Euro 2008

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Turkey didn't deserve it over the course of the match but Croatia didn't deserve it after that shoot-out; it was probably the worst I've ever seen!

... I agree the match was a disaster: boring, boring, boring...

Just the last two minutes of the extra-time and the penalty shoot out was a roller coaster of emotions!

@ emre,

of course you are satisfied with the result and that Turkey has reached the semi-final, but are you satisfied with the abilities of the turkish players during the match?

well we run out of our 4 best players in this game... but even with our back up players we made it :)

the truth is im so happy and honored because we are the only team fights till end of the game.... and man its vienna :) we got some historical things with this city :)

What a dramatic ending, but what of the first 118 minutes I saw was pretty awful. Croatia must feel pretty damn sick, though. Turkey really didn't show anything in an attacking sense. Rarely have I seen a goal crumple a team as completely as that.

In my point of view Croatia lost the match in the first 90 minutes - when Croatia scored in the 119 minute the Croatian player thought that they have reached the semi-final, but the Turkish team didn't give up and fought back - when Turkey scored in the 120 minute the country at the bosporus had the psychological advantage for the penalty shoot out - Croatia might be a good team with great technical merits but the penalties were a disaster - finally Turkey reached the semi-final, because of luck and the fact that they never gave up. It seemed that Croatia was shocked that their technical abilities were not enough to win a match in 120 minutes...

And Faster thought it was totally unrealistic that Turkey could win...

However, in the semi-final, they'll be probably weakened even more in terms of their personnel. Volkan will still be suspended, and he's now joined by Emre, Arda and Tuncay. Nevertheless, they'll probably still be a huge danger if they should trail by one or more goals. But also, I think that Jogi Löw will prepare our players very well for such a situation to prevent that they commit the same fatal defence mistakes as Switzerland, the Czech Republic and now Croatia.

However, one can definitely call the Turkish players the comeback kids of Europe. What an incredible ending to a disappointingly unspectacular match!

And Faster thought it was totally unrealistic that Turkey could win...

However, in the semi-final, they'll be probably weakened even more in terms of their personnel. Volkan will still be suspended, and he's now joined by Emre, Arda and Tuncay. Nevertheless, they'll probably still be a huge danger if they should trail by one or more goals. But also, I think that Jogi Löw will prepare our players very well for such a situation to prevent that they commit the same fatal defence mistakes as Switzerland, the Czech Republic and now Croatia.

However, one can definitely call the Turkish players the comeback kids of Europe. What an incredible ending to a disappointingly unspectacular match!

It was, Turkey was undermanned,hadn't performed particularly well while taking advantage of defensive mistakes and do not have the depth of other teams. But you have to hand it to Turkey, they have done the almost impossible, not many countries could survive the personal problems.

Turkey will be in tough to beat Germany because of the 4 suspensions and injuries, unfortunately I have to work during the match. But after Switzerland, Czech Republic and Croatia, anything is possible for this team. Its been a great year for Turkish football, a team going deep in the Champions League and now into the semis of the European Championships.

Like I said before, Turkey is really a team with full of luck !!! so beware German, German have a better squad, better team, in theory we can say that Germany is above Turkey, but Turkey have a special secret weapon, their lucky charm !!

Today's prediction :

Holland 3 - 0 Russia

I am still in a state of disbelief regarding what happened in last night's match. Somehow, I knew that despite how dull and boring the game was for most of its duration, something unexpected was going to conclude.

First of all, I would like to congratulate Croatia on a game they definitely played a lot better than us. It's quite obvious that they had several excellent opportunities, especially during the first half when they hit the cross bar that could have earned them the much needed victory. In addition to that, they had both excellent midfielders along with a defense line up that prevented Turkey from scoring much on the net. I believe that Turkey barely came out with much shots on net during the second half of the match. Having said that, I wouldn't mind at all had we managed to lose to them, as they came out better on virtually every aspect.

I will agree that Turkey had both a combination of luck and a fighting spirit to continue on with the game until the last minute that made us score the unimaginable equalizing goal. Semih Şentürk took his chance (just as Nihat Kahveci did against the Czechs) with the ball and managed to find the net right in time. I'm of course very much enthusiastic about this victory though we have yet to play like a champion team. We also have a tremendeous amount of good players who are either suspended for earning too much yellow cards (The one against Arda Turan was completely undeserved) or are injured which really all plays to the benefit of the Germans. Anyways, I'm still both shocked and extremely happy by this, though of course when a game comes down to penalty shoot-out to determine the winner, luck of course has a whole lot to do with it. Congratulations to Croatia once again on a well played game and I hope the best for us against the Alman. :lol:

It's funny, I've always wanted those two teams to meet at some sort of International competition in football and my wish finally came true. B)

BBC

Interesting article.

Anyways the odds currently

Germany 9:5

Netherlands 7:2

Spain 5:1

Italy 6:1

Turkey 13:1

Russia 17:1

Finalist

Germany v Netherlands 12:5

Germany v Spain 7:2

Germany v Italy 4:1

Germany v Russia 11:1

Turkey v Netherlands 12:1

Turkey v Spain 15:1 (the one with the best bets)

Turkey v Italy 16:1

Turkey v Russia 33:1

The best bets in my mind are the ones Germany winning and either Sneijder or van Persie being the top goal scorer at around 80:1 (I have put 10 dollars on both, so hopefully they come up big tomorrow)

And for tomorrow

Netherlands 5 - 2 Russia, the Russians are gonna get pasted in my opinion, just like they got pasted by the Spanish.

And since I am in the mind, Spain 2 - 2 Italy, 4-5 on penalties in the 7th round.

Oh and Rafael Nadal is gonna win Wimbledon, Roger is gonna lose in the semi's to Djokovic.

My prediction for today:

Netherlands-Russia 2-0

Oranje will give us yet another demonstration of high football art and dominance. I think that the semi-final (for which I expect Italy as their opponent) could be much, much tougher for them.

Semi final Netherlands-Italy will be very difficult to win.

The Italians will fight back, that's for sure. If the match will be decided by penalties the Dutch team has a difficult task to win. Let's hope they can make it in the ordinary time.

Congrats to Turkey. They may have been lucky but at least you should credit them for having believed till the very end.

Now, it would be really hard to see them repeating twice in that manner in the Semi. It seems Germans gets the way cleared to the final.

As for tonight, I wouldn't underestimate Hiddink's Russia. He knows how to hurt big teams.

Semi final Netherlands-Italy will be very difficult to win.

The Italians will fight back, that's for sure. If the match will be decided by penalties the Dutch team has a difficult task to win. Let's hope they can make it in the ordinary time.

By the way, Torchbearer: You mentioned that that computer calculated a German victory against Turkey. So did you get further information about that computer meanwhile? Where is it? And are there any weblinks about it?

By the way, Torchbearer: You mentioned that that computer calculated a German victory against Turkey. So did you get further information about that computer meanwhile? Where is it? And are there any weblinks about it?

It might be EA, a video game manufacturer that always does projections based on the probabilities they use in the sim option of the game.

Archived