Euro 2008

Germany continue to grow.After the setback against Croatia they have recovered their legendary confidence and discipline and are marching steadily forward.You can never ever count Germany out.

Hard luck to Portugal who let themselves be overwhelmed by Germany in the first half and then rallied to come within a whisker of equalising the match.Unfortunately for them,they just left it a little too late.But they can depart this competition with head held high!

I am now predicting a Holland-Germany final! B)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This just goes to tell that a game is game, no matter the games that happened before.

We may have been first in our group (perhaps the weakest of the four) and have had one day more to rest (fielding a team that rested since the game against Turkey) but what advantage did that bring?

The thing that makes me glad is that with Scolari's parture, that "frangueiro" called Ricardo will lose his (undeserved) golden spot in the national team. He's so overrated since those penalty shootout miracles.

Have to get a dig in there don't ya. The Schweingsteiger goal was scored because of great passing by Podolski and Ballack and the other two were because German players exploited Pepe's poor defensive skills. gift goals are own goals and when a defender complete screws up.

I think that's unfair. While I would agree with you that the first goal is a terrific move, I would urge you to look at the second and third goals again. The second goal is a simple free kick and the marking from Portugal was dreadful. Klose was completely unmarked. To have a player of his quality in the air free like that at a set-piece is bordering on suicide. Then, the third goal came from a catatrosphic mistake from the Portuguese goalkeeper.

I am not having a go at Germany at all. I did say, and I will repeat, that it was a much improved performance from Germany than what we have seen so far in this tournament. But if we're going to fully discuss the game, we have to recognise the fact that Portugal were, to a large extent, the architects of their own downfall.

I think that's unfair. While I would agree with you that the first goal is a terrific move, I would urge you to look at the second and third goals again. The second goal is a simple free kick and the marking from Portugal was dreadful. Klose was completely unmarked. To have a player of his quality in the air free like that at a set-piece is bordering on suicide. Then, the third goal came from a catatrosphic mistake from the Portuguese goalkeeper.

I am not having a go at Germany at all. I did say, and I will repeat, that it was a much improved performance from Germany than what we have seen so far in this tournament. But if we're going to fully discuss the game, we have to recognise the fact that Portugal were, to a large extent, the architects of their own downfall.

Perfect analysis. I agree with every bit, but mostly with the bolded part.

But they weren't gifts, even if you are in space, it doesn't mean you are going to score, there has been plenty of open space headers that haven't found the yet in this tournament. Thats why I wouldn't call them gifts. Klose and Ballack still had to get up there and head the ball properly. The defense and the keeper got beat, thats how your score goals in football. Almost all of the goals in this tournament were because of defenders being beaten and put out of position.

And by saying Portugal was the reason they lost you are completely dismissing the German performance. If you look at Portugal's 6 shots on goal and 12 wide, every one of those 6 shots where straight at Lehmann because of his positioning and the Germans closing openings and those 12 wide shoots weren't coming close to going in.

But they weren't gifts, even if you are in space, it doesn't mean you are going to score, there has been plenty of open space headers that haven't found the yet in this tournament. Thats why I wouldn't call them gifts. Klose and Ballack still had to get up there and head the ball properly. The defense and the keeper got beat, thats how your score goals in football.

If you wouldn't call them gifts, then I would suggest you are exceptionally generous to your team's opponents. An international class centre forward gobbles up the sort of chance that Klose had for breakfast. And Ballack simply could not miss after Ricardo's error. You would have been criticising them had they missed and Germany lost, would you not?

Almost all of the goals in this tournament were because of defenders being beaten and put out of position.

Up to a point. There haven't been that many goals in this tournament which have been assisted by such poor defending as what we saw from Portugal tonight.

And by saying Portugal was the reason they lost you are completely dismissing the German performance. If you look at Portugal's 6 shots on goal and 12 wide, every one of those 6 shots where straight at Lehmann because of his positioning and the Germans closing openings and those 12 wide shoots weren't coming close to going in.

I utterly refute that. I have already said on two occasions that it was a much improved performance from the Germans tonight. But if you look at the period between the second and third German goals, Portugal were on top and always looked the more likely to score. You can argue that individual players took the wrong options, but the momentum appeared to be with them. The third goal really knocked the stuffing out of Portugal. I'd be interested to hear other neutral opinion, but that's how I saw it and, having just watched the highlights again, I won't be changing my mind.

If you wouldn't call them gifts, then I would suggest you are exceptionally generous to your team's opponents. An international class centre forward gobbles up the sort of chance that Klose had for breakfast. And Ballack simply could not miss after Ricardo's error. You would have been criticising them had they missed and Germany lost, would you not?

Up to a point. There haven't been that many goals in this tournament which have been assisted by such poor defending as what we saw from Portugal tonight.

I utterly refute that. I have already said on two occasions that it was a much improved performance from the Germans tonight. But if you look at the period between the second and third German goals, Portugal were on top and always looked the more likely to score. You can argue that individual players took the wrong options, but the momentum appeared to be with them. The third goal really knocked the stuffing out of Portugal. I'd be interested to hear other neutral opinion, but that's how I saw it and, having just watched the highlights again, I won't be changing my mind.

If Germany hadn't played well, Portugal would have most likely won on those 2 goals. Portugal got out performed in the two places it matters, on the score sheet and in defense and that is why Germany won. Germany's defense was better and the Germans took their chances.

Portugal did look dangerous but they did what they also try to do when they are down, they become a team of individuals, you saw that with Ronaldo, Deca, Petit and Pepe, they all tried to go it alone instead of building up plays and Portugal always does this when they are down and it usually results in nothing. With the exception of the two goals (and if you call Ballack and Klose's goals gifts, than Nonu Gomes' was also with Lehmann and Metzelder out of position) none of Portugal's shots and attempts on goal were dangerous. Lehmann was barely tested in this match and didn't have to come up with any big saves.

Woa... Great games, great match, congrat for German ;) , and if they can keep their performance like last night, there will be interesting match in semifinal. My prediction semifinal will be German - Croatia

today's prediction :

Croatia 2 - 0 German

Woa... Great games, great match, congrat for German ;) , and if they can keep their performance like last night, there will be interesting match in semifinal. My prediction semifinal will be German - Croatia

today's prediction :

Croatia 2 - 0 German

You probably mean Croatia-Turkey (at least I hope so ;)).

Anyway, my prediction:

Croatia-Turkey 1-2

If the Turkish team shows just half of the spirit it showed against the Czechs in the final 20 minutes, the Croatians could be knocked out.

Anyway, my prediction:

Croatia-Turkey 1-2

If the Turkish team shows just half of the spirit it showed against the Czechs in the final 20 minutes, the Croatians could be knocked out.

I very much disagree, Volkan Demirel is out with a 2 game ban, Emre Gungor is out, Servet Cetin is questionable, Emre Asik is also questional and Gokhan Zan is not in match fitness. Mehmet Aurelio is out to suspension. Emre Belozoglu and Tumet Metin are also not in good fitness. 8 players are going to be out or not 100%, Turkey does not have enough depth to overcome these injuries, not even teams like Spain, Netherlands, Italy and Germany can survive such injury and suspension troubles. Turkey is gonna be a team on crutches and no matter how much heart or spirit its not gonna be enough to overcome a rested and well prepared Croatian side.

I stick to my 3-0 Croatian win.

I very much disagree, Volkan Demirel is out with a 2 game ban, Emre Gungor is out, Servet Cetin is questionable, Emre Asik is also questional and Gokhan Zan is not in match fitness. Mehmet Aurelio is out to suspension. Emre Belozoglu and Tumet Metin are also not in good fitness. 8 players are going to be out or not 100%, Turkey does not have enough depth to overcome these injuries, not even teams like Spain, Netherlands, Italy and Germany can survive such injury and suspension troubles. Turkey is gonna be a team on crutches and no matter how much heart or spirit its not gonna be enough to overcome a rested and well prepared Croatian side.

I stick to my 3-0 Croatian win.

Well, Portugal was also much more rested than the Germans. Those long resting times can also be a disadvantage, since you lose your rhythm if you have to wait eight days for your next major match. And despite their great game against Germany, I still don't trust in the Croatians that they can keep their performance on a constantly good level.

By the way, Servet Cetin is definitely out according to last night's reports.

What computer is that? Does it calculate the chances of each team with statistical data or is it simply "guessing" the chances?

They put statistical data from each team.

The computer said the Netherlands will winn all it's preliminary matches (what actually happened). That Germany will play against Portugal in the quarter final and Germany is going to the final so they had to win from Portugal. That also happened. All other quarter finals are exactly the same.

But the computer can nog calculate unexpected factors.

However, if the computer is completly right the final will be Germany - Netherlands.

And congratulations to Germany for reaching the semi final.

Anyway, my prediction:

Croatia-Turkey 1-2

I'm sorry, you're right I mean Croatia 2 - 0 Turkey, and I hope Croatia VS German in Semifinal, I support German :)

They put statistical data from each team.

Who is "they"? Does that computer belong to a science institute or a media outlet or something like that? And do you have any links to reports about that computer (also in Dutch, I understand Dutch quite well)?

The computer said the Netherlands will winn all it's preliminary matches (what actually happened). That Germany will play against Portugal in the quarter final and Germany is going to the final so they had to win from Portugal. That also happened. All other quarter finals are exactly the same.

But the computer can nog calculate unexpected factors.

However, if the computer is completly right the final will be Germany - Netherlands.

Well, that computer is very interesting, that's for sure!

And congratulations to Germany for reaching the semi final.

If I may receive those congratulations on behalf of our team ;) : Thanks a lot!

If Germany hadn't played well, Portugal would have most likely won on those 2 goals. Portugal got out performed in the two places it matters, on the score sheet and in defense and that is why Germany won. Germany's defense was better and the Germans took their chances.

But, at the same time, Germany also need to tighten up at the back. Postiga had about as much space as Klose when he scored. I know you'll probably think I'm nitpicking, but I don't think the coach would have been overly impressed with that.

Portugal did look dangerous but they did what they also try to do when they are down, they become a team of individuals, you saw that with Ronaldo, Deca, Petit and Pepe, they all tried to go it alone instead of building up plays and Portugal always does this when they are down and it usually results in nothing. With the exception of the two goals (and if you call Ballack and Klose's goals gifts, than Nonu Gomes' was also with Lehmann and Metzelder out of position) none of Portugal's shots and attempts on goal were dangerous. Lehmann was barely tested in this match and didn't have to come up with any big saves.

I don't think you can call the Nuno Gomes goal a gift. Though Lehmann was committed, he received the ball with his back to goal and had to get his shot away very quickly otherwise he would have been dispossessed.

As for the Portuguese play, of course it became more and more desperate, particularly after that third goal. Nani was particularly guilty of that in my mind after he came on. But, being objective, can you honestly say that Portugal were not more threatening in the period between the second and third German goals? I know I can't.

But, at the same time, Germany also need to tighten up at the back. Postiga had about as much space as Klose when he scored. I know you'll probably think I'm nitpicking, but I don't think the coach would have been overly impressed with that.

No, he wasn't. Jogi Löw addressed that problem in the team's press conference one hour ago and said that they'll work on it.

As for the Portuguese play, of course it became more and more desperate, particularly after that third goal. Nani was particularly guilty of that in my mind after he came on. But, being objective, can you honestly say that Portugal were not more threatening in the period between the second and third German goals? I know I can't.

And I can't either. As I said: Due to the Portuguese' fighting spirit, actually both teams would have deserved to advance to the semi-final.

Who is "they"? Does that computer belong to a science institute or a media outlet or something like that? And do you have any links to reports about that computer (also in Dutch, I understand Dutch quite well)?

Well, that computer is very interesting, that's for sure!

If I may receive those congratulations on behalf of our team ;) : Thanks a lot!

I am going to ask my father where he has read this information. He told me about it, and another friend was talking about it.

It's indeed a very interesting computer. Maybe it could also try to tell us how many medals each country will win at the Olympics;)

About the congratulations: in case the Dutch will win tomorrow I'd like to receive also congratulations on behalf of that team ;)

Archived