Jump to content

Recommended Posts

loved mdison chok even bates USA in the team event.
In the mens figure part of it,even though Japan were the best I stylistically preferred Canada even though he fell alot!!!
in the women's I also stylistically preferred Canada.
Im not keen on all this flailing about like they have been hiting the bottle before they step on the ice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you are going to see age restrictions come into figure skating like gymnastics. The last 10 years since the height of the Japanese/Kim Yuna has seen a revolving door of 14-16 year old girls skating and pushing the envelope of the sport at the risk of their bodies through bad technical jumping. Since the code of points only scores based on edges, foot placement, rotation and landing; they can get away with the horrible technique.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Faster said:

I think you are going to see age restrictions come into figure skating like gymnastics. The last 10 years since the height of the Japanese/Kim Yuna has seen a revolving door of 14-16 year old girls skating and pushing the envelope of the sport at the risk of their bodies through bad technical jumping. Since the code of points only scores based on edges, foot placement, rotation and landing; they can get away with the horrible technique.

You think so? As long as Russia is the major power in figure skating and present their teenagers like that, nothing will change.
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some nice performances in the men's individual
I liked the attitude of  Australia I think he must have been just pushed out of the qualification
I also liked Azerbaijan and Georgia,
USA Jason brawn was incredible .
I also liked France.

out of every thing I have seen so far I think my favourite performance is Mdison Chok Even Bates USA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So what‘s going on in the doping case? Seems like no new developments, at least publicly, today.

Valiyeva was practicing apparently, pretending all is normal. But using Trimetazidin (like swimmer Sun Yang) s clearly forbidden. Interesting times…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Soooo glad Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON are through to the final

I actually thought they were much more in sync than the French( the French slipped out of sync about three times.
There lion King routine which Im presuming they will do in th final is  MUCH!!!!! More creative , and shows of there stylistic  flare much better.. so it should be a very interesting final

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/7/2022 at 1:52 PM, Faster said:

I think you are going to see age restrictions come into figure skating like gymnastics. The last 10 years since the height of the Japanese/Kim Yuna has seen a revolving door of 14-16 year old girls skating and pushing the envelope of the sport at the risk of their bodies through bad technical jumping. Since the code of points only scores based on edges, foot placement, rotation and landing; they can get away with the horrible technique.

On 2/7/2022 at 2:11 PM, StefanMUC said:

You think so? As long as Russia is the major power in figure skating and present their teenagers like that, nothing will change.

It's happening - news broke on Monday, before the Valieva story, that the ISU Executive Council passed a proposal (86% in favor) this week to put forth a gradual age increase for all senior competitors at the ISU Congress to be held this June.  It will go from the current 15 to 16 in the 2023-24 season, and then increase again, to 17, in the 2024-25 season.  Most proposals from the ISU Exec Council are passed with minimal debate by the Congress, so there was little doubt this would pass.  And now, with the Valieva situation, there seems to be a sentiment that skaters competing on the senior level should be old enough to not fall under the "Protected Person" status of WADA's Anti-Doping Code.  It's a sizable shift from where the figure skating community was, even a few months ago, but it's necessary at this point.

On 2/6/2022 at 5:07 PM, Faster said:

The team trophy needs to go. It is just not compelling and should be replaced with synchro

The skaters LOVE the Team Event.  Don't expect it to go away any time soon. Synchro is working on their own proposal to be added to the Olympic program, with smaller (12 skaters) teams.  If anything should be dropped and replaced by Synchro, due to a lack of international competitiveness, it's Women's Ice Hockey, but that won't happen, so we'll see if Synchro can get in for 2026.

On 2/10/2022 at 3:09 AM, The Tower Bridge Fox said:

Creativly Brown was much!!!!!!!!! better than Chen.

Eh.  His Short Program is one of the best skating programs I've ever seen, but his Free Skate is pretty dull, IMO.  Chen has outgrown his "Rocketman" FS in the last 2 years - his FS last year was much better, but it was fine for the Olympics, and his SP is wonderful - best I've seen him skate "La Boheme" was during the Men's individual event - so expressive and really hit the musical highlights.

5 hours ago, The Tower Bridge Fox said:

Soooo glad Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON are through to the final

I actually thought they were much more in sync than the French( the French slipped out of sync about three times.
There lion King routine which Im presuming they will do in th final is  MUCH!!!!! More creative , and shows of there stylistic  flare much better.. so it should be a very interesting final

I can tell you don't follow figure skating if you were worried that Fear/Gibson would make it through to the Free Dance.  They finished about where they were expected to finish today, but I won't be surprised if they drop behind Hawayek/Baker tomorrow - Kaitlin & Jean-Luc's FD this season is SOOOOO beautiful.  I love me the fabulous Disco Brits as much as any other fan but their Lion King FD isn't their best work.  Hopefully next season they'll get something better. 

And, no one else in the world is in the same class as Papadakis/Cizeron.  NO ONE.  I'm not even a particular fan of theirs but they are truly several cuts above the rest of the field in Beijing.  They didn't slip out of synch at all - they delivered their Rhythm Dance today superbly.  I've seen it several times already this season and today was just like a chef's kiss.  

But, yeah, tomorrow should be interesting.  I'll be curious to see if Hubbell/Donohue can hold onto a medal - they tripped in the Free Dance in 2018 and lost out on bronze as a result.  I'm hoping they can move ahead of Sinitsina/Katsalapov, whose FD this season is crap.  I love the Spaniards FD this season so much - wouldn't mind if they pulled ahead of the #2 Canadians (Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen).  

On 2/10/2022 at 9:24 AM, StefanMUC said:

So what‘s going on in the doping case? Seems like no new developments, at least publicly, today.

Valiyeva was practicing apparently, pretending all is normal. But using Trimetazidin (like swimmer Sun Yang) s clearly forbidden. Interesting times…

CAS is hearing the IOC/WADA/ISU appeal Sunday evening (Beijing time) and hope to have a decision by Monday afternoon in Beijing.  Valieva is allowed to practice because RUSADA lifted the provisional ban (that's what is being appealed - WADA/IOC/ISU are saying that RUSADA misapplied the procedures).  I don't think she's pretending all is normal - she's been running the gauntlet of the Mixed Zone with her hoodie pulled up and completely closed to avoid the media questions and apparently broke down in tears at the end of her practice session yesterday - those of us in the US have seen some of the Women's practice cams when NBC has made them available on their Peacock platform.  If the appeal is upheld by CAS then Valieva will be out - and ROC won't be able to replace her because the SP draw has been held already - the ISU doesn't allow for replacement of athletes once the draw has taken place.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ice Dance got it right.  Papadakis & Cizeron are a few cuts above the rest.  Sinitsina & Katsapalov are 2nd best and a little better than the 2 US couples.  While I am sorry for Chock & Bates (whom I like), this time, the other Madison & Donohue clearly had a better program.  Was never sold on that "ET-Astronaut" routine of Chock-Bates.  It didn't sing for me. 

I guess for Milano, Greene & Parsons move up; and Carriere-Ponomarkeno as well for the US teams.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/14/2022 at 7:16 AM, The Tower Bridge Fox said:

Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON show fantastic creative opinion and attitude when they skate (not reflected in there 10th place)
Im sure they will be in medal contention next time.

Hard to say.  There are a lot of factors at play - like who sticks around through Milan, as well as what the judging code rewards in the next quad, and that's not really known yet.  They're very good with the choreo elements but still have a lot of work to do on their levels with the step sequences.  Personally, I'm hoping that the judging code requires some closed dance holds next quad because I think there's too much of the open and side-by-side "dancing" at this time.  

As far as who sticks around - Fear/Gibson are going to have to work a lot harder at maximizing their choreo elements and lifts to catch up with at team like Chock/Bates, who do this even better.  I don't see them surpassing Stepanova/Bukin of Russia if they stay for another quad.  I can see them moving ahead of Guignard/Fabbri despite G/F's superior skating skills - for me, G/F while lovely just lack that "it" factor that would take them to the next level.  I can also see them moving ahead of Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen, who've only said they're in through Montreal Worlds in 2024, but FB/S are going to have the Canada #1 push next season that might keep them ahead of F/G.  I also don't see Fear/Gibson staying ahead of Hawayek/Baker, who were sidelined for the early part of this season with Hawayek's concussion injury.  The Olympics were a gift for Fear/Gibson, just to remain in the top 10 because they were surpassed, all season, by teams/countries they were ahead of last season.  They should be in contention for a medal at Euros next season, though because the field is going to thin out considerably with expected retirements.  

On 2/14/2022 at 7:57 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

Ice Dance got it right.  Papadakis & Cizeron are a few cuts above the rest.  Sinitsina & Katsapalov are 2nd best and a little better than the 2 US couples.  While I am sorry for Chock & Bates (whom I like), this time, the other Madison & Donohue clearly had a better program.  Was never sold on that "ET-Astronaut" routine of Chock-Bates.  It didn't sing for me. 

I guess for Milano, Greene & Parsons move up; and Carriere-Ponomarkeno as well for the US teams.  

I didn't love the Alien & Astronaut Love Story program from Chock/Bates as much as the Snake Charmer program, but there were some nice moments.  I'm fine with them coming in 4th because they had issues in the Rhythm Dance.  I thought Hubbell/Donohue should have been much closer to Sinitsina/Katsalapov after the RD, and S/K have a much easier program, but they do have their strengths.  It was pretty close and, in the end, I'm fine with the results - mostly because Katsalapov managed to save his two best skates of the season for the Ice Dance event.

US teams going forward - Green/Parsons are clearly going to challenge Hawayek/Baker next season for US #2, since it sounds like Chock/Bates are probably sticking around for at least next year.  Carreira/Ponomarenko bounced back nicely after Nationals with the bronze at Four Continents and I guess that Anthony has a knee or foot injury that is going to require surgery in the off-season, so we'll see how they do next year, but they're by no means the clear #3.  Both Bratti/Somerville (brand new team this season) and Wolfkostin/Chen (coming up from juniors - he's Karen Chen's little brother, btw) beat C/P at Nats and they're really exciting teams.  I don't think it's all that obvious, right now, which three US teams will be competing in Milano.  The US ice dance pipeline is as strong as ever, especially when you look at some of the junior teams who are going to stay junior next season and probably won't be competitive for major international assignments (4CCs, Worlds, Olympics) until the 27-30 cycle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2022 at 4:16 AM, The Tower Bridge Fox said:

Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON show fantastic creative opinion and attitude when they skate (not reflected in there 10th place)
Im sure they will be in medal contention next time.

i still prefer John and Sinead Kerr - way ahead of their time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone know if there is a figure skating gala happening this year? Checked various sites and seems nothing is confirmed. There is a listing on the Eurosport site, but not on the official IOC website.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SkiFreak said:

Anyone know if there is a figure skating gala happening this year? Checked various sites and seems nothing is confirmed. There is a listing on the Eurosport site, but not on the official IOC website.

Yes, the gala is happening.  Invited to skate so far:

Men - Nathan Chen USA, Yuma Kagiyama JPN, Shoma Uno JPN, Yuzuru Hanyu JPN, Boyang Jin CHN, Morisi Kvitelashvili GEO, Keegan Messing CAN, Vincent Zhou USA
Dance - Gabriella Papadakis/Guillaume Cizeron FRA, Victoria Sinitsina/Nikita Katsalapov ROC, Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue USA, Madison Chock/Evan Bates USA, Charlene Guignard/Marco Fabbri ITA, Piper Gilles/Paul Poirier CAN, Olivia Smart/Adrian Diaz ESP, Shiyue Wang/Xinyu Liu CHN
Women - Anna Shcherbakova ROC, Alexandra Trusova ROC, Kaori Sakamoto, JPN, Young You KOR, Alysa Liu USA, Loena Hendrickx BEL 
Pairs - TBA after the FS (but I'd bet hard cash on Wenjing Sui/Cong Han CHN and Cheng Peng/Yang Jin CHN being invited)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Karenina said:

Yes, the gala is happening.  Invited to skate so far:

Men - Nathan Chen USA, Yuma Kagiyama JPN, Shoma Uno JPN, Yuzuru Hanyu JPN, Boyang Jin CHN, Morisi Kvitelashvili GEO, Keegan Messing CAN, Vincent Zhou USA
Dance - Gabriella Papadakis/Guillaume Cizeron FRA, Victoria Sinitsina/Nikita Katsalapov ROC, Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue USA, Madison Chock/Evan Bates USA, Charlene Guignard/Marco Fabbri ITA, Piper Gilles/Paul Poirier CAN, Olivia Smart/Adrian Diaz ESP, Shiyue Wang/Xinyu Liu CHN
Women - Anna Shcherbakova ROC, Alexandra Trusova ROC, Kaori Sakamoto, JPN, Young You KOR, Alysa Liu USA, Loena Hendrickx BEL 
Pairs - TBA after the FS (but I'd bet hard cash on Wenjing Sui/Cong Han CHN and Cheng Peng/Yang Jin CHN being invited)

What? No Valieva, Jimmy MacElroy, or Chazz Michael Michaels? :o

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...