Euro 2008

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The German team performance was totally different than in the previous round - very well played - exciting and effective...

There was still some problems and areas that can be improved and in reality that is a good thing because if they can beat a team like Portugal while still needing improvement, who knows.

Who approved this TV sked? Not being a morning person, I am not nearly enjoying these games as much if they were in the PM. Must find the yahoo responsible for this terrible programming and have him sacked!!!

But, good game Tedescos and Lusitanians!!

lol - it is 11:00 p.m. right now in Germany and I suppose there will be celebrations the whole night - after every goal fire crackers were lit in the backyard behind my flat (although private fire crackers are only alowed in Germany at new years eve and new year)

There was still some problems and areas that can be improved and in reality that is a good thing because if they can beat a team like Portugal while still needing improvement, who knows.

I know, but I am just glad that Germany didn't played as awful as vs. Croatia or awkward vs. Austria...

(if they had lost this match I wouldn't have been annoyed since they played good - I hope that is the right tense in the if clause - I "hate" if-clauses)

I know, but I am just glad that Germany didn't played as awful as vs. Croatia or awkward vs. Austria...

(if Germany had lost this match I wouldn't have been annoyed since they played well - I hope that is the right tense in the if clause - I "hate" if-clauses)

Probably pinching himself.

This game has been unbelievable and if Germany wins it would be out of this world.

LOL - Well he better stop pinching himself as the "dream" has turned into reality for him. :P

Congratulations to Germany on a very well played game. They came out quite strong, organized and managed to withstand several Portugese attacks at the end of the match. I never really lost hope in the Germans as I always knew that they would be able to pull it off when they're under pressure (much like the Turks). :lol:

And my signature stays!!!!!

Unbelievable, this German team really offers us the full emotions -- joy after the Poland match, despair after the Croatia match, resignation after the Austria match and then this absolutely stunning comeback!

For those of you who wondered where I am: I was at a public viewing at a bar in my small 30,000-inhabitants home town Haan. You can't imagine what is currently going on in the centre of this actually very calm, unspectacular city. A huge crowd is celebrating on the main street (which had to be barricaded by the police), dozens and dozens of cars are out for a parade and nobody is able to believe yet what has just happened. For such a small town its an incredible spectacle.

And what now? Despite this overwhelming (but certainly not extremely comfortable) victory, I'm still fearful of a team like Croatia as our semi-final opponent. They could try to destroy our game just over again, and then we have the same result as in the group stage. One could see tonight that in football, if the opponent allows you to play your game and press from the first minute, you suddenly gain momentum and a lot of confidence. At least, it was enough confidence to carry this thing through to the 95th minute.

But nevertheless, now it's time for celebration first. And we can still plan for our semi-final tomorrow, after we know the name of our opponent.

Finally, kudos to the Portuguese team which were, despite that certainly demoralising 2-0 lead of the Germans, a great opponent with tons of spirit. It was just like in the 2006 World Cup quarter-final against Argentina: Actually, both teams deserved to advance to the next round.

And please: Could someone pinch me? I'm pinching myself all the time, and I still can't believe what happened tonight.

I'm losing my English right now. ;)

"Resignation" is, of course, not the right English word. "Resignation" is German and means: The state of mind when you lose hope completely.

Anyway, many, many thanks for your kind congratulations.

"Resignation" is, of course, not the right English word. "Resignation" is German and means: The state of mind when you lose hope completely.

lol - when I read your post - I didn't even recognise that you used the wrong word - I understood it...

;)

@ Olympian,

I wonder why the ARD has to invite these morons of "Beckenbauer" and Pocher into the Waldi's Talk Show - I can't stand them...

I don't mean that arrogantly: But tonight, I couldn't care less. Although I actually like that Beckenbauer impersonator. And Pocher was quite amusing (and impressing) when he won the million in "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?".

However, for me, the most important thing is that this tournament is still not over for our team.

Congratulations to Germany, for being more effective, making less errors and taking advantage of those made by Portuguese defence. Apart from this, both teams played a leveled game.

One question remains: did Germans REALLY thought they wouldn't qualify???

This is so bugging me, because I've read so many people - German and non-German - revealing their disbelief in Germany's capacity. I'm not German and I knew EXACTLY that the game would be like this - not a fabulous offensive game but working well in the counter-attack and doing fabulous in the free-kicks into our area, where German players' height did the difference. It's always like that when we face teams like Germany.

Resignation is an English word as well, and has the same meaning along with being a modified form of resign

Terrific game to which both teams fully contributed. A much improved performance from 'never write off' the Germans. But one has to say that Portugal gifted them two goals on a plate.

Have to get a dig in there don't ya. The Schweingsteiger goal was scored because of great passing by Podolski and Ballack and the other two were because German players exploited Pepe's poor defensive skills. gift goals are own goals and when a defender complete screws up.

I didn't expected a game like this from the german team tonight - Portugal played so much better in the previous round that the two first goals of the German team took me totally by surprise...

Of course I hoped that Germany wins, but I thought Portugal would be the favourite...

One question remains: did Germans REALLY thought they wouldn't qualify???

I can assure you: Many Germans didn't believe in a victory. The performances against Croatia and mostly also against Austria were that abysmal, that the casual German pessimism quickly returned. We simply thought that we now get punished for thinking too much of winning the title beforehand.

But for my part, I have to admit that, when the match was only a couple of hours away this afternoon, I had somewhat a feeling in my guts that we could win, at least in a penalty shoot-out. And when I heard that Jogi Löw (respectively Hansi Flick) would make a major change in the tactical system (as we know now, a change from a rigid 4-4-2 to a 4-2-3-1), my confidence was somewhat substantiated.

But nevertheless, I was still so uncertain that I wouldn't have wanted to place a bet on Germany's victory. That's why it was still a big surprise for me that team Germany really pulled that off. It could as well have turned exactly the opposite way.

And as we could see, it was a very tight race indeed. So once more: Hats off for your team and it's incredible fighting spirit.

Archived