PanAm Games in Central America

Mau2010

Well, as some people know PanAmerican Games have never been held in any Central American Country, so where do you think it should be the first Central American country were the PanAm games could be held? :rolleyes:

I would say Ciudad de Panamá or San José... it seems to me that both are the most developed cities and also in the most developed countries in CA. Guatemala is struggling with the violence, Honduras has also a lot of political problems...

Costa Rica, Guatemala and Panama are my picks. The most stable, largest, and fastest growing economies in the region. Costa Rica has a well developed tourism industry and Panama is developing theirs quite aggressively.

As others have said, Panama and Costa Rica are the most likely candidates. Although I can't see them bidding right now. Have any of them show any interest in doing so?

As others have said, Panama and Costa Rica are the most likely candidates. Although I can't see them bidding right now. Have any of them show any interest in doing so?

San José did for 2015, but we didn't qualify in the final four (three after Caracas declined)

Panama is devoting a lot of a money and energy into modernizing the Canal, they don't have the resources for the games right now.

They're organizing Central American Games (which opening ceremony is today BTW) and they're bidding for 2013 ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as some people know PanAmerican Games have never been held in any Central American Country, so where do you think it should be the first Central American country were the PanAm games could be held? :rolleyes:

Panama City or San Jose. Costa Rica is richer, but since Panama has a larger population, I think they could stand the investiments better. If Santo Domingo could host, they both can host too.

• 1 month later...

The Pan American Games have never been held in Central America. Central America's first Pan Am Games should go to Panama City. In that country, the Panama Canal is undergoing major expansion, all those huge condo towers are being built in the capital city, and the Rommel Fernandez Stadium has underwent a recent refurbishment. Rommel Fernandez Stadium can be the main stadium, and the National Stadium can be another venue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Think I've already shared my opinion on this subject. The question for the PanAms now is whether ODEPA want a Rio 2007 standard games or a Santo Domingo edition. Guadalajara, as much as I am aware, promises to follow the first option and, for sure, Toronto will do the same. So, if it is a tendency, there will be no much space left to bids from CA countries for obvious reasons.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think san jose is a great chice as well as panama city because of their fast growing economies which means a bigger budget and better quality games. And with the 2013 central american games in san jose and a potential 2019 central american and caribbean games bid for san jose the investment is really good.

Archived