with local regional sports. The Youth Olympic flame will then arrive in Lillehammer, and the lightning of the cauldron during the Opening Ceremony of the 2nd Winter Youth Olympic Games on the night of 12 February will mark the beginning of the Games.

IOC

http://www.olympic.org/news/youth-olympic-flame-lights-up-for-lillehammer-2016/247557

• 1 month later...

It seems there are already details for the opening ceremony, which seems to have a plot, unlike Innsbruck. I'm not really expecting much but i hope its better than that mess 4 years ago *sighs*

Marit Bjørgen to carry the Olympic torch with H.R.H. Princess Ingrid Alexandra

f82cd49c0100a772e8d496f24931c3c6.jpg

Marit Bjørgen (35) recently became a mother for the first time. Yet another new challenge awaits her during the opening ceremony of the Youth Olympic Games in Lillehammer on February 12, when she will carry the torch containing the Olympic flame into the arena.

Bjørgen entering the arena with the flame is an important symbolic element that will be interwoven with the narrative conveyed in the ceremony. Here we follow a young boy (Eilif Hellum Noraker, known from the Dr. Proktor movies) who loves doing sports, and who dreams of becoming a great athlete. The road towards the goal is harder than he expected, but Bjørgen uses her own story and the Olympic flame to motivate him to never give up.

– I am really looking forward to February 12, and I am nervous and excited. I am not used to performing in ceremonies like these, but I am proud to be able to participate in the opening ceremony of the Youth Olympic Games, says Marit Bjørgen.

– In the play, I work as an inspiration to the young boy. Being a good role model for young athletes means a lot to me. I want to use the attention I receive as a skier for something positive, and it is important for me to be able to motivate children and teenagers to do sports. I have always enjoyed sports immensely, and I want all youths to have the possibility to do sports at their own level.

– The most important thing is not great results, but to grow as a person and enjoy what you are doing. That was the situation in my youth, and this is still the case, says Bjørgen.

– We chose Marit Bjørgen because she is one of the biggest winter sports stars in Norway, and she is a role model for young people. She also tells a story that resembles the one we tell in the ceremony. She was a good athlete early on and worked really hard for several years, until she could not make it work anymore and had to change the way she trained.

– She started to work differently, developing also her psychological strength. She is living proof that being best is not just about willpower and hard training, but that you have to take care of yourself and remember what inspires you, says Reibo.

Marit Bjørgen was never able to participate in the Youth Olympic Games herself, but she did participate in the European Youth Olympic Festival (EYOF) in Sundsvall, Sweden in 1997.

– What I remember best is that it was exciting to travel to competitions as part of a Norwegian team that was really close-knit, as well as getting new friends. It was inspiring to take part in EYOF, and my motivation for skiing was strengthened greatly. The results were less important, but I remember winning a bronze medal and being pleased with that. I have met several of the skiers I competed with in Sweden later, she says.

I hope and believe that the most important thing in the Youth Olympic Games is that athletes from many different countries come together, get to know each other and do what they like best, namely sports. The results in the Games are, in my opinion, of less importance.

– I have participated in four Olympic Games as an adult, and that has given me unforgettable memories and experiences. The teenagers participating in the Youth Olympic Games will probably remember the days in Lillehammer for the rest of their lives. Having one of the parts in the opening ceremony is a great honor for me, and I will do my very best, says Marit Bjørgen.

The opening ceremony of the Youth Olympic Games will be aired live on NRK, and the images will be made available to the entire world.

Princess Ingrid Alexandra (daughter of the crown prince who's just 11 years old) igniting the cauldron alongside Bjorgen is pretty much a nod to his father Hakoon who lit the Lillehammer 1994 flame.

2213478.jpg

This is Nikki Webster 3.0, I mean, Noraker, the boy who will be the protagonist of the ceremony

3839677406_5360904a.jpg?chk=2626E2

http://www.lillehammer2016.com/no/Informasjon/AApningsseremoni

Oh, and btw, apparently they decided the Opening Ceremony will be done in Lysgardbakene (which also held the memorable 1994 ceremonies and Ski jump events). The director of the ceremonies will be Sigrid Strøm Reibo. Frikar Dance Company will work in the ceremony as well (they are best known for having worked with Alexander Rybak on his entry for the Eurovision 2009 which ended up on 1st place)

http://www.lillehammer2016.com/no/Nyheter/AApningsseremoni/Lyst-til-aa-vaere-en-del-av-en-olympisk-aapningsseremoni

Also according to the link we will have actual skiers/telemark skiers and snowboarders.

• 1 month later...

Archived