2016- where?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's why it's killing me right now hearing nothing about NYC's intentions. I just hope our City bids again. I'm pretty confident this is their best chance.

Mayor Bloomberg and everybody else potentially interested in another bid are probably just heeding the USOC's word. They're going to make a decision after the Torino Games. Chicago is losing points with the IOC, making moves that caused NYC2012's downfall. I'm not worrying yet.

That's why it's killing me right now hearing nothing about NYC's intentions. I just hope our City bids again. I'm pretty confident this is their best chance.

Mayor Bloomberg and everybody else potentially interested in another bid are probably just heeding the USOC's word. They're going to make a decision after the Torino Games. Chicago is losing points with the IOC, making moves that caused NYC2012's downfall. I'm not worrying yet.

Bloomberg is not keeping it totally mum though, he's still giving us hints here and there by pushing forward with some of the venues planned for NYC2012 without saying anything that it is related to a potential 2016 bid essentially following what the USOC advised.

I agree though, Chicago's potential problems are starting to come out now. They can't have a "West-Side Stadium" problem, but I think it's a question mark providing their potential bid with a track and field stadium without building something from scratch. Unless, they'll try to copy NYC2012's plan for Shea? Is there any sports facilities, walking distance to US Cellular or Wrigley? Are they willing to rebuild and configure to track and field, the most expensive stadium in the country, Soldier Field?

Regarding NYC's Olympic Village, if they decide to build it next to the Olympic Park, here's one potential site. And this is a huge one...

Flushing Airport Site

Suggestion from www.newyorkgames.org

OK.  That's good news.  However, the only problem is, can they keep it vacant for the next 9 years?  I mean they would have to start building the Village in 2014, but in the meantime, it cannot be committed to ANY OTHER long-term use.

Regarding NYC's Olympic Village, if they decide to build it next to the Olympic Park, here's one potential site. And this is a huge one...

Flushing Airport Site

Suggestion from www.newyorkgames.org

OK.  That's good news.  However, the only problem is, can they keep it vacant for the next 9 years?  I mean they would have to start building the Village in 2014, but in the meantime, it cannot be committed to ANY OTHER long-term use.

Like what www.newyorkgames.org suggested, it's owned by the city. The City can do whatever they want on this land. It's land that's sitting there near the existing (Olympic) Sports Complex, and can be used for the Olympic Village as well as other facilities that can be built in the "forgotten" piece of land.

We may very well have a huge Olympic Sports Complex if everything in this part of the city is utilized. You can get more info regarding this parcel of land from some of the following websites...

Forgetten-New York 2001

Forgotten-New York 1999

GlobalAir

I've never realized just how humongous the city is, and just how much resources they can utilize. I guess we just have to look and we might stumble into something that we can invest in to. Maybe we can hold Mayor Mike now to his promise that he is a Mayor of the 5 Boroughs, not just Manhattan.

For God's sake, even Silver and Bruno are pushing for a 2016 bid. :grinning:

U're kidding?  THose 2 Judases are?  Shame on them.

Even though they're the Judases of NYC2012. I do hope they'll be joining forces with the Mayor for a possible 2016 bid. They'll be the ones who will be approving funds for any potential venue owned by the State of New York.

For sure it is not Europe's time in 2016 (because of London 2012). Neither Asia because of Beijing 2008 (and may be PJ 2014).

It is for the American continent : North (USA) or south (Brasil ?).

You will say : and what about South Africa ? Too erlay after the soccer world cup !

For sure it is not Europe's time in 2016 (because of London 2012). Neither Asia because of Beijing 2008 (and may be PJ 2014).

Tokyo will be a strong contender in 2016...

Beijing and Korea will not stop Japan from bidding (or winning) 2016. THe United States had Atlanta, a FIFA World Cup and Salt Lake City in a short period so what makes you think Japan can host  the games (which they havnt had for 40years; summer) just becuase someone in their region has had them? We might as well count out Madrid, Paris, Berlin ect. until 2024 just becuase of London 2012 then....

Beijing and Korea will not stop Japan from bidding (or winning) 2016. THe United States had Atlanta, a FIFA World Cup and Salt Lake City in a short period so what makes you think Japan can host  the games (which they havnt had for 40years; summer) just becuase someone in their region has had them? We might as well count out Madrid, Paris, Berlin ect. until 2024 just becuase of London 2012 then....

you're right and Japan still is an important economic country.

I would like to see the Games in Rio or Sao Paulo but Brazil will organize the Fifa world cup in 2014. World Cup in 2014 and SOG in 2016: it will be very difficult.

I would like to see the Games in Rio or Sao Paulo but Brazil will organize the Fifa world cup in 2014. World Cup in 2014 and SOG in 2016: it will be very difficult.

I put Rio as having a good shot in 2020.

But, I'm not so sure about 2016.

They will hold the 2007 Pan-American Games, as they will the FIFA World Cup in 2014.

2020 looks like a better year for the Brazilian city to bid for.

I put Rio as having a good shot in 2020.

But, I'm not so sure about 2016.

They will hold the 2007 Pan-American Games, as they will the FIFA World Cup in 2014.

2020 looks like a better year for the Brazilian city to bid for.

I prefer Rio hosting in 2024. 2020 will go to a European city (preferibly Madrid  :P ). 2016- NYC!!! :upside:

With so many important cities considering bidding for the Summer Games at the moment the chances for places such as Cape Town and Rio may be reduced as they are squeezed out in the shortlisting stage by the likes of Tokyo, Rome, New York, Berlin, etc.  They may find they have to wait until the current batch of possibly "safer" alternatives has been exhausted.  Once the likes of Tokyo 2016, New York 2020, Paris 2024 have occurred the IOC may be more willing to take a gamble on a new frontier.

This would be unfortunate in my opinion - I would love to see an Olympics in Cape Town, Delhi and Rio, but then I'd also love to see one in each of Paris, New York, Tokyo and Berlin as well - too many brilliant cities, too few Summer Olympics to go around!

With so many important cities considering bidding for the Summer Games at the moment the chances for places such as Cape Town and Rio may be reduced as they are squeezed out in the shortlisting stage by the likes of Tokyo, Rome, New York, Berlin, etc.  They may find they have to wait until the current batch of possibly "safer" alternatives has been exhausted.  Once the likes of Tokyo 2016, New York 2020, Paris 2024 have occurred the IOC may be more willing to take a gamble on a new frontier.

This would be unfortunate in my opinion - I would love to see an Olympics in Cape Town, Delhi and Rio, but then I'd also love to see one in each of Paris, New York, Tokyo and Berlin as well - too many brilliant cities, too few Summer Olympics to go around!

Why do you always forget Madrid? :suspect: WE ALSO EXIST AND WE ALSO WANT THE GAMES, AS PARIS, BERLIN AND THE CITIES YOU NAME IN YOUR POST... AND THE IOC SAID MADRID IN SINGAPORE THAT THEY WAIT US IN FUTURE BID PROCESSES? :rolleyes:

And you forget also Rome: it finished as runner-up in 2004 (and I remember you that Berlin didn't finish as runner-up in 2000)...

Because Mikel, for the size and influence of Spain, it's had its quota for a Summer Games in Barcelona in 1992.  You make it appear that Spain is like the 2nd or 3rd greatest Olympic power and that therefore the world owes it another SOG soon.  

There are other countries who carry greater weight and influence in the Olympic world who would want their turn too.  Don't take it personally; that's just the way it is.

Why do you always forget Madrid? :suspect: WE ALSO EXIST AND WE ALSO WANT THE GAMES, AS PARIS, BERLIN AND THE CITIES YOU NAME IN YOUR POST... AND THE IOC SAID MADRID IN SINGAPORE THAT THEY WAIT US IN FUTURE BID PROCESSES? :rolleyes:

And you forget also Rome: it finished as runner-up in 2004 (and I remember you that Berlin didn't finish as runner-up in 2000)...

Mikel - Madrid's a really nice city to visit, I'm sure that it will host a Summer Games one day - I'm sorry though but I agree with much of what baron has said on this occassion, I feel it's too soon for a Madrid Summer Olympics before countries like France, Italy and Germany have had another chance.  1992 is not so long ago and the Barcelona Games were phenomenal so nobody doubts Spain's capabilities of providing a successful event, it's just that so many other places deserve their go.

The list I made above was not a scientific calculation by myself - it was just the names of cities that popped into my head while I typed the post - I promise that next time I make a random list of future hosts Madrid's name will be included.

:)

2016 - New York City (USA)

2020 - Buenos Aires (ARG)

2024 - Rome (ITA)

2028 - Tokyo (JPN)

2032 - Cape Town (RSA)

2036 - Auckland (NZL)

2040 - Rio de Janeiro (BRA)

2044 - Madrid (ESP)

2048 - Cairo (EGY)

Too bad....no room for Amsterdam! Well then we just stage European Games (new!)

2016 - New York City (USA)

2020 - Buenos Aires (ARG)

2024 - Rome (ITA)

2028 - Tokyo (JPN)

2032 - Cape Town (RSA)

2036 - Auckland (NZL)

2040 - Rio de Janeiro (BRA)

2044 - Madrid (ESP)

2048 - Cairo (EGY)

Too bad....no room for Amsterdam! Well then we just stage European Games (new!)

Also nice would be:

2016 - Chicago (USA)

2020 - Berlin (GER)

2024 - Bangkok (THA)

2028 - Rio de Janeiro (BRA)

2032 - Tunis (TUN)

2036 - Melbourne (AUS)

2040 - Toronto (CAN)

2044 - Kuala Lumpur (MAS)

2048 - Amsterdam (NED)

But any list would be interesting....

Because Mikel, for the size and influence of Spain, it's had its quota for a Summer Games in Barcelona in 1992.  You make it appear that Spain is like the 2nd or 3rd greatest Olympic power and that therefore the world owes it another SOG soon.  

There are other countries who carry greater weight and influence in the Olympic world who would want their turn too.  Don't take it personally; that's just the way it is.

Sorry if my post sound so "Spanizied" but I only try that the people realise we are here, too. I don't know when (maybe 2020 it's a bit soon), but I know Madrid will get a Summer Olympics before I die.

Archived