Swimming

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG!!!! I hope this doesn't sound boastful but Mark Spitz I always thought was an arrogant A$$, so I am thrilled to see Phelps, at the least, tie his record (and there was a reason he (Spitz) wasn't invited to participate in LA84).

i hope Dara Torres wins the 50M.

I am such a fan of Dara Torres. To me, if she wins this, it should be Wheaties box baaaaaby!!!!!!!!!!

3 or 4 medals in Atlanta and 1 in Sydney. It has been on a slide since LA in 84 but Swim Canada doesn't feel like doing anything about it until the embarrassment in Athens. We went from 13 finals in 96, 11 in 00 to 3 in 04.

In LA84 we won 4 gold, 3 silver and 3 bronze, many of them in times that boycott countries would have been hard pressed to beat, especially 3 of the gold. 1 silver and 1 bronze in Seoul, 1 gold and 1 bronze in Barcelona, 1 silver and 2 bronze in Atlanta and 1 bronze in Sydney. 3 of the last 4 medals were won by the same guy.

I don't understand this. Canada has all these facilities in Montreal - seems like they should be up there with the Aussies and the States.

It almost seems like Canada has given up on SOG's and only concentrates on WOG's. Nothing wrong with that - works for Norway.

I just read that FINA anaylzed Phlelps race to thousandths of a second after a protest, amazing.

thousands of a second was gotton rid of years ago?

The Serbs filed a protest and FINA reviewed down to a thousandths of a second, and conceded that Phelps was still the winner.

Amazing. I wonder why, since thousands of a second was taken away years ago.

Apparently they actually reviewed down to 10-thousandths of a seconds......

He got his hands on the wall a hundredth of a second ahead of Cavic -- a finish so close the Serbians filed a protest and swimming's governing body had to review the tape down to the 10-thousandth of a second.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/swi...tory?id=3537831

wow, thats amazingly close. It prolly came down to the force at which Phelps hit the wall.

In some ways, the swim meet's gone close to what we expected. The women have held up their promise _ all our golds are from them. The men have some promise, but were onbviously going to be a bit down after Thorpe's retirement. A bit unlucky only to get silver in two of our swims (Jones and Trickett, but I certainly don't begrudge Trickett's loss to Britta Steffen). It's actually not swimming I'm most worried about for the Aussies, but outside _ we've had bugger all outside the Water Cube, a few minors. We'll really ned to diversify if we want to maintain our rankings. As I've said all along, I'll be happy if we're in double figures for golds, and ecstatic if we beat again the Melbourne 1956 standard of 13.

Begrudgingly agree. The swimmers could have won a whole lot more Gold's, but it is an Olympics and they have been beaten by WR's or extremely close finishes. I my mind, shooting and road cycling have been our biggest disappointments. In shooting, 3 world No.1's and 2 hot favourites for gold; for 1 bronze and 4th place. In road cycling, we had a genuine chance of winning gold in 3 of 4 events, but came away without a medal.

I don't understand this. Canada has all these facilities in Montreal - seems like they should be up there with the Aussies and the States.

It almost seems like Canada has given up on SOG's and only concentrates on WOG's. Nothing wrong with that - works for Norway.

It really wasn't until 1992 when freestyle skiing, curling, and short track speed skating were added between 1992 and 1998 that Canada started to preform well. Even as late as 1994/1996 we we doing better in the Summer and 1998/2000 was close 14 to 15, the separation started in 2002/2004 around the time we got the games.

The problem with Canadian sport is that the COC is not willing to follow the Australian model of only funding certain sports. The COC should be concentrating the money in rowing, canoe/kayaking, athletics, aquatics, wrestling, taekwondo, judo, equestrian, gymnastics - sports that have lots of medals and there is high levels of participation in those.

I am such a fan of Dara Torres. To me, if she wins this, it should be Wheaties box baaaaaby!!!!!!!!!!

if Dara wins i bet its not only wheaties. several fashion mags will try to land her on the cover. before it was revealed she cheated Marion Jones graced the covers of Vogue. could it be a Vogue cover for Dara if she wins? let's see.

if Dara wins i bet its not only wheaties. several fashion mags will try to land her on the cover. before it was revealed she cheated Marion Jones graced the covers of Vogue. could it be a Vogue cover for Dara if she wins? let's see.

Nobody from ANY country, including mine, is above questioning any longer.

Nobody from ANY country, including mine, is above questioning any longer.

i wasn't questioning Dara. i admire the lady wish a lot of athletes have that drive to continue. what i said in the second sentence was simply Marion was highly regarded and landed a Vogue cover until she admitted her guilt.

Adlington wins 800m freestyle for Britain breaking a 19 year old world record - a record that was as old as her!

:lol:

Not only that, but she's also the first British swimmer to win two golds at one Olympics in a hundred years. And it was hardly ever in doubt.

Not only that, but she's also the first British swimmer to win two golds at one Olympics in a hundred years. And it was hardly ever in doubt.

Adlington will head to the London Games with enormous pressure to better her Beijing performance.

i wasn't questioning Dara. i admire the lady wish a lot of athletes have that drive to continue. what i said in the second sentence was simply Marion was highly regarded and landed a Vogue cover until she admitted her guilt.

I know you weren't. I despise dopers - I despise Marion Jones now when I used to admire her. I hope I am not disappointed again if something comes out about Dara.

She is a true legend of British Swimming! It couldn't have happened to a nicer person! She paced the 400 to perfection and the 800 speaks for itself.

I used to swim with her on Nova, the strange thing is, when she was younger, there were at least two other girls who were far better than her! I guess it just goes to show that success at a young age doesn't always mean success when it really counts!

Adlington will head to the London Games with enormous pressure to better her Beijing performance.

Inevitable really. I heard she could have competed in the 200 metres in Beijing but chose not to. I reckon we'll see her in that come London. She's in flag bearing, flame lighting, gong receiving and SPOTY territory now.

I know you weren't. I despise dopers - I despise Marion Jones now when I used to admire her. I hope I am not disappointed again if something comes out about Dara.

misinterpreted it. i'm sure your aware that Dara and Phelps takes part in an enhance dope testing.

misinterpreted it. i'm sure your aware that Dara and Phelps takes part in an enhance dope testing.

Yes I am. Again, I hope I am not disappointed.

I would like to think that people who demand that they are tested for doping are clean but even from my own country, I have doubts. Too many lies the past few years.