The Way Gb Moderator Sees Things.

It's unbelievable. Accordingly to GB, the most remarkable thing that happened in 2009 was not Rio's vitcory, but Chicago's defeat. Then you find some American asking themselves "why did this happend to us?" or " I could never knew they were so upset against us?".

Yes, I thought the order a bit odd too. But thinking about it - and considering what this website is all about - it makes sense that way around:

The title of this thread should really be "The way Gamesbids.com sees things" ...

Chicago's defeat was more shocking and unexpected than Rio's victory and will certainly have bigger consequences in terms of Olympic bidding politics which is, don't forget, what this site is about.

In terms of what we'll be talking about over the next two or three years, and how the winter and summer bidding cycles will be affected, Chicago's loss is probably a bigger story than Rio's victory. That's just the way it is.

When talking about the Olympics themselves, nothing is bigger than Rio's victory this year. When talking about Olympic bids though - what this site is mainly about - nothing will have a bigger ripple effect than Chicago's defeat. You need to look at it from that angle Raphael, before getting too worked up.

Had Chicago been a respectable runner-up, this order would be unjustifiable. However, Chicago was a frontrunner and still the first out. It was one huge shocker, and some say it was the biggest shocker in the history of Olympic bids.

Rio's victory is not any more important than Beijing's or Mexico's. It's just cyclic. So I think Chicago's premature elimination deserved being number 1.

Raphael, there are at least 2 ways of seeing things. You Brazilians look at it from your Carioca POV...understandably. In case you haven't noticed, the rest of us don't.

Just a little comment. Foreign media frequently refers to Brazilians as cariocas, when it should only be used to refer to people from the city of Rio de Janeiro. Just like they refer to Argentinians as porteños, when it should only be used to people from Buenos Aires.

I don't skip work to go to the beach, I'm definetely not carioca :P JK, Rapha

It's unbelievable. Accordingly to GB, the most remarkable thing that happened in 2009 was not Rio's vitcory, but Chicago's defeat. Then you find some American asking themselves "why did this happend to us?" or " I could never knew they were so upset against us?".

I understand you point, Raphael, but, in my opinion, it's 50/50.

A South American bid - against all the prejudice, against all bets, against all "we don't trust you", against the GamesBids-Ann Marie's conspiracy theory - winning the Olympic Games was very important.

But, this site is based on North America, it's published in English, and for this audience the major moment in 2009 was Chicago bid loss.

As I undestand you but I can understand why GB choose the Chicago defeat.

That's just ok.

Besides that, GB made a great article on Rio's map during Copenhagen presentation. You should read this.

Dannyel, even if this site were in Portuguese and based in Brazil the most important story and the one with the biggest ripple-effect on future bids (note: not future Games), would still be Chicago's loss. It opens up questions about financing, the IOCs position in the world, the position of the Olympic Games' biggest funder within the IOC, the dynamics of future races etc. etc.

I think that's the point. This site isn't so much about the Olympic Games but Olympic bids. You've gotta come at it from that angle.

RobH,

I agree with you. Chicago's defeat (which means USA defeated) is a huge story for this site, since it's called GamesBids. How the biggest economic power got 4th is really shocking. Even for me. When Rogge announced that Chicago was out, I was in shock too.

But for me, Rio bid history (the Brazilian NOC studied the defeat in 2012 bid and then they learned to play the game) and how the so-called worst technical bid won is also a milestone in the Olympic Bid business.

Both stories was great. But if I work for gamesbids.com I would also choose Chicago' defeat.

Altough i find very surprising (altough i was always supporting the bid) Rio's victory over the other cities, i find kinda shocking as well Chicago's defeat. It was almost like a slap in the face, and the IOC clearly stated doing this, that they simply DO NOT WANT another games on the USA, at least for some time. The Chicago 2016 failure, will affect greatly future bids from the USOC for sure, and they should need to make better strategies and plans for the future in order to prevent another stunning defeat like in Copenhaguen.

Altough i find very surprising (altough i was always supporting the bid) Rio's victory over the other cities, i find kinda shocking as well Chicago's defeat. It was almost like a slap in the face, and the IOC clearly stated doing this, that they simply DO NOT WANT another games on the USA, at least for some time. The Chicago 2016 failure, will affect greatly future bids from the USOC for sure, and they should need to make better strategies and plans for the future in order to prevent another stunning defeat like in Copenhaguen.

Exactly.

Maybe the Chicago defeat should affect more the next races than Rio victory. I agree with this.

It was lunchtime here when they announced Chicago's first round elimination. I got pale and lost the appetite. Seriously.

I believed in a Rio victory all the time. But Chicago coming behind Tokyo and Madrid?!? Not in a million years.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree <_<

Had Chicago been a respectable runner-up, this order would be unjustifiable. However, Chicago was a frontrunner and still the first out. It was one huge shocker, and some say it was the biggest shocker in the history of Olympic bids.

Rio's victory is not any more important than Beijing's or Mexico's. It's just cyclic. So I think Chicago's premature elimination deserved being number 1.

My God, this is absurd. I do not believe I read it.

Chicago wanted to host the games for the 5th time in U.S.A and was defeated. The victory of Rio is the start of the games in the tropical world, in South America, in Brazil ... The Brazilian victory represented the most important news of more than 300 newspapers around the world. The defeat of Chicago is only more important than de Rio's victory in the minds of Americans and some paulistas :lol:

Sorry but Rio was the highlight of newspapers on 2 and 3 october:

El País (Espanha): "Un nuevo Río para 2016" or in english "A New Rio For 2016"

The Wall Street Journal (USA): "Rio Faces Olympic Hurdles as It Girds for Games"

The Guardian (UK): "Brazil looks to transform sporting greatness into gold on world stage"

Japan Times: "2016 Olympics bond for Rio"

USA Today: "Rio wins 2016 Olympic Games in landslide over Madrid"

The Economist: "Rio's sporting carnival"

The New York Times: "Rio wins the bid for Olympics 2016"

BBC: "Rio will host the Olympics"

Olé (Argentina): "The Cup and the torch"

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/folha/esporte...92u633559.shtml

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/folha/esporte...92u632822.shtml

http://blogs.abril.com.br/rio-2016/2009/10...o-rio-2016.html

Sorry american friends, paulistas friends and crazy friends ;)

But this site deals with Olympic bidding first and foremost, not the Olympics themselves. The most important story for the Olympics was obviously Rio's victory - I don't think anyone is disputing that. But the most important story for future Olympic bid races was Chicago's defeat. That's why Rob (GBMod) has put the defeat of Chicago as #1.

If you wrote a journal on "Innovative Concrete structures" you'd write a lot about Beijing's stadium and Usain Bolt's victory may only be a footnote. Doesn't mean the concrete is more important than the Olympic 100m to the rest of the world, it's just that that publication happens to be more interested in that aspect. It's the same with this top 10.

Honestly, Cauê, if your jaw didn't drop when Chicago was eliminated on the first round, you are probably the best psychic ever. Chicago's elimination can actually be called stunning because nobody was expecting this. I stared at my pc screen with my best "WTF?" expression for a good time after Rogge's words. Rio's victory was far (and I mean FAR) more likely than Chicago's early elimination. A lot of people here were dismissing Madrid's bid as a poorly timed attempt, and look where this got them.

And, as RobH has put it, Olympic Bid-wise, this turn of events is way more important than Rio's victory.

And this isn't just some crazy american/paulista/capitalis/burgeois thing. As you can see, some of Rio's fiercest supporters have expressed their feelings on the matter. Being a carioca da gema and a Rio supporter myself, I have to agree with them and say that Chicago's defeat deserved the number one spot.

Cauê, for the olympic movement, Rio's victory was the #1 thing last year, I agree with you.

But for those addicted to bids (remember, the name of this site is Games Bids) the most important moment in 2009 was the Chicago elimination. Maybe, for those who love the Olympic Games elections, the Chicago elimination could be the biggest moment ever...

I can say it's a 50/50 situation because the way Rio faced the challenges to win the bid was just amazing but when people have to choose a winner in this tied situation, we get the more shocking news.

As some Americans said.. It was an Epic Fail...

Yes! For a small group of people, the elimination of Chicago was more important.

To the world, Rio's victory was much more important.

The early elimination of chicago will be remembered by a small group of people in the world. The choice of Rio is part of the history of South America.

Obviously Rio winning the right to stage the Olympic games in 2016 was the most noteworthy, Olympic related story of the year. To dispute that is pure silliness.

And by extension, Chicago losing in the first round was also a noteworthy story, especially on this website which considers the bidding process of cities and their bids.

However, just from reading some of the posts throughout this site, I do get the impression that a lot of Americans felt shunned by the decision and as a result have vented a lot of anger. But was the decision really surprising? I mean, Chicago had the third best bid after Tokyo and Madrid and ranked above Rio's. We know that the IOC had basically set Rio up for the win and thus this sentiment, combined with Chicago's adequate bid meant they were destined for a loss. Further, Spain's huge bargaining power combined with an outstanding bid meant that Chicago could neither use sentimentality to win nor the claim that it had the best bid thus a first round defeat did not surprise me. But I digress...

I don't think Gamesbids is wrong in it's claim that Chicago's first round loss was the most noteworthy story of the year in relation to the purpose of this website which is about discussing the actual bid process.

Yes! For a small group of people, the elimination of Chicago was more important.

To the world, Rio's victory was much more important.

The early elimination of chicago will be remembered by a small group of people in the world. The choice of Rio is part of the history of South America.

For entire Spain the most important sports news last year was the Madrid defeat.

For those from Madrid, they are still complaining about everything on IOC (this will count again in future bids...) and for those from Barcelona, for example, they are still celebrating because local rivalry...

Each people have the right to have one opinion.

For entire Spain the most important sports news last year was the Madrid defeat.

For those from Madrid, they are still complaining about everything on IOC (this will count again in future bids...) and for those from Barcelona, for example, they are still celebrating because local rivalry...

Each people have the right to have one opinion.

Oh my God... This is serious? This is great news for me :lol:

For entire Spain the most important sports news last year was the Madrid defeat. For entire Japan the most important sports news last year was the Tokyo defeat. For entire USA the most important sports news last year was the Chicago defeat.

For 300 layers of newspapers around the world, the choice of Rio was "The" news. Why is it so Difficult to Agree? My God ... :(

Archived