Fifa 2007 Women's World Cup

Well, what a day for tie games here. In fact, all the matches played for today ended up in ties.

Japan: 2 - England: 2

USA: 2 - North Korea: 2

Nigeria: 1 - Sweden: 1

Note: England would have won their match, if the Japanese didn't score its tying goal in the "absolute final minute" at injury time.

Tomorrow's matches are as follows, with the Chinese making their debut on home soil.

- Ghana vs. Australia @ Hangzhou (5:00pm)

- Norway vs. Canada @ Hangzhou (8:00pm)

- New Zealand vs. Brazil @ Wuhan (5:00pm)

- CHINA vs. Denmark @ Wuhan (8:00pm)

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Team USA was lucky to get 2-2 draw against North Korea. Group B is really the group of death.

I know it doesn't sound fair but i really hope Sweden (or Denmark) wont survive the group stages. Only the three best European teams of the four teams DEN, NOR, SWE and GER (England doesn´t count) will qualify for the Olympics.

England does count, the women's English team can earn a spot at the Olympics and will compete as Great Britain because of the agreements between the 4 home nations, its the same deal as the curling teams have.

I would hate to think how bad Brazil is when they get beat by Argentina to win the South American Championships and they still get thumped by Germany.

It would be funny if Group B finished with everyone on 3 points.

England does count, the women's English team can earn a spot at the Olympics and will compete as Great Britain because of the agreements between the 4 home nations, its the same deal as the curling teams have.

I would hate to think how bad Brazil is when they get beat by Argentina to win the South American Championships and they still get thumped by Germany.

It would be funny if Group B finished with everyone on 3 points.

Actually the final decision was made on September 6th that this is now not the case, so goethe you were right to begin with

Here is my source:

UEFA

Olympic prize

All 16 teams are aiming for the final in Shanghai on 30 September. There is also an additional prize on offer for Germany, Norway, Denmark and Sweden as the three best finishers among that quartet will return to China next year for the Olympic Games women's football tournament. England, under FIFA regulations, will not be eligible to enter the 2008 games as the United Kingdom.

Two of the matches for today has been completed. The two others, which includes the home team, will be played soon.

Brazil: 5 - New Zealand: zero

br-lgflag.gif

Australia: 4 - Ghana: 1

as-lgflag.gif

China- Denmark 3-2....

Good game. Bad result¨.So I actually sat down and watched the second half of the game, not being a big fan of womens soccer this was a irst for me, only to realice that i think I went to high school with one of the players...Odd...

With the way the CBC explained things, when it comes to the history between Norway and Canada here, it was expected that Norway would be the best of the two. Like, Canada has never won one women's soccer match against them ever so far.

no-lgflag.gif

As for the home team of China, that was a bit of a surprise though. Denmark is supposed to be the better of the two, according to the world rankings, but China did have a home field advantage. So, the match overall could have gone either way.

ch-lgflag.gif

Anyway, that was it for today. No matches for tomorrow, but here are them for the 14th.

- Argentina vs. Japan @ Shanghai (5:00pm)

- England vs. Germany @ Shanghai (8:00pm)

- Sweden vs. USA @ Chengdu (5:00pm)

- North Korea vs. Nigeria @ Chengdu (8:00pm)

So every team has played once, i think not much has changed. USA is still my favourite. North Korea is really a threat to all the other teams. Group C will be dominated by Brazil and China, but the Chinese goalkeeper has to improve. Norway was strong as expected, but to come from 0-1 down to win against Canada shows their spirit and strength. Canada will qualify over Australia in group D. Germany will safely qualify for the quarterfinals and i think Japan will be the second team from group A.

My prediction:

1 USA

2 North Korea

3 Norway

4 Brazil

Norway, Germany and Sweden will qualify for the Olympics next year. Denmark will miss out.

Wow. I didn't know that the current World Cup will determine UEFA's qualified teams for Beijing 2008. This is a quote from the FIFA website about it.

"The top three European finishers at the FIFA Women's World Cup China 2007 (10-30 September 2007) will qualify for the Olympic Football Tournament 2008."

So, only using the current women's world rankings here, Goethe's post pretty much explains it. Of course, we will see how the China 2007 tournament result looks like in the end.

What an uninspiring performance by both teams!! :(

If this is the future of football, i wont watch it anymore. :( :( :(

The German team is weaker than four years ago, no doubt about it, but the pitch was a disaster. You cant play a good short pass game on a pitch like this. England did absolutely nothing for the match. They stood with 11 women in their own half.

Sorry, i am in a negative mood. But when will the teams from the British island finally realize, that they are destroying the game with the way they are playing? Sorry again, but shame on Scotland (in the Euro qualification) and shame on this English team.

Both teams will struggle against the USA and North Korea in the quarter final.

@Rob: I really cant understand, why an expert and a real football fan like you is celebrating this result.

So every team has played once, i think not much has changed. USA is still my favourite. North Korea is really a threat to all the other teams. Group C will be dominated by Brazil and China, but the Chinese goalkeeper has to improve. Norway was strong as expected, but to come from 0-1 down to win against Canada shows their spirit and strength. Canada will qualify over Australia in group D. Germany will safely qualify for the quarterfinals and i think Japan will be the second team from group A.

My prediction:

1 USA

2 North Korea

3 Norway

4 Brazil

Norway, Germany and Sweden will qualify for the Olympics next year. Denmark will miss out.

Oh i am such a fool! :mellow:

Of course England will qualify over Japan in group A and Sweden will probably miss the Olympics next year, not Denmark.

Please dont call me am expert anymore! ;):lol:

What an uninspiring performance by both teams!! :(

If this is the future of football, i wont watch it anymore. :( :( :(

The German team is weaker than four years ago, no doubt about it, but the pitch was a disaster. You cant play a good short pass game on a pitch like this. England did absolutely nothing for the match. They stood with 11 women in their own half.

Sorry, i am in a negative mood. But when will the teams from the British island finally realize, that they are destroying the game with the way they are playing? Sorry again, but shame on Scotland (in the Euro qualification) and shame on this English team.

Both teams will struggle against the USA and North Korea in the quarter final.

@Rob: I really cant understand, why an expert and a real football fan like you is celebrating this result.

Quite simple really. We are in our first World Cup for 12 years. We are playing the reigning World Champions who have beaten us in 15 out of 16 previous meetings. I haven't seen the game, but I was following it at work and the impression I got was that it was a solid, resolute performance by an England side who could quite easily have won the game themselves. I don't know what you're worried about really. You should beat Japan, shouldn't you?

Today's results.

Japan: 1 - Argentina: zero

ja-lgflag.gif

USA: 2 - Sweden: zero

us-lgflag.gif

North Korea: 2 - Nigeria: zero

kn-lgflag.gif

And, one tie score.

England: zero - Germany: zero

Tomorrow's matches.

- Canada vs. Ghana @ Hangzhou (5:00pm)

- Australia vs. Norway @ Hangzhou (8:00pm)

- Denmark vs. New Zealand @ Wuhan (5:00pm)

- CHINA vs. Brazil @ Wuhan (8:00pm)

I will be watching Canada-Ghana. Its a must win for us, but, after the thumping they suffered against Australia I am not too worried ^^.

I will be watching Canada-Ghana. Its a must win for us, but, after the thumping they suffered against Australia I am not too worried ^^.

Huh? Don't you mean Norway? :huh:

OMG!!!

That was the best result ever!!!

I would love to have seen it...

if you love the women´s football and the results with a lot of goals you have to see the Argentina 8- Chile 0 (12 November 2006) of the Conmebol Preliminaries...

He means Ghana. He's not worrying because they got beat badly by Australia.

Exactly. The important game will be Australia-Canada, but I believe Canada has the better team. The important thing, thought, is to try to score as much as possible against Ghana so we can still go trough on goal differential if we draw against Australia.

That's not true at all. England had plenty of the ball in the German half and were it not for a poor final ball in virtually all our attacks we could have scored two or three; I don't know which game you were watching but I thought it was very good for a 0-0, very technical and actually quite an intruiging battle. Both teams defended very well which makes a refreshing change in women's football (I've always found the defending in the women's games I've seen (mostly FA Cup) to be diabolical).

I think your statement is very unfair on an England who weren't given a chance by many in this match and who fought until the final whistle to get a credible draw against the World Champions. Arwebb's impression was completely right despite only half following the game. Having watched the whole of the match and reached a completely different conclusion, I can only take you analysis to be a case of sour grapes. Sorry Goethe.

You got one thing right in your analysis: The pitch was rubbish. My local park has better grass than the pitch in Shaghai.

England (men) have been pretty clueless the last few years, but our last two performances have been encouraging, scoring six in our last two games. As for Scotland, what did you expect them to do against a French team who on paper should have troucned them? They got their tactics spot on (again) and won out; not all games can be goal-fests, you know. If an outsider topping a group which includes France, Italy and Ukraine is "destroying the game" for you then so be it. I think it makes the game more exciting.

Talking of goal-fests. Wales scored 5 away from home last week, I think that's pretty good going actually. Northern Ireland have also been holding their own despite being a relative minnow and have quite a talent in David Healy who has a fabulous goals:game ratio.

I think saying we're destroying the game is really melodramatic. The fact that three of the four teams in the UK are relative outsiders in their qualification groups means they can be exused for sometimes playing defensive football and hitting teams on the counter. With regard to England, I agree with you to an extent. We should be putting in performances, but until recently, haven't. But I don't think that through a desire to play ultra-defensive football, it's just that our team hasn't gelled properly for a while, that's all. I have to say (and don't take this the wrong way) but that's pretty ironic statement from a German fan. Suddenly your team is playing with some flair after years of sitting back on 1-0 leads and you think you wrote the book on Total Football!?!

Britain is "destroying the game"?! That must be one of the most over-the-top statements I've read on this forum for a while!!

As I said, I found it to be an intruiging technical battle. And I'm celebrating the result because if we win against Argentina, we're in the QFs. Isn't that obvious?

Exactly. The important game will be Australia-Canada, but I believe Canada has the better team. The important thing, thought, is to try to score as much as possible against Ghana so we can still go trough on goal differential if we draw against Australia.

I see now. Must be TGIF in my head. Anyway, Canada did pretty good against the Norwegian team, despite losing to them. I hope that the women's team will be composed and get ready for the next match.

Goethe, I don't recall you, or anyone else for that matter, claiming that Greece were killing football when they won the European Championship with fairly defensive tactics in 2004. The art of defending is just as important as the art of cutting defences open and scoring goals.

What exactly do you expect teams like Scotland to do when they're playing the World Cup finallists away from home? Lie down in a quiet corner and die? If they're good enough, teams like France will break teams like Scotland down in the end. The French didn't, because they weren't good enough to do so. Simple.

Sometimes, I get right royally sick of it when people talk about "performance". The only thing that should matter is results. Winning breeds a winning mentality. Frankly, I couldn't give a stuff how my teams play as long as they win games. It's up to the opposition to do better and if they can't that's their problem.

Archived