Fifa 2007 Women's World Cup

In fact, the two matches for today was both 3-to-nothing scores in favor of Germany and the USA. In the American team's case, they will face either the Brazilians or the Australians next.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One quarterfinal match for today is completed. Here is the result.

Norway: 1 - China: zero

The home team is now out and that result has set up this semi-final match on September 26th @ Tianjin (8:00pm).

gm-lgflag.gif

GERMANY

VERSUS

no-lgflag.gif

NORWAY

I really don't understand your comment either, Arwebb. I remember very well how I was bashed here when I asked why England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland don't form united British sports federations (especially in football). You told me back then (in the Uefa Don't Let Gibraltar Join thread):

The polls are bearing this out - more and more people feel English, Welsh, Scottish or Irish than ever before. There has been a long-standing Scottish independence movement now for many, many years. So even allowing for the existence of the BOA, so-called "Britishness" appears to be dying.

And:

But none of this alters this basic fact - more and more people in Britain don't feel British. The figures speak for themselves. I identify myself as English first and foremost. If the UK ceased to exist tomorrow, it wouldn't really bother me. This isn't specifically a sporting issue, it is a far wider issue based on a large number of factors.

So you don't feel British and accentuate the separation of your country -- but at the same time, you claim the Olympic participation of an English football team under the name "Great Britain"? Sorry, but if you want to be English and not British, you have to live with the consequences provided by the Olympic rules. You can't be British only whenever it appears opportune to you.

The four best teams of the tournament have qualified for the semis. The best performance so far by German team.

I know, it doesnt sound fair, but i am glad, that England is out. They played weaker against the USA as in the match against Germany. England had not a single chance to score a goal, but not because the US defended so well. No, simply because didn't want to score a goal. How can you play for a draw in an all-or nothing-match? Was England hoping for the penalties? England!?

So, the semis are next and i guess USA against Brazil will be the better one. GER - NOR will be close, but not as good as the other semi. It will the 29th match between Ger and Nor (12/5/11; 47-42 goals). Last match was a 2-2 draw two weeks ago, the last match before the World Cup. A draw but Norway was by far the better team. Nevertheless my betting bureau sees Germany as the favourite.

With the rankings now, if both Germany and the USA win their semi-final matches, it will be the "clash of the titans" between the first and second ranked teams in the world. To round things off here, Norway will most likely take Sweden's place for third in the world because it is fourth right now. Brazil is sitting in eighth place, but it will climb a couple of rankings from there because there isn't much points separating it from 6th-placed Denmark. With Denmark and North Korea out, how Brazil will be placed in the end depends on how Norway deals with Germany here.

As for Canada, it may not be a good idea to know what its ranking will be, after this tournament. All I am going to say is that it will drop to around the 15th place area. Currently, it is placed 9th. But, with China, England and Australia making it into the quarterfinals and Canada didn't, it could lead to its lowest rank in history. Of course, that is saying much because I didn't really keep track of that team's progress until now.

Bravo, bravo, bravo!!!!

The Germans have advanced to the final of the 2007 FIFA Women's World Cup, having beaten Norway 3-0!

The performance of the Norwegians in the second half of the match was remarkably bad and the German victory therefore absolutely deserved. In the first half, however, the Norwegians offered a strong opposition and the Germans were very weak in front of the Norwegian goal.

And now there's the final -- which will undoubtedly be the most difficult match for Germany in this World Cup. The USA as well as Brazil are extremely tough opponents. So it will be a real piece of hard work to finally defend the title as World Champion. I hope that the Germans succeed in that. But I'm far away from being certain.

However, you can imagine: After the Men's World Cup last year, I'm very, very glad that a German team has at least reached a World Cup final again! ;)

Watch out, here comes Brazil! Brazil's team has smashed the US girls with 4-0!

Especially Marta, last year's women's world footballer, did an enormous job -- her trick with which she prepared the 4-0 was nothing short of the artistic skills her male compatriots show on the field.

But her teammate Christiane showed bad sportsmanship in a very pathetic way: She jumped into Team USA's Shannon Boxx's back so that both players fell. The Swiss referee whistled and when she approached Christiane and Boxx, Christiane gestured "two" with her fingers because Boxx had already been cautioned before. Then the referee pulled the second yellow indeed and Boxx had to leave the field -- and Christiane jubilated about it. I've rarely seen such an outrageously wrong referee decision and such a dastard behaviour by a football player (especially by a female football player -- I always thought that they play fairer than men).

Great match by Brazil. If Brazil plays in the final like this, I can foresee a disaster for the German team.

A desaster? I don't see it that negative -- our team has improved since the end of the group stage. Especially our defence is pretty good, and that's the most important: to block Marta's dangerous attacks.

By the way, are we the only ones here who are still interested in the World Cup?

So you don't feel British and accentuate the separation of your country -- but at the same time, you claim the Olympic participation of an English football team under the name "Great Britain"? Sorry, but if you want to be English and not British, you have to live with the consequences provided by the Olympic rules. You can't be British only whenever it appears opportune to you.

That is a totally separate argument, as well you know. The fact of the matter is this. If FIFA did not want a Great Britain team to take part in the London Olympic football tournaments, then it would not have made such efforts to try to bring that participation about. Because of that context, Pandora's box has already been opened.

So, if we accept that there should be a GB team one minute, can we then, particularly in the context of England earning an Olympic qualification spot as of right for both the men's and women's tournaments next year, logically turn round and say no to it the next minute?

And another thing - in curling, we have Scottish teams playing in World and European Championships, but a Great Britain team playing at the Olympics, seemingly without problem. So why the inconsistency?

The four best teams of the tournament have qualified for the semis. The best performance so far by German team.

I know, it doesnt sound fair, but i am glad, that England is out. They played weaker against the USA as in the match against Germany. England had not a single chance to score a goal, but not because the US defended so well. No, simply because didn't want to score a goal. How can you play for a draw in an all-or nothing-match? Was England hoping for the penalties? England!?

I didn't see the game against the USA because I was at a game myself, but from what I've read, we've looked to play to our strengths, which is our defensive organisation. We have struggled going forward, as I seem to recall we did to some extent at Euro 2005, so it is certainly something that we need to address in the coming years.

Having said that, we did as well as could realistically have been expected going into the tournament, and I am pleased with that. And I don't recall anybody criticising Greece for playing to their defensive strength to win Euro 2004.

US goalie Hope Solo is hopping mad over Greg Ryan's decision to replace her with Briana Scurry in the game against Brazil. I don't care about how unprofessional those comments were after the loss--it was the truth. Yes, Briana had success with Brazil historically, but she wasn't anchoring the team up to this point lately. Solo has since apologized for her comments on her MySpace, but she won't be playing in the third place game against Norway. Coaches attack players, so isn't it fair that the reverse gets its turn?

Bottom line, though, is this: for the second consecutive Women's World Cup, the United States will not get a chance to go into the final and instead settle for at least fourth. I knew that Ryan's decision was horribly bad (and it showed), if this was a preliminary game, OK. But it wasn't. Ryan has said that he'll account himself over placing Scurry ahead of Solo. But Scurry is aging, and her time is up. There's no damn need to apologize--it's too damn late for that Solo!! Ryan has got to go! Everyone on that team should be ashamed of themselves for failing... :angry:

Well, the moment has come. Today, it is the final day of the tournament.

First, the battle for THIRD PLACE takes place in Shanghai at 5:00pm China Standard Time: Norway vs. USA.

The final match for the trophy will be between these two nations in Shanghai at 8:00pm China Standard Time.

gm-lgflag.gif

GERMANY

VERSUS

br-lgflag.gif

BRAZIL

Good luck to these 2 teams!

For third place:

USA: 4 - Norway: 1

us-lgflag.gif

Well, this is how the USA did in previous tournaments.

1. China 1991 - winners

2. Sweden 1995 - third place

3. USA 1999 - winners at home

4. USA 2003 - third place at home

As for Norway, here is their record before today.

1. China 1991 - runners-up

2. Sweden 1995 - winners

3. USA 1999 - fourth place

In just over an hour from now, the final match.

Archived