2015 FINA World Aquatics Championships

Rio de Janeiro, host of the 2016 Olympic Games, is bidding to host the 2015 FINA world long-course swim championships, the Brazil federation has announced. The bid has the backing of President of the Brazilian Olympic Committee and head of the 2016 organising commitee, Carlos Nuzman.

He said: "We hope for another big conquest for Brazilian sport. To bring the event to Rio a year before the Olympic Games we serve as a dress rehearsal to the big show Brazil will offer the world in 2016."

The choice of 2015 venue will be made by FINA during the 2011 world championships from July 16 to 31 in Shanghai. Dubai is scheduled to host the 2013 long-course championships after its own dress rehearsal at the world s/c championships this December.

http://www.swimnews.com/news/view/7642

I never heard of this differentiation between short- and long-course swimming. I mean there is only the regulation Olympic-sized pool; what is the cut-off point of short vs/ long?

And this does not include Diving and synchro swimming as well?

FINA administrates competitions with two lenghs of swimming pools.

Short - 25m

Long - 50m

During the Olympics there are only long-course competitions (Olympic-size = 50m).

I never heard of this differentiation between short- and long-course swimming. I mean there is only the regulation Olympic-sized pool; what is the cut-off point of short vs/ long?

And this does not include Diving and synchro swimming as well?

Short Course is 25 meters. Since gotosy said "Long Course" I take it that he is referring to the 2015 FINA World Aquatics Championships (the proper name), which encompasses swimming (50m), diving, water polo, synchronized swimming and open water swimming. However, there is also every other year (in even years) the FINA World Swimming Championships, which is a Short Course (25m) event.

The FINA World Aquatics Championships are held every two years in the odd years. 2005 was in Montreal, 2007 was in Melbourne, 2009 was in Rome, 2011 will be in Shanghai and 2013 will be in Dubai.

So, does that mean that short course is only for male swimmers below 6 ft. and females less than 5'10"? :lol:

Being just below 6 ft isn't short at allt! I'm about 5'11" (1,80m)...

Perhaps I didn't get you joke...

OMG! So with all these subcategories, are there going to be "YOG short-course Paralympic-for-under-13" events only? :blink:

There's been 25m FINA World Swimming Championships since 1993. It isn't something new...

Being just below 6 ft isn't short at allt! I'm about 5'11" (1,80m)...

Perhaps I didn't get you joke...

There's been 25m FINA World Swimming Championships since 1993. It isn't something new...

What I meant was if you're competing against the likes of a 6'6" Michael Phelps and all the others over 6'4", and you are below 6', then even if you actually clock as fast as Phelps, you are always at a disadvantage because they have longer bodies. So I was thinking that that's what the "short-course" events are for...for the shorter swimmers...just to level the playing field. (Yes, it was partly a joke. ;) ; but partly serious.)

• 2 weeks later...

I remeber reading in the Lancenet blog about how the thing is almost settled. The president of FINA has apparently 15 of the 22 votes secured and that he'll work to give Rio the Worlds (and, according to the blog, he'll work to stop any other city that's trying to get them). Honestly, that's kinda harsh, isn't it?

Ooops, forgot to put my source! http://blogs.lancenet.com.br/rio2016/2010/04/20/o-mundial-e-do-rio/ (portuguese only)

Edited by Dinhu4ever

It IS a great test event to have in the lead-up to 2016.

Sydney hosted the Pan-Pacs Swimming in the lead-up to 2000, and I remember that FINA was even a bit pissed off that we only did that as the swimming test event, intead of hosting the World Champs.

Indeed. It's relatively cheap to host them, the venues will be in place anyway (we hope so :P ) and swimming is a perennieal crowd favorite. Too bad we'll have to wait till 2011 to know if we'll host it for sure.

1. I suggested something like this, OG hosts getting preference to host World Champs pre Olympic Games as a test

OR

2. Cape Town might be bidding....this is so Greedy of Rio! Greedy!

I believe it was Julio Maglione's idea to hold the test event in the future Olympic venue as a test event, that's why he wants to secure the win for Rio.

Ok fine. Cape Town will swop 2015 and we get 2017.

Fair enough, then! You get 2010 WC, we get 2014 WC. We get 2015 FINA WAC, you get 2017 FINA WAC! And eye for an eye! :P

• 1 month later...

The primary reason that Dubai has pulled out of the 2013 World Aquatics Championships is that Dubai does not have an existing aquatic facility that is adequate or even a proposed facility. Might as well award the 2013 World Aquatics Championships to Moscow (one of the bid cities). Shouldn't have awarded the Championships to Dubai, I don't know why they even won in the first place.