Euro 2008

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I'm a little confused. Are you talking about the subject of this thread, or have you stumbled into what you thought was something about that strange game they play the other side of the Pond but confusingly use the same word for?

I don't like Ribery that much, but he is good and Bayern needs him so hopefully injury is not too serious.

I was impressed with Huntelaar, I would like him to join Bayern but with Podolski, Klose, Toni its not likely

Sorry, I'm a little confused. Are you talking about the subject of this thread, or have you stumbled into what you thought was something about that strange game they play the other side of the Pond but confusingly use the same word for?

Duh. arwebb. Precisely this one -- to differentiate it from the Yank kind.

According to reports Podolski is doubtful for Thursday with a calf injury. I hope they start Kuranyi instead of Gomez.

Anyways

Spain 4 - 0 Greece

Sweden 1 - 3 Russia

Quarterfinals

Portugal 3 - 1 Germany

Croatia 2 - 0 Turkey

Netherlands 4 - 1 Russia

Spain 3 - 2 Italy

Semi-finals

Croatia 1 -1 Portugal - 5 - 3 on penalties

Netherlands 3 - 1 Spain

Final

Netherlands 2 - 2 Croatia, Robin van Persie scores in the 2nd et for a 3-2 win for the Dutch, 20 years after their only other triumph.

According to reports Podolski is doubtful for Thursday with a calf injury. I hope they start Kuranyi instead of Gomez.

Anyways

Spain 4 - 0 Greece

Sweden 1 - 3 Russia

Quarterfinals

Portugal 3 - 1 Germany

Croatia 2 - 0 Turkey

Netherlands 4 - 1 Russia

Spain 3 - 2 Italy

Semi-finals

Croatia 1 -1 Portugal - 5 - 3 on penalties

Netherlands 3 - 1 Spain

Final

Netherlands 2 - 2 Croatia, Robin van Persie scores in the 2nd et for a 3-2 win for the Dutch, 20 years after their only other triumph.

I'll just give my predictions for the Quarterfinals now.

Quarterfinals

Portugal 0 - 2 Germany

Croatia 2 - 1 Turkey

Netherlands 3 - 1 Sweden

Spain 1 - 2 Italy

Congrat to Italy, Domenech really made a wrong tactics, why he's put abidal as a central defender ? BTW for italian, I have question, where is Alesandro Nesta ? I miss the news about him, why he isn't in the squad for 2008 ? Is he already retired ? Or is he injuried ?

Today's prediction :

Spain "B" Team 2 - 0 Greece

Russia 1 - 0 Sweden

Quarter Final's prediction :

Portugal 0 - 2 Germany (I knew that German not played their best until know, but we all know, German are a slow starter, so I hope they become more stronger in quarter ;) )

Croatia 1 - 0 Turkey (But I'm not so sure about this, Turkey are really a lucky team, they scored the winning goal again Switzerland in the last minute, They beat Czech because Cech -one of the best goalkeeper in the world- made a terrible mistake, so maybe Turkey have another luck to defeat Croatia ? Or maybe they just lost they luck ? ;) )

Holland 3 - 0 Russia (The favorite of the tournament now, if they can keep their best games, like when they are defeat Italy and France, who can win again Holland ? BTW, for dutch people, which one prefer I called your country Netherlands or Holland ? )

Spain 2 - 0 Italy (For me Spain is second favorite in this tournament, so I hope Spain can beat Italy ;) )

Oh no, please not Kuranyi! He sucked big time in the final test match against Serbia, and that was even before his Schalke home audience. But on the other hand, I don't know whether it's a good idea to have our joker Neuville already in the starting 11.

Maybe the best is if Podolski recovers.

Anyway, my predictions for today:

Greece-Spain 0-1

Russia-Sweden 1-2

Another win for the Dutch team :D

It was just a B team, the match was boring.. in the beginning. I can not catch why the Romanian team was not fighting. They knew what they had to do to go to the quarter finals.

Well I think Sweden will be go also to the quarter finales.

A computer said the semi finales will be Netherlands-Italy and Germany-Croatia.

The final will be Germany-Netherlands.. and the computer said the Dutch will be the champion. Until now the computer was not wrong this tournament.

Another win for the Dutch team :D

It was just a B team, the match was boring.. in the beginning. I can not catch why the Romanian team was not fighting. They knew what they had to do to go to the quarter finals.

Well I think Sweden will be go also to the quarter finales.

A computer said the semi finales will be Netherlands-Italy and Germany-Croatia.

The final will be Germany-Netherlands.. and the computer said the Dutch will be the champion. Until now the computer was not wrong this tournament.

What computer is that? Does it calculate the chances of each team with statistical data or is it simply "guessing" the chances?

..where is Alesandro Nesta ? I miss the news about him, why he isn't in the squad for 2008 ? Is he already retired ? Or is he injuried ?

Both things. He definetely quitted the squad by rejecting Donadoni's call for 2008. It's to be said that he always suffered injuries or weak physical conditions when it came with the Nazionale. He did have much bad luck on this side in the past.

btw hope italy would furtherly improve its still inconclusive attack and confused defence against Spain. And talking about history it seems that these Euros are rediscussing some classic-rivalry statistics: Holland beating Italy, Italy beating France.. Spain didn't beat Italy in official t. since almost 80 years I heard so.. it might be the good time for Spain to finally go ahead and get the title?

For me, Italy on Sunday night is a massive test for Spain. I know they've won the group with a bit to spare, but they haven't played one of the top sides yet. Nobody really fancied France to beat them at the World Cup, but they did. Italy could yet do the same.

And Greece are leading 1-0 against Spain? Although Spain only has a B squad tonight, I don't feel that Greece deserves this. It's not understandable for me anyway that after that shameful performance especially against Sweden, Otto Rehhagel will stay in charge.

And deservedly so. Sweden have given it their best shot in this second half, but I'm afraid it's one tournament too far for many of their players. Russia deserve to be in the last eight and Holland v Hiddink's Russia should make for an intriguing quarter-final.

Russia has defeated Sweden 2-0 -- and luckily, Spain defeated Greece 2-1. And in his first post-match statement, Rehakles still euphemised the abysmal performance of his team. As German, I feel ashame for such a egomaniac, fossil coach. Otto, it's still time for you to go!

Archived