Swimming

nykfan845

But never mind all that. The town of Mansfield in Nottinghamshire has not had much to celebrate on the sporting front lately, but they have this morning. There will be some party when Becki Adlington gets back from China, maybe with two gold medals in her luggage. Good to see some of my colleagues at Mansfield are as awake as me.

Golden girl Rebecca is Olympic swimming champion

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight's Swimming action have begun.

Should be interesting to see whether or not the comment by that Frenchman about how they're going to "smash" us Americans in the 4x100 Free holds up or not.

I think that's what you call winding up your opposition. And 3.08 for a 4x100? Ridiculous.

Quick word also for the British team. Finished 8th, but took another second off the national record, having taken five seconds off it to get into the final. There appears to be momentum developing there.

400M Freestule Women's

Gold: Adlington, Great Britain

Silver: Hoff, USA

Bronze: Jackson, Great Britain

:o

I nearly posted last night that I didn't expect Britain to win anything in the swimming pool, or perhaps a couple of bronzes at best - really pleased to wake up to this news.

I wish I didn'thave to work today! :angry:

Although no one could expect more than only one or two German medals in Beijing's Olympic pool, the German swimmers are currently experiencing a shocking disaster.

Annika Lurz, silver medallist in both the women's 200 m and 4x200 m freestyle at the 2007 World Championships in Melbourne and European record holder in the 4x200 m freestyle, failed to reach even the semi-final of the women's 200 m freestyle. She swam 4.3 seconds slower than her own German record! In Sports Illustrated's medal picks, Lurz was set as silver medallist.

Also European record holders Helge Meeuw (men's 100 m backstroke) and Sarah Poewe (women's 100 m breaststroke) delivered abysmal performances in their heats already yesterday, when they swam 1.8 respectively 1.6 seconds slower than their own records.

The worst performances were delivered today by the two only female German individual medley swimmers, Katharina Schiller and Sonja Schöber. Actually there were far from being expected medallists (in fact, they are rather unknown in Germany) -- but despite that lack of pressure, each of them swam about five (!) seconds slower than their personal best in today's heats for the 200 m IM.

Former World Champion and world record holder Franziska van Almsick was devastated and said that the swimmers may deliver such performances in training at home, but not at the Olympic Games.

Only former multiple world record holder and European Champion Britta Steffen and current European Champion Paul Biedermann deliver decent performances currently. But one should ask how long they are able to keep that -- since the whole German swimming team seems to be afflicted by the "Olympic curse" again. I don't know what is wrong with them. They even have psychological help meanwhile to overcome their fear of such big competitions like the Olympic Games, but nevertheless, it gets worse and worse.

I can tell you: As a German, there's really not much to cheer about in those first days of each Olympic Games. I already count the days until the first medals in the strong German disciplines (especially canoeing and equestrian) are awarded.

I can tell you: As a German, there's really not much to cheer about in those first days of each Olympic Games. I already count the days until the first medals in the strong German disciplines (especially canoeing and equestrian) are awarded.

lol - I totally agree!

great round of finals today with the relay a real classic. Really France should have won from this point though

BUT THEY DIDN'T :lol: :lol: :lol: So much for "crushing."

Good Luck Singapore! I was very impressed with Li

Some aren't as impressed thou...it was reported that some Australian coashes commented to Li's coach that a swimmer of her size cannot produce world-class results. :P

Still, I am very impressed by what she achieved despite not winning a medal. As the first Singaporean swimmer ever to reach the Olympic finals, she has set a broken not just the Asian record twice, but broken a pervasive mental block in many young Singaporean swimmers that they cannot reach an Olympic final, or even a medal.

Awesome, just awesome. First British swimming gold since 1988. First medal by a female British swimmer since 1984. First gold for a female British swimmer since 1960. That is how historic what we have seen this morning is. I watched it. I'm absolutely buzzing right now. Further sleep is impossible. And Adlington's best event is still to come.

How hacked off must Katie Hoff be, though?

So you took my advice then! :D I managed to sleep in though and had to watch the highlights... :(

Awesome, awesome, awesome! It was worth staying up late to witness that phenomenal 4x100m relay final! Five teams under the previous WR since the very beggining - amazing! And that last US swimmer pratically FLEW on that last stroke! Incredible comeback :o No wonder Phelps was hysterical with joy, haha!

To be honest, I'd not slept very much and had got fed up by four so I thought I might as well get up and watch it, thinking that I'd probably be able to get to sleep more easily afterwards. I'm feeling it now.

Aww bless you! Can you get an early night tonight? I'm not really expecting a medal in the swimming tomorrow. Tancock might do it, he has done well just recentl, but our best medal hopes are in the Eventing, Equestrian - probably silver or bronze!